• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a conversation with a PA Trump voter at work and I think I got some seeds of doubt planted in him. He knows I like politics so he came up to me and asked what I thought about the protests. I told him I think they're good and that people are expressing their fears. He told me he heard they were paid off and I told him to be careful about fake news sources and showed him the WaPo article about the fake news guy admitting he posted fake ads for protestors on Craigslist, which surprised him. Gave him some more examples of fake news and what he has too ok out for. We talked about cabinet appointments and he thought that some of them were bad but really wants Trey Gowdy to be AG to take down Crooked Hillary. I told him how the emails and Benghazi were overblown and gave some reasons and he was, again, surprised about the Comey/Wikileaks/Russia stuff.

He told me he thinks Trump won because people are disgusted with Hillary's corruption and I went on for a while about why it was the Rust Belt in particular that lost it for her. I avoided talking about race since he didn't bring it up, but I would have to have been careful about that since I'm at work. He agreed that it was those states that caused her to lose because "NAFTA is the worst trade deal ever and she called it the gold standard". I spent like 15 minutes after that telling him how NAFTA actually works, why the job losses are more related to automation and somewhat China, and how the jobs won't come back and UBI is needed. I am sure you will also be happy to know that I did NOT PROPOSE COMMUNISM as a solution because I didn't want to scare him off, but I did explain how we need something like UBI because businesses are privately owned and people will continue to become more desperate as jobs are automated away without a replacement since they can't control the capital. He asked me for more info on UBI and said he'd look into it and seemed genuinely troubled by some of the stuff I told him about Trump's positions and how it will be difficult anyway with much of the GOP being against his economics.

So we'll see how that goes. His absolute reliance on talking points was very telling though.
I had a similar situation talking with a Republican friend. He didn't vote for Trump but thought both sides were terrible and thinks Reagan was the best thing ever, but we talked about politics because he's polite and pretty not-racist and we had a pretty fruitful discussion about why voter ID laws are bad. I tried to say "I know this sounds pretty partisan of me" but he seemed to get it at the end, unless he was just humoring me. I dunno if I'll ever turn him into a social democrat but it was nice to see some sort of payoff there.

chadskin

@IvanCNN:
Earlier, Donald and Ivanka Trump, & Gen Flynn met w/ Japanese PM Abe. I deleted handout photo after learning Trump had denied press access.

So you have never seen this photo, k?

Cxgo1BSUoAAHjzF.jpg

Looking forward to buy a pair of the shoes Ivanka's wearing tomorrow on www.ivankatrump.com!

thcsquad

It's ancient and population was more spread out. They seemingly never considered the densification of people in specfic geographical areas.

That's not true at all. Agrarian populism vs urban cosmopolitanism was the main political fight back then too. But back then, the interests of the former were heavily about slavery.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's not true at all. Agrarian populism vs urban cosmopolitanism was the main political fight back then too. But back then, the interests of the former were heavily about slavery.

I seriously doubt they predicted the sheer differences in population density.

They were afraid the not slave holding cities would overthrow the great southern (and heavily rural) institution just by having more people.

All problems in the Constitution are either

1. Paranoia about a monarchy seizing power again
2. Relics of roundabout ways to protect slavery
UGH.

I bet Thomas Jefferson with his shitty agrarian slavery utopia nonsense came up with the idea of giving farmers an equal voice as urban centers.

royalan

: /

Still don't understand how the Central Park Five case wasn't talked about more...

He wanted 5 innocent kids murdered, even once they were exonerated by DNA evidence

Because we live in a racist ass society with a shitty ass media and it's time people got that.

It's like how suddenly drug addiction is a problem.

I see what Obama's saying about the Senate, but it was supposed to keep states balanced with the smaller states. House was suppose to represent the people, but gerrymandering fucked that up.

I was wondering if the states should do something like in the House race if the state voted the majority for the a party the winning party will get the percentage of that the win. Winning 60% of the state would give the party 60% of the districts, plus little extra for winning the majority. The districts can stay and the primaries can still be in each individual district because they are meant to represent the people in their district.

Probably not a good idea though since it would only work in bigger states.

Or they can add like 50 more house members who gets the most votes nationally will win them all.

Maengun1

Honestly it's ridiculous that BOTH the # of Senators rule AND the electoral college sway power to small states to that degree in the name of "fairness" -_-. Cities just totally overpowered.

I'm very concerned/basically hopeless about continued voter suppression fuckery in the next 4 years as well. You know they're all jacking each other off about how well it worked in NC and WI this year, and with complete power now .... fuuuukkkkckkkk

I see what Obama's saying about the Senate, but it was supposed to keep states balanced with the smaller states. House was suppose to represent the people, but gerrymandering fucked that up.

I was wondering if the states should do something like in the House race if the state voted the majority for the a party the winning party will get the percentage of that the win. Winning 60% of the state would give the party 60% of the districts, plus little extra for winning the majority. The districts can stay and the primaries can still be in each individual district because they are meant to represent the people in their district.

Probably not a good idea though since it would only work in bigger states.

Or they can add like 50 more house members who gets the most votes nationally will win them all.

Rather than additional members for winning the national popular vote, you could reduce the number of districts and have a pool of "free representatives" who's purpose is to make the states House presence proportional to the state vote (New Zealand does something like this).

An extremely anti-Hillary dude who deleted me from Facebook during the primary just inserted himself into a conversation I was having with a mutual friend, to tell me that I need to chill out and work on how I try to appeal to people.

I told him to fuck off (I used nicer words), but I hate it when certain people have the ability to get under your skin. It's still bothering me and it happened half an hour ago :/

Diablos

: /

Still don't understand how the Central Park Five case wasn't talked about more...

He wanted 5 innocent kids murdered, even once they were exonerated by DNA evidence
I can. He's a man who tends to not care about facts. He's fueled by gut feeling and sometimes even conspiracy theories!

Man, I've been feeling better over the past couple days but sometimes I get anxiety while trying to sleep trying to think about what this country goes through with Trump as President.

Just knowing that this country went from Obama to Trump is a tragedy. A legit tragedy.

The mixed-member proportionality system Germany uses is interesting. Basically you cast two votes, one for a representative from your district and then a second vote for a party. The second vote determines the proportions held by each party in the chamber, with additional members being seated from party lists as needed to make the numbers work out.

Trump is claiming that he kept a plant from moving to Mexico when it was never going to move to Mexico and he is probably fabricating a phone call too.

https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/799455529756139521

The president of the United States assumes people have no grip on reality or he has no grip on reality or some combination of the two.
He's relaying that information to his state-run propaganda arm of his office brietbart news. They will make sure this piece of propaganda bypasses all the mainstream networks and flows directly to facebook inboxes and twitter feeds. Tomorrow all your moron co-workers will be talking about how Trump brought back Ford jobs from Mexico.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Honestly it's ridiculous that BOTH the # of Senators rule AND the electoral college sway power to small states to that degree in the name of "fairness" -_-. Cities just totally overpowered.

I'm very concerned/basically hopeless about continued voter suppression fuckery in the next 4 years as well. You know they're all jacking each other off about how well it worked in NC and WI this year, and with complete power now .... fuuuukkkkckkkk
That's what scares the shit out of me. Even if we mount a resistance, they'll be able to stop us so can't do a damn thing.

He's relaying that information to his state-run propaganda arm of his office brietbart news. They will make sure this piece of propaganda bypasses all the mainstream networks and flows directly to facebook inboxes and twitter feeds. Tomorrow all your moron co-workers will be talking about how Trump brought back Ford jobs from Mexico.

I just hope the media is glad that they helped make the man who wants to destroy the fabric of reality the president by breathlessly reporting on "oh my god, emails were on Weiner's computer!!!"

That the last 9 days of election news, jesus christ.

Rather than additional members for winning the national popular vote, you could reduce the number of districts and have a pool of "free representatives" who's purpose is to make the states House presence proportional to the state vote (New Zealand does something like this).

Probably a better idea. I think each state having two senators is fine. The problem is the House.

It's actually not just the Senate.
The House overrepresents small states too due to the limit on the number of Representatives.
And consequently both distort the Electoral College.

This is something that Democrats will need to do something about when they eventually retake power, whenever that may be.

Kid Heart

Trump is claiming that he kept a plant from moving to Mexico when it was never going to move to Mexico.

https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/799455529756139521

The president of the United States assumes people have no grip on reality or he has no grip on reality or some combination of the two.

Fighting the deluge of lies that Trump will try to pass off as news is going to be really tiring these next few years. I sincerely hope the media is preparing for this as even they have to know the mess that is coming. :/

chadskin

The mixed-member proportionality system Germany uses is interesting. Basically you cast two votes, one for a representative from your district and then a second vote for a party. The second vote determines the proportions held by each party in the chamber, with additional members being seated from party lists as needed to make the numbers work out.

Most importantly, despite 16 federal states, the popular vote actually decides the winner. ;)

Wag

I know this is an odd place to post it (since I was permanently juinored I can't start a post), but how do I embed a Tweet? I want to post a political tweet.

I see the [tweet]value[/tweet] command but when I post the link all it does is say, "view tweet". Does it show up as an actual post on the site or is it just a link to the tweet?

I know this is an odd place to post it (since I was permanently juinored I can't start a post), but how do I embed a Tweet? I want to post a political tweet.

I see the [tweet]value[/tweet] command but when I post the link all it does is say, "view tweet". Does it show up as an actual post on the site or is it just a link to the tweet?

You can't embed tweets on here unfortunately~

Wag

You can't embed tweets on here unfortunately~

I find that odd because the posting codes for the site clearly show the "[tweet]<value>[/ tweet]" command. Does it just not work?

I assume everyone else is just taking a screenshot?

Just got a call from my friend Bill Ford, Chairman of Ford, who advised me that he will be keeping the Lincoln plant in Kentucky - no Mexico

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/799432403727028224

Regardless, here's the Tweet I wanted to post. Trump is taking credit for keeping a Ford plant open.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-ford-motor-idUSKBN13D08J

Ford has repeatedly said it has no plans to close any U.S. plants and likely could not do so under the terms of the current United Auto Workers contract that expires in 2019.

So ironic. So he's taking credit for something the UAW accomplished- a union he would most likely try to bust once in office.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
WTF is this garbage? This is beyond tacky, it's 3rd World countries' dictators idea of "class". The hideous gold, those fugly chairs, that table, the fucking palm leaves...vomit.

Well, it's actually rather subdued for Trump. Normally there'd also be roman columns.

EDIT: Never mind, those are in the back.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Predictions:

Obama will be a playable leader in the Civilization series.

Trump will be a playable leader in the Tropico series.

I've also gained 8 lbs. in the last 3 weeks because of politics. Fuck this shit.

Tamanon

Banned

We briefly had the ability to embed tweets but it went ..... poorly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We briefly had the ability to embed tweets but it went ..... poorly.

That's the story of most fun additions. Remember embedding video? Or when we'd get notifications of when we were quoted? That was all good stuff that went poorly...to put it mildly.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's the story of most fun additions. Remember embedding video? Or when we'd get notifications of when we were quoted? That was all good stuff that went poorly...to put it mildly.

The bolded was performance issue related.

We should seriously implement this extension though as as standard for desktop neogaf.

The decorating style of a hobo that hit the lottery.
lol seriously.

Does anyone remember the episode of Rugrats when Chaz wins the lottery? And decides to get a new wardrobe, car, furniture etc. That seems like Trump except constant. Just burning through all that cash.

I think if someone dropped a million in my bank account tomorrow I would probably just buy a bunch of video games and coast. I dunno.

Holmes

Being able to see when you were quoted was peak NeoGAF.

Chumley

Banned
What's so striking about Trump's vision of opulence is just how dated and garish it is. It reminds me of the interior decor of all of my family in Indiana then coated with gilt and other signifiers of "wealth"

It's ugly as fuck and doesn't even look comfortable. Rich people sometimes have such trash taste.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's ugly as fuck and doesn't even look comfortable. Rich people sometimes have such trash taste.

Wealthy people that come from old money like Trump look down upon the swiftly changing trends of the little people and value the appearance of kings and queens. Which generally seems to mean living in gold plated mausoleums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom