• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

He may be boring but he could definitely catch the eyes of come people with his speech. I know NOTHING about this man aside from what I've read here. I'm interested in hearing the speech he gives.

Hillary's email about this is really good!

Adam --

I'm thrilled to share this news: I've chosen Tim Kaine as my running mate.

Tim is a lifelong fighter for progressive causes and one of the most qualified vice presidential candidates in our nation's history.

But his credentials alone aren't why I asked him to run alongside me.

Like me, Tim grew up in the Midwest. During law school, he too took an unconventional path -- he took time off and went to Honduras to work with missionaries, practicing both his faith and his Spanish.

When he returned to the states and graduated from Harvard Law, he could have done anything. But instead of going to some big corporate firm, he chose to fight housing discrimination as a civil rights lawyer in Richmond. He and his wife joined a church, built a home centered around their faith, and raised three beautiful children. Then, after 17 years of practicing law, Tim ran for city council -- and won.

Tim says his experience on city council taught him everything he knows about politics. To the people in Richmond, an underfunded school wasn't a Democratic or Republican problem. It was simply a problem that needed fixing, and his constituents were counting on him to solve it. So Tim would do it. He'd roll up his sleeves and get the job done, no matter what.

He’s a man of relentless optimism who believes no problem is unsolvable if you're willing to put in the work. That commitment to delivering results has stayed with him throughout his decades-long career as a public servant. So I could give you a laundry list of things he went on to accomplish -- as mayor of Richmond, governor of Virginia, and in the United States Senate.

But this is what’s important: Tim has never taken a job for the glory or the title. He's the same person whether the cameras are on or off. He's sincerely motivated by the belief that you can make a difference in people's lives through public service.

That quality comes through in every interaction. To know Tim is to love him. When I was talking to people about this decision, I couldn't find anyone -- Democrat or Republican -- who had a bad thing to say about him. From his staff over the last 20 years to his colleagues in the Senate, Tim's beloved.

He is a genuinely nice person, but Tim is no one's punching bag. He will fight tooth and nail for American families, and he'll be a dogged fighter in our campaign against Donald Trump and Mike Pence.

Adam, I want you to know that I didn’t make this decision lightly.

I’ve had the privilege of seeing two presidents and two vice presidents up close. I want a vice president who can be my partner in bringing this country together. I want someone who will be able to give me their best advice, look me in the eye, and tell me they disagree with me when they do.

But what matters most is a simple test that’s not so simple to meet: whether the person could step in at a moment’s notice and serve as president.

I have no doubt that Tim can do the job.

I want him by my side on the trail and in the White House.

kadotsu

Banned
Hillary's argument is that we need a steady hand to govern. This guy can govern. He's never lost an election. Ever.

He has a 100% rating with Planned Parenthood and the ACLU.
He's against the death penalty.
He's been a Governor and a Senator. and he won as a Democrat in a state that was only starting to trend Blue.
He's from outside the Obama administration. (Which I actually think is a plus!)

Also, I'm sure her internal polling reinforces this pick. Like, she's not one to just do whatever because OMG LET'S PANIC!

That sounds like a good counter to Pence.

gaugebozo

That's all great, but I really appreciate this part: "I want someone who will be able to give me their best advice, look me in the eye, and tell me they disagree with me when they do."

Tankman

I can see Kaine's appeal in a strategic sense, but as a Warren fanboy I'm disappointed. Especially after seeing her get under Trump''s thin skin.

I guess it popped into my head because of VP stuff, but remember how gross it was that Edwards brought up Cheney's lesbian daughter during the VP debate?

Crocodile

all the talk of boring is a bit disappointing.

This shows hillary doesn't view politics as a show or something to make yourself feel better. It shows she cares about one thing. Governing.

Isn't that why we supported her?

That's why I like her. I didn't know much about Kaine a few weeks ago but everything I've learned about him makes him seem like the right pick.She thinks logically and about governance first before anything else. That's a good thing and is reassuring for the future of the country.

So if VA, FL, and CO continue to drift heavily for the Dems this election, those three alone reach 272 with the rest of the blue safe states (I count PA a blue safe state...screw those online maps).

I guess now that he's been chosen and I've gotten over the fact that he is boring, he really is a great choice. The only downside (outside of personality) is the far left doesn't like him.

Hmm, I wonder if a VP pick improving margins in home state is just because the campaign puts more resources into those states and picks a VP from the state because they view it as important.

No idea if you could do a natural experiment with this to identify the actual VP effect though.

It would be nice also to have had one person of color on the ticket opposing the fourth Reich, butt ehh.

So if VA, FL, and CO continue to drift heavily for the Dems this election, those three alone reach 272 with the rest of the blue safe states (I count PA a blue safe state...screw those online maps).

I think your math might be a little off.

The 2004 states plus CO, VA and FL give us 302. You can get rid of PA and CO and still be at 273.

Drek

I can see Kaine's appeal in a strategic sense, but as a Warren fanboy I'm disappointed. Especially after seeing her get under Trump''s thin skin.

As VP she would need to pull back on the attacks and go with Clinton's campaign narrative of being the mature, responsible group.

It would also diminish her brand and limit her effectiveness politically.

Now she gets to attack him at her will and can campaign for Clinton in ideal states and areas. When/if Clinton does win she would gain substantial power as Clinton likely brings a blue wave in the Senate with a win.

itschris

I know some people were hoping for a more exciting pick (including me at times), but I do agree with these tweets:

Mindy Finn
‏@mindyfinn

Kaine is a smart pick for Clinton. Appeals to the risk averse in a chaotic election. Former Gov, current Sen, from a newish battleground.

Nate Silver
‏@NateSilver538

(quoting the above tweet) Agree with this. Making a "safe" choice became more obvious as Trump has tilted even more toward demagoguery.

He's very experienced, and he can be a good governing partner. It makes her ticket look like the safe choice compared to Trump's chaos.

I think your math might be a little off.

The 2004 states plus CO, VA and FL give us 302. You can get rid of PA and CO and still be at 273.

I'm using the current maps using the "swing states" (270 to win ). It was 272 when I added the three above.

EDIT: Actually somehow made MI a swing state somehow., so it would be 294.

I guess now that he's been chosen and I've gotten over the fact that he is boring, he really is a great choice. The only downside (outside of personality) is the far left doesn't like him.

This is my only worry. But how big is that to win elections?

Especially in FL, VA, and OH (where clinton won!)

I think the bernie and busters never voted and won't. No doubt clinton polled and looked into this.

I think this is less about VA and more about Latinos tbh.

The latino candidates really don't have the experience he does.

Seriously dude can respond to every donald trump event in the native spanish of millions of voters.

This is my only worry. But how big is that to win elections?

Especially in FL, VA, and OH (where clinton won!)

I think the bernie and busters never voted and won't. No doubt clinton polled and looked into this.

Bernie and Warren will also be going in hard with their support, so if their support can't convince them they were never going to be convinced

I think this is less about VA and more about Latinos tbh.

The latino candidates really don't have the experience he does.

Seriously dude can respond to every donald trump event in the native spanish of millions of voters.

Exactly. Perez has labor bonafides but hasn't won an election outside of Maryland AG and doesn't have that much FP experience. Castro ... let's not talk about him, preferably for a long time.

HylianTom

Banned
BOOM.

@kkondik
With Kaine as the VP pick, Crystal Ball moves Virginia Electoral College rating from Leans D to Likely D. Explanation to come

tumblr_nkipn8LREN1rdzuduo1_500.gif

edit: Nate Cohn tweets that he doesn't disagree.

Meh.

That's a good meh. :)

Coulda been better(Perez), coulda been worse(Castro)

I've seen the guy talk enough in speeches and on chat shows to know he's not "boring." Get him on telemundo asap.

Tarydax

Banned
The more I read about Tim Kaine the more I like him, even if he's not the most exciting pick. He's more left than Joe Biden, too, and people used to think Biden was boring. Maybe Kaine will be the same way.

Kaine is a perfectly logical VP pick for a candidate who is chiefly concerned with governing in the most efficient manner possible while yielding predictable results.

Boring is good for Clinton if her choice is about the actual relevance of his role instead of some mythical demographic bump based on optics.

Good pick, Hillary!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still wanted Booker. I thought it was important to have an African American on the ticket. Because it's the right thing to do. But I guess we'll have to settle for making history only once this time.

I still wanted Booker. I thought it was important to have an African American on the ticket. Because it's the right thing to do. But I guess we'll have to settle for making history only once this time.

I wanted Booker too. I actually went from Warren to Booker the more I looked into him.

I'm watching clips of Kaine from 2012 and debating in his Senate race. He's definitely no push over. Given a good speech writer, he'll be fine. He's good at being a loyal guy. That's what Hillary definitely wants.

Painfully safe choice, and I'm sorta disappointed, but whatever, it's not like there's anything wrong with it. It's just boring.

Taking no chances, he probably does the most to shore up edges where Clinton might have leaked votes from the Obama coalition. It risks some future party leadership shuffling for a better chance of a bigger win this year. Even the tiniest bit of help in VA is also important, too, since winning that early in the night all but assures a Clinton win.

No shortage of surrogates free to do pretty much whatever they want, with a gigantic speaking footprint to campaign in multiple places at the same time. This is an underappreciated advantage over Trump.

kirblar

The thing about Kaine that worries me is the bludgeoning Dems have gotten in congressional elections. He was in charge for part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom