• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itschris

What's the free vacation stuff

The vacation:

Shortly after winning the governorship in 2005, Kaine and his family vacationed on the exclusive West Indies island of Mustique in a house belonging to Charlottesville-area investor James B. Murray Jr. Murray made a fortune investing in cellphones together with Kaine’s Senate predecessor, Mark Warner. Murray invited Kaine to spend a week at his house to relax after the campaign.

“I didn’t consider it a gift: There was no cash, I just let him use a house,” Murray said in an interview with Politico. “There was no quid pro quo. I don’t have any business with him.”

For the purpose of the disclosure, Kaine’s staff determined that $18,000 was the fair market value of a week’s stay. Kaine paid all his own expenses besides lodging.

Also, about half of that total is from this - not much of a scandal:

Most of the gifts came in the form of travel to conferences or campaign events. President Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign gave Kaine $45,000 for airfare and lodging. Kaine’s own leadership committee, Moving Virginia Forward, footed $20,000 of travel expenses. The Democratic Party of Virginia paid almost $11,000.

TheFatOne

Predictable safe pick which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being from Massachusetts I really wanted Warren but understand why she didn't pick her. The game for the Democrats the next couple of months is to make the association that trump = the Republican party. If they can successfully turn the Hispanic vote like they did with black voters they set themselves up for dominance in the next 10 years.

you gotta admit, though, Corrupt Kaine has some pretty good alliteration going for it. That, and Kaine sounds like a cartoon villain. If I had doubts about Hillary, and was waiting for a veep-pick to assuage me, a guy who received over 100k in gifts and who advocates for bank deregulation really does sound like another crooked insider.

Not that any of that is correct. But it's certainly how people feel.

or whatever go queen

itschris

Philly.com: Trump probably can't win Ohio, says state's governor, John Kasich

A "divider" like GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump will have a hard time winning Ohio, an important battleground that could help decide the election in November, said Buckeye State Gov. John Kasich, a former Republican presidential candidate.

"Ohio's a snapshot of the country. People in Ohio want to see a positive agenda, a positive way to move forward," Kasich said Friday in an interview at the Union League of Philadelphia. He attended a fund-raiser for Brian Fitzpatrick, a Bucks County Republican running for an open congressional seat.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
No shit?

He's a Democrat that Trump considered for VP only because he's fucking crazy and wants to put Muslims in camps.

This means nothing IMO. Especially after the Kim Davis stuff

A lot of Republicans like Kaine.

Maybe this is a gambit. Vote for Hilary, impeach Hillary, President Tim Kaine!

Kaine > Trump!

No, they used to like hime.

Now they hate him

So it will be something like this

CPHcjivVAAAqtwG.jpg

dramatis

you gotta admit, though, Corrupt Kaine has some pretty good alliteration going for it. That, and Kaine sounds like a cartoon villain. If I had doubts about Hillary, and was waiting for a veep-pick to assuage me, a guy who received over 100k in gifts and who advocates for bank deregulation really does sound like another crooked insider.

Not that any of that is correct. But it's certainly how people feel.

or whatever go queen
Even "Lame Kaine" is better, man

We can go full Korrupt Kaine maybe, but only if Trump spells it this way

Teggy

Hammer approved!

MC HAMMER‏ @MCHammer
Tim Kaine is an excellent choice !!! Good man. Here with my Brother Raul Fernandez. #ClintonKaine 💯💯💯💯 @Iam360WISE

Teggy

No, Jen, don't do that.

Jennifer Granholm
Jennifer Granholm‏ @JenGranholm

.@timkaine is as decent, honorable, selfless soul as you will ever meet. A man with the heart of a servant, who is "woke". @HillaryClinton

That's the beautiful thing. It'll roar right back up next she speaks.
So I'm repeating but whatever.

Warren generating excitement or enthusiasm or authenticity or whatever nothing subjective noun for Warren does not necessarily benefit Clinton. And could have done the contrary.

Kaine is the right pick.

Sibylus

Banned

Warren generating excitement or enthusiasm or authenticity or whatever nothing subjective noun for Warren does not necessarily benefit Clinton. And could have done the contrary.

Kaine is the right pick.

I don't think Kaine is the wrong pick, to clarify. Just saying "Warrenmania" isn't going anywhere. She'll have her fans regardless of what office she holds.

Boke1879

What is up with Flake? Does the guy have a political death wish or something?

There are other GOP congressman praising Kaine as well. He's definitely the right pick for her. Sure it's safe and boring, but I assume it'll be really hard to attack the guy. I guess the gifts and vacations stuff could make some noise but even then I don't know.

Slacker

Kaine is the right pick.

Yep Warren can still bomb the shit out of Trump from where she is outside the campaign. And I will love it.

The Governor of Virginia's reaction to his defeat in the state's Supreme Court over voting rights for felons:

So he's going to do individual orders for each person, starting with 13,000 and continuing until he gets to all 200,000 of them.

That's awesome. In addition to the inherent morality of this action irrespective of it's practical benefits, I'd have to imagine that the majority of these folks will be Democratic voters. Even 13k is a huge difference in a close election.

Watching Hugh Hewitt have to kiss Trump's ass on a daily basis you can see the pain he's holding back when he's demeaning himself.

What is their end game here, they clearly know he is unfit. Do they think they will be able to control him? Or they will impeach him when he does something wrong and they get Pence?

Boke1879

Watching Hugh Hewitt have to kiss Trump's ass on a daily basis you can see the pain he's holding back when he's demeaning himself.

What is their end game here, they clearly know he is unfit. Do they think he will be controlled? Or they will impeach him when he does something wrong and they get Pence?

I truly think some of them don't think he'll win, but they don't want to upset their base of voters by shitting on him.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just saw the interview with Flynn. Bill did a pretty shitty job.

There are other GOP congressman praising Kaine as well. He's definitely the right pick for her. Sure it's safe and boring, but I assume it'll be really hard to attack the guy. I guess the gifts and vacations stuff could make some noise but even then I don't know.

Not just with the Kaine comments, but in general. The other day he came out on his own on Twitter and told people to knock it off with the "lock her up" chants. It's one thing to denounce such things when a reporter forces you to respond to a question about it, but Flake sent that tweet of his own volition. At worst, you'd think he'd just keep his trap shut.

DrMungo

It's not that Dems don't have an effective narrative against Trump (I mean, if "He's a conman and a buffoon who screws the little guy" won't work, we might as well just give up now). It's just that we tend to be--for lack of a better way to put it--fucking full of ourselves.

As my mother often says when it comes time to reaching out to people, "sometimes, you just gotta know when to speak stupid."

Plain language sticks. "Down home" talk resonates. Democrats (Hillary) have the perfect attack angles, but we get so caught up in eloquently slandering our opponents that we blunt our own blades before we use them. Republicans don't have this problem, which is why even when they lose their attacks have a tendency to be remembered. Sometimes you have to say enough with the "He's temperamentally and behaviorally unfit and dangerously incoherent and--bla bla bla Hillary gurl half the audience done already tuned you out." Sometimes you need to just say "He can't do the [goddamn] job."

It's why I think Warren's attacks are so effective at getting people's attention and getting under Trump's skin. When she goes off on him, she doesn't sound like the 20 year tenured Harvard Law professor that she is. She sounds like a neighbor, a family member, a real person going the fuck off on a dumbass. That resonates with people (and Trump knows it, which is why it threatens him the most). Obama's also really good at this, bringing out that Southside of Chicago when appropriate.

Hillary can do this (her Breakfast Club interview convinced me of that), but she's too afraid (and for good reason).

Dems have the attack lines, but a lot of our stars lack the plain language which masks the conviction. I wanted to see SOMEBODY bring that kind of energy to the ticket. But, since it seems like we're not going to get that, I hope the DNC is padded with people like Warren and Booker who can do this well and that they're let off their leash. Let them drive home in the simplest way how much of a crook this man is.

Not gonna work at all. Trump is going to get over 300 electoral votes at least. Political analysts these days are like dinosaurs, they can't comprehend the incoming comet, ushering in the next evolution of conservative leadership.

Both fair points. My take is that there are still almost 15-20% of people (not me) on Facebook and day to day life who see the "Donald as a con-man" charge as negated by the "Hillary is a criminal " falsehood. There has to be a way to emphasize Donald as a literal existential threat to America if not the world. It has to be communicated what happens After/If we elect the wrong unfit candidate. "One button can end the world, do we trust this crazy guy to keep it safe?"

I'm Filipino, and whenever a foreigner speaks Tagalog, even broken Tagalog, it gets played on Filipino news media like no tomorrow. Some of you are seriously underestimating Kaine's Spanish speaking abilities. It it might seem like pandering but it will get him more exposure just because. Imagine the contrast of angry Trump and then Kaine being played on Spanish speaking TV evening news every damn night. Abuelas will eat it all up.

Boke1879

I'm Filipino, and whenever a foreigner speaks Tagalog, even broken Tagalog, it gets played on Filipino news media like no tomorrow. Some of you are seriously underestimating Kaine's Spanish speaking abilities. It it might seem like pandering but it will get him more exposure just because. Imagine the contrast of angry Trump and then Kaine being played on Spanish speaking TV evening news every damn night. Abuelas will eat it all up.

Yea it's definitely pandering, but I feel he'll use it in his speech. I know he did an interview on Univision that seemed to go pretty well.

Hilarious to see Hannity not understand the Bernie voters by thinking the percentage that will vote Trump would have been won over by Warren.

lol, those voters are political trolls, nothing more.

Have him appear on a telemundo, that will end everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom