• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
@jbarro said:
Aren't fascists supposed to be good at design?

This really is the worst thing about Trump. Not only is he a fascist, he's a tawdry fascist. Why even have an American fascist movement if we're just going to get camp out of it?

Ophelion

If Clinton chooses Warren, they can be the CW. Like that crappy TV channel that plays Jane the Virgin.

How dare you slander the CW! Where would I get all my superhero trash shows from if not there?!

This really is the worst thing about Trump. Not only is he a fascist, he's a tawdry fascist. Why even have an American fascist movement if we're just going to get camp out of it?

America's nouveau riche roots showing...what's the point of being a fabulously weathy uber-empire if you can't flounce about fabulously in the process?

Emarv

Via Abby Phillip on Twitter

Dem convention speaker list:
Monday: FLOTUS, Sanders
Tuesday: Bill Clinton
Wednesday: POTUS, VP Biden
Thursday: HRC, Chelsea

If Bernie is getting Warren's supposed Monday slot, maybe we're closer to a Warren VP?

Holmes

If Bernie is getting Warren's supposed Monday slot, maybe we're closer to a Warren VP?
I saw this. Interesting that they'd remove someone from the list. The people who make the convention speaker list are a separate team from the VP selection team, so they probably made a preliminary speaker list that included Warren on the first night, got news that Warren will be the VP and switched her on Monday with Sanders.

Maybe.

kirblar

She has a follow up tweet saying Warren's on Monday, looks like she left her off for space

What good VP pick could he have made at this point? I can't think of any good pick that wouldn't turn him down

It's not the pick itself as much as how badly he botched the roll out. This twitter thread has a good summation. .

@ShaneGoldmacher 2h2 hours ago
A few easy digital things Trump's team didn't do before announcing Pence:
1) Update Trump's website with the news.

‏@ShaneGoldmacher 2h2 hours ago
2) Update Mike Pence's profile on Twitter to say he is on the ticket

3) Or update the pinned tweet on the top of Pence's account linking to his reelect page, as people flood there:

4) Buy Google search ads for flood of searches (See comparison for Clinton search):

Shane Goldmacher Retweeted Katie Glueck
5) Secure top domains. See -->

@ShaneGoldmacher 2h
6) Have Pence update HIS political home page, or at least redirect to a Trump-related page

7) Put out of a press release highlighting Pence's life accomplishments that the thousands of reporters writing pieces can crib from.

8) One thing the Trump folks DID do was post on two social networks: Facebook and Twitter https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/posts/10157313030005725 …

‏@ShaneGoldmacher 2h2 hours ago
9) But they still haven't told anything to his nearly 2 million followers on Instagram

10) Again, these are the precious first 30 minutes that hundreds of thousands, even millions, of voters are seeking information about Pence.

11) And another thing: In Trump's initial tweet, he didn't tag @mike_pence so his nearly 10 million followers could follow his VP.

12) Follow up on his promise to text supporters the news https://www.donaldjtrump.com/vp-alert

13) At least so far (45 minutes or so), send an email to his massive list asking for money. VP day is big small-dollar potential day.

His organization has no idea how to ride a wave.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/erykah-badu-concert-will-aid-rape-kit-testing.html

Erykah Badu is donating the proceeds from her upcoming Detroit concert to a nonprofit that tests the city's backlog of rape kits, the Detroit Free Press reports. Five dollars from each ticket sold for Badu's August 12 performance at the Chene Park Amphitheater will go to the African-American 490 Challenge, which raises money to test the 11,000 abandoned rape kits found in a Detroit police warehouse in 2009. (Each test costs $490.) Badu will also donate the proceeds from the concert's $100 "pre-show reception" and $1,000 "VIP reception" to the campaign, in what Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy calls a "phenomenal assist" to the cause. There are tens of thousands of untested rape kits across the United States.

Bless this woman. The fact that there are so many thousands and thousands of rape kits that will seemingly never be tested all across the country should be a rallying cry for women nationwide. Why do we not see this at all on the news? Why have I never heard about this until today? Fuck this country.

Fuchsdh

I've lived in Loudoun for 13 years (actually moved from Lowes Island right after Trump bought the country club down the road to another house in that area)

The only way I've survived here is that I only take jobs as far as maybe Reston or Chantilly. I'm currently doing a thing where I need to drive to Merrifield though and it's short term, but, it does blow.

Also, yeah, we're looking to move further west in Loudoun to get a newer/nicer place, so, I'm probably part of the problem, really. Still, a rural PA Dem at the end of the day though.

Almost went to the Hillary thing down the street yesterday, but, couldn't get out of work.

I got spoiled living in a part of Arlington that was nice suburban houses but I could walk to school, the metro, groceries, and the library. Didn't really realize until I grew up how atypical that was, and of course now I can't afford it. Had jobs in Chantilly but since I was going the "right" way during traffic wasn't ever too bad; mostly I've just commuted to Falls Church from areas around it, and now I'm doing telework so I've lucked out on pretty much every level.

Hopefully we get our transit act together and so in the future living out in the suburbs won't be a snarl of traffic, at least. It's the suburban area of the nation's capital; if they can't get their shit together here nowhere else is going to either.

Abby clarified that Warren is also speaking Monday.

Then why isn't she on the announcement?

Cna9ZvsXEAEp1TI.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/753998583444148224

Emarv

Chelsea and Ivanka both speaking and sowing the seeds for their eventual runs.

Clinton vs Trump rematch in 2032.

This is my fan fiction and none of you can take this from me.

The Dem list seems pretty lean tbh. If Warren is still supposed to be on there, I'd rather they move her to Tuesday if she isn't the VP.

Pretty sure this is for the one hour that networks are showing each night. Even if Big Dog only goes 30 minutes, when you include intros and everything that would only leave 10-15 or so for a second speaker.

I feel like Warren will be VP and I think this is such a mistake. Imagine losing the Senate by one seat? There will be two SCOTUS vacancies, we absolutely need a Senate majority. VP is such a useless position, we need her in the Senate.

Trump's official website still has not put up anything regarding the VP pick. Still. They had that preposterous logo set to go but updating anyone's official website? Nah.

"If he coud get out of it" is interesting, implying Trump didn't actually get to pick VP on his own. What could have stopped him from changing his mind before the "official" announcement?

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. It's mentioned at the very very very bottom solely because it's a direct display of his Twitter feed. Nice.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like Warren will be VP and I think this is such a mistake. Imagine losing the Senate by one seat? There will be two SCOTUS vacancies, we absolutely need a Senate majority. VP is such a useless position, we need her in the Senate.

The Dems in Mass can just change the rules again so they get to appoint until the special election, at which point Joe Kennedy runs and wins. Dude won't even need to campaign, the entire state will just vote for him on reflex.

What did I tell you guys? What did I tell you guys?

"Trump kids vs Manafort: Dawn of Justice" was real!

CNN is really going in on Trump already regretting Pence and the general strangeness surrounding this whole thing.

I'm not sure what Trump hopes to gain by doubling down on bigotry while also picking someone who contradicts him on so much of his (being generous here) policy.

Note that Mike Pence is a lunatic:

The law did something truly bizarre. It would have basically forced women to seek funerary services for a fetus — whether she’d had an abortion or a miscarriage, and no matter how far along the pregnancy was. The law Pence backed would have required all fetal tissue to be cremated or buried, an unprecedented measure in state law. The law also banned abortion if the fetus had a "disability" like Down syndrome, which would have also denied women the right to end a pregnancy in the event of more serious fetal anomalies.

The wording of the burial provision meant that technically, even if a woman had a miscarriage at eight weeks of pregnancy at home, she would have to keep the blood and tissue, take it to a hospital, and have it buried or cremated by a funeral home.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/14/12190380/mike-pence-trump-vice-president-abortion-funerals-fetuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom