• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So by this logic, racist, homophobic, pro-rape should also have proper government representation.
I mean, they already do. And while none of those should hold sway in a just world, they are a constituency that is represented.

Twitter is just the YouTube comments section with no videos.
There are videos sometimes! Just none of this onerous "you can ONLY comment when it's on a video" business.

I mean, they already do. And while none of those should hold sway in a just world, they are a constituency that is represented.

There are videos sometimes! Just none of this onerous "you can ONLY comment when it's on a video" business.

Right but people want to see the GOP destroyed, by the logic shared here, their presence, and their oppressive effects on others should be celebrated because it's "democracy at work".

Fuck that.

Many ideas do not deserve represenation just because a lot of people believe in it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Right but people want to see the GOP destroyed, by the logic shared here, their presence, and their oppressive effects on others should be celebrated because it's "democracy at work".

Fuck that.

Many ideas do not deserve represenation just because a lot of people believe in it.
I don't disagree (in fact I totally agree).

I was making the point that what you presented as a rhetorical / hypothetical device was in fact real and widespread. today. in 2016.

I don't disagree (in fact I totally agree).

I was making the point that what you presented as a rhetorical / hypothetical device was in fact real and widespread. today. in 2016.

I'm well aware of that.

Notice I said should not do.

Should in this case was directly speaking of the ethics of the existence not the existence being a reality.

ClLcFaFWgAAwWiw.jpg:large
lolololol

So, it looks like some shit went down at the Nebraska caucus yesterday. I'm trying to piece together what I can find on Twitter from the hashtag.

Looks like 20 or so (white) Bernie Bros (by various descriptions, not me throwing shade) managed to oust the chair of the Latino Caucus and instill someone else. None of them were due paying members of that caucus. Looks like they tried to do the same with the AA Caucus, the Catholic Caucus and possibly the women's caucus. The AA caucus told them to piss off, basically. They did get to plant their person in charge of the Latino caucus. As soon as they did they, they marched on. And they were wearing arm bands. This isn't freaky.

Looks like a group of Hillary and Bernie supporters got together to deny their ring leader the chance to be a delegate.

Also, another woman posted that Bernie's campaign disqualified so many people they only got to select 6 delegates, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Like I said, this is all pieced together from reports on Twitter.

And the non-binding resolution to not send superdelegates is for 2020.

pigeon

Banned
So we just have authoritarian rule because we know better than the electorate?

I mean, that article says the number of people who don't want vaccines are, to cast as wide a net as possible, 30%. That's not a majority!

There were a whole lot of people who supported slavery and later segregation. In fact there were pretty clearly majorities in some states. But we decided to overrule those majorities. Do you think that was a bad choice? Ultimately republican democracy was explicitly designed to draw a balance between the tyranny of the elite and the tyranny of the mob.

dramatis

So, it looks like some shit went down at the Nebraska caucus yesterday. I'm trying to piece together what I can find on Twitter from the hashtag.

Looks like 20 or so (white) Bernie Bros (by various descriptions, not me throwing shade) managed to oust the chair of the Latino Caucus and instill someone else. None of them were due paying members of that caucus. Looks like they tried to do the same with the AA Caucus, the Catholic Caucus and possibly the women's caucus. The AA caucus told them to piss off, basically. They did get to plant their person in charge of the Latino caucus. As soon as they did they, they marched on. And they were wearing arm bands. This isn't freaky.

Looks like a group of Hillary and Bernie supporters got together to deny their ring leader the chance to be a delegate.

Also, another woman posted that Bernie's campaign disqualified so many people they only got to select 6 delegates, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Like I said, this is all pieced together from reports on Twitter.

From Twitter it seems like people universally agreed that it was a shit show.

Fuchsdh

I took this pic of barry goldwater for benji

i mean its not actually barry goldwater

but you know

They seriously made a bigger Goldwater statue than flipping Webster? Jesus.

No, no they don't.

The problem with the Green Party is far more than their anti-vacc position. They have a whole host of anti-science positions that don't even deserve to be spoken about as if they were serious. They don't care about actual evidence and that's evident with a lot of their stated positions. The Libertarian Party is even worse.

Neither one deserves to be taken seriously because they can't be bothered to take their own positions seriously.

The fact is, if we had a third party system then the Dems and GOP would split into four different parties. Our coalitions are formed during the primary process not after the election.

If third parties were viable I don't think those anti-science positions would be as prominent, but it's basically a chicken-or-the-egg situation here. Are third parties in the US are fringe because they don't have a solid chance of winning any federal elections, or are they fringe because they have crazy beliefs and thus don't win federal elections?

Even in my affluent and incredibly-educated hometown, full of green initiatives and LEED-certified schools with geothermal power, the Green Party has and always will be a joke. They run the same candidates repeatedly. We've actually gone back and elected a Republican to County Board (in this case, a very good thing to keep the assholes in check) and there's still no Green Party candidate who's gotten more than I believe 20% against the most unpopular incumbents.

They seriously made a bigger Goldwater statue than flipping Webster? Jesus.

So not related to anything....but when I was in 5th grade, I went to a Christian school. We had to read this asinine book about Noah Webster. My god, it was awful. And I got in trouble for not having a "heart of gratitude" that I was privileged enough to read this stupid ass book.

Teggy

New GQ article out this morning about the strange journey of Hope Hicks

http://www.gq.com/story/hope-hicks-mystifying-triumph-donald-trump

A 42-year-old operative who'd worked for the Tea Party group Americans for Prosperity, Lewandowski was now the campaign manager. Hicks was told she couldn't work for both the political and corporate branches of the Trump team. She had to choose: Join the campaign or go back to the kids' floor of Trump Tower. Hicks, who hates to disappoint, nonetheless told Lewandowski he'd have to find a new press secretary, which apparently set him off. “He made her cry a bunch of times,” Nunberg said. In Nunberg's telling, Lewandowski said to Hicks, “You made a big fucking mistake; you're fucking dead to me.” Lewandowski declined to either confirm or correct Nunberg's recollection. “I don't recall the specifics of that,” he told me. “I can say definitively that I don't recall the specific incident that you're referring to.”

NeoXChaos

Republicans hold their largest House majority — 247 seats to 188 for Democrats — since the 1928 election, in part because they have some tremendous built-in geographical advantages, both natural and engineered, that their counterparts in the Senate don’t share.

First, Democratic voters have never been more concentrated in big urban areas than they are now. In 2012, President Obama won by 126 electoral votes while carrying just 22 percent of America’s counties — even fewer than losing Democratic nominee Michael Dukakis’s 26 percent in 1988. That means Democrats are wasting more votes than ever in safe congressional districts they already hold. For example, an additional straight Democratic ballot cast in Chicago or Madison might help defeat GOP Sens. Mark Kirk in Illinois or Ron Johnson in Wisconsin, but it’ll do zip to put a dent in Speaker Paul Ryan’s House majority, because Democrats already hold all the House seats anchored by those cities.

Second, Republicans’ astounding state legislative gains in the 2010 midterms — the year before the decennial redistricting cycle — allowed them to redraw four times as many congressional districts as Democrats in 2011 and 2012, stretching their geographical edge even further. As a result, in 2012, Democrats won 51 percent of all major-party votes cast for House candidates but just 47 percent of all seats. In 2014, Democrats won 47 percent of all major-party votes but just 43 percent of the seats. Amazingly, just 16 of 247 House Republicans won their races by fewer than 10 percentage points.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-gops-house-majority-is-safe-right/?ex_cid=538fb

Price tag of Clinton's battleground ad blitz is now at $20.9 million

Staying with the battleground-state ad spending, here are the updated market-by-market figures of Clinton's buy (June thru July), which now stands at $20.9 million:

Ohio $5.2 million

Cleveland-Akron, OH $1.6 million
Columbus, OH $1.0 million
Cincinnati, OH $1.0 million
Toledo, OH $645k
Dayton, OH $518k
Youngstown, OH $349k
Parkersburg, WV $52k
Wheeling, WV- Steubenville, OH $50k
Florida $5.1 million

Tampa-St Petersburg-Sarasota, FL $1.6 million
Jacksonville, FL $977k
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, FL $890k
Ft. Myers-Naples, FL $882k
Mobile, AL-Pensacola, FL $498k
Panama City, FL $210k
Tallahassee, FL-Thomasville, GA $19k
North Carolina $3.7 million

Charlotte, NC $1.5 million
Raleigh-Durham, NC $895k
Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem, NC $491k
Greenville-New Bern-Washington, NC $324k
Wilmington, NC $245k
Greenville-Spartanburg, SC-Asheville, NC $182k
Nevada $2.0 million

Las Vegas, NV $1.4 million
Reno, NV $547k
Virginia $1.8 million

Norfolk, VA $648k
Richmond-Petersburg, VA $591k
Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA $349k
Tri-Cities, TN-VA $86k
Harrisonburg, VA $74k
Charlottesville, VA $70k
Iowa $1.2 million

Des Moines-Ames, IA $568k
Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque, IA $427k
Omaha, NE $155k
Ottumwa, IA-Kirksville, MO $37k
Colorado $1.1 million

Denver, CO $854k
Colorado Springs-Pueblo, CO $281k
New Hampshire $830k

Boston, MA $830k

Grand Total $20.9 million

Queen Yasss.

ampere

Even if a fraction of that is true, ugh caucuses are the worst.

Who should I write to/call if I want to tell the DNC to get rid of caucuses? DWS?

That's... actually shocking. If he didn't get fired after his assault charges I figured nothing would do it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah but boring Trump is not even a good politician. I'm surprised Manafort was able to convince him that the way he got to the dance is not the way he should keep dancing.

Or maybe Trump is actually shared shitless because of the polls.

teiresias

Yeah but boring Trump is not even a good politician. I'm surprised Manafort was able to convince him that the way he got to the dance is not the way he should keep dancing.

Or maybe Trump is actually shared shitless because of the polls.

Frankly I don't think it matters who's running the campaign. It won't keep Trump from running off at the mouth.

ampere

If Trump keeps tweeting dumb shit then Manafort hasn't actually convinced him to listen. If he actually gets the fuck off twitter and leaves that to campaign staff, then I'll give Manafort some credit

Iolo

Trump is going to tire of Manafort as soon as he realizes the latter is not just telling him what he wants to hear, which I think was the main point of Corey.

Teggy

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 4h4 hours ago
When I said that if, within the Orlando club, you had some people with guns, I was obviously talking about additional guards or employees

Yes, "obviously".

Bowing down to his NRA overlords.

Clarence Thomas' Wife Shoots Down 'Bogus' Report He's Retiring

Virginia Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, took to Facebook to call a Washington Examiner report that said her husband was planning to retire after the election "bogus" and "disgusting."

"IT. IS. BOGUS!" Thomas said on her Facebook page of the report by Washington Examiner gossip columnist Paul Bedard.

"Paul Bedard needs to find a phone in his life and unnamed sources are worth as much as their transparency is," she said.
"Distracting Click-Bait by desperate people who want clicks," she said.

Oh well.

Effect

I doubt things will change. Wasn't Manafort already running the show for the most part and Lewandowski just providing support. If that's the case this seems like a sacrificial move but it's not going to make the republican party unite around Trump or get donors to open their bank accounts. Just because you change the messenger doesn't mean things will change. Trump will still be Trump and many republicans don't want to have anything to do with him.

It reminds me of how republicans in the past decide that if they can just explain their racist and bigoted stances and plans then people would get on board. No they're still racist and bigoted. It doesn't matter how you explain it or what words you use. The end result is still the same. Trump is still a dumpster fire, still a racist, a bigot, a hatemonger, etc. Having a new manager isn't going to change that.

Effect

<snicker>

Aren't you supposed to do these things on a Friday afternoon? Trump loses yet another news cycle.

Yup. This is something you decide on a Friday so it's forgotten come Monday. This will be the story for a good part of the week now.

Emarv

Calling it now. He'll still be losing in the polls come August/September, at which point he'll fire Manafort and bring back Corey. He'll use it as a course correcting narrative and a way to "recapture that old Trump Magic".

Corey and Trump are two peas in an authoritarian pod. They can't be away from each other for too long. I don't believe it.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm paranoid about them trying to screw him in Cleveland. It's largely unjustified paranoia, I know, but still.. making him officially the nominee is going to be a seminal moment for defining the GOP going forward.

Hang in there, Trumpy.. you can do magic things!

Bowdz

Lmfao, and here I thought Trump's comments on racial profiling would dominate the week. I can't believe this is happening in arguably the most crucial period of time for the campaign.

I'm paranoid about them trying to screw him in Cleveland. It's largely unjustified paranoia, I know, but still.. making him officially the nominee is going to be a seminal moment for defining the GOP going forward.

Hang in there, Trumpy.. you can do magic things!

Well, sleep easy because this move was largely made to placate the donor class/establishment and prevent them from dumping Trump.

Teggy

By the way, Trump's attempt to clean up his gun comments were so transparent and he is being called on it. He never realizes that everything he says is recorded.

"If some of those wonderful people had guns strapped right here -- right to their waist or right to their ankle -- and one of the people in that room happened to have it and goes 'boom, boom,' you know, that would have been a beautiful sight folks," Trump said on Friday night.

Speaking on the Howie Carr Show Monday, Trump explained that "it&#8217;s too bad some of the people killed over the weekend didn&#8217;t have guns attached to their hips where bullets could have thrown in the opposite direction. Had people been able to fire back it would have been a much different outcome."

And of course, there was a guard with a gun there.

In Texas, it's illegal to carry while intoxicated. Of course, they haven't specified what the alcohol limit is and it's technically not illegal to carry while drinking. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom