• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Banned
I'm guessing putting Keith Ellison at the DNC is more about making Bernie and Warren the real heads of the Democrat's field operation than actually giving Ellison power.

Which is ok, I guess.

Watch her:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...io-now-shes-ready-to-take-on-hate-nationally/

For Latino-rights activist Marisa Franco, election night was bittersweet.

For years, she had focused her advocacy work on Arizona, a state that in 2010 approved a law allowing police to ask anyone during a traffic stop for their immigration papers. The public face of that controversial measure, which was widely criticized for leading to the targeting of Latinos by police, was Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Arpaio had been the top cop in Arizona’s Maricopa County since 1993. He was devout about his crackdown on illegal immigration — federal prosecutors charged him with criminal contempt of court for defying a judge’s orders to stop racially profiling — and never gave up on his empty quest to prove that President Obama forged his birth certificate. Arpaio embraced the candidacy of Donald Trump, seeing the now-president-elect as a kind of kindred spirit. Trump, in turn, lavished praise on Arpaio, telling a crowd in late October, “He is a good man, he was one of the first endorsers of Donald Trump. Vote for Sheriff Joe!”

But come Nov. 8, Arpaio lost. And Trump won.

“I was floored. It was a scenario I didn’t see,” Franco said in a recent interview. “There were people celebrating, folks who had been targeted by [Arpaio], and others crying that [Clinton] lost. You couldn’t tell if someone was crying because they were happy or they were sad.”

“People would be like, ‘You have papers. Why do you care about this?’ It doesn’t make sense why I wouldn’t care,” Franco said. “You have my people’s names in your mouth. It’s not a question about papers. In Arizona, if I go to a protest, the first thing they tell me is go back to Mexico, I understand it as something personal.”

She helped found a national organization for Latino activists in 2015 called Mijente to work on behalf of not just Latino issues, but also ones that are “pro-black, pro-woman, pro-queer, pro-poor.”

During the election, one Trump campaign strategy seemed to be pitting one group against the other in an attempt to peel off voters, a tactic Washington Post political reporter Jose DelReal noted in late August.

But Franco said many groups face the same societal and economical challenges, and she’s always wondered why, particularly between Latinos and African Americans, there hasn’t been more collaboration. She also said while white progressives have talked about how to better dialogue with other white people, there should be a more unified strategy to reach out to white voters who either didn’t vote or voted for Trump.

The key, she said, is to build on the successes and lessons learned from every group that has ever fought back against discrimination, and to see this moment as protecting humanity, not just one group’s rights.

“No one is going to build it, no one is going to give it to us. Positioning folks like the people in Arizona who built resilience and strength, positioning people who have been survivors to teach others. People in the South, in Arizona have been doing that for years,” she said. “We’ve got to build bridges across communities.”

Some of the reaction to the NYT interview is, uh, interesting.

During the election people would correctly point out that Trump was full of shit because he would say whatever he wanted in order to win votes, even if it meant saying and/or promising things he could never deliver on. And his supporters would also get mocked because they bought into what were viewed as obvious lies or half-truths.

Now he says some wishy-washy things on climate change and says he disavows" the alt-right and you have people in OT jumping all over themselves to proclaim this as a pivot and a victory for people who hadn't supported him. It's like they don't recognize they're doing the same thing his supporters did - buying into a sales pitch because it's what they want to hear.

During the election people would correctly point out that Trump was full of shit because he would say whatever he wanted in order to win votes, even if it meant saying and/or promising things he could never deliver on. And his supporters would also get mocked because they bought into what were viewed as obvious lies or half-truths.

Now he says some wishy-washy things on climate change and says he disavows" the alt-right and you have people in OT jumping all over themselves to proclaim this as a pivot and a victory for people who hadn't supported him. It's like they don't recognize they're doing the same thing his supporters did - buying into a sales pitch because it's what they want to hear.
It's a coping mechanism

This has been a common thing with how people size up Trump. He has one day where he isn't dribbling up bile and suddenly his entire character displayed up until that point doesn't matter.

He is on both sides of every issue. He is a conman to the very core.

This is important.

@SarahEMcBride
1. Alright, I’ve now seen a few “hot takes” about how Hillary cared too much about "bathrooms" and not enough about workers.

@SarahEMcBride
2. For a moment, we’ll set aside the fact that trans ppl are workers and if they can’t access restrooms, it becomes difficult to hold a job.

@SarahEMcBride
3. The entire “bathroom controversy” was an invention by GOPers. 55 anti-trans bill were intro'd this year to gin up the conservative base.

@SarahEMcBride
4. Yes, Hillary talked more about trans rights this election than any previous candidate...

@SarahEMcBride
5. ...but that’s because every previous candidate dedicated approximately zero minutes to the issue while campaigning.

@SarahEMcBride
6. Indeed she did lift up several trans voices – mine included – but to give you some context, I spoke for 3 mins at the convention.

@SarahEMcBride
7. That means trans voices made up .2% of the entire Dem convention.

@SarahEMcBride
8. So let’s be clear, when these people say trans ppl were featured too much in this election, they mean at all.

@SarahEMcBride
9. But the absurdity of their hot take doesn’t end there. Take North Carolina!

@SarahEMcBride
10. The “hot take” rests on the impression that trans rights is bad politics. In NC, a state that went for Trump...

@SarahEMcBride
11. ...a Republican governor looks to have lost re-election, in large part, because of the “bathroom controversy.”

@SarahEMcBride
12. Enough with these crappy takes. They are nothing more than a handful of “liberals” projecting their own discomfort onto voters.

‏@SarahEMcBride
13. No data actually backs them up. People's lives are actually on the line. And it puts you on the wrong side of history.

The thing is I'm not sure if it winds up better or worse for us that Trump has convictions outside of enriching himself and his family.

Balphon

Listened to Ellison on keepin it 1600. Sorry but not impressed. Nothing he said points to competent DNC leadership.

I thought his comments about bottom-up organization and keeping voters engaged with the Party on a more continuous basis were pretty compelling.

Seemed odd that he didn't have a ready answer when asked why they shouldn't prefer a full-time chair though.

This is what I've been saying ever since the election. I'm so embarrassed that so many people who call themselves liberals fell for this without even looking at the numbers. Even my own brother did and he's generally good at sussing out bullshit.

I posted this on fb but

The thread from Sarah McBride sums up my thoughts pretty well and my fears that Trans people are about to be thrown under the bus as Democrats try to appeal to the people of Youngstown and Lansing (people who probably do not care about Hillary Clinton's support of Trans rights compared to their distrust of herself as a politician, her embrace with free trade, and the fact that she existed, rightly and wrongly, as an avatar for Washington Establishment that for so long as ignored these communities):

If Colin Jost or Mark Lilla truly believes that the Democratic Party is somehow giving trans rights not a proper "scale", then I don't want to be a part of that party. I don't want to go back to a Democratic Party that existed where we focused solely on Economic Populism (good!) and the expense of minority groups (bad!). This isn't about scale or "narrow" issues that are as real and tangible for people as their paychecks. The Democratic Party must be the party of those of us who fight to eliminate both economic AND social inequality. Shunning any aspect of this fight does a disservice to the others. A message forward must be a message that embraces the working class, not just the white working class.

PBY

Banned
I thought his comments about bottom-up organization and keeping voters engaged with the Party on a more continuous basis were pretty compelling.

Seemed odd that he didn't have a ready answer when asked why they shouldn't prefer a full-time chair though.

Honestly, felt very let down by that interview.

Geist-

Question for PoliGAF, what's going on with the Dem party? Sure, they lost, but where's the opposition? Where's the call to arms? I see a lot of grassroots protests, but the action from the Dems seems really weak to me.

I'm not as plugged in to politics as you guys though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Question for PoliGAF, what's going on with the Dem party? Sure, they lost, but where's the opposition? Where's the call to arms? I see a lot of grassroots protests, but the action from the Dems seems really weak to me.

I'm not as plugged in to politics as you guys though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Nothing has really happened yet. He's not president for another month and a half.

It's hard to organize on a "what if" type deal. Once he starts doing stuff, it'll be more organized.

kirblar

It seems like there's a shoe that hasn't dropped yet re: Obama.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Lack of leadership. The dems are a bit of a chicken with its head cut off right now.

studyguy

Considering the way he's conducted himself over the course of his presidency I wouldn't hold your breath that he'll have much impact.

He's already made it clear he's going to be campaigning for dems after Feb. I've gotten 3 emails about it personally already out here in CA. Dems in general are going to be in awful shape for 2018 though, like I said before. Too much infighting and no clear goal is going to chop us at the knees when we lose more seats while everyone is too busy trying to get a new POTUS

Considering the way he's conducted himself over the course of his presidency I wouldn't hold your breath that he'll have much impact.
He was the president. There's a certain decor and restraint that (usually) comes with that position.

I mean he's not going to be calling for armed insurgency anytime soon but I think he'll take a much more partisan approach once he's out of office. His original initiative after leaving was to focus on redistricting, so it's not like he was just planning on retiring and taking the next 2-4 years off from politics.

The media needs to giving so much significance to Trump's tweets and focus on what he's actually doing. I'm fucking tired of it. This is the kind of misdirection that was successful in the campaign.

studyguy

The media needs to giving so much significance to Trump's tweets and focus on what he's actually doing. I'm fucking tired of it. This is the kind of misdirection that was successful in the campaign.

There's nothing to be done about it. Unless Twitter removes Trump's account wholesale he's going to continue to feed the media beast and they'll follow it down to hell.

dramatis

One thing suggested is to support the organizations who will have to step in and work where the government will probably withdraw from or not support in the future.
Here's the list of organizations John Oliver suggested to donate or subscribe to on his show.

Women's Health - https://www.plannedparenthood.org/
Women's Reproductive Rights - https://www.reproductiverights.org/
Climate Change - https://www.nrdc.org/
Refugee Assistance - http://www.refugeerights.org/
Racial Justice - http://www.naacpldf.org/
LGBT Rights - http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
Latino Rights - http://www.maldef.org/

Another suggestion made was to support actual journalism to ensure the accountability of Trump's administration and help protect these publications from lawsuits in the future.

I think it would be great if we had something more comprehensive about what to do between now and inauguration, and after.

Nothing has really happened yet. He's not president for another month and a half.

It's hard to organize on a "what if" type deal. Once he starts doing stuff, it'll be more organized.

This. If you start protesting as an organization now, you look like Occupy (no direction at all since there's nothing to be mad at yet).

Let Trump sign something shitty. Then organize against it.

RDreamer

This is important.

This is absolutely true. What's nuts is that it isn't like Clinton got annihilated. She won the popular vote! Why are we throwing people under the bus as a result of that? Yes there needs to be some tweaks like campaigning in states like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania a bit more, but Clinton was largely dragged down by shit very much connected to her... i.e. the email scandal that came back a freaking week before we voted. Do people really think that talking about trans people was a bigger thing than that?!

Geist-

Lack of leadership. The dems are a bit of a chicken with its head cut off right now.
I hate that this is true, but the more I got into politics, the more apparent this was.

One thing suggested is to support the organizations who will have to step in and work where the government will probably withdraw from or not support in the future.
Another suggestion made was to support actual journalism to ensure the accountability of Trump's administration and help protect these publications from lawsuits in the future.
I think it would be great if we had something more comprehensive about what to do between now and inauguration, and after.
Ya, I saw that episode of LWT and if I wasn't on a poor college student's budget I would be donating left and right. I'm actually looking into what I can do to volunteer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is absolutely true. What's nuts is that it isn't like Clinton got annihilated. She won the popular vote! Why are we throwing people under the bus as a result of that? Yes there needs to be some tweaks like campaigning in states like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania a bit more, but Clinton was largely dragged down by shit very much connected to her... i.e. the email scandal that came back a freaking week before we voted. Do people really think that talking about trans people was a bigger thing than that?!

People either aren't thinking clearly or want to push the party in a specific direction with some of these complaints.

I've seen people say this was a wave election in terms of populism but the results say otherwise.

There's also people who want to abandon social issues whole cloth and just run with a populist economic platform.

The truth of the matter is there's not much the Dems need to do to become competitive in the general election, like you said it's a matter of fine tuning strategy and not much else. In the down ballot they need to find candidates who are closer fits to their districts and run those campaigns well. The down ballot strategy is what needs a big look, not the general.

This was the sort of loss that requires a recalibration, not a reinvention.

PBY

Banned
People either aren't thinking clearly or want to push the party in a specific direction with some of these complaints.

I've seen people say this was a wave election in terms of populism but the results say otherwise.

There's also people who want to abandon social issues whole cloth and just run with a populist economic platform.

The truth of the matter there's not much the Dems need to do to become competitive in the general election, like you said it's a matter of fine tuning strategy and not much else. In the down ballot they need to find candidates who are closer fits to their districts and run those campaigns well.

This was the sort of loss that requires a recalibration, not a reinvention.

I think the platform and delivery mechanisms on a national scale need recalibration.

I think the party needs a reinvention, with eyes towards governorships, 2018, grassroots, etc.

Ideologues are doing what they always do. Using any loss to justify further shifts towards their brand. If Trump had lost, his hardcore crowd would have said he was too soft on BLM, and Muslims, and abandoned the fight against gays.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ideologues are doing what they always do. Using any loss to justify further shifts towards their brand. If Trump had lost, his hardcore crowd would have said he was too soft on BLM, and Muslims, and abandoned the fight against gays.

There is not a single person on this earth who is not an ideologue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the platform and delivery mechanisms on a national scale need recalibration.

I think the party needs a reinvention, with eyes towards governorships, 2018, grassroots, etc.

I don't think the platform itself needs much, if any work, work. They just need a better candidate for the general is all, a better messenger. Well, a messenger who hasn't had a 26 year smear campaign run against them.

I tend to agree about the down ballot, they need to take a long hard look at why it's gone poorly and find a way to fix it. I think part of that is finding candidates who are a better fit for individual seats to run. What works in NY won't in Ohio and so on.

Gotchaye

There is not a single person on this earth who is not an ideologue.

I mean, there's a useful distinction here whatever you want to call it.

That said I'm not sure that I've seen anybody saying that Clinton's problem was too much talk about trans issues. I don't believe that this is a widespread opinion.

Grexeno

Clinton lost and the Sanders wing sees this as an opportunity to take over the party. That's it.

In other news, I'm really tickled that we're using the term "backbencher" more in American politics on these leadership fights.

This seems like textbook emolument clause violation then when foreign dignitaries stay there...

Not that anyone will do anything.

He could probably wipe his ass with the US Constitution and make Paul Ryan eat it.

He better hope his favorability never drops below 30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom