• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Wow. Trump should be reaching out to the people who did not vote for him instead of bashing them or using them to brag about something.

no he doesnt, he won.

Despite the narrow victory, it is being touted as a mandate. There should be no expectation that he would pivot or come around if given time.

PEOTUS Manchild trying to pin fake news on media outlets that don't "fall in line"

This is going to a very stressful and depressing four years politically.

We'll see about that

"I have nothing to do with this thing other than having a major stake in it"

That makes no sense. If you have a major stake in something that isn't nothing

Wow. Trump should be reaching out to the people who did not vote for him instead of bashing them or using them to brag about something.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP makes laws specifically targeting cities and AA communities to try and hurt them out of spite and because they'll never vote for the GOP, and if they destabilize them, it might hurt their numbers and help the GOP.

I may be diablosing and a bit ridiculous but I have a feeling the universe is conspiring against us. Remember when we were laughing our butts off against Hillary is sickly dead rightwing memes? And then Hillary fucking collapses. How about when Trump was campaigning in Michigan. I've learned to just be tempered in my expectations. Not saying Comet Ping Pong is running a DC child sex ring. But what if a ring in DC somehow does gets busted and has circumstancial links to Comet? That is will embolden the deplorables 100 times more than anything else.

Also thinking long and hard about Tulsi v Trump, I think I will vote for Tulsi but against every fibre of my being. I will not say it to my family or friends but I just cant not vote while chastizing idiots today who did not vote.

Also thinking long and hard about Tulsi v Trump, I think I will vote for Tulsi but against every fibre of my being. I will not say it to my family or friends but I just cant not vote while chastizing idiots today who did not vote.
Agreed. I would fall in line for Tulsi in a general election.

But man I'd be kicking and screaming throughout the whole primary process.

I may be diablosing and a bit ridiculous but I have a feeling the universe is conspiring against us. Remember when we were laughing our butts off against Hillary is sickly dead rightwing memes? And then Hillary fucking collapses. How about when Trump was campaigning in Michigan. I've learned to just be tempered in my expectations. Not saying Comet Ping Pong is running a DC child sex ring. But what if a ring in DC somehow does gets busted and has circumstancial links to Comet? That is will embolden the deplorables 100 times more than anything else.

I mean Flynn will put pressure on Trump to launch some sort of investigation just to help his Son.

I am also sad that Obama didn't do what Trump is doing. He has now appeared 3 times with company CEOs that are just announcing investments they planned to do leading to headlines about jobs being created.

I swear to god, 2 million jobs created under Trump will get more coverage and play compared to what happened under Obama.

Totakeke

The irony of Democrats actually fighting for blocs that voted for Trump will never be lost to me.

Government shutdown averted as Democrats cave
Democrats now say they never planned to force a shutdown and only wanted to highlight insurance problems for retired coal miners.

They went right up to the brink, but Senate Democrats said on Friday night that they never intended to shut down the federal government over a dispute about coal miners’ benefits.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/government-shutdown-spending-bill-democrats-senate-232411

dramatis

The good news is, Tulsi probably wouldn't make it through the primary, so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Totakeke

Manchin and Brown are both up for re-election in what will be a very very tough fight for both. There is nothing wrong with them doing what they did.

Oh I'm not saying that at all. Just look at Obamacare.

A seemingly obscure fight in the Senate this week over miners’ pensions quietly marked the beginning of Senate Democrats’ attempt to recover from their humiliating defeat in the November election.

After getting pummeled in the Rust Belt by Donald Trump and incumbent Republicans, a bloc of lawmakers from purple and red states, led by Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Sherrod Brown of Ohio, made the case to Trump’s voters that it’s Democrats — not Trump and the GOP — who are on the side of the working class. Flirting with a government shutdown, they used a must-pass funding bill to try to extract health benefits for retired mine workers — resorting to the budget brinkmanship typically associated with Republicans.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/red-state-democrats-coal-fight-shutdown-232440

Well I wish them good luck and hope that there's no demagogue standing on the other side.

dramatis

Don't know if people would be interested in this because it's not explosive enough, but Quartz combed through Trump's May 2016 financial disclosure and organized it into a spreadsheet. Their accompanying article explains the data in a bit more detail.
The disclosure lists more than 550 companies in Trump’s empire but provides scant detail on them. Unless they own an obvious asset (an airplane, for example) or hold the rights to one of his books, it’s often impossible to determine specifically what they do. And even when the purpose of the business is reasonably clear, the income from it frequently isn’t.

The disclosure form only requires that Trump report some major sources of income, such as rent and royalties, as a range. Rent from a residential property, for example, might generate anywhere from $100,001 and $1 million in income. Royalties from a licensing deal might bring in just over $1 million, or as much as $5 million.

The value of Trump’s companies is similarly opaque. Anything worth more than $50 million is simply listed as “Over $50,000,000.” Of Trump’s 152 disclosed assets, 24 fall into this top bracket—mainly his golf clubs, hotels, and large buildings. Each of those could be worth $50.1 million or $500 million.
The most useful sections of Trump’s disclosure are probably those about his personal investments and his loans. That data has allowed reporters to, for example, make the connection between Trump’s position on the Dakota Access oil pipeline and a $15,000 to $50,000 stake he had in Energy Transfer Partners, the main company responsible for building it.

Trump now claims to have sold all of the stock he owned at the time of the disclosure, effectively nullifying any information from that part of the disclosure. But we don’t know if he subsequently purchased more stock, and he hasn’t shown evidence that he sold all his previous holdings. So, without another disclosure, future conflicts stemming from his private investments will be impossible to determine. In any case, as we’ve argued previously, his stock investments are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to his potential conflicts of interest. It’s through his own businesses that he could really enrich himself as president.

Way to bury the lead there,
It's so buried it's not even there!

What?

If Pres. Obama and his team over the years let individuals who torture, commit fraud, and influence elections walk away unscathed...then how is the administration anything but a joke? There are no consequences for the most serious crimes that shake fundamental pillars of the system.

Maledict

I mean Flynn will put pressure on Trump to launch some sort of investigation just to help his Son.

I am also sad that Obama didn't do what Trump is doing. He has now appeared 3 times with company CEOs that are just announcing investments they planned to do leading to headlines about jobs being created.

I swear to god, 2 million jobs created under Trump will get more coverage and play compared to what happened under Obama.

Obama did this - repeatedly. See the caterpillar deal in Pennsylvania. and the entire auto-industry bailout. Press reported on it then.

You mean the same ExxonMobile that paid scientist to lie about climate change to keep their profits going higher and higher?

Yes, but this is completely different. He's not going to get 50 votes, if true (Andrea EMAILZZZZZ) it's a dumb decision picking a fight over SoS.

Kid Heart

I just cannot see Graham and McCain going for this dude for something as important as SoS.

I don't see it either. They could at least sweep most of the other guys under the rug, but I doubt they want some Oil CEO going around the world representing us. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to strong arm Trump into nominating Romney as a compromise for letting everyone else slide.

Yeah Grahams crazy foreign policy might actually save us in the end. That being said Democrats will cave and I doubt they will be unified enough to mount a real defense barring a large number of GOP defections.

Edit: Bolton might be the compromise lol

Gotchaye

I listened to the most recent Keepin' it 1600. I like that Kander gets that signalling to voters that you're on their side matters a lot more than your policy proposals. But I would have liked to see him get pushed a little on how you could go about having a unified message that convinces everyone you're on their side while still speaking to issues that directly impact only particular minority groups. It feels like his vision for how you campaign as a Democrat is just not to talk about that stuff and keep it on the economy, but he needs to make that explicit if so.

Totakeke

8N736JI.png

Russian plan to save their economy is working.

Kusagari

Yeah Grahams crazy foreign policy might actually save us in the end. That being said Democrats will cave and I doubt they will be unified enough to mount a real defense barring a large number of GOP defections.

I have a feeling that's what's coming. The hearing gets ugly and Bolton is offered up and approved.

Graham has already said he would be fine with Bolton.

Bolton needs a Democratic vote on the Foreign Relations Committee to even get to the floor, since Rand Paul has already said he will not vote for him (or Giuliani).

GOP is a mess.

Having Exxon Mobil and Goldman Sachs run your Cabinet is basically a self-fulfilling affirmation of every parody that Democrats have cast on Republicans for years.

How many tow the party line? I bet half will bend over for Trump and the RNC
I can't imagine McCain and Paul voting to confirm, Flake and Graham could fold for something in return.

Collins, Sasse and Lee have a spine, but might confirm since they're not foreign policy folks.

Cotton doesn't like being BFF with Russia, so he should reject a Putin hack.

Newt Gingrich: Donald Trump Sticking With 'Celebrity Apprentice' Is 'Weird'

Stalwart Donald Trump supporter Newt Gingrich has denounced the president-elect’s decision to continue as executive producer of the reality show “The New Celebrity Apprentice” when he’s in office.

“I think it’s weird. It’s weird. I don’t think it’s relevant,” he told Fox News on Friday.

“He is going to be the executive producer of the American government and a huge TV show called ‘Leading the World.’”
He’ll run the show in his “spare time,” Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway said Friday, dismissing concerns that he won’t have much downtime as president.

“Were we so concerned about the hours and hours and hours spent on the golf course by the current president?” she said on CNN, in reference to President Barack Obama. “I mean, presidents have a right to do things in their spare time or their leisure time. I mean nobody objects to that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom