• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
That's somewhat reasonable. ISIS did grow and prosper under Obama's watch, but it emerged largely due to decisions made years and even decades before he took office.

And I'm not a fan of taking agency away from those who commit acts of terror. "George Bush created ISIS" is provocative, but also kind of offensive.

McCain put out a statemeny (lol) "clarifying" his earlier accusation:

j6fpBhs.png

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public...enator-john-mccain-clarifying-earlier-remarks
God the GOP is a dumpster fire right now.

That's somewhat reasonable. ISIS did grow and prosper under Obama's watch, but it emerged largely due to decisions made years and even decades before he took office.

And I'm not a fan of taking agency away from those who commit acts of terror. "George Bush created ISIS" is provocative, but also kind of offensive.

I don't see how it's reasonable in political discourse. Nobody credits Reagan with supporting freedom fighters in Afghanistan because of what it later turned into. It's a ridiculous standard and further feeds the idea that the President is a demi-god that controls the economy, the world, natural disasters, and who knows what else. We're not that far off from people blaming their elected leaders for droughts.

It's sad to see Mccain attach himself to a dying ship along with a bunch of other GOP senators and leaders. I wonder what they will do when trump is done like 10 or even 20 points in the polls later this year.
I don't know, but it's not like they have any good options here. Distancing themselves from Trump or even flat-out rejecting him will earn them the ire of the GOP base that nominated him. They made their own grave here.

I'm not convinced either that 2020 will go much better for them. For all the talk about Clinton, Warren, Obama etc attacking Trump in ways that his primary opponents never did, it's because all of these attacks would have played terribly with the GOP primary electorate. There's an uncomfortable truth that the core of the GOP base is just fundamentally racist, sexist and xenophobic. And they've been comfortable with responding to the dog whistles used by the establishment, but no longer. Obama's election has sent them into a mass hysteria that won't be satiated with "Yeah, well crack down on the freeloaders *wink wink*" People act like this started with Trump. But look at Christine O'Donnell in 2010, or Richard Mourdock in 2012. Both knocked off well-respected party leaders who would have won those races easily. Nothing quite that bad happened in 2014, but remember that Thad Cochran almost lost re-election to a KKK member, and had to rely on the state's black voters to bail him out.

They're done. The GOP in its current form is done. They might still do well in midterm elections where no one shows up (Democrats urgently need to figure out a way to mobilize their supporters), but in presidential races they're utterly fucked. They'll be singing this same tune in 2020.

User1608

Banned
I have no sympathy for McCain. There was a time I used to have respect for him, but beginning from his pick of Sarah Palin to his increasing bitterness and support of Trump...none remains. He was so consistent on his support of immigration reform too.:( It's why I couldn't dislike him completely until recent times.

Probably the best tactic to take with him, it seems a lot of people share that sentiment (McCain has changed).

To be frank, even if you still held onto him being some paragon of moderate, sensible GOP politics after his 08 campaign, that should have gone out the window when he endorsed Trump after being shit on directly by the guy. Whatever principles he had died with his presidential campaign and they haven't returned.

I hope the first thing Kirkpatrick does in the Senate is write a campaign finance reform bill with Feingold. Like McCain-Feingold 2.0, without the McCain because fuck him.

Kos has a piece about Democratic favorable numbers vs. the GOP's (Hillary, Obama, Dem Party as a whole vs. Trump and GOP Party as a whole). Needless to say, team blue is winning big on that front. Even Hillary's numbers, while still underwater, have been improving.

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1539520

Oh geez. Hillary's numbers slightly improving, so are the Democrats... oh no. Poor Reince!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Obama isn't gonna executive action his way to banning anything. It's the same as usual - a lot of grumbling and feet stamping that leads to nothing because its an election year and the populace in general doesn't actually support banning guns in any meaningful way.

Iolo

Somebody explain to me how the rise of ISIL in Syria amidst a years-long civil war there could have been prevented by leaving a rump force in Iraq in 2011. Were they going to look across the border real hard?

Also, I'm now referring to Reince Priebus as Wince Pubis, because he gets kicked in the nuts every day by his presumptive nominee.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

It was not properly talked about, the the difference between the superpac spending and campaign donations is insane. Those later numbers do have more impact than typical, since if you work for the NRA and donate, you are very likely to hold the same views as the NRA. But the direct donations were literal pocket change in comparison. That's why I urge people to look at the bigger problem, Superpacs, not direct donations.

Somebody explain to me how the rise of ISIL in Syria amidst a years-long civil war there could have been prevented by leaving a rump force in Iraq in 2011. Were they going to look across the border real hard?

Also, I'm now referring to Reince Priebus as Wince Pubis, because he gets kicked in the nuts every day by his presumptive nominee.

We just have to find a way to get him to say:

Subeirp Ecnier

No, McCain was calling for air strikes in Syria very early on against Assad and immediate support for moderate rebel forces like we did in Lybia. Destabilization of the Syrian government and vast power vacuums coupled with widespread disenfranchisement was the perfect recipe for extremism to bleed over into Iraq and secure a two-nation rural oil stronghold.

It was not properly talked about, the the difference between the superpac spending and campaign donations is insane. Those later numbers do have more impact than typical, since if you work for the NRA and donate, you are very likely to hold the same views as the NRA. But the direct donations were literal pocket change in comparison. That's why I urge people to look at the bigger problem, Superpacs, not direct donations.

We just have to find a way to get him to say:

Subeirp Ecnier

It's genuinely not just about the money in the case of the NRA though. I mean, look at dirty energy companies. They give loads of money to the government, and sure I don't doubt that slows down emissions regulation and all that jazz, but we aren't in the situation where *anything* the energy companies want voted down, gets voted down.

So why are the NRA able to this if it's not just money?

What makes the NRA such a force is that they've been able to convince their members that they have their best interests at heart, while really only having the gun companies best interests at heart. Their members will vote the way the NRA tells them to vote. In that regard they're like a union, except really rich.

They target specific politicians they don't like. They find someone to run against them or prop up whoever runs against them with money and votes... and then when that person wins, they don't say to them 'if you want to keep getting the campaign donations do what we want'.

They say 'If you don't do what we want, we're going to take you out of office just as we put you in office.'

And that's a much stronger piece of leverage than just campaign donations.

You beat the NRA by ruining their credibility. That's what people need to be doing.

Things like reclassifying marijuana- you can do that so it falls under review of a different regulatory panel. You don't need legislation for that- it's part of the executive functionality in carrying out laws.

The key is to be creative.

Obama could do that w/ pay because he had direct control of federal/contractor salaries. You have to work within bounds, but you can nudge those bounds outward and contort them.

But he can't reclassify marijuana though an EO as far as I understand. It's already been codified into legislation how he can go about doing it (it's through petition of the FDA and DEA/Attorney General) or Congress passes a new law/amends the CSA.

I think you're thinking executive orders are more powerful than they truly are.

Oh geez. Hillary's numbers slightly improving, so are the Democrats... oh no. Poor Reince!
Democrats are .3% away from breaking even.

There are now 28 House seats ranked as Lean R or worse for the GOP per Sabato. Democrats need to pick up 30. That's offset by Gwen Graham's district which is Safe R pickup. But otherwise we're almost in business.

You know what? I feel good - I'm going to make a wacky prediction. Democrats pick up 45 seats in the House this fall. Give me a stupid avatar for a month if I'm wrong. It's going to be a wave election and there will be a number of seats not on anyone's radar that won't break until very late.

McCain is wrong if you view this attack as having anything to do with ISIS. I don't think it does and most people have pointed out how incoherent the viewpoint is. However, if you do think extremism abroad contributes significantly to extremism at home, then yes, Obama's fatalistic inaction in Syria allowed for the growth of ISIS and a greater schism of power in the middle east. The posters in here so gleefully willing to dismiss Obama's failure in terms of securing Syria are oblivious to this fact.

Iolo

McCain is wrong if you view this attack as having anything to do with ISIS. I don't think it does and most people have pointed out how incoherent the viewpoint is. However, if you do think extremism abroad contributes significantly to extremism at home, then yes, Obama's fatalistic inaction in Syria allowed for the growth of ISIS and a greater schism of power in the middle east. The posters in here so gleefully willing to dismiss Obama's failure in terms of securing Syria are oblivious to this fact.

Notice there was no mention of Syria in McCain's statement.

Vestal

So let me get this straight.. If on the way of someone killing 47 people they yell "Fried CHICKEN RULES" Then he is somehow killing in the name of the Colonel?

Someone needs to tell these morons that simply yelling something doesn't make it true. There is actual investigation and such that needs to take place. It could be true that he was a radical, or it could be the last ditch effort to fuck with the world, and he was nothing more than a psychopathic bigot.

He doesn't even mention Syria genius. He says, very specifically, that withdrawing troops from IRAQ led to this. A withdraw put in place by the previous administration mind you.

McCain said Iraq.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So let me get this straight.. If on the way of someone killing 47 people they yell "Fried CHICKEN RULES" Then he is somehow killing in the name of the Colonel?

Someone needs to tell these morons that simply yelling something doesn't make it true. There is actual investigation and such that needs to take place. It could be true that he was a radical, or it could be the last ditch effort to fuck with the world, and he was nothing more than a psychopathic bigot.

"in the name of the Colonel"

bwahaha

But the bolded part is so true! The sheepish Republicans followed Trump's lead and jumped to conclusions within a few hours and beyond. Now it's biting them in the ass even more.

Bernie lost another Super Delegate. Rep. Raul Grijalva, Bernie's first endorsement in the House, switched to Hillary and endorsed her today.

Edit: Kasich said on local news that he is not behind Trump, but he won't vote for Hillary either.

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't see how it's reasonable in political discourse. Nobody credits Reagan with supporting freedom fighters in Afghanistan because of what it later turned into. It's a ridiculous standard and further feeds the idea that the President is a demi-god that controls the economy, the world, natural disasters, and who knows what else. We're not that far off from people blaming their elected leaders for droughts.

I think quite a few people do attribute the rise of Afghan fundamentalism to Reagan, and he was absolutely more complicit in the Taliban than Obama was for ISIS. Should this kind of accusatory and bombastic commentary be welcome in our political climate? No, but that doesn't make the claims worthless.

Barack Obama could have done quite a bit more to stop ISIS. Should he have employed these tools is an entirely different question.

Iolo

There was mention of ISIS. ISIS has everything to do with Syria.

You would have done better to argue with me that ISIS originated in Iraq (its original name being ISI, Islamic State in Iraq), and only later expanded to Syria, so McCain might have a point. But this would have required an acknowledgement that ISI (founded in 2006) was a direct result of the disbanding of Saddam's forces under Bush. Syria provided operating space for ISIL between 2011-2014 before they merged with the Iraq side, so I am still left to wonder what you expected a rump force in Iraq to accomplish from across the border; again, stare menacingly and wish that bombs would fall in Syria?

Your assertion that posters were "gleefully willing to dismiss Obama's failure in terms of securing Syria" is a strawman because no one did this, including John McCain in his statement that this is all Obama's fault because of his incompetence or malfeasance wrt Iraq.

Iolo

Fuck, tornado warning in Virginia. This was directly caused by Obama's failure to address global warming in 2011.

He doesn't even mention Syria genius. He says, very specifically, that withdrawing troops from IRAQ led to this. A withdraw put in place by the previous administration mind you.

First, cut the condescension. If I wanted to be harangued, I'd call my ex-girlfriend.

Second, the withdrawal of United States troops is in fact what left Iraq vulnerable, and it was ISIS' campaign in Iraq which made them internationally famous, not Syria. We had been hearing about terrorist elements in Syria for years, now, but nobody took them seriously. The Syrian ambassador once spoke on CNN about how Assad's harsh reaction might have been a bit of an overreaction, but it was because the regime had serious concerns about terrorism in Syria and especially in the East. He was laughed at.

No, nobody knew who ISIS was until they stormed the western frontier of Iraq and took miles of land every day. Maliki (conspicuously) orders his troops to abandon Mosul (because fuck the Sunnis, right?), left all their American gifts behind, and ISIS stormed through and crucified people on the highway to signal their victory. They took oil fields. Then they got within a stone's throw of Baghdad and everyone flipped their shit. Then James Foley... etc.

All of this broke the news after the insurgency in Iraq happened, not before. I don't know why that is (world stability and terrorism should be on the front news every fucking day), but my guess is that the news of a destabilizing Iraq is more interesting than a destabilizing Syria because it adds an element to our long history with that country. In any case, if we're specifically talking about a) the coordination of attacks abroad against western countries and b) the inspiration of lone-wolf attacks when it is unfeasible to sanctioned terrorist attacks then both of those become much easier when you're on the front news every single day. I've never heard of anyone being inspired in the US by al Shebab in Africa or the Uighurs in China, or whatever the hell those muslim rebels are called in the southern Philippines. And this kind of power and wealth was possible because of their invasion of Iraq.

FURTHERMORE: they only could have invaded Iraq if there was no residual force left in Iraq from the US occupation and there was a breeding ground just across the river... which was only possible because of Syria. Double mistake on Obama's part! He should have either let Syria fall apart but keep a significant peacekeeping force in Iraq to make sure the gains were not lost, or he should have done whatever was necessary to enable a stabilizing presence in Syria, whatever form that might take. Russian influence, an Arab peacekeeping force, UN security forces, US boots on the ground, or substantial support for the Assad regime; any of the above would have been preferential to the shitshow we let happen on our watch.

Third, McCain has been for leaving a residual force in Iraq since his presidential campaign in 2008 because he actually visited Baghdad and knew what he was talking about. I don't care if Bush had a withdrawal date. Bush was wrong about practically everything in his presidency.

McCain said Iraq.

See above.

Morning Consult looked at the most popular Senators in America last week. I'm going to repost, from most to least popular. Kind of an eye-opening list, especially for 2016 and 2020.

https://morningconsult.com/senate-approval-bernie-rubio-cruz/

Bernie Sanders (I-VT): 80/17
Susan Collins (R-ME): 79/13
Angus King (I-ME): 74/14
John Hoeven: (R-ND): 74/10
Patrick Leahy (D-VT): 73/10
Tom Carper (D-DE): 69/20
Amy Klobuchar (D-MN): 68/21
John Barrasso (R-WY): 65/27
Chris Coons (D-DE): 63/24
Al Franken (D-MN): 63/26
Chuck Schumer (D-NY): 62/23
John Thune (R-SD): 62/26
Mark Warner (D-VA): 62/21
Elizabeth Warren (D-MA): 61/27
Barbara Mikulski (D-MD): 60/21
Richard Shelby (R-AL): 59/28
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK): 59/21
Richard Blumenthal (D-CT): 59/27
Steve Daines (R-MT): 59/23
Jack Reed (D-RI): 59/25
Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH): 58/33
Ron Wyden (D-OR): 58/21
Mike Enzi (R-WY): 58/21
Tom Udall (D-NM): 57/23
Patty Murray (D-WA): 57/27
Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV): 57/25
Joe Manchin (D-WV): 57/30
Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY): 56/20
Dan Sullivan (R-AK): 55/23
Chuck Grassley (R-IA): 55/29
Ted Cruz (R-TX): 55/30
Maria Cantwell (D-WA): 55/24
Jeff Sessions (R-AL): 54/24
Ben Cardin: (R-MD): 54/18
Kelly Ayotte (R-NH): 54/35
Chris Murphy (D-CT): 53/27
Thad Cochran (R-MI): 53/28
Deb Fischer (R-NE): 53/30
Lamar Alexander (R-TN): 53/29
Tim Kaine (D-VA): 53/24
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA): 52/32
Bill Nelson (D-FL): 52/24
Mazie Hirono (D-HI): 52/28
Cory Booker (D-NJ): 52/24
Jeff Merkley (D-OR): 52/23
Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI): 52/33
Barbara Boxer (D-CA): 51/32
Cory Gardner (R-CO): 51/27
David Perdue (R-GA): 51/24
Mike Crapo (R-ID): 51/28
Rand Paul (R-KY): 51/35
Ed Markey (D-MA): 51/19
Mike Rounds (R-SD): 51/29
Tom Cotton (R-AR): 50/32
John Isakson (R-GA): 50/23
Dan Coats (R-IN): 50/24
Ben Sasse (R-NE): 50/28
Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND): 50/35
Sherrod Brown (D-OH): 50/27
Tim Scott (R-SC): 50/18
Bob Corker (R-TN): 50/29

John McCain (R-AZ): 49/42
Roy Blunt (R-MO): 49/29
Martin Heinrich (D-NM): 49/24
James Inhofe (R-OK): 49/29
Orrin Hatch (R-UT): 49/41
Joe Donnelly (D-IN): 48/24
Debbie Stabenow (D-MI): 48/34
Claire McCaskill (D-MO): 48/38
Jon Tester (D-MT): 48/40
Dean Heller (R-NV): 48/22
Lindsey Graham (R-SC): 48/33
Mike Lee (R-UT): 48/29
John Boozman (R-AR): 47/25
James Risch (R-ID): 47/26
Joni Ernst (R-IA): 47/32
James Lankford (R-OK): 47/26
Bob Casey (D-PA): 47/27
Michael Bennet (D-CO): 46/26
Brian Schatz (D-HI): 46/33
Roger Wicker (R-MS): 46/25
Pat Toomey (R-PA): 46/28
Marco Rubio (R-FL): 45/41
Harry Reid (D-NV): 45/41
John Cornyn (R-TX): 45/23
David Vitter (R-LA): 44/40
Richard Burr (R-NC): 44/29
Rob Portman (R-OH): 44/24
Dick Durbin (D-IL): 43/36
Ron Johnson (R-WI): 43/32
Tammy Baldwin (D-WI): 43/37
Jeff Flake (R-AZ): 42/35
Bob Menendez (D-NJ): 42/32
Jerry Moran (R-KS): 41/31
Thom Tillis (R-NC): 41/32
Mitch McConnell (R-KY): 40/49
Bill Cassidy (R-LA): 40/31
Mark Kirk (R-IL): 39/33
Gary Peters (D-MI): 38/28

Looking around, I didn't realize that Tammy Baldwin's favorables were that meh (and backed up by other polls too). Insane that Heitkamp has a +15 favorability as a Democrat in North Dakota in 2016.

Wilsongt

Morning Consult looked at the most popular Senators in America last week. I'm going to repost, from most to least popular. Kind of an eye-opening list, especially for 2016 and 2020.

Looking around, I didn't realize that Tammy Baldwin's favorables were that meh (and backed up by other polls too). Insane that Heitkamp has a +15 favorability as a Democrat in North Dakota in 2016.

Susan Collins should just switch to a D at this point.

Franken for Veep! (mostly kidding).

Just goes to show you how people loathe congress, but, more or less, like their congress critter.

You would have done better to argue with me that ISIS originated in Iraq (its original name being ISI, Islamic State in Iraq), and only later expanded to Syria, so McCain might have a point. But this would have required an acknowledgement that ISI (founded in 2006) was a direct result of the disbanding of Saddam's forces under Bush. Syria provided operating space for ISIL between 2011-2014 before they merged with the Iraq side, so I am still left to wonder what you expected a rump force in Iraq to accomplish from across the border; again, stare menacingly and wish that bombs would fall in Syria?
You're missing the important part of the timeline where ISI has little success in Iraq, and finds new purpose across the border in the revolution against Bashar al-Assad. This is where their first great success was, this is where they made serious headway, this is where they started terrorizing the rural part of Syria, this is where they started recruiting (forcefully or voluntarily) huge numbers of people, this is when foreign fighters start flooding across the Turkish border from Europe and through Sinai from Africa to join in the righteous cause of overthrowing Assad and establishing a glorious caliphate, and with this momentum, rebranded themselves as ISIL (L stands for Levant, which includes Syria and Iraq), thus allowing them to go back into Iraq with renewed vigor, support, and purpose.

So, what would a well armed security force in Iraq have done? They would have, you know, saved Iraq. Mosul wouldn't have been taken. Many Yazidis would be alive. Etc.

Your assertion that posters were "gleefully willing to dismiss Obama's failure in terms of securing Syria" is a strawman because no one did this, including John McCain in his statement that this is all Obama's fault because of his incompetence or malfeasance wrt Iraq.
Yes, it was a strawman. I was anticipating such a defense, but it was a strawman. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom