• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary is such a shitbag for how she talked over the BLM protester and refused to apologize for saying that we should bring them (black youth) to heel. Let's get back to the issues?!

It's about to cost her the primary. She dun goofed this time.

well tomorrow's primary is majority black so we'll be seeing how much this will cost her pretty soon

Tesseract

Banned
pretty amazing that Trump has won

Wonder how far center he'll move, or if he goes full left yolo new York style trick card on both parties

Trump is the singularity

Hillary is such a shitbag for how she talked over the BLM protester and refused to apologize for saying that we should bring them (black youth) to heel. Let's get back to the issues?!

It baffles me that Sanders supporters of all people think they can claim some kind of high ground on this. Sanders outreach and messaging to black voters has been tragic at best.

Been working all day and never bothered to check internet...

1368.gif

Cerium

Did I hallucinate a story about a white protester trying to interrupt a Hillary event today and the black audience telling him to get out? I can't find it but I know I saw it mentioned somewhere.

I like the people in here that are trying to pretend that a guy sued for anti-black discrimination and who put out an ad urging for the executions of five men of color is going to moderate.

He's a white nationalist guys. That's who he is 100%.

Anyway, Predictwise odds:

Trump: 75%
Rubio: 21%

Yep. I assume she's going to go ahead and suspend her campaign now. It's over.

It's funny, when Trump started gaining traction last year, I could see a Trump/Rubio ticket. Now with the shit that's happened between yesterday and today? Who in God's name is this man going to have as his VP if it comes to that? Ultimate troll would be for him to "bury the hatchet" with Rubio by trying to court him as VP, apologize etc. Get him to agree, then back out. Just to ruin him further. Pull some Whiplash shit.

pigeon

Banned
pretty amazing that Trump has won

Wonder how far center he'll move, or if he goes full left yolo new York style trick card on both parties

Trump is the singularity

Not sure why you think he'd do any of that. He's running as a racist, a policy platform with a long and celebrated history in American politics. He'll probably just keep doing it.

I'm legitimately flabbergasted...this is crazy. The fuck is Christie doing? Forget strategic considerations of whether Trump is easy to beat in the general. This is legitimizing Trump's candidacy in a way that no one else has, it's horrible. I guess Christie wants to be vice president or whatever but has he no decency?

I realize I'm late to the party on this just airing it out.

East Lake

I like the people in here that are trying to pretend that a guy sued for anti-black discrimination and who put out an ad urging for the executions of five men of color is going to moderate.

He'd probably be objectively better for black people simply from his willingness not to cut social programs. I know it's tempting to scream he's the next Hitler but if you take a step back he's not particularly worse than some of the maniacs on the stage with him.

Did I hallucinate a story about a white protester trying to interrupt a Hillary event today and the black audience telling him to get out? I can't find it but I know I saw it mentioned somewhere.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...onted-by-protesters-at-south-carolina-campus/

On the encounters with BLM and whether it will impact SC or other southern states; she has five emotionally powerful surrogates (in Maria Hamilton, Sybrina Fulton, Lucy McBath, Gwen Carr, and Geneva Reed-Veal) campaigning across the state with her, who genuinely believe that she does care about them, and about black lives.

I suppose they could just be hoodwinked by her skills as an amazing retail politician. I wonder what the Twitterverse would do to them if they had accounts.

I'm legitimately flabbergasted...this is crazy. The fuck is Christie doing? Forget strategic considerations of whether Trump is easy to beat in the general. This is legitimizing Trump's candidacy in a way that no one else has, it's horrible.

I'm shocked that a guy who called Rubio and Obama "children" over and over again prefers Trump to a guy with non-white skin in Rubio.

He'd probably be objectively better for black people simply from his willingness not to cut social programs. I know it's tempting to scream he's the next Hitler but if you take a step back he's not particularly worse than some of the maniacs on the stage with him.

Oh, he's no worse than Rubio or Cruz, but he's still a huge racist and a nationalist and that's a strong part of his being.

Makai

I'm legitimately flabbergasted...this is crazy. The fuck is Christie doing? Forget strategic considerations of whether Trump is easy to beat in the general. This is legitimizing Trump's candidacy in a way that no one else has, it's horrible. I guess Christie wants to be vice president or whatever but has he no decency?

I realize I'm late to the party on this just airing it out.
You join the team you know will win.

Watching CNN and laughing at how Cornell West is making the "Bernie's yes vote on the 1994 crime bill doesn't count" argument.

Also my head's spinning at how often he's using the word neoliberal.

Damn right.

And yet he'd still be worse than Hillary or Bernie -- people who want to increase spending on social programs objectively and vocally.

I fear Trump's impact on our political discourse/process more than any actual policy ramifications he might bring. The House and Senate will continue to do their thing (or not do it I guess), it's the beauty of our system. It inoculates us against temporary insanity in any one place.

hawk2025

Watching CNN and laughing at how Cornell West is making the "Bernie's yes vote on the 1994 crime bill doesn't count" argument.

Also my head's spinning at how often he's using the word neoliberal.

Damn right.

And yet he'd still be worse than Hillary or Bernie -- people who want to increase spending on social programs objectively and vocally.

It's so interesting to me that "neoliberal" as a loose, generic insult has come back full force in American politics.

The neoliberal boogeyman has been the fairly successful campaigning strawman of the catastrophic Latin American left for the past two decades or so.

I fear Trump's impact on our political discourse/process more than any actual policy ramifications he might bring. The House and Senate will continue to do their thing (or not do it I guess), it's the beauty of our system. It inoculates us against temporary insanity in any one place.

He's convinced a large number of disaffected people that their problems can be pinned on Muslims, Latinos and the establishment. Either politicians copy him and his style after he loses or things gradually unwind and are steered in a different direction.

It's not enough that a Romney or Jeb-type Republican wins, they need to have a stronger personality and convince voters that Trump's views and style are not only wrong, but the reason he lost.

Edit:

It's so interesting to me that "neoliberal" as a loose, generic insult has come back full force in American politics.

It has been the fairly successful campaigning approach of the catastrophic Latin American left of the past two decades or so.

It's been a number of years since I read West in college and I don't usually watch CNN, so I forgot it's a term he throws around.

It's been odd and annoying to see it used in GAF's political threads so often lately. I get the spirit they're invoking, it just doesn't really match the actual neoliberalism of Thatcher and Reagan.

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with Latin American left. They've governed fairly poorly?

I'm shocked that a guy who called Rubio and Obama "children" over and over again prefers Trump to a guy with non-white skin in Rubio.

I think painting Christie's decision as being grounded in racism is a bit much. He's a condescending asshole but he stood against Trump's brand of political theater until he suddenly didn't. Cruz and Kasich are still in the race too so he's snubbing them as well.

You join the team you know will win.

Temporarily maybe. But Trump is a long-shot bet with almost all downsides. Unless he legitimately believes Trump will win the general election he's joining a sinking ship. It's like squeaking out a playoff win and then getting blown out in the championship. You gain extremely short lived notoriety and then are blackballed for life once things return to normal.

kirblar

The neoliberal boogeyman has been the fairly successful campaigning strawman of the catastrophic Latin American left for the past two decades or so.
It's a word that says more about the person using it than anything else. (it's not positive.)

I'm not sure Christie has a future in national politics anyway. He has the stink of scandal from the Bridge thing. He's not well liked within the party. I don't think he's super popular in New Jersey. This gives him some relevance, and he does seem to actually be a friend of Trump. I'm sure Trump could parlay the support into some nice paid gig for him, should he want that. What else does he have to lose?

I mean, I'd say self respect, but this is Chris Christie we're talking about here.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...onted-by-protesters-at-south-carolina-campus/

On the encounters with BLM and whether it will impact SC or other southern states; she has five emotionally powerful surrogates (in Maria Hamilton, Sybrina Fulton, Lucy McBath, Gwen Carr, and Geneva Reed-Veal) campaigning across the state with her, who genuinely believe that she does care about them, and about black lives.

I suppose they could just be hoodwinked by her skills as an amazing retail politician. I wonder what the Twitterverse would do to them if they had accounts.

I honestly think she does to a degree. But I suspect it won't be much of a priority,
This coming from a Hillary supporter.

But with the Drug use discussion changing, it's possible that some positive changes may take place sooner than later, especially with a Dem in the White House.

sangreal

The Atlantic had a good story about that: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...e-sanders-south-carolina-black-voters/470646/

e: I suspect you read it, but I felt like posting anyway

kirblar

I'm not sure Christie has a future in national politics anyway. He has the stink of scandal from the Bridge thing. He's not well liked within the party. I don't think he's super popular in New Jersey. This gives him some relevance, and he does seem to actually be a friend of Trump. I'm sure Trump could parlay the support into some nice paid gig for him, should he want that. What else does he have to lose?

I mean, I'd say self respect, but this is Chris Christie we're talking about here.
He's too liberal for the crazies and not crazy enough to pull a Trump.

Obama's comments about Hillary being better in "small groups" seem to be right on the money- she's much better in town halls and smaller discussions than at large rallies.

Forget national politics, this means forfeiting your future in everything. This is the kind of decision that follows you all the way to the grave. It says a lot about who Christie really is if this is the kind of deal he's willing to make.

I honestly think she does to a degree. But I suspect it won't be much of a priority,
This coming from a Hillary supporter.

But with the Drug use discussion changing, it's possible that some positive changes may take place sooner than later, especially with a Dem in the White House.

I disagree about it not being a priority for her, especially because of how the issue overlaps children and families so heavily. Say what you want about Hillary, but she has always, always been an advocate for children. I think her biggest thing is that she suffers from what a lot of us do: white privilege. At the town hall, her answer was so on point. She admitted that we have to admit that, as a white person, she and I do not understand race in the way that a person of color does. I think that's why her listening tour was so important at the early part of this campaign.

I think, with Hillary, if you want to get her engaged in something, you have to give her something specific that she can do. Lofty words dont move her. Actions do. So, she needs to have an understanding of what she can personally do to make a difference. That's just my sense of her, though. Feel free to completely disagree.

East Lake

Temporarily maybe. But Trump is a long-shot bet with almost all downsides. Unless he legitimately believes Trump will win the general election he's joining a sinking ship. It's like squeaking out a playoff win and then getting blown out in the championship. You gain extremely short lived notoriety and then are blackballed for life once things return to normal.
Maybe he's an accelerationist lol.

Tbh I haven't really thought about how this would play out. I almost think we're at the point where GOP has destroyed itself. Like at the edge of the cliff right now. If Trump were to win the nomination there's no telling what happens to the old establishment. He has also stirred up the contest so much that even if he somehow lost the party could blow up anyway.

User 406

Banned
I think painting Christie's decision as being grounded in racism is a bit much. He's a condescending asshole but he stood against Trump's brand of political theater until he suddenly didn't. Cruz and Kasich are still in the race too so he's snubbing them as well.

Well, Christie has harped on the whole "war on cops" thing pretty heavily for quite a while which is a pretty loud dogwhistle nowadays, something he shares with Trump.

But I'd imagine a big part of his decision is a really big "fuck you" to the GOP. He's basically been crucified by the party at large for hugging Obama, and he doesn't seem to have much of a future from all his other fuckups in NJ, so why not just shit in everyone's cereal?

He's too liberal for the crazies and not crazy enough to pull a Trump.

Obama's comments about Hillary being better in "small groups" seem to be right on the money- she's much better in town halls and smaller discussions than at large rallies.

I agree with President Obama on that. Hillary is better in small groups. She's so damn smart. I mean...insanely smart. When she can engage one on one I think it makes her more human. She's a wonk at heart, and soaring rhetoric is not her thing. She's a realist, and I think her campaign this time around is better at understanding that and leveraging that. Her listening tour at the beginning of the campaign, for instance. They're not trying to force her to be an Obama this time. That's not her.

Also, real talk:

I think Christie hates the hell out of Rubio. I think it's personal, for some reason. So, if this hurts Rubio...why the hell not.

Forget national politics, this means forfeiting your future in everything. This is the kind of decision that follows you all the way to the grave. It says a lot about who Christie really is if this is the kind of deal he's willing to make.

He's out of office in January 2018 and he's failed to resonate in his presidential campaign. Either he does whatever he can to be Trump's VP/cabinet member/solicitor general/SCJ/reality TV star or he fades into obscurity.

Well, Christie has harped on the whole "war on cops" thing pretty heavily for quite a while which is a pretty loud dogwhistle nowadays, something he shares with Trump.

But I'd imagine a big part of his decision is a really big "fuck you" to the GOP. He's basically been crucified by the party at large for hugging Obama, and he doesn't seem to have much of a future from all his other fuckups in NJ, so why not just shit in everyone's cereal?

Maybe he's an accelerationist lol.

Tbh I haven't really thought about how this would play out. I almost think we're at the point where GOP has destroyed itself. Like at the edge of the cliff right now. If Trump were to win the nomination there's no telling what happens to the old establishment. He has also stirred up the contest so much that even if he somehow lost the party could blow up anyway.

I forgot about the blue lives matter stuff. Still, going from that to Trump still feels like a jump to me but the fact he did probably means more. I guess I just can't fathom the grimdark future where Trump copycats are the new Republican party as opposed to some ostracized third party.

He's out of office in January 2018 and he's failed to resonate in his presidential campaign. Either he does whatever he can to be Trump's VP/cabinet member/solicitor general/SCJ/reality TV star or he fades into obscurity.

Obscurity would seem better than infamy but I've got old fashioned values I guess.

Most of the Republican Party is going to join him in backing Trump soon enough, he's not forfeiting nearly as much as you're thinking.

I know this probably won't reach your ears but...

Early to mid 90's was a crazy time. The superpredator stuff was coined by a Princeton scholar who later regretted that term. It was a psychological term coined to describe the gangbangers who shot up kids or sucked them into the drug war. Bernie is also on record saying these criminals are sociopaths. We were in the middle of gang wars. East Coast and West Coast. Crips and Blood in LA, crack epidemic in NYC. South Central LA was synonymous with warzone. I'm not sure if you remember all of that. The gang warfare flooded the airwaves every evening, and Bill Clinton was rocked by this violence across America. Like innocent kids dying every day and being sucked into this violence. Basically being "tough on crime" was something everyone wanted to be including Bernie Sanders. This is the epidemic that lead to the "war on drugs" phase of our history.
Tupac said:
I see no changes. Wake up in the morning and I ask myself,
"Is life worth living? Should I blast myself?"
I'm tired of bein' poor and even worse I'm black.
My stomach hurts, so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch.
Cops give a damn about a negro? Pull the trigger, kill a nigga, he's a hero.
Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares? One less hungry mouth on the welfare.
First ship 'em dope and let 'em deal to brothers.
Give 'em guns, step back, and watch 'em kill each other.
"It's time to fight back", that's what Huey said.
2 shots in the dark now Huey's dead.
And still I see no changes. Can't a brother get a little peace?
There's war on the streets and the war in the Middle East.
Instead of war on poverty,
they got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.
And I ain't never did a crime I ain't have to do.
But now I'm back with the facts givin' 'em back to you.
However, it's time to rollback some of the harsher provisions of the 1994 crime bill now that we longer have skyrocketing crime.

Most of the Republican Party is going to join him in backing Trump soon enough, he's not forfeiting nearly as much as you're thinking.

Someone posted that Politico article saying that the establishment was looking into fronting a third party opposition. Rumor it may be, I don't think it's going to be a united front.

Teggy

#1 trending topic on twitter is #nevertrump. At least makes me feel like some of the country is queued into what could happen if they slack off.

You are aware she apologized the very next day? You know, once she was allowed to give an answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom