• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

What's PoliGAF's take on Hillary's tuition plan? I have a 3yo and basically gave up the idea of being able to pay, substantially, for her college, if she goes.

It's pretty solid and would likely benefit you if it's able to pass. I'm not sure that we'll realistically see a college plan that good actually implemented in the next 8 years, but we can hope.

At the very least I hope we can get some student loan reform

Kemal86

The plan looks solid, but I wish there was a higher level of relief for those who are already saddled with loans.

I'm 30 and about to finish grad school (my choice, I know), and it's highly unlikely that I'll pay my loans off before I'm dead of old age. I want to pay what I owe! I don't want a get out of jail free card. I'd just like to know that, someday, I could afford a mortgage AND my loan payments.

Cat

It's pretty solid and would likely benefit you if it's able to pass. I'm not sure that we'll realistically see a college plan that good actually implemented in the next 8 years, but we can hope.

At the very least I hope we can get some student loan reform

Thanks for the response. I'm voting for Clinton regardless, but I saw a blurb on Twitter and was like "wait, that would actually help my daughter if true." I guess we'll see. I'll support my child best I can, whatever happens.

Cat

The plan looks solid, but I wish there was a higher level of relief for those who are already saddled with loans.

I'm 30 and about to finish grad school (my choice, I know), and it's highly unlikely that I'll pay my loans off before I'm dead of old age. I want to pay what I owe! I don't want a get out of jail free card. I'd just like to know that, someday, I could afford a mortgage AND my loan payments.

I understand. I lucked out, and my dad covered everything but my last semester because my younger brother would also be going to college. I finished paying off my loan last summer, so I'm good on that part. Looking ahead for my little one, it looked...well, not bleak, just...I won't be able to help her on the same level as my dad for me.

#NeverTrumpers are going to try a coup:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/anti-donald-trump-forces-see-convention-coup-as-within-reach-1467839099

People will die in Cleveland just so that these people can try to nominate Ted Cruz for president.

Months after Donald Trump appeared to seal the Republican nomination for president, anti-Trump forces still have one last chance to force a vote on the party’s convention floor that would throw open the GOP contest again.

It’s a long shot, but by some counts they are remarkably close to getting past the first hurdle next week in Cleveland.

Mr. Trump’s intraparty foes, led by a group of rogue delegates, are waging an intense behind-the-scenes effort to push the Republican National Convention’s Rules Committee for a vote on freeing delegates to back whom they wish, rather than being bound to Mr. Trump.

The presumptive nominee’s team is fighting back just as vehemently, with an organized campaign of dozens of aides and volunteers. It’s a power struggle that has prompted threats of reprisals and left many Republicans anxious that it could hurt the party’s prospects in November.

The anti-Trump camp needs the backing of 28, or one-quarter, of the 112 Convention Rules Committee members, in order to place the issue before the full convention. A Wall Street Journal survey suggests it could be close.

In interviews, 20 members said they are willing to consider allowing delegates to be unbound, while 59 support Mr. Trump. The other 33 panelists couldn’t be reached or did not respond to repeated messages.

Others counting votes have their own tallies. Internal surveys of the Rules Committee conducted by RNC member Randy Evans of Georgia, who is whipping votes trying to help Mr. Trump fend off the insurrection, found at least 18 committee members open to voting to unbind. The Trump campaign’s count shows about 15 leaning toward the so-called conscience clause, according to people familiar with the campaign.

Kendal Unruh, a Colorado schoolteacher on the committee leading part of the anti-Trump movement, said she has private commitments from more than 30 committee members, but that many aren’t willing to admit so publicly.

Though a majority of the convention delegates are bound to support Mr. Trump, Mr. Evans’s count shows just about 890 delegates are personally loyal to the New Yorker. Another 680 oppose Mr. Trump. That leaves 900 delegates who are presumed to be “in play,” he said. The stop-Trump forces would have to take nearly two-thirds of them to block his nomination.

Good luck.

Holmes

So they would do a rally together or something? That pleases me. I want Sanders to have an active role in the campaign against Trump... so long as he doesn't undermine Clinton, but I think that's just me being (unnecessarily?) cautious. I remember reading that Clinton's endorsement speech of Obama in '08 originally didn't really talk him up much, and the Obama camp was still worried about her starting something at the DNC, but it all worked out.

Emarv

giphy.gif

Boke1879

If that's the case Bernie really just needs to say he endorses Clinton and pretty much just talk about his platform a bit and then hammer home about how Trump can't be President.

HylianTom

Banned
The thing about a Bernie endorsement that stands out to me the most isn't its weight in the Presidential race; she's going to get to 270, with or without his backing. It's the downticket effect that has my attention.

We may be facing a situation where we're painfully close to retaking the House by the narrowest of margins. If his influence somehow bumps the Democratic tide by a tiny percentage (let's say that Bernie's stamp of approval on the party standard-bearer nudges millenials a few points in our favor), that might seem insignificant, but it also might be the difference between who holds that speakership gavel for the first two years of Hillary's term. That'd be a world of difference.

Or, the House could go out of reach. Still plenty of time for that, too. But I'd much rather have his endorsement than have him pout his way back to Burlington.

-======-

AP:
BREAKING: Attorney General Loretta Lynch: Clinton email investigation to be closed with no criminal charges

Bowdz

Looking hard at Mitch McConnell wanting the FBI to release the Clinton interview. Brb, we want all things related to terror investigations and the NSA wiretapping program to stay hidden so we can keep claiming they are "preventing terror attacks" but fuck that bitch release her interview.

Also, please proceed Issa, shut the government down. It'll be the last thing you do as a congressman before you get votes out in a wave.

Holmes

Glad we can finally close the book on this investigation (despite House Republicans trying everything they can to keep it open) and hopefully the Democratic primary with an endorsement by Sanders and a more united party heading into the convention.

mo60

HA Goodman picked the wrong week to stop lighting the blood of virgins on fire and sniffing the fumes.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/750812413826654209

He;s going to be really pissed when Sanders endorses Hilary, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was not pissed at all and tried to handwave it away.I wonder if the clinton campaign has seen some of the things this guy has written or said about Hilary in the last year or so and I wonder what their reaction is to it? Also,he probably will have a meltdown when hilary destroys trump in the GE.

Hmm, who could this sheriff be referring to? I wonder...

From the Tea Party's guide to DC

http://dcist.com/2010/08/welcome_to_dc_tea_party.php

DC's population includes refugees from every country, as the families of embassy staffs of third world countries tend to stay in DC whenever a revolution in their homeland means that anyone in their family would be in danger if they went back. Most taxi drivers and many waiters/waitresses (especially in local coffee shops like the Bread and Chocolate chain) are immigrants, frequently from east Africa or Arab countries. As a rule, African immigrants do not like for you to assume they are African Americans and especially do not like for you to guess they are from a neighboring country (e.g. Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia) with whom they may have political or military tensions. It's rare to meet anyone who gets really offended, but you can still be aware of the issue.
Many parts of DC are safe beyond the areas I will list here, but why chance it if you don't know where you are?

If you are on the subway stay on the Red line between Union Station and Shady Grove, Maryland. If you are on the Blue or Orange line do not go past Eastern Market (Capitol Hill) toward the Potomac Avenue stop and beyond; stay in NW DC and points in Virginia. Do not use the Green line or the Yellow line. These rules are even more important at night. There is of course nothing wrong with many other areas; but you don't know where you are, so you should not explore them.

If on foot or in a cab or bus, stay in Bethesda, Arlington (preferably north Arlington), Crystal City, Falls Church, Annandale, or Alexandria, or in DC only in northwest DC west (i.e. larger street numbers) of 14th or 16th streets, or if on Capitol Hill only in SE Capitol Hill (zip 20003) between 1st and 8th Streets, not farther out than 8th (e.g. 9th, 10th etc). (Or stay on the Mall and at the various monuments.) Again there are many other lovely places, from the Catholic University of America to Silver Spring, Maryland. But you don't know where you are so you cannot go, especially at night, unless you take me with you.

While I was there [in 1998] I stayed in a cheap hotel and had the window open. I was on the third floor. I called home and while I was on the phone there was a burst of 9MM automatic weapons fire in the street. My wife said it was pretty loud and was that the TV? I told her it wasn't the TV. It was live in the street in Washington, DC, which is more dangerous than Baghdad.

As someone who lived in DC its that advice is pretty much "avoid black and brown people"

lol, Cincy's a lot more dangerous than the touristy parts of DC (or Georgetown)

I live in Northside in Cincinnati, these Trump-loving crackers would shit their pants walking through my neighborhood.

God damn I hate Warren and Butler counties so fucking bad.

johnsmith

remember me
So instead of just taking Sleepy's advice and repeating Comey's talking points that were given to him on a silver platter he's spending his time bashing a journalist. Ok.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What happens in bizarro world where Trump squeezes out an EV victory but gets trounced in the popular vote due to the margins in blue states? Besides uproar, would there be anything actionable?

Boke1879

So instead of just taking Sleepy's advice and repeating Comey's talking points that were given to him on a silver platter he's spending his time bashing a journalist. Ok.

HE can't help himself. If you criticize him in any way no matter how harmless. He takes it way too personal. He had a gift and he is fumbling that it's not even going to matter past the damn weekend.

They did lose things like Israel-Palestine conflict plan, opposing the TPP, carbon tax, and single-payer. There is also a chance that some of things will be voted down in the convention I think. Although, many of these people want it to be completely be about Bernie's idea.

Should have won the election then... shame.

ampere

Trump potential margin of victory in almost all of the red states combined is a bit over 3/8 of romney's margin of victory in red states over Obama in 2012 according to 538 right now.Utah looks to be driving the big decline.Alabama is not including in this list because no has polled that state yet.
https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/750521911491203072

The Utah margins are craaaaazy. Mormons fucking love Romney and they hate hate Trump

What happens in bizarro world where Trump squeezes out an EV victory but gets trounced in the popular vote due to the margins in blue states? Besides uproar, would there be anything actionable?

If he passes 270, he gets it, that's it

Then he gets impeached for fraud in the Trump U case... maybe lol. And Newt's dreams come true!

Revolver

What did Sleepy Eyes do to Tiny Hands anyway? I think anyone that watched that Raleigh speech had to draw the same conclusion. He had a perfect layup just gifted to him and instead rambled about the Apprentice and how great Saddam was. He chose to revel in buffoonery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom