• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Isn't the person in your gif dead? I feel like I watched a movie about them once.

Yes. Venus Xtravaganza. She was found strangled and stuffed under a bed in a hotel room. Only 23 years old. RIP to Fierce Fish.

Juc2phx.gif

Because reading is what?

FUN-DA-MEN-TAL

GUwKkeW.gif

Yes. Venus Xtravaganza. She was found strangled and stuffed under a bed in a hotel room. Only 23 years old. RIP to Fierce Fish.

Juc2phx.gif

FUN-DA-MEN-TAL

GUwKkeW.gif

Oh man :( now I remember the whole story. The whole documentary was a great watch, and she always seemed happy in her interviews before they revealed what happened.

HylianTom

Banned
Btw, don't be so convinced that Kaine is the pick based on those reports.

0706041post1.jpg

Not that he isn't the most likely, but the media has fucked this up before. We won't know for sure until the campaign announces.
Yeah, I'm not buying anything until it's official. Kaine is supposedly in Massachusettts for fundraising on Friday and Saturday according to this article, so he'd have to cancel in advance..

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/po...ay-saturday/cZaEIKSvsvdIH8U70LthVI/story.html

Bowdz

After reading Politico's article of Stavridis, I think he'd be an awesome choice. He is a Florida resident and speaks fluent Spanish apparently in addition to being an all around badass in foreign affairs. Clinton has plenty of attack dogs in the form of Slick Willy, Barry-O, Joey-B, Forma, and El Bernard. Stavridis would help the ticket look like the penultimate adults in the room and could blunt Trump's horseshit military bravado.

Zeke

Tim Kaine, the first executive ticket candidate who speaks fluent Spanish can't excite Hispanics? Clinton's outreach to Moms of the Movement hasn't already pushed the black vote to a near 100% Clinton ticket on the heels of two successive increases in black turnout and polling showing that blacks (carried by black women) is most engaged this cycle?

Clinton already has a massive grassroots system. The grassroots doesn't start and end with young far left progressives. Middle aged union members, social activist groups, etc. are the ones who actually make up the grassroots movement. She doesn't need to engage them, they already are engaged.

Lastly, Clinton isn't trying to prime the pumps for eight years from now. She is a pragmatist and will do everything to stop Trump. We should all be thankful for that. She shouldn't be handicapping herself and giving Trump an inch of additional success.
How is a white guy speaking Spanish supposed to excite us? You really want to excite us get someone from our community up there someone that can really relate our struggles. I find it a bit insulting that just because he speaks Spanish that's good enough to get the Latino vote. It comes off pretty half passed imo.

Owzers

He's brilliant, but he should have been fired 10 years ago. He interrupts everyone, does his show like he's got ADHD on turbo, calls everyone wonderful and amazing, asks people questions then interrupts them and asks another one.

Watch his interview with the weekend update folks last night. Fucking weird and creepy
I kinda like how loopy Chris gets from time to time, especially late into the night.

Vahagn

How is a white guy speaking Spanish supposed to excite us? You really want to excite us get someone from our community up there someone that can really relate our struggles. I find it a bit insulting that just because he speaks Spanish that's good enough to get the Latino vote. It comes off pretty half passed imo.

Bruh, the other candidate is basically advocating for Armenian Genocide levels of mass deportations done to Hispanic people in this country.

What the fuck does the ethnicity of the person matter if you can't get excited about stopping that evil?

Well, I finally donated to Hillary's campaign. She doesn't need the money but it seemed necessary anyway.

I was literally about to post the same thing!

ha ha GMTA.

Never donated to the Presidential nominee before...never felt I needed to do so. But the truth is, should something horrible happen and Trump wins, I can't look myself in the mirror if I didn't do something.

I just think it's funny that last night Ted Cruz was booed out of the building for saying vote your conscience, and tonight Ivanka Trump said that sometimes she votes Democrat and sometime she votes Republican, but the choice is real easy this time because it's her dad running as a Republican

ampere

I'm so proud of you right now!

lmao

Well, I finally donated to Hillary's campaign. She doesn't need the money but it seemed necessary anyway.

I was literally about to post the same thing!

ha ha GMTA.

Never donated to the Presidential nominee before...never felt I needed to do so. But the truth is, should something horrible happen and Trump wins, I can't look myself in the mirror if I didn't do something.

I'm feeling the same way. I bought a shirt already, but I think I need to donate at least $50 or something.

Is buying merch basically a campaign contribution?

royalan

Bruh, the other candidate is basically advocating for Armenian Genocide levels of mass deportations done to Hispanic people in this country.

What the fuck does the ethnicity of the person matter if you can't get excited about stopping that evil?

This is true, but at the same time I don't want Hillary to rely on the "She's Not Trump" vote to sell her campaign. Someone or SOMETHING within her campaign outside of the intern tweeting for her needs to be generating excitement and stirring up the base.

TheCrow

I don't know. Someone willing to learn spanish is a good look and especially when he's speaks it so well. Shit it's probably better than my spanish. It's definitely better than Castro who isn't fluent. Perez would be fine I guess but who knows how he'd do on the campaign trail.

Latinos liked her in 2008 so I'm not sure how much I buy into the narrative that she's really relying on the "she's not trump" vote.

Vahagn

This is true, but at the same time I don't want Hillary to rely on the "She's Not Trump" vote to sell her campaign. Someone or SOMETHING within her campaign outside of the intern tweeting for her needs to be generating excitement and stirring up the base.

She's incredibly competent, she's incredibly qualified, her husband reigned over the greatest stretch of peace and prosperity we've ever seen.

The other guy is a white supremacist neo Nazi.

If someone can't get out to defeat fascism then fuck them, just like fuck all the Germans that sat by and let Hitler happen.

Obama will make that case. My prediction is after Obama's speech next week the party will be excited and rally behind her.

Because on one side you have a cheeto-faced psycho fascist who wants to ban and deport everyone while labeling mexicans and latinos rapist and murders.

No him being able to speak Spanish isn't an automatic "win" to be able to convince people, but it's a pretty big difference to latino voters between Trump who wants nothing to do with the culture, and Kaine who can help communicate to the community directly.

He was the first senator to deliver a speech on the senate floor in a different language when discussing immigration reform.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/06/12/191010737/with-a-speech-in-spanish-tim-kaine-makes-senate-history

Yes he needs to do more than simply speak but he has some of the tools necessary to make people believe he is on their side or sympathizes with them.

royalan

She's incredibly competent, she's incredibly qualified, her husband reigned over the greatest stretch of peace and prosperity we've ever seen.

The other guy is a white supremacist neo Nazi.

If someone can't get out to defeat fascism then fuck them, just like fuck all the Germans that sat by and let Hitler happen.

But that's exactly my point.

Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that a woman who has lived in a governor's mansion and the White House, who headed a campaign for universal healthcare before it was popular and then served as a Senator in one of our country's most populated and diverse states for 8 years, then went on to serve as Secretary of State for 4 years...feels the need to find a VP who checks the serious and experienced boxes?

Would a man with those credentials be expected to choose a serious VP who you could trust to "do the job"?

Hillary's got those boxes checked.

Choose a candidate that excites the base.

Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that a woman who has lived in a governor's mansion and the White House, who headed a campaign for universal healthcare before it was popular and then served as a Senator in one of our country's most populated and diverse states for 8 years, then went on to serve as Secretary of State for 4 years...feels the need to find a VP who checks the serious and experienced boxes?

Would a man with those credentials be expected to choose a serious VP who you could trust to "do the job"?

Yeah, especially considering her opponent has literally zero experience whatsoever, it's ridiculous if there is some sort of pressure to have her pick a guy like Kaine who has done just about everything too

A guy with Hillary experience would probably be pressured into picking someone young/ or base exciting. Like Papa Bush in 88 did (didn't work tho lol) or McCain in 08

Zeke

Because dems can lock up a huge voting bloc for years. Look how much support Bush got from Latino voters. Dems are lucky mittens and trump pretty much blew all that up. Why should I as a Latino continue to be politically active when one party shouts racist bullshit and the other offer lip service? Dems need to not take for granted the support they have right now. This isn't just about this election cycle it's about future elections as well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Amanda Carpenter just made a really good point on CNN, the eldest Trump kids need to no longer be given softball nominee "kid" interviews. They are all basically campaign staffers, and Ivanka was proposing policy tonight that Donald Trump has never even talked about
Preach. They're all in. They need to be held accountable.

Amanda Carpenter just made a really good point on CNN, the eldest Trump kids need to no longer be given softball nominee "kid" interviews. They are all basically campaign staffers, and Ivanka was proposing policy tonight that Donald Trump has never even talked about

Agreed. This isn't People Magazine pieces on Ivanka.

Vahagn

Because dems can lock up a huge voting bloc for years. Look how much support Bush got from Latino voters. Dems are lucky mittens and trump pretty much blew all that up. Why should I as a Latino continue to be politically active when one party shouts racist bullshit and the other offer lip service? Dems need to not take for granted the support they have right now. This isn't just about this election cycle it's about future elections as well.

Liberals can and should always do better.

On the one side you have liberals with great ideals that they don't always live up to.

On the other side you have flat out maniacal evil.

You shouldn't need a Hispanic guy on the ticket to get excited about this election, you really shouldn't.

Also, it's a good thing when Republicans are winning 44% of Hispanics, it means they're not evil. I'd rather Steve Schmidt and Nicole Wallace represent the values of the GOP than Donald Trump and Rush Limbaugh, even if it makes our job as Dems harder. It elevates everyone's game.

But, like, that's not her argument. She literally just wants a person who if, heaven forbid, something happens to her, she can feel comfortable with them taking over the reigns of power. I think she puts a lot of emphasis on foreign policy and stuff like that. It's not about who can really help her win or help her govern. She's got that down. It's, literally, only about taking over if something happens.

pigeon

Banned

Shouldn't you be politically active because racist bullshit is extremely bad and dangerous?

Man, Warren on Colbert. She's really good off the cuff. I've been more and more impressed by her.

VP or not, she needs to be on TV as much as possible and go everywhere. She needs to be on The View and at rallies.

She is a really good at making her case.

I wonder what it would have looked like if she was the nominee.

edit: Colbert basically tried to lead Warren into saying people are sexist pigs and judge Hillary differently than men but instead she turned it positively and said she's treated differently because she keeps getting attacked again and again and keeps getting up and fighting for other people and that she admires any woman that fights back.

What took her so long to get into politics!?

watershed

Banned
Man, Warren on Colbert. She's really good off the cuff. I've been more and more impressed by her.

VP or not, she needs to be on TV as much as possible and go everywhere. She needs to be on The View and at rallies.

edit: Colbert basically tried to lead Warren into saying people are sexist pigs and judge Hillary differently than men but instead she turned it positively and said she's treated differently because she keeps getting attacked again and again and keeps getting up and fighting for other people and that she admires any woman that fights back.

She's definitely gonna stay in the limelight as Trump responder number 1 for the Democrats. Even if she isn't the VP she can be a great ally in the senate and probably wants to strengthen her relationship with Hillary too.

Vahagn

She was doing actual work

I think the person Hillary most needs is someone with the right charisma, energy and personality. Someone who would appeal and get young voters, Sanders fans, etc. to go out and vote. Obama and Sanders were both able to motivate and energize the youth/millenials in ways Hillary hasn't been able to. It'd also serve as a good counterbalance to Trump if we have another big charismatic player in the field. The GOP did a similar strategy by having a young outspoken charismatic woman as the vice president as a way to counter Obama, especially since McCain was rather dry.

mo60

Erdogan is fucking hilarious other than being a vicious dictator:

https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/755848774946320388

Literally no one in the world buys this bullshit, but he's still going for it.

I bet you trump will be good friends with Erdogan if he became the next US president. Erodogan has a timelimit in office anyway. His party will be kicked out of power in the next 5 to 10 years.

Trump's slowly heading towards sub 10% for latino vote share. That is actually kinda hilarious. I don't think he will end up with a latino vote share below 10% but it very's likely he actually gets below 20% of the latino vote.

Anecdotal hopium: Three Bernie-or-Busters I know in real life posted begrudgingly tonight that, due to Trump's speech, they are voting for the fucking queen.

mo60

Also, it's hilarious how trump may do worse than even gerald ford in terms of the share of the latino vote. Gerald Ford got the worst share of the latino vote in the last 40 year with 18% of the latino vote with some of the data I have seen. Trump will probably not even break 20% of the latino vote and maybe even 15% if he's really unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom