• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If Trump means what he says with an infrastructure bill, wouldn't Dept. of Transportation be a pretty big part of that?

I am ignorant on such things.

Not with Trump's plan.
His plan is to pay for 85% of private projects.

In other words, a huge corporate handout of unprecedented proportions.

chadskin

You know, this whole joke about Trump just thinks what the last guy he spoke to told him?

Cx5gbVMVEAExqQ3.jpg

mo60

i still think that one of the weirdest thing about this election is a write in candidate getting like 5% of the vote in a state. Has that ever happened before in a us presidential election.

i still think that one of the weirdest thing about this election is a write in candidate getting like 5% of the vote in a state. Has that ever happened before in a us presidential election.

Which state?

Too bad Bob Corker sunk him with those thinly veiled "black man coming for our wimmen" ads. No matter how Corker tries to portray himself as some kind of reasonable conservative, I'll always remember deep down, he's a sleaze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24rM3--lIv8

Oh man, that was one of the worst political ads in recent memory.

Sam Graves's ad from 2008 was also pretty terrible! San Fransisco values!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROhNSsi79E

Crocodile

I don't know what to make of the fact that so much of the country clearly doesn't give a shit that they elected a man who has in the past displayed numerous acts of corruption and has pretty much admitted he would do the same as president. It's like nothing about anything matters anymore :/

I don't know what to make of the fact that so much of the country clearly doesn't give a shit that they elected a man who has in the past displayed numerous acts of corruption and has pretty much admitted he would do the same as president. It's like nothing about anything matters anymore :/

I'm still in disbelief that there is a significant amount of people who saw Donald Trump and thought "that guy's gonna get all the corporate creeps out of Washington".

Revolver

I saw Kellyanne on the NewsHour talking about how it's "truly unfair" that Trump is being held responsible for the statements and actions of his supporters. Of course, she tried to pivot to asking why Hillary isn't being asked to repudiate supporters at her rallies that chanted things like "those pigs should fry" and why don't the protestors outside Trump Tower get more coverage. Judy Woodruff went too easy on her, should have brought up Bannon but she didn't. I doubt Gwen Ifill would have let her slide like that.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/#199331

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
People forget that in 2008 people were really fucking sick of Bush and the Neocons/Republicans, that counted for a lot in Obama's victory. He ran the whole "we need change" campaign like Trump and Sanders were running this time one way or another. There's a momentum to succeed with that kind of campaign, Hillary was poorly positioned to capitalize on it especially after eight years of Obama/Dems. She was the wrong candidate at the wrong time, but definitely would have won in 2008. If things had been inverted; Clinton in 08, Obama in 16, I think Obama could have won it on the "we want change" campaign even if we would have had eight years of Hillary. He would have been this election's Bernie.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So she DEFINITELY rigged the primary but then couldn't rig the general!

What the fuck, Hillary.

I totally missed that implication, bwhaha.

People forget that in 2008 people were really fucking sick of Bush and the Neocons/Republicans, that counted for a lot in Obama's victory. He ran the whole "we need change" campaign like Trump and Sanders were running this time one way or another. There's a momentum to succeed with that kind of campaign, Hillary was poorly positioned to capitalize on it especially after eight years of Obama/Dems. She was the wrong candidate at the wrong time, but definitely would have won in 2008. If things had been inverted; Clinton in 08, Obama in 16, I think Obama could have won it on the "we want change" campaign even if we would have had eight years of Hillary. He would have been this election's Bernie.

People do forget that, which is why when comparing election results, 2012 should be used, not 2008.
But even that is not fair due to incumbency advantage.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I'm willing to buy Bernie would have beaten Trump but I was thinking today if he'd beat Yeb! or Rubio. Kasich?

kess

I'm still in disbelief that there is a significant amount of people who saw Donald Trump and thought "that guy's gonna get all the corporate creeps out of Washington".

I knew something was up when random little old ladies (and husbands) who would come into work were murmuring how Trump was going to bring the banks and/or foreigners to task.

Tying high finance to global elites is literally the oldest card in the nationalist deck.

PoliGAF is always correct -_-

That was a wink wink nudge nudge towards them being extremely racist.

Also Rubio is a terrible politician with no charisma, a crappy record and nothing to offer anyone.

Was the pan handle going to vote for Rubio? Were WWC voters going to? What did Rubio offer them? If not, Rubio loses.

Ashodin

I think I'm willing to buy Bernie would have beaten Trump but I was thinking today if he'd beat Yeb! or Rubio. Kasich?

This was an election based on ideologies. Dreams. People would have seen Bernie as the one to do the job. Rubio would have been too mainstream.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This was an election based on ideologies. Dreams. People would have seen Bernie as the one to do the job. Rubio would have been too mainstream.

Except it wasn't. This was an election where one candidate won the popular vote and the other won the electoral college. We can't make any broad generalizations about this election given the results.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I wish there was an easy way to compare presidential election results from the county level between 2008, 2012, and 2016. The spreadsheets from data.gov are a mess.

kirblar

Except it wasn't. This was an election where one candidate won the popular vote and the other won the electoral college. We can't make any broad generalizations about this election given the results.
It's an election with razor thin margins that likely got swung by the FBI director two weeks before the election.

royalan

Did y'all talk about Ellison on Keepin' it 1600 yet? I wasn't impressed at all
no wonder Bernie likes him.

I mean, he completely lost me at coffee shop meetups. I do think that Democrats NEED to acknowledge that their base trends younger, and come up with some different ideas to keep the party visible at times other than election years. But I needed to hear some wonkiness. Ellison reminded me of being on the steering committee of a college student organization, and not in the good way.

DNC chair is not a popularity contest. Save that for actual politicians running for office. DNC chair needs somebody who knows how to organize, recruit, and strategize.

I wasn't getting the impression that Lovett wasn't too impressed, either.

faisal233

Did y'all talk about Ellison on Keepin' it 1600 yet? I wasn't impressed at all
no wonder Bernie likes him.

I mean, he completely lost me at coffee shop meetups. I do think that Democrats NEED to acknowledge that their base trends younger, and come up with some different ideas to keep the party visible at times other than election years. But I needed to hear some wonkiness. Ellison reminded me of being on the steering committee of a college student organization, and not in the good way.

DNC chair is not a popularity contest. Save that for actual politicians running for office. DNC chair needs somebody who knows how to organize, recruit, and strategize.

I wasn't getting the impression that Lovett wasn't too impressed, either.
Yea talked about it earlier. General consensus was about the same.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
“It’s not good enough for someone to say: ‘I’m a woman! Vote for me!’” Mr. Sanders told students in Boston on Sunday, a comment widely seen as a criticism of Mrs. Clinton. “No, that’s not good enough. What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industry.”
I must have missed this. Screw off, Bernie, with this strawman. He seems real fucking adamant about energizing his primary voters and continuing to ignore everyone else.

Perez could be good, but only if he's going to forego running for Maryland governor.

mo60

Dang Los Angeles just added 150k to Clinton's lead.

Like if this keeps up hilary may looking at a 30 point lead in CA once all of the votes are counted. Her lead is now over 3.7 million which is insane. I don't think anyone that has won a presidential election before has lost CA by nearly 30 points.

faisal233

Just give the job to Howard Dean again.

Keith worries me. He gives me the vibe that he would be too against blue dogs. Which we need.
There is a strong opposition against dean from the Sanders camp. I'll be okay with someone who is competent and willing to build up our decimated state organization.

“It’s not good enough for someone to say: ‘I’m a woman! Vote for me!’” Mr. Sanders told students in Boston on Sunday, a comment widely seen as a criticism of Mrs. Clinton. “No, that’s not good enough. What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industry.”

The fuck...

We're about to see some nasty fights play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom