• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emarv

"Muslim Americans know who the bad Muslims are. They know."
"Anyone who doesn't help identify the bad guys should be punished."

Hmmm.....I wonder what that means....

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is literally Hitler talk. Like literally how he spoke before he rose to power.

It means he wants the SS to make a return.

As a Jew I'm watching 1933 again. Collective punishment, calling them traitors, bans, I'm sorry the comparison is equal.

He's a future hilter

Monica Alba ‏@albamonica 25s26 seconds ago
Pretty good summary of today's dueling speeches:

Clinton: "Today is not a day for politics"

Trump: "I refuse to be politically correct"

More like Trump: "I'm going full fascist".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My god.... That was terrifying.

You aren't kidding.

Trump needs to be smacked down as hard as humanly possible. He doesn't deserve to win a single state.

I remember the comparisons being scoffed at a while back. This is our test with fascism. Lets see if we pass.

Here's hoping.

As a Jew I'm watching 1933 again. Collective punishment, calling them traitors, bans, I'm sorry the comparison is equal.

He's a future hilter

Seriously, you could play this shit side by side with a Hitler speech and there won't be many differences.

User1608

Banned

Christ .
It's fun when he's just all over the place.
He's a fucking idiot.
This is literally Hitler talk. Like literally how he spoke before he rose to power.

It means he wants the SS to make a return.

My god.... That was terrifying.
I'm fucking terrified, friends.

Dammnit I'm not letting some orange fuck me over.

Emarv

That was the most openly fascistic, isolationist speech he's ever given. That was pure insanity.

I know we say that every time, but this is the new bar. This is crazy.

Sianos

Let's dispel with the notion that Donald Trump doesn't understand the implications of what he's saying: he knows exactly what that means.

Thankfully, his narcissistic personality disorder will be his downfall.

This is scary. GOP is supporting this guy. This is scary.

He can be President, that is scary.

I may as well be banned from coming to the US if he becomes President.

I hope the GE voters are just a lot more informed than the GOP primary voters were.

The fact that people who voted for Bernie Sanders are willing to vote for Trump is extremely scary.

If he was even vaguely good at dog whistles, I'd be even more scared. Any sane person can see what he's saying for what it fucking is. My god.

I just....JESUS.

Does anyone know if, as a gay man in Trump's America, if I don't sufficiently hate Muslims and Mexicans, do I have to wear a pink triangle or something?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't think guns are a right. The governments interest outweights your right to a gun.

Its a damn GUN.

The article explains that, though. Basically, as long as SCOTUS rules that guns are a right, tying the terror watch list to banning gun sales is a terrible idea, because it opens the door for it to be used for literally anything. A republican president could add members of BLM (especially if there is any violence or looting during a BLM march) to the list and deny them the ability to organize in public under that precedent.

As it stands, without SCOTUS overturning their current ruling on the 2nd amendment, the gov't banning gun purchases by folks on the (secret) terror watch list would provide precedence to deny any other constitutional right(s) to folks on that list.

Emarv

This is scary. GOP is supporting this guy. This is scary.

He can be President, that is scary.

I may as well be banned from coming to the US if he becomes President.

Don't worry. At least you're not like me. Apparently I'm unable to adequately able to do my job or be a real American since I have Mexican heritage and Mexican parents. Also, I love taco bowls.

The article explains that, though. Basically, as long as SCOTUS rules that guns are a right, tying the terror watch list to banning gun sales is a terrible idea, because it opens the door for it to be used for literally anything. A republican president could add members of BLM (especially if there is any violence or looting during a BLM march) to the list and deny them the ability to organize in public under that precedent.

As it stands, without SCOTUS overturning their current ruling on the 2nd amendment, the gov't banning gun purchases by folks on the (secret) terror watch list would provide precedence to deny any other constitutional right(s) to folks on that list.

lets do that.

And no they couldn't because he 1st amendment rights are under much more strict scrutiny than the "right" own a fun

Fuck.

I saw a name on the list of the dead that looked familiar to me. I thought it was someone I went to school with. I wasn't entirely sure. (We weren't friends or anything like that). I didn't actually have any friends who would have known him. Through a round about way, a friend of my mom confirmed it was him. (Friend of a friend of a friend).

FUCK.

This is some of the media's take
@AnnieLinskey
Another first in this historic 2016 cycle: @realDonaldTrump as the most pro-gay GOP presidential nominee we've had.

I mean he gave a hate speech against muslims but he made a paternalistic comment towards gay people!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
lets do that.

And no they couldn't because he 1st amendment rights are under much more strict scrutiny than the "right" own a fun

Agreed. Banning guns at this point is probably closing the barn after the horse has bolted (and I don't think the government could even afford to buy back all the guns in this country ala Australia) - but there are a lot of sensible gun control laws that would reduce gun violence while letting those who do need rifles / etc (ie; rural areas) still have them. (Guns are a weee bit more important when you live 45 minutes to an hour away from the nearest police station, and / or have to deal with coyotes and mountain lions on your property)

They already can restrict all of an American citizen's rights with the enemy combatant label. If they let someone restrict 2nd amendment w/r/t watch list, there's no legal or constitutional way they could stop the gov't from restricting 1st amendment.

User1608

Banned
NBC News reporters are criticizing him and fact-checking him.
Good on them.
Fuck.

I saw a name on the list of the dead that looked familiar to me. I thought it was someone I went to school with. I wasn't entirely sure. (We weren't friends or anything like that). I didn't actually have any friends who would have known him. Through a round about way, a friend of my mom confirmed it was him. (Friend of a friend of a friend).

FUCK.
I'm so sorry Adam. My condolences.

I mean he gave a hate speech against muslims but he made a paternalistic comment towards gay people!
They're complacent already and they know a Trump presidency would be a ratings bonanza so the the temptation is there.
Yep

Effect

NBC News reporters are criticizing him and fact-checking him.

Good. At least there's that.

Fuck.

FUCK.

Sorry Adam. :( My condolences.

I told myself I would take a day. But a day removed from this hate-slaughter I'm the same as everyone of these.

The NRA and gun owners have made these mass murders easier and common. This doesn't happen else where and certain peoples love of their hobby trumps the 30,000+ deaths yearly. Its disgusting.

Crazy people can't kill 49 without these guns that a fucking legal because people pretend they're not for killing.

I'm so frustrated that so many people put hobbies above lives. I just pray to god this selfishness doesn't take the lives of those I love.

So many people seem to be missing this. Would reinstating the assault rifle ban have prevented this massacre? No.

But maybe we wouldn't be talking about the deadliest mass shooting in US history if we had put it back into law in 2013.

Emarv

Fuck.

FUCK.

So sorry to hear that, bud. Condolences.

Agreed. Banning guns at this point is probably closing the barn after the horse has bolted (and I don't think the government could even afford to buy back all the guns in this country ala Australia) - but there are a lot of sensible gun control laws that would reduce gun violence while letting those who do need rifles / etc (ie; rural areas) still have them. (Guns are a weee bit more important when you live 45 minutes to an hour away from the nearest police station, and / or have to deal with coyotes and mountain lions on your property)

They already can restrict all of an American citizen's rights with the enemy combatant label. If they let someone restrict 2nd amendment w/r/t watch list, there's no legal or constitutional way they could stop the gov't from restricting 1st amendment.

Of course not. The court could have some common sense that the government's interest in gun safety is really high and its limiting the 1st amendment would require a lot more.

Lets not pretend we don't have different standards for different parts of the consitution

Thanks everyone.

Like I said, it wasn't like we were really good friends or anything like that. We knew each other in passing, I guess? My mom's friend is friends with the aunt of the guy he was dating. Super far removed, I guess, but still.....

I think there's a candlelight vigil close to me. Going to probably go to that tonight around 7. I think. I'm still so numb and messed up about it. Normally, I deal with things pretty well. But this hit me where I fucking live, you know?

Fuck.

FUCK.
So sorry to read that.

That afghan reference? It wasn't in his prepared speech:

Bradd Jaffy ‏@BraddJaffy 17m17 minutes ago
It appears Trump's killer "born in Afghan" line was a flub. Wasn't in his prepared remarks. https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-...s-terrorism-immigration-and-national-security …

Ck2mJvBWUAIYqaL.jpg:large

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, I just had to respond to this. It's just, it's just, fucking hell I'm so pissed at her and freaked out by Trump I can't even form the words.

My vacation cannot come soon enough.

Thanks everyone.

Like I said, it wasn't like we were really good friends or anything like that. We knew each other in passing, I guess? My mom's friend is friends with the aunt of the guy he was dating. Super far removed, I guess, but still.....

I think there's a candlelight vigil close to me. Going to probably go to that tonight around 7. I think. I'm still so numb and messed up about it. Normally, I deal with things pretty well. But this hit me where I fucking live, you know?

It's hard, even when you don't know a victim that well. Just being touched by this kind of violence, even at a distance such as this, can leave a lasting mark.

Fuck.

FUCK.

Like I said last night, I find myself measuring these atrocities in terms of how many people they touch. I know multiple people now who at least knew someone that was killed or injured. I doubt many of us don't at least know someone who knew someone amongst the 100.

This one feels a lot closer to home than anything since 9-11 for me. Even the Boston bombing not two hours away didn't cut like this one. Somehow this feels more real. More visceral.

Somehow this feels like even more is at stake. There's no avoiding the politics of such events any more. Just turn on your TV and listen. Not doing anything is still a choice you make too, like Obama said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom