• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I don't understand how Trump is a real human being. He can't just have a certain quality, it has to be the best quality in the history of qualities. A quality so fine you could spin it into the softest blanket of all time.

He is l that kid who's uncle worked at Nintendo

This was pretty much bungled in every way possible. Seriously.
Indeed. It's going to get completely lost between the talk of the tragedy in Nice last night (which will probably continue to dominate much of the news cycle today anyway) and the RNC starting up, and have barely anything to itself. Mess!

I don't know if Pence is a bad pick, but he has a deer in headlights quality about him under fire that has real Palin potential

From twitter.

Iirc his RFRA interviews were bad. Lol when he has to defend Trump.

watershed

Banned
So when are they doing their first event together? Are they gonna get on tv soon? If not, aren't they kind of losing the moment? Hillary's camp needs to define Pence before anyone else gets a chance to.

So when are they doing their first event together? Are they gonna get on tv soon? If not, aren't they kind of losing the moment? Hillary's camp needs to define Pence before anyone else gets a chance to.

they are way ahead of you

no press conference because of Nice.

So... yea, a field day basically

They're doing a press conference tomorrow. On a Saturday. After Nice. On a Saturday morning.

Hillary gets to attack for a full day.

Everything about this is a disaster for Trump (not that I think his veep is gonna change the race)

Emarv

Wait, are you suggesting that the Trump campaign might squander an easy political win due to their incompetence? Say it isn't so.

HylianTom

Banned
This is one of those moments where the difference between Hillary's organizational advantage and Trump's is going to be most pronounced. Her oppo team likely had a file with videos, tweets, and media already prepared for each contingency, allowing her an upper hand in defining/spinning Trump's pick early. He's a blank slate to a large percentage of Americans, so she gets the jump on tilting his ratings.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yeah, the only thing Trump's Twitter announcement accomplishes is giving Hillary's team an entire day to set the narrative before Pence is even introduced.

Slayven

This is one of those moments where the difference between Hillary's organizational advantage and Trump's is going to be most pronounced. Her oppo team likely had a file with videos, tweets, and media already prepared for each contingency, allowing her an upper hand in defining/spinning Trump's pick early. He's a blank slate to a large percentage of Americans, so she gets the jump on tilting his ratings.

So what you are saying is Hillary has Preptime?

Farmboy

In fairness, probably the least terrible pick of those willing to share a ticket with Trump. Certainly better than Christie or Gingrich. Still not someone Rubio/Kasich/Cruz would have picked, though.

VP announcement via tweet?

Classic, amateur Trump.

His hand was forced. Having a big rollout event was out of the question because of Nice, and Pence had a noon deadline for filing for reelection as IN governor. Unless he *wasn't* the pick, the media would've picked up on Pence not filing and ruined the announcement even more.

Emarv

Didn't Obama announce Biden via twitter?

Via text message, I believe. Followed by email and website leading up to a rally that afternoon.

This Twitter thread gets to the idea of a bungled digital announcement.

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/753968154225811457

His hand was forced. Having a big rollout event was out of the question because of Nice, and Pence had a noon deadline for filing for reelection as IN governor. Unless he *wasn't* the pick, the media would've picked up on Pence not filing and ruined the announcement even more.

But his hand wasn't forced. He saw the media shitstorm yesterday. He could have done it then. He knew this deadline was coming up, but instead wasted time being wishy washy in public sight. Instead he bungled every part of it.

Also, that assumes he thinks a rally is inappropriate but a tweet about it isn't? There were so many different ways this could have gone without being forced or inappropriate.

gcubed

In fairness, probably the least terrible pick of those willing to share a ticket with Trump. Certainly better than Christie or Gingrich. Still not someone Rubio/Kasich/Cruz would have picked, though.

Christie would have been able to talk at least. Watching Pence handled RFRA fills me with glee waiting to see him during debates and interviews.

pigeon

Banned
Via text message, I believe. Followed by email and website leading up to a rally that afternoon.

This Twitter thread gets to the idea of a bungled digital announcement.

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/753968154225811457

This is really an amazing Twitter thread. Very strongly suggests that Trump got angry and just went and announced it himself.

But what's really impressive is that Trump's campaign was still super unprepared because they could have reacted to Trump's announcement by doing all this stuff. Apparently they just hadn't planned to do it!

Meanwhile it's been a half hour and Hillary has:

* Video
* Image macro for sharing
* New landing page for donations
* Blog post

I don't have my email solicit yet, I guess that guy isn't in the office. I'll lay odds it shows up in the next hour.

I kind of want to just go work for her campaign, not even because I think she's great and Trump is an existential nightmare, but just because they seem really competent and well-organized! Seems like a good place to work.

Emarv

If I waited to start my final research paper until right before the deadline, and then my grandma ends up in the hospital, it's not my grandmother's fault that I have to scramble over the last 24 hours. My hand wasn't forced. I was ill prepared and ready to adapt to when life happens.

He knew (or his campaign did) that Pence's deadline was coming up. His campaign knew that this was leaking like crazy to the media.

The problem is the Trump campaign continues to be in disarray and even without Corey, there is still heavy infighting and pulling of Trump in multiple directions. Trump can't make a decision. The VP choice is the first easy "presidential" decision someone makes, and the rollout is the first easy execution of a "policy push" that they make, too.

Nice was terrible, but this was already terrible before Nice and remains terrible during Nice when you should be able to be effective through Nice.

HylianTom

Banned
I've looked-up ClintonWarren.com, ClintonWarren2016.com, ClintonKaine.com, and ClintonKaine2016.com - this is the only one that loaded for me:
E0691772-A825-40BF-8E17-41E2055037A7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom