• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm going to repost my thoughts on VP:

Here's how I would break it down:

The Excite The Base Crowd:

Elizabeth Warren
Tom Perez
Sherrod Brown

The Do No Harm Crowd:

Tim Kaine
Xavier Becerra
Tim Ryan

The Rising Star Crowd:

Cory Booker
Eric Garcetti
Julian Castro

Something to note about each group is that you can see that there is a Latino in each one. Also important to note that there is only one woman on the list, which speaks to the idea that maybe Warren can transcend the negatives that would come with a two woman ticket.

I don't see Hillary picking Garcetti (as much as I love him) or Castro at this point. I think there's an idea that Castro is the Emperor With No Clothes while Xavier is more of the real deal (albeit a lot older than Castro).

I think the most likely options are Warren, Booker, Perez, Kaine, and Becerra, and I would imagine that's what the list will most likely shrink to.

I would add Booker to the Emperor With No Clothes bit - he has done some really shady things in NJ, and don't get me started on the bullshit he did with the giant pile of education money they were given.

Perez all the way.

Correct.

But you have way more changes implemented in the '09-'10 cycle that you get to maintain.

All the power is moving to the SC/Executive explicitly due to the logjam. That's a problem.

It's a really big problem that everyone has seem to accept as the new standard, which is super duper terrifying to me.

Peak cereal x baileys

He's moved up to something stronger.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
@Reince

Flying to Dallas now with @realDonaldTrump...Reports of discord are pure fiction. Great events lined up all over Texas. Rs will win in Nov!

Notice how he just says "Rs" but doesn't specify how many and whom.

"I told you guys some republicans would win their races in November! I never said Trump would!"

Reince has to know not only they're going to lose but he's losing his job at the end of the year. What will he do but eat cereal with baileys all day!?!?

Iolo

This seems like a coded message for help.

Got you covered

https://twitter.com/dellcam/status/743513639223603200

ClF9tRTUYAEmc9g.jpg

kirblar

Pretty sure Booker is on that list under what's effectively the Dem's version of the NFL head coach hiring rule. You can't not have a black guy on the list, so you put on someone you're obviously not picking.

Who is this person on CNN basically saying it's on Obama to executive action his way to a gun ban? This is why nothing ever happens, instead of pressuring the people that need to be pressured, you go off on a wild goose chase.

kirblar

Who is this person on CNN basically saying it's on Obama to executive action his way to a gun ban? This is why nothing ever happens, instead of pressuring the people that need to be pressured, you go off on a wild goose chase.
They're not wrong. Nothing gets passed through the House/Senate w/ GOP control.

You think an executive action is going to work against an amendment in the constitution? First of all, how does that even pass the most basic level of appeals to the courts and secondly, what the hell kind of precedent does that set for every other amendment?

kirblar

You think an executive action is going to work against an amendment in the constitution? First of all, how does that even pass the most basic level of appeals to the courts and secondly, what the hell kind of precedent does that set for every other amendment?
2nd amendment's current interpretation is likely not going to be around much longer.

But the executive action only has the force of law within the executive's scope.

He can't make an executive action banning any guns. He can make an executive action banning the DOJ from selling guns I guess but that won't do shit.

Executive actions aren't law or legislation. They have the force of law but only within their limited scope.

kirblar

But the executive action only has the force of law within the executive's scope.

He can't make an executive action banning any guns. He can make an executive action banning the DOJ from selling guns I guess but that won't do shit.

Executive actions aren't law or legislation. They have the force of law but only within their limited scope.
Correct. But what that scope is? That's often something where you can play fast and loose. Change classifications, recategorize, etc. Figure out a way to regulate it using existing powers.

And do it after the election

Correct. But what that scope is? That's often something where you can play fast and loose. Change classifications, recategorize, etc. Figure out a way to regulate it using existing powers.

And do it after the election

No, the scope is pretty clear in general.

Executive actions affect the Executive Branch. If the President made an EO banning sales of guns, any guns, the Courts would reject it within hours. And rightly so, I might add.

EO can only affect people that work for the federal gov't or contracted by them.

That's why when Obama raised overtime pay it was only for federal or federally contracted workers, not all workers.

There is nothing to play fast and loose with. That's just not how an EO works. They are not legislative decrees.

kirblar

No, the scope is pretty clear in general.

Executive actions affect the Executive Branch. If the President made an EO banning sales of guns, any guns, the Courts would reject it within hours. And rightly so, I might add.

EO can only affect people that work for the federal gov't or contracted by them.

That's why when Obama raised overtime pay it was only for federal or federally contracted workers, not all workers.

There is nothing to play fast and loose with. That's just not how an EO works. They are not legislative decrees.
Things like reclassifying marijuana- you can do that so it falls under review of a different regulatory panel. You don't need legislation for that- it's part of the executive functionality in carrying out laws.

The key is to be creative.

Obama could do that w/ pay because he had direct control of federal/contractor salaries. You have to work within bounds, but you can nudge those bounds outward and contort them.

Things like reclassifying marijuana- you can do that so it falls under review of a different regulatory panel. You don't need legislation for that- it's part of the executive functionality in carrying out laws.

The key is to be creative.

Obama could do that w/ pay because he had direct control of federal/contractor salaries. You have to work within bounds, but you can nudge those bounds outward and contort them.

And he'd still get smacked down by lower courts on up. And I would rathwr we not head down that slope

Ann Kirkpatrick's statement on McCain's gaffe

ClGVGRpUoAEJGph.jpg:large
Probably the best tactic to take with him, it seems a lot of people share that sentiment (McCain has changed).

To be frank, even if you still held onto him being some paragon of moderate, sensible GOP politics after his 08 campaign, that should have gone out the window when he endorsed Trump after being shit on directly by the guy. Whatever principles he had died with his presidential campaign and they haven't returned.

I hope the first thing Kirkpatrick does in the Senate is write a campaign finance reform bill with Feingold. Like McCain-Feingold 2.0, without the McCain because fuck him.

Kos has a piece about Democratic favorable numbers vs. the GOP's (Hillary, Obama, Dem Party as a whole vs. Trump and GOP Party as a whole). Needless to say, team blue is winning big on that front. Even Hillary's numbers, while still underwater, have been improving.

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1539520

mo60

Probably the best tactic to take with him, it seems a lot of people share that sentiment (McCain has changed).

To be frank, even if you still held onto him being some paragon of moderate, sensible GOP politics after his 08 campaign, that should have gone out the window when he endorsed Trump after being shit on directly by the guy. Whatever principles he had died with his presidential campaign and they haven't returned.

I hope the first thing Kirkpatrick does in the Senate is write a campaign finance reform bill with Feingold. Like McCain-Feingold 2.0, without the McCain because fuck him.

Kos has a piece about Democratic favorable numbers vs. the GOP's (Hillary, Obama, Dem Party as a whole vs. Trump and GOP Party as a whole). Needless to say, team blue is winning big on that front. Even Hillary's numbers, while still underwater, have been improving.

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1539520

It's sad to see Mccain attach himself to a dying ship along with a bunch of other GOP senators and leaders. I wonder what they will do when trump is done like 10 or even 20 points in the polls later this year.

ampere

Ann Kirkpatrick's statement on McCain's gaffe

ClGVGRpUoAEJGph.jpg:large

I think I just don't understand John McCain anymore. Does he really believe this shit? He lets Trump shit all over him and now he accuses Obama of being responsible for a crazy lone wolf murderer?

McCain is digging his own grave. And he might get me to actually donate to Kirkpatrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom