• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
VPs don't always give you what you need in a state. Edwards and Paul Ryan didn't help change their states. But, Virginia is already blue-ish so it could push it further.

Hazmat

I've always felt that Kaine would be a great choice, and it's perfectly in line with how Clinton has run her campaign. He's a safe choice, but a solid one. It's also a pick clearly focused on qualifications and credentials than making waves.

Effect

Little disappointed I didn't get my text but oh well. Good pick all things considered. Hope they work with him to be more exciting when addressing crowds.

Boke1879

It makes a lot of sense. I've not commented much...

But among the choices, Kaine was the best choice in case something happens to Hillary.

The only other choice I saw was Perez. As much as I like Warren...what is her foreign policy positions? No way Hillary was going to pick someone who knew so little on foreign policy in this election much like Obama picked Biden (over Kaine) and was looking t experience in this area.

It's a safe pick. It's a good pick. It won't get people super excited but it was probably the right pick for her. I'm fine with it.

I'm with you. Love Warren but some people here seemed to have been treating this like a reality show ironically. We all wanted Warren for her progressive ideals, but lets be real. A lot of us just wanted to see her go IN during the debates.

Her website is updated. Signs and stuff are available.

SGAZHcc.png

Valhelm

contribute something
Hope this works out for the best. Definitely a good, safe pick. I guess the admiral wasn't completely on board.

This could do a lot to sour Clinton's image with younger voters and minorities. I'm really worried Kaine could depress turnout.

Boke1879

This could do a lot to sour Clinton's image with younger voters and minorities. I'm really worried Kaine could depress turnout.

I'm not voting for Kaine, and Clinton seemed to be doing quite well with AA's and Latinos' long before this announcement so I don't see the issue there.

Iolo

Kaine seems like a pretty good guy and a solid pick for VP. It's a shame that the ticket is now two super-awkward, uncharismatic speakers, though.

Teggy

Kaine is very popular with minorities, don't think that will be a problem.

And young people don't vote.
;)

all the talk of boring is a bit disappointing.

This shows hillary doesn't view politics as a show or something to make yourself feel better. It shows she cares about one thing. Governing.

Isn't that why we supported her?

hawk2025

I'm going to play Symphony of the Night today to celebrate the vanquishing of backwards-Dracula from GAF.

And Kaine! Celebrating that too, I think!

Really annoyed about Tim Kaine being announced. Does he really bring more to the table than Perez?

My main problem with Perez was always that he has never really been elected to anything higher than Maryland AG. I prefer generally people who have been vetted by a larger electorate.

I really like Perez, don't get me wrong, but I think Kaine's experience in elected offices is a huge plus.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
95% of the time you want your VP to be innocuous. Boring. Boiler plate. it's a waste of 4/8 years of your life, though it does raise your stock in the world.

I'm just glad Warren wasn't picked so that Martha Coakley won't be embarrassed again.

itschris

New York Times: If Tim Kaine Can Help Clinton in Virginia Even a Bit, It’s a Big Deal

Vice-presidential selections don’t usually make much of a difference to the overall results. But there is pretty clear evidence that they can deliver a bonus in their home state. It’s often modest, but any help at all could be significant to Mrs. Clinton in a state as important as Virginia.

On average, the ticket tends to do about two percentage points better in a vice-president’s home state than it does in the surrounding area.

Over the long run, though, the ticket holds up a bit better in a vice president’s home state. The effect tends to be largest in years without an incumbent and if the candidate held statewide office. It may also be bigger in less populous states — like Alaska or Delaware, where voters may feel more pride about one of their own being selected to the second-highest office in the country.

By these measures, Mr. Kaine would seem to stand a real chance of helping Mrs. Clinton.

He’s a statewide official running when there isn’t an incumbent president on the ballot. Virginia is not an especially small state, but it’s not huge either, and the Commonwealth does have a distinctive sense of identity.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm going to play Symphony of the Night today to celebrate the vanquishing of backwards-Dracula from GAF.

And Kaine! Celebrating that too, I think!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

YAAAS Godcohn

but we basically had VA wrapped up anyway

Should have picked McCrory from NC

Drek

So, I know very little about Kaine. Why is he a good choice?

He:

Has been a successful mayor, governor, and senator.

Is still very popular in Virginia, a borderline swing state that they can push out of the competitive circuit with Kaine.

Speaks fluent Spanish, did a year of missionary charity work in Honduras, has been positioned as pro path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants for a good long time.

Served on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee so he has clear foreign policy experience.

Handed the VT shooting scenario better than just about any other politician has handled a public shooting.

I could go on but he was #2 on Obama's list and since then added a two year stint as the DNC chairman and a three year stint in the Senate.

He's very qualified, he is entirely fine with the #2 job,which a VP needs to be, his replacement will be picked by a Dem Governor so they can start cultivating another young senator from VA, and he isn't a big threat to be a presumptive nominee for 2024, letting the Dem party make a big step left if the climate is right in eight years.

He's the safe pick but also the smart pick.

Valhelm

contribute something
Anyone who says "fuck it" because the VP pick doesn't get their nips hard wasn't going to vote anyway.

Fair enough.

This just feels like a really frightening return to Bill Clinton's anti-poor centrism.

Yes, considering Perez has no executive or legislative experience really.

Right. I'll be honest here, I wanted Perez because of ideology and his labor creds.

Hillary's argument is that we need a steady hand to govern. This guy can govern. He's never lost an election. Ever.

He has a 100% rating with Planned Parenthood and the ACLU.
He's against the death penalty.
He's been a Governor and a Senator. and he won as a Democrat in a state that was only starting to trend Blue.
He's from outside the Obama administration. (Which I actually think is a plus!)

Also, I'm sure her internal polling reinforces this pick. Like, she's not one to just do whatever because OMG LET'S PANIC!

Crayons

Banned
all the talk of boring is a bit disappointing.

This shows hillary doesn't view politics as a show or something to make yourself feel better. It shows she cares about one thing. Governing.

Isn't that why we supported her?

You're right. I just thought Forma would've been a ballsy move that actually paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom