• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

itschris

So, can we assume that Trump delayed today's announcement because of his hesitation and a last minute attempt to change things (as in it had zilch to do with Nice)?

Yep.

j1mUd6fl.jpg

Effect

So, can we assume that Trump delayed today's announcement because of his hesitation and a last minute attempt to change things (as in it had zilch to do with Nice)?

I'm sure he was at least aware of the optics but it wasn't like he was holding the event last night. He knew Pence had a deadline. With these reports coming out it's very likely they used that as cover for his hesitation.

The Nice mass murderer was a domestic abuser too.

People who hit and choke (without consent and in a non-BDSM setting) their partners are worthless losers and sub-human.

Just respond by telling them the differences in wealth has always been exponential so it's only fair that taxes follow an exponential model.

Also ask them if they know how marginal tax rates work, when they inevitably say no explain that everyone IS taxed the same in terms of income tax, it's just that the marginal tax rates only apply to income after the margins.

I always have to explain that. It's insane how much people bitch about tax rates without even understanding the basics.

What do you mean?

A lot of younger people wanted a Sanders/Warren ticket. I think they would go from "Bernie lost? Jill Stein it is!" to "but I do like Elizabeth Warren, wtf Democrats". It would probably be more accurate to say that if she selected Sanders as a VP. I know Warren made some comments that lead to her falling out of favor with some younger people, but I imagine she still has some name recognition. It would be one of those internal struggle moments for a lot of younger voters who don't like Hillary but really do like Warren.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Warren would be an amazing choice at this point. Come on, Hillary. Do the right thing.

Can someone PLEASE explain this bullshit to me?! Why would Trump need to "get out of" picking Pence? It's his campaign! I KNEW he wanted Gingrich, the chemistry and qualifications are so obvious to me and everyone else.
Trump dumping Pence would be the funniest thing. Won't happen but I'd die.
If this happens I will literally post the trollface meme unironically in this thread. I don't care if I get banned for that.

Grexeno

The close-to-Fairfax part of Loudoun has a massive amount of construction- I just moved into a new place right across the Fairfax border. And now they have a metro line coming making for easier access.

Keep in mind a lot of the people living in the outer counties are actually commuting to Fairfax/Arl/etc.
Wow we actually live super close then

Can someone PLEASE explain this bullshit to me?! Why would Trump need to "get out of" picking Pence? It's his campaign! I KNEW he wanted Gingrich, the chemistry and qualifications are so obvious to me.

If this happens I will literally post the trollface meme unironically in this thread. I don't care if I get banned for that.

I guess because someone from Trump or Pence's camp started leaking that Pence was a done deal yesterday, and the theory would be that Trump was dragged into picking Pence to avoid revealing serious campaign discord. If so, it was unsuccessful.

Can someone PLEASE explain this bullshit to me?! Why would Trump need to "get out of" picking Pence? It's his campaign! I KNEW he wanted Gingrich, the chemistry and qualifications are so obvious to me.

From the reporting, Trump was furious of the leaks and asked what it would take to ditch Pence.

From what I understand, it doesn't mean he *would*, but he explored the possibility.

Either way, Pence is locked now.

Ty4on

From the reporting, Trump was furious of the leaks and asked what it would take to ditch Pence.

From what I understand, it doesn't mean he *would*, but he explored the possibility.

Either way, Pence is locked now.
I wonder if the deadline for the governor race also messed it up. Pence, by thinking he was the nominee, effectively forced Trump to choose him.

Teggy

CNN reports Trump was trying to find out if he could get rid of Pence last night.

Trump spokesperson tweets it's absolutely untrue.

NBC tweets they have confirmed CNN story.

If you ignore all policies and such, it's pretty obvious Trump has no business being anywhere near the Presidency. Dude is such an amateur.

Pence is basically a generic Republican. Won't help sway anyone who wouldn't normally vote Republican and conservatives were mostly already holding their nose for Trump.

This doesn't move the needle either way. I think he was the least bad of the 3 choices Trump had. Newt had disaster potential, especially.

As for Hillary, I don't want Kaine cuz I feel like it would be great if they could really fire up people to vote. I'm not saying it has to be Warren, as I originally wanted her to stay in the Senate, but somebody besides Kaine would be nice.

Kane vs Pence would basically mean nothing. Someone like Warren could eat Pence for dinner at a debate.

A lot of younger people wanted a Sanders/Warren ticket. I think they would go from "Bernie lost? Jill Stein it is!" to "but I do like Elizabeth Warren, wtf Democrats". It would probably be more accurate to say that if she selected Sanders as a VP. I know Warren made some comments that lead to her falling out of favor with some younger people, but I imagine she still has some name recognition. It would be one of those internal struggle moments for a lot of younger voters who don't like Hillary but really do like Warren.

No, it's going to be an easy choice for most millennials, especially non-white millenials. They care about social issues more than older generations.

It's especially going to be easy because Trump picked for VP the guy who everyone hated in spring 2015.

If you ignore all policies and such, it's pretty obvious Trump has no business being anywhere near the Presidency. Dude is such an amateur.

Pence is basically a generic Republican. Won't help sway anyone who wouldn't normally vote Republican and conservatives were mostly already holding their nose for Trump.

This doesn't move the needle either way. I think he was the least bad of the 3 choices Trump had. Newt had disaster potential, especially.

As for Hillary, I don't want Kaine cuz I feel like it would be great if they could really fire up people to vote. I'm not saying it has to be Warren, as I originally wanted her to stay in the Senate, but somebody besides Kaine would be nice.

Kane vs Pence would basically mean nothing. Someone like Warren could eat Pence for dinner at a debate.

Obviously none of Trump's options were good, but honestly I think Christie would have been a better choice for him than Pence. Both had issues, but Pence's whole RFRA debacle was just last year. Christie is clearly more moderate than Pence.

Agreed on Kaine and Warren, especially now that Pence is the VP pick for Trump. The moment the VP debate goes into social issues Warren is going to destroy Pence.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Newts new Sharia Gestapo proposal is so Trumpian it hurts. A "what could have been" mating call from a spurned lover, just to make it sting.
It's clear Trump and Newt would have made beautiful babies were made for each other, so the question is, did Manafort and his kids change the login credentials to his balls right after the got his Twitter?

shem935

Banned
Newts new Sharia Gestapo proposal is so Trumpian it hurts. A "what could have been" mating call from a spurned lover, just to make it sting.
It's clear Trump and Newt would have made beautiful babies were made for each other, so the question is, did manafort and his Kids change the login credentials to his balls right after the got his Twitter?

If I was good at photoshop I would shop Newts tweet and Trumps head onto that Wolverine picture meme.

It's not just because I'm a Democrat that really likes watching dumpster fires: if I were a conservative for whom race issues were minimally important, I would really want Trump to pick Gingrich.

The reasons are so obvious that they don't need to be stated but I'll delineate them anyway.
- Gingrich is a conservative intellectual. In a field of idiots who can hardly tie their own shoes, Newt often speaks eloquently and presents the conservative agenda with grace and aplomb. He's a great speaker and there was a reason he was the voice of conservative renaissance in the 90s. And by the way, Pence counts as one of those idiots.
- Gingrich is a beloved icon in conservative circles. Before there was a tea party demanding conservatives to shake things up and butt heads with the establishment, Newt pioneered the partisan politics we hold dear today. By getting his way so often by starting a fight with the Clinton administration, Newt discovered early on in his career that conflict, not compromise, was the way to get things done in politics, and the House was changed for the worse.
- Newt has incredible synergy with Trump. It doesn't matter that The Donald doesn't need an attack dog; Newt is a pit bull through and through and the two work very well together. They're also on the same page about most of Trump's policies. Meanwhile, Pence has publicly disagreed with Muslim ban. Newt doubled down on it this morning!
- Newt is fundamentally a SOMEBODY. Trump's campaign is such a disaster that he needs someone to make it credible and the fact is that a fucking nobody like Mike Who Pence is going to do diddly squat for the campaign.
- Newt has way more capacity to unify conservatives than Pence does. It's just a fact.

Trump should dump Pence as soon as possible. For the lawls, but also because it's the strategically correct thing to do.

I know national elections are a completely different ballgame, but the fact that this guy tore the party to shreds in the primary is absolute madness. The republican party should have been prepared to knock him down several pegs and didn't.
Really goes to show how pitiful the Republican Party is and how unwilling they are to stand up to their fringe (which might as well just be their base).

Conventional wisdom shouldn't be "Wow, Trump is great, he beat all the Republicans!" it should be "Holy shit, they lost to Donald Trump"

Obviously if the fundamentals of the election favor him he could win, but a nonexistent campaign will cost him votes on election day.

Fuchsdh

You know while it's weird the T/P logo looks like some cut-rate college emblem and the type below it screams "WE ARE AUTHORITARIAN" I have to give the Trump-Pence logo props for not being the same damn political logotype we usually get.

CNN reports Trump was trying to find out if he could get rid of Pence last night.

Trump spokesperson tweets it's absolutely untrue.

NBC tweets they have confirmed CNN story.

haha, this is amazing if this becomes the central takeaway for his VP pick this weekend

hahahahahahaha

I think a big reason why Trump settled on Pence was because Newt and Christie has the potential to steal headlines, Pence does not.

Obviously, Pence gets headlines from being picked, but after that no one will care about him post RNC speech until the VP debate.

On the other hand, Newt and Christie are loud and say tons of shit and would grab headlines from Trump and make Trump answer questions about them rather than him. He doesn't want that.

edit: Ras has Trump +7 at 44-37. LOL.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's not just because I'm a Democrat that really likes watching dumpster fires: if I were a conservative for whom race issues were minimally important, I would really want Trump to pick Gingrich.

The reasons are so obvious that they don't need to be stated but I'll delineate them anyway.
- Gingrich is a conservative intellectual. In a field of idiots who can hardly tie their own shoes, Newt often speaks eloquently and presents the conservative agenda with grace and aplomb. He's a great speaker and there was a reason he was the voice of conservative renaissance in the 90s. And by the way, Pence counts as one of those idiots.
- Gingrich is a beloved icon in conservative circles. Before there was a tea party demanding conservatives to shake things up and butt heads with the establishment, Newt pioneered the partisan politics we hold dear today. By getting his way so often by starting a fight with the Clinton administration, Newt discovered early on in his career that conflict, not compromise, was the way to get things done in politics, and the House was changed for the worse.
- Newt has incredible synergy with Trump. It doesn't matter that The Donald doesn't need an attack dog; Newt is a pit bull through and through and the two work very well together. They're also on the same page about most of Trump's policies. Meanwhile, Pence has publicly disagreed with Muslim ban. Newt doubled down on it this morning!
- Newt is fundamentally a SOMEBODY. Trump's campaign is such a disaster that he needs someone to make it credible and the fact is that a fucking nobody like Mike Who Pence is going to do diddly squat for the campaign.
- Newt has way more capacity to unify conservatives than Pence does. It's just a fact.

Trump should dump Pence as soon as possible. For the lawls, but also because it's the strategically correct thing to do.

Good summation of the issue. I agree with everything except Pence being "an idiot." He just seems like a backup plan. Somebody Trump chose to mend fences with establishment. I don't think that's what he needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom