• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can guarantee you I know the angle Kaine will be pushing.

In 2012 at the DNC he used the "Tough times don't last, but tough people DO last." That theme is a PERFECT response to Trump's views that OMG EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE.

Because, it's an emptyish platitude to American exceptionalism. It's a direct response to the idea that only Trump can "fix" the problems we have. Instead, it's saying "Look, we're tough. Things can get bad from time to time, but we keep getting up and we keep fighting and we win." It ties into Hillary's narrative too about it not mattering how many times you get knocked down. PLUS, it's not some new narrative for him. He's been using it for years.

Sibylus

Banned
Slept through this announcement (not for reasons of boredom, I feel terrible). He will serve. Warren will keep doing Warren things and I'm not the least bit upset about that. Still wish Hillary would have pushed her advantage on the history front but I'm not really going to bemoan the lost symbolic stunner too much. November and midterms still looming largest in my mind.

It was probably going to be him all along but Bubba endorsing this sealed it. Can't help but feel like he would have no part of a dual female ticket.

kingkitty

I think 2017 will be a heck of a fight to keep the seat, especially if Republicans can grab on to another Obamacare-like boogeyman to scare voters. Hope I'm wrong.

Looking forward to Kaine speaking 97 percent Spanish at the convention.

DrMungo

One trouble is that they haven't been able to pin down a settled narrative about Trump for the superficial voter. Trump is a con man but if the GOP has set up the "criminal" narrative on HRC, that attack loses its charge. I think Jeb! had the right idea as calling him the Chaos Candidate. Run back the Birtherism. Run the Modern Daisy ad. ( praising Putin, critiquing NATO, nuclear weapons). Mainstreaming of KKK. The wall, the Muslim ban. They have to paint him as a Dystopian, V is for Vengeance, Orwellian threat to all us

pigeon

Banned
One trouble is that they haven't been able to pin down a settled narrative about Trump for the superficial voter. Trump is a con man but if the GOP has set up the "criminal" narrative on HRC, that attack loses its charge. I think Jeb! had the right idea as calling him the Chaos Candidate. Run back the Birtherism. Run the Modern Daisy ad. ( praising Putin, critiquing NATO, nuclear weapons). Mainstreaming of KKK. The wall, the Muslim ban. They have to paint him as a Dystopian, V is for Vengeance, Orwellian threat to all us

Yeah, I feel like "terrifying fascist" is a good narrative.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I think Hillary had it right in her first speech: "Donald" is simply unfit. So I think I agree. She's just gone quiet since then!

I also like how this links the Obama and Clinton camps. Kaine was an early Obama supporter, he risked his career to support then-Senator Obama. There have been a lot of reports about how well he clicked with Obama in 08 and their personal relationship. Ultimately Biden was the VP pick in part due to his foreign policy experience. Kaine ran for senate and shored up that weakness in his resume. He's still very close to the president, he's very good at his job, and will be a good VP.

To me he's like the anti-Mark Warner. Warner is just a senator. He seems to hate the job and has never managed to become noteworthy despite an impressive resume as governor. On paper you'd say he should have been a presidential candidate at some point, but he just doesn't have it. Kaine has it. No he's not charismatic, no he's not going to blow Pence away in a debate. But he's whip smart, a great executive, works very well with people, and is loyal.

Boke1879

I think some people, here on twitter etc. Are kinda really paying attention to politics closely for the first time. Warren sticks to a lot of people for various reasons. She's definitely the more exciting choice and I feel that's how people are looking at the position of VP.

I'm seeing people on twitter upset it's not Warren because that would have meant a two woman ticket. I'm seeing people upset about Booker and Perez because "it would have awesome to see a minority VP"

And yes those things are great, but that's not how decisions should be made.

My hope is that once people research him they'll warm up to him. Hopefully the rally tomorrow and the speech he gives help out.

itschris

An early Trump campaign response to Kaine:

nDUmk94.jpg

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/756667313139617792

kirblar

I also like how this links the Obama and Clinton camps. Kaine was an early Obama supporter, he risked his career to support then-Senator Obama. There have been a lot of reports about how well he clicked with Obama in 08 and their personal relationship. Ultimately Biden was the VP pick in part due to his foreign policy experience. Kaine ran for senate and shored up that weakness in his resume. He's still very close to the president, he's very good at his job, and will be a good VP.

To me he's like the anti-Mark Warner. Warner is just a senator. He seems to hate the job and has never managed to become noteworthy despite an impressive resume as governor. On paper you'd say he should have been a presidential candidate at some point, but he just doesn't have it. Kaine has it. No he's not charismatic, no he's not going to blow Pence away in a debate. But he's whip smart, a great executive, works very well with people, and is loyal.
Warner wanted to make a run at Prez and essentially has been froze out of the attempt for over a decade.

Paskil

For all his bluster on Twitter, Trump ain't got no media game. Look at the Hillary oppo out on Pence like 3 seconds after he was announced.

HylianTom

Banned
For all his bluster on Twitter, Trump ain't got no media game.

Yeah, I'm mentally comparing the responses to Pence and to Kaine.

Hillary had a video reel and various graphics ready to go when Pence was announced. Hell, I wonder if she had more material on Pence than Trump did.

Meanwhile.. a text from Trump in response to Kaine? Nothing else? Sad!

So Clinton has a video on hand to give her supporters immediate ammo. Trump instead creates a hypothetical election that he'd lose even worse than this one?

So the Republicans are rallying behind a guy that makes quick decisions but is never prepared. Wonderful choice.

Maengun1

I'm already seeing the oh-so-predictable new bout of "zomg I was just about to vote for $hillary too, and now THIS?" whining from the True Progressives all over the internet. Here we go for attention-whoring round 347...

royalan

It's not that Dems don't have an effective narrative against Trump (I mean, if "He's a conman and a buffoon who screws the little guy" won't work, we might as well just give up now). It's just that we tend to be--for lack of a better way to put it--fucking full of ourselves.

As my mother often says when it comes time to reaching out to people, "sometimes, you just gotta know when to speak stupid."

Plain language sticks. "Down home" talk resonates. Democrats (Hillary) have the perfect attack angles, but we get so caught up in eloquently slandering our opponents that we blunt our own blades before we use them. Republicans don't have this problem, which is why even when they lose their attacks have a tendency to be remembered. Sometimes you have to say enough with the "He's temperamentally and behaviorally unfit and dangerously incoherent and--bla bla bla Hillary gurl half the audience done already tuned you out." Sometimes you need to just say "He can't do the [goddamn] job."

It's why I think Warren's attacks are so effective at getting people's attention and getting under Trump's skin. When she goes off on him, she doesn't sound like the 20 year tenured Harvard Law professor that she is. She sounds like a neighbor, a family member, a real person going the fuck off on a dumbass. That resonates with people (and Trump knows it, which is why it threatens him the most). Obama's also really good at this, bringing out that Southside of Chicago when appropriate.

Hillary can do this (her Breakfast Club interview convinced me of that), but she's too afraid (and for good reason).

Dems have the attack lines, but a lot of our stars lack the plain language which masks the conviction. I wanted to see SOMEBODY bring that kind of energy to the ticket. But, since it seems like we're not going to get that, I hope the DNC is padded with people like Warren and Booker who can do this well and that they're let off their leash. Let them drive home in the simplest way how much of a crook this man is.

Not gonna work at all. Trump is going to get over 300 electoral votes at least. Political analysts these days are like dinosaurs, they can't comprehend the incoming comet, ushering in the next evolution of conservative leadership.

Boke1879

I'm already seeing the oh-so-predictable new bout of "zomg I was just about to vote for $hillary too, and now THIS?" whining from the True Progressives all over the internet. Here we go for attention-whoring round 347...

Honestly it's going to happen all the way up to election night. In which I still think they'll vote Clinton. Bernie, Warren, Michelle, Barack, Biden etc all stumping for Clinton will help.

But that's my issue with some progressives. They at times are their own worst enemy. They were going to vote for Clinton but this VP choice just fucks all that up? Yea right.

Paskil

Not technically, it was simply legal in Virginia. No way around it.

Well, technically legal is still legal. I label it as such because it's scummy as fuck and illegal in most places. I would happily root for a politician to be prosecuted for admitting to such 'gifts' in any other state.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's funny how he doesn't even mention policy. Not even like "kaine is a liberal." It's...he's crooked. He's not even interested in policy at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom