• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
The Democratic party has largely moved beyond "I don't like abortion but I support the right to it". And as we know, purity matters a lot this year.

Have they?

Because I keep hearing them talk about JOE BIDEN. Anybody remember his answer on abortion from 2012?

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 36m36 minutes ago
Crooked Hillary Clinton has destroyed jobs and manufacturing in Pennsylvania. Against steelworkers and miners. Husband signed NAFTA.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 26m26 minutes ago
Funny that the Democrats would have their convention in Pennsylvania where her husband and her killed so many jobs. I will bring jobs back!

Guess he's figured his narrative for next week.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The DNC seemed genuinely concerned that the Bernie campaign was a clusterfuck to its core. It at least cemented that it wasn't the DNC that kneecapped them- it was the campaign's own ineptitude.

Exactly. I don't see anything that shows they actually did anything against Bernie or his campaign other than being concerned about him

Diablos

"And you can tell them... to go fuck themselves!"

I get that the ad is meant to paint Trump in a negative light, and show how arrogant he is. It basically does, but it's also funny. You have to admit.

jbug617

Banned
From twitter
CoD4vzfWYAAIwFR.jpg

Some Trump surrogate was just on CNN saying that "Kaine is not a moderate! In fact, he's MORE liberal than Hillary and Obama"

Interesting strategy.

Then there you go. People can yell about whether not not Clinton or Trump are winning in the polls but without actual infrastructure to get people to show up, it's pointless.

Trump relies on his personality and social media presence to drive people to the polls

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, I think we've learned a lot about how maddeningly insane the left can be this election season.... And this beef with Kaine over absolutely nothing is a prime example of that. Are these liberals gonna shit all over Obama/Biden/Clinton and god knows how many Dems too who probably feel the same way about abortion? These purity-first progressives are oftentimes no better than the Ted Cruz's and tea party of the right. And it rubs me the wrong way because there are millions of Catholic/religious Dems who believe the exact same thing. Are you gonna kick all them out too?

And then you have idiots blasting him as some super moderate when they have no idea who/what he's really for or against. Who to believe? His friends/cohorts who all cast him as a good, genuine person/progressive? Or idiots like Michael Moore who shit on everything for no good reason?

Do people know he boycotted the Netanyahu speech and was a early backer of the Iran deal? 100% from Planned Parenthood and a F from the NRA? Is that a super moderate corporate driven Dem? Or just a progressive pragmatist that actually gets things done to shift the state/country leftward in the same vein as Obama/Clinton?

FWIW, I think most rational people have been on board and/or warmed up to the pick after initial trepidation.

Al Giordano also tweeted out some good thoughts about the pick that are well worth the read
https://storify.com/ScottyUrb/al-giordano-welcomes-tim-kaine-vp-pick

The hole in Clinton's platform for the left isn't the support for planned parenthood or gun control.

The problem people on the left have with her is her lacking focus in labor rights, wall street regulations, and income inequality in general. Kaine fills absolutely none of those holes, so of course the people that were already against her are not going to be happy by this pick. It basically closed off any hope that she might mend the gap with democrats that have income inequality as their number one issue.

And people tend to forget that Democrat's number one problem is turnout. They're reminded of it every single election they lose, but proceed to immediately forget about it. One of the only ways Hillary can lose is if the types of demographic turnouts Obama got do not translate over to her. But as usual, all the focus is once again going towards appealing to the swing voter, not exciting the base to turn out.

Armaros

The hole in Clinton's platform for the left isn't the support for planned parenthood or gun control.

The problem people on the left have with her is her lacking focus in labor rights, wall street regulations, and income inequality in general. Kaine fills absolutely none of those holes, so of course the people that were already against her are not going to be happy by this pick. It basically closed off any hope that she might mend the gap with democrats that have income inequality as their number one issue.

And people tend to forget that Democrat's number one problem is turnout. They're reminded of it every single election they lose, but proceed to immediately forget about it. One of the only ways Hillary can lose is if the types of demographic turnouts Obama got do not translate over to her. But as usual, all the focus is once again going towards appealing to the swing voter, not exciting the base to turn out.

The base is women, minorities and older Democrats that reliably vote, not young to middle aged white males that don't care about social issues.

"The left" can go suck an egg.

I'm kind of sick of hearing about what "the left" want. "The left" having their feelings hurt.
"The left" having no one that represents them exclusively and perfectly.

"The left" in question being this exclusive self-defined club, that cares so so so so much about income inequality that they're willing to let a white nationalist nativist buffoon get anywhere near the White House, where he will without question make income inequality worse.

I'm kind of sick of hearing about what "the left" want.

"The left" being this exclusive club self-defined, that cares so much about income inequality that they're willing to let a white nationalist nativist buffoon get anywhere near the White House.

Yep, I'm also sort of sick being kicked out of the whole progressive circle because I think that winning government positions can lead to more progressive policy and not caring about people's feelings. The people that won't vote just fit the conservative stereotype of liberals that don't give a shit about policy and only want to feel good about themselves.

As icky as it is, conservatives know what they want. What they want is mostly disgusting, but they have some clear goals.

Tim Kaine spent twenty years of his life fighting against housing discrimination, something that locks a huge number of minorities out of the mainstream economy. He's done more to fight income inequality than 99.9% of the 'the left.'

Armaros

Tim Kaine spent twenty years of his life fighting against housing discrimination, something that locks a huge number of minorities out of the mainstream economy. He's done more to fight income inequality than 99.9% of the 'the left.'

And did it life long in a very traditionally red state that recently turned blue due to him and other similar Democrats that got into VA office.

I'm kind of sick of hearing about what "the left" want. "The left" having their feelings hurt.
"The left" having no one that represents them exclusively and perfectly.

"The left" in question being this exclusive self-defined club, that cares so so so so much about income inequality that they're willing to let a white nationalist nativist buffoon get anywhere near the White House, where he will without question make income inequality worse.

Frankly, both the left and the right (and any group in between) can go suck an egg. Every party has their sense of entitlement, which is why I don't belong to one.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
And the dude who holds the keys to Ohio's GOP machine. Kasich.

That's one thing the Clinton campaign needs to do in Ohio; run ads of Trump attacking Kasich, like when Trumps aid Kasich stuffs his face.

Also run ads of him attack people who then backed him, like Carson and Christie.

royalan

The difference between Kaine and Pence' VP rallies is already so stark, and they're not even there yet.

Clinton/Kaine - Huge venue covered in enthusiastic supporters on all sides. Well lit, airy, bright colors.

Trump/Pence - Small venue, light on supporters. Dark, foreboding, faces covered in shadow.

Effect

That's one thing the Clinton campaign needs to do in Ohio; run ads of Trump attacking Kasich, like when Trumps aid Kasich stuffs his face.

Also run ads of him attack people who then backed him, like Carson and Christie.

Any chance Kasich while he doesn't do anything positive for Hillary but simply just won't bad mouth her just to make sure Trump has even less of a chance? Maybe that filters down to everyone else in the state?

Nursing a hangover and watching videos of Kaine. He is a much better personality and pick than I was lead to believe. He is well spoken, witty, thoughtful, and principled. I fully support this pick.

Iolo

The difference between Kaine and Pence' VP rallies is already so stark, and they're not even there yet.

Clinton/Kaine - Huge venue covered in enthusiastic supporters on all sides. Well lit, airy, bright colors.

Trump/Pence - Small venue, light on supporters. Dark, foreboding, faces covered in shadow.

What about her emails

Drumpf/Pence - Small venue, light on supporters. Dark, foreboding, faces covered in shadow.

There is more energy at this event than the whole RNC produced over the course of 4 days.

I think Hillary's done the right thing. They're pushing back on the progressive thing. But, also, they've realized the far, far left has been catered to enough during this primary season. They got what they wanted in the platform. If it's nto enough, sorry not sorry.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
there was literally -nobody- on planet earth hillary could have picked to make some of these folks happy. if she picked bernie himself they'd rail against him for selling out.

I mean, it's kind of just a trust factor. Kaine is solidly liberal based on his Senate record, but he was significantly more centrist as a governor.

It's like if a libertarian was moderate on abortion the further away he was from the presidency, but got more extreme on abortion the further into federal government he got. It's kind of "what do they truly believe" issue.

But if NARAL and Planned Parenthood think he'll stay pro-abortion now... I'll be okay with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom