• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
No. We should try to aggravate Trump at every opportunity. We cannot reason with him, Gore, Obama, Hillary, Mittens, the press, even DiCaprio. That didn't work. The opposite now is the only option. We need to force him to self destruct. If you can't beat something, maybe driving it to beat himself is the most viable strategy. The same extends to the GOP and the Tea Party.

We shouldn't be here thinking on how we can work with them. That's too fucking nice. We need to consider how we can enable them to self destruct in the short term in order to have a future at all.

I think this is key, and why i'm not particularly mad at Gore and Romney meeting with Trump. It's now substantial evidence that it was all for show, and a strong argument to reject false olive branches moving forward.

I'm not saying to work with the guy but to wait until January 20th to figure out a way to oppose whatever the republican party is planning.
What more do you need to assess the mankind level threat that Trump represents?

Please let me know if I'm falling prisoner to hyperbole btw.

Ecotic

Being bold is in vogue now. I like the playbook from the Thai coup of 2014. Massive, crippling, ongoing protests in Bangkok paved the way for a coup in the name of stability.

In 2020 there needs to be year-long protests in the central business districts of the major American cities. New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, D.C., and so on. The protests are an incredible drag on GDP and nation morale. Trump can't do anything about them because his authoritarian style "law and order" just inflames the protestors further. The nation blames Trump since he's in charge and Democrats win in 2020. A coup then occurs soon after inauguration that rewrites the Constitution to abolish the electoral college and rewrites the Senate to be something more equal regarding population. Quite modest proposals really but enough to both harness demographic changes, appear superficial enough to not upset red America too much, and to claim the President has placated the protestors and ended the crisis.

kirblar

Being bold is in vogue now. I like the playbook from the Thai coup of 2014. Massive, crippling, ongoing protests in Bangkok paved the way for a coup in the name of stability.

In 2020 there needs to be year-long protests in the central business districts of the major American cities. New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, D.C., and so on. The protests are an incredible drag on GDP and nation morale. Trump can't do anything about them because his authoritarian style "law and order" just inflames the protestors further. The nation blames Trump since he's in charge and Democrats win in 2020. A coup then occurs soon after inauguration that rewrites the Constitution to abolish the electoral college and rewrites the Senate to be something more equal regarding population. Quite modest proposals really but enough to both harness demographic changes, appear superficial enough to not upset red America too much, and to claim the President has placated the protestors and ended the crisis.
"Business" is not the enemy.

Strike

But he gets to move to New Zealand and carry zero accountability.

The best outcome, right?
square-1466758585-homer-simpson-fire-bridge.gif

Yeah. For him.

I listened to the most recent Keepin' it 1600. I like that Kander gets that signalling to voters that you're on their side matters a lot more than your policy proposals. But I would have liked to see him get pushed a little on how you could go about having a unified message that convinces everyone you're on their side while still speaking to issues that directly impact only particular minority groups. It feels like his vision for how you campaign as a Democrat is just not to talk about that stuff and keep it on the economy, but he needs to make that explicit if so.
This sounds like exactly what minorities and women have been leery of. So, I'm curious how many listened to this and instinctively thought this is exactly what needs to be done, this is perfect, without any sort of awareness that it effectively silences specific issues that affect minority groups.

Not really. I also don't see the impact nor importance of protesting in blue states, sounds like cutting/harming yourself more than your opponent.

We should probably mobilize in red states, that to me makes more strategic sense. For that we need to allow him to wreck something important to them.

mo60

Easier thing to do is that the instant trump gets sworn into office the democrats watch for any screw up from trump and the republicans. The democrats while doing this should create a podcast or something similar to a podcast where they talk to the American people every month or so where they talk about the state of America under the current republican administration and spread this podcast around on social media. The democrats could also use other social media tactics that are not awful to keep the American people engaged in politcal fights on the local or federal level. The democrats while doing all the things mentioned above can also build up their base in states where they are weakest in order to challenge republicans in these states and groon a notley, obama and etc candidate to challenge trump in a few years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This sounds like exactly what minorities and women have been leery of. So, I'm curious how many listened to this and instinctively thought this is exactly what needs to be done, this is perfect, without any sort of awareness that it effectively silences specific issues that affect minority groups.

It's something you can do on the state level, like when you're running for a House seat. In those situations you'll have a very basic constituency that will likely be fairly uniform. Scaling up, you run into the very issues pointed out. At the national level charisma trumps all, I think. You don't need to be Obama, but you need to have enough of it. Clinton had enough, it's just that she also had a bunch of shit dragging her down (emails, Russia, emails, emails, emails). I think the lesson to take from this election on the national level is to just run someone fairly early in their career without any baggage. For example, if you just slotted Gillibrand into Clinton's campaign she likely would have won since she's squeaky clean.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here is why I say all Trump's picks are selected and republicans do every single thing he wants:

Both the DNC and RNC were hacked.

Democrat stuff was given to Wikileaks for leaking.

Republican stuff was not. Why? Perhaps to use as blackmail against them over the next few years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Here is why I say all Trump's picks are selected and republicans do every single thing he wants:

Republican stuff was not. Why? Perhaps to use as blackmail against them over the next few years.

Well, there's also the rumor about that Trump sex tape Russia has (that everyone knew about but no one was able to confirm enough to publish).

So who knows? Could be.

The darkest timeline.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

"These protestors should go out and get a job instead of camping out for months asking for handouts"

Brb moving to Australia

Shit.

Russia is going to blackmail every single Republican for the next 4 years?

Wilsongt

Would the general public even believe any of this nonsense, though? They believed everything that came out about Clinton because they already hated her. If you look at the tone now, everyone is just shrugging off the Russia connection as Democrats being sore losers. Why would the general public believe anything that Russia could use against the GOP when all of the horrible bullshit the GOP is currently doing now and we have evidence of is thoroughly ignored?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Would the general public even believe any of this nonsense, though? They believed everything that came out about Clinton because they already hated her. If you look at the tone now, everyone is just shrugging off the Russia connection as Democrats being sore losers. Why would the general public believe anything that Russia could use against the GOP when all of the horrible bullshit the GOP is currently doing now and we have evidence of is thoroughly ignored?

They didn't believe this stuff during the campaign when it was all coming out in real time, what are the odds anyone believes it now?

All of Trump's picks will be selected because, for the most part, Republicans love his picks. Even the ones who were staunchly anti-Trump. The idea that he is filling his cabinet up with wackos is only common among the left.

Wilsongt

They didn't believe this stuff during the campaign when it was all coming out in real time, what are the odds anyone believes it now?

Pretty damn low, in my opinion. The media is playing up the fake news narrative now, ans supporters of the GOP will just think any of that stuff that might come out is just more fake news.

This country is fucked. It's what happens when you play into the lower educated's fears.

Kusagari

The fact Condi and Gates actually went and recommended Tillerson should show the Bush administration wasn't much better or worthy of remembrance.

I'm at an Airbnb and I'm listening to Fox News playing in the background. Holy crap, it's like a totally different universe they're living in.

And they're also really good at speaking. I can see someone who's low information being completely in love with these guys.

Damn, dems are up against a lot in the U.S.

chadskin

Every administration has at least one pick not confirmed. It just kind of happens.

McCain is already questioning Tillerson

Rand Paul accused Dick Cheney of going into Iraq in order to benefit his former company Halliburton, 'the world's largest oil field company'.

I could imagine he'd not be too happy about confirming the CEO of ExxonMobil as Secretary of State, either.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'm at an Airbnb and I'm listening to Fox News playing in the background. Holy crap, it's like a totally different universe they're living in.

And they're also really good at speaking. I can see someone who's low information being completely in love with these guys.

Damn, dems are up against a lot in the U.S.

They make it seem like poor people are living the high life

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Al5E3KbIfeo

faisal233

Why does speaking out matter more than results. As a minority, I would have been happier if Hillary focused on the economy and implemented actual policies that helped out minorities. As opposed to bringing awareness to minority issues and losing every branch of government.

Awareness doesn't matter, political power matters.

...holy shit, listening to this shit makes me want to throw something out the window. There's this deep sounding woman whose trying to insult Obama about him calling the investigation about Russia's interference.... Ughhhh

Ecotic

The crippling protests I was talking about wouldn't be against business anyway, they'd be directed at Trump but just take place in cities. You can't generally have an effective protest out in the middle of nowhere.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
...holy shit, listening to this shit makes me want to throw something out the window. There's this deep sounding woman whose trying to insult Obama about him calling the investigation about Russia's interference.... Ughhhh

Just pretend you're at dunken doughnuts!

With neither coffee or doughnuts!

Fox Mulder

Pretty damn low, in my opinion. The media is playing up the fake news narrative now, ans supporters of the GOP will just think any of that stuff that might come out is just more fake news.

This country is fucked. It's what happens when you play into the lower educated's fears.

Well US education certainly isn't getting better any time soon.

geomon

The crippling protests I was talking about wouldn't be against business anyway, they'd be directed at Trump but just take place in cities. You can't generally have an effective protest out in the middle of nowhere.

You can if you march on red State Capitals and shut them down. Rural people don't give a fuck what happens in the coastal cities or Chicago or Detroit but let's see what happens when you shut down Lincoln, Nebraska or Jefferson City, Missouri or better yet, Columbus, Ohio. Let's see them ignore that.

You can if you march on red State Capitals and shut them down. Rural people don't give a fuck what happens in the coastal cities or Chicago or Detroit but let's see what happens when you shut down Lincoln, Nebraska or Jefferson City, Missouri or better yet, Columbus, Ohio. Let's see them ignore that.
What's the largest city in America to be the capital of a red state? Actually, even in red states, the capitals are usually pockets of blue; I wonder, what state capital city is the most heavily Republican relative to the state in which it's located?

Why does speaking out matter more than results. As a minority, I would have been happier if Hillary focused on the economy and implemented actual policies that helped out minorities. As opposed to bringing awareness to minority issues and losing every branch of government.

Awareness doesn't matter, political power matters.
I'd post the why not both girl. But she's busy being deported. Or just run a marginally better campaign while still not having to pander to white fragility.

Sibylus

Banned
I can't fucking deal with a world where teen mags are more honest about the state of it than newspapers ostensibly serving mature audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom