• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Just ditch the bound superdelegates in such a scenario. It goes along with what i've been saying, elected representatives should get a vote. The Supers are, in a way, a compromise from how candidates used to be chosen in the first place.

Right. A big problem with the farther left is that criticism of the hegemon can often slide down to contrarianism.

Like, the Maoist party of Italy supports ISIS because they oppose US imperialism.

I assume that is a quite few of them are. It probably has more to do with them allying with anyone that furthers their goals and disinterest in world affairs, I think. Some left-wing groups oppose the EU, but are connected to the Russian government in a few ways. I doubt a few of them care about what some countries do within or near their borders; I don't believe they have a globalist mindset.

If some country is taking down free press, stripping away rights, censoring the internet, etc. They are not going to make a big deal about it even if it is a big event that is worldwide news.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Perfectly fine with this, I just want Superdelegates to be there as a potential safeguard that we will probably never ever use even if a Trump-like candidate wins the primary. Its just good knowing they are there.

In such a rare scenario, limiting it to elected people gives a check and balance.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hillary got the nom, she don't need superdelegates anymore

I can imagine her behind the scenes at the DNC going "Fuck the superdelegates" as a bunch of them are carted off to prison

NO I wanted more Superdelegates, no more primaries only Superdelegates that will always choose Hillary. Then anyone who wants to be the nominee would have to donate the most money to her.

#allsenatesmatter

Also regarding that Superdelegates vote: howdoesshekeepgettingawaywithit.gif
Barney Frank had a more hard line position that Sanders. And lots of clinton people were wanting to get rid of them.

This keeps the CBC and electeds happy. Fine by me. There's no harm and Bernie people can pretend they got a big win

HylianTom

Banned
Soon we'll be calling Virginia the Chastity Belt.

I hope it's an Everlast.
uYxCLlh.gif

Last night's announcement made me want to rewatch some of 2012's election night. Virginia's polls close pretty early (7PM), and the anchors kept returning to how pivotal it was.

So. Giddy.

Chris Megerian
‏@ChrisMegerian

The amendment has been overwhelmingly approved, and committee members are on their feet applauding and cheering.
That's, umm.. kinda heart-warming, after some of the tension that's been reported. Damn.

Was listening to a wonderful NPR interview about Roger Ailes. Pay close attention to Fox news in the coming year. We might see the end of its overtly partisan brand of broadcasting.

TopDreg

Does the DNC have actual rules stating that its staff members may not express a favorable opinion for one candidate over another? Trying to gain debate talking points here for my annoying FB feed.

Why am I doing this? Ugh.

Edit: Or, more generally, did the DNC actually break any rules with those emails?

HylianTom

Banned
When was Virginia called in 2012? I really just don't want it to go INTO THE NIGHT this year.

It was called late into the night, after the entire race was called.

(edit: looks like it was called right before Romney walked out to concede, right before midnight.)

gaugebozo

Wouldn't Hillary have won outright if the number of superdelegates was downsized in this way?

Was listening to a wonderful NPR interview about Roger Ailes. Pay close attention to Fox news in the coming year. We might see the end of its overtly partisan brand of broadcasting.

Idon'tbelieveyou.gif

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Tim Kaine just wrote the shortest email ever.
Was it entirely emoji?

That's the next frontier for either a fundraising text or a Clinton tweet.

💵✖️💯➡️👸🏼🆒🏁🗽

royalan

Wouldn't Hillary have won outright if the number of superdelegates was downsized in this way?

Yes.

Flipping superdelegates became Sanders argument excuse for staying in the race for nearly the last two months after it became realistically impossible for him to win.

Less supers means that there will be more pressure for losing candidates to drop out once the front-runner pulls ahead.

Does the DNC have actual rules stating that its staff members may not express a favorable opinion for one candidate over another? Trying to gain debate talking points here for my annoying FB feed.

Why am I doing this? Ugh.

Edit: Or, more generally, did the DNC actually break any rules with those emails?

The DNC cannot endorse a particular presidential candidate in a primary. So, the DNC couldn't release a statement that says "Vote for HIllary" or "Vote for Bernie" Now, members of the DNC are welcome to support whomever they want. The chair tends to remain neutral, as do more important members.

But, all of the emails that people are like OMG LOOK AT IT, were never acted upon or whatever.

Diablos

Was it entirely emoji?

💵✖️💯➡️👸🏼🆒🏁🗽
Donate $100 to Hillary because... she's cool and going to win and hold her victory rally on the Statue of Liberty?

TopDreg

The DNC cannot endorse a particular presidential candidate in a primary. So, the DNC couldn't release a statement that says "Vote for HIllary" or "Vote for Bernie" Now, members of the DNC are welcome to support whomever they want. The chair tends to remain neutral, as do more important members.

But, all of the emails that people are like OMG LOOK AT IT, were never acted upon or whatever.

Awesome, thanks! Just wanted to make sure that was the case, amidst the Bernie echo chamber.

Teggy

Was it entirely emoji?

💵✖️💯➡️👸🏼🆒🏁🗽

The title of the email was "hi, I'm Tim"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

It depends, I think there is two possibilities ahead and neither are good:

1- Become the anti-establishment news channel, either because the Republicans fail horribly in the GE, or because the Republicans post-Trump (as a result of a win or a loss) decide to redefine themselves along what made Trump popular.

2- Back to usual.

Whoever takes over has one thing in mind: make more money. And since Murdoch is pretty much the one in charge now, it won't be any different than how his media is run in other countries, which is the same as FOX News.

Y2Kev

I'm actually not convinced anything will come of this. This appoints a commission still chaired by Clintonistas that then has to produce a recommendation to vote four years from now....

I'm actually not convinced anything will come of this. This appoints a commission still chaired by Clintonistas that then has to produce a recommendation to vote four years from now....

And, assuming Hillary wins, 2020 will be a non-competitive primary. No one will primary her. So, we're talking 2024.

At which point Daddy Kaine is going to be the nominee, so who cares.

Gruco

Banned
Random series of hot (lukewarm) takes as I catch up with the last week of events:

1) I thought the Melania/Michelle incident was super interesting, mainly as an illustration of the downsides to having no functional campaign apparatus whatsoever. They pointlessly spent two days failing at getting the message out. And yet....I almost wonder how much it matters. Trump's signaling displays are so overt and central to his campaign it can't be the case that many people who care about politics haven't gotten the message yet. Especially after day 4.

2) Cruz may have landed the first intra-party blow, but I really can't imagine his will be the last. Bush and Romney's silence through all of this is completely conspicuous. Flake is throwing strangely positive vibes towards team CK, and very obviously hates Trump. It's an interesting scenario because a) The dem ticket is pretty technocratic and liked by the senate, b) Republicans currently in office are absolutely terrified of their base, and c) Scalia's empty seat gives people who may be disposed to oppose Trump on principle serious pause. But at the end of the day, Trump is hated by the hawks, too impure for the true believers, and barely tolerated at best by the mainstream. The situation is so fragile, Gary Johnson is just sitting there, and a bad week of polling will probably be enough to inspire scatter the party in panic.

3) Last week was completely surreal on so many levels. I say this thinking that I had already internalized Trump's incompetence and hatred. Melania and Cruz made it a "bad news week" - but the real stories in my mind were:

Trump does not want to do anything while he is president.

Trump's only interest in his party's platform is making Putin happy.

Trump does not believe in honoring NATO commitments

The republican party believes in ignoring law enforcement in order to incarcerate its political opposition.

Any one of these is absolutely horrifying and really pushes the limit of acceptable behavior in US politics. Taken together? Ryan and McConnell have to know they are supporting a candidate, that, were he to take office, they would almost certainly have to impeach within months.

4) Trump's refusal to follow election law is increasingly transparent. I mean, I imagine he just doesn't bother thinking about loser stuff like "rules", but he has been soliciting international funds, coordinating with his SuperPAC, and using corporate funds for campaign activities. I am surprised we haven't seen more stories about the potential consequences of this.

5) I must already be super desensitized to Trump, because even though I heard the hatred in his voice and the scapegoating in the speech, my initial reaction was to think that it was pretty mild, at least by his standards. It's hard for me to keep in mind how many minimally engaged voters there are that probably got that as their fist major exposure to Trump as Trump.

6) Kaine is like a custom-built VP robot from the year 4960. It's actually possible he was sent back in time from the post-Trump dystopia in order to become the ultimate VP candidate and create a better future for all of us. Deep connections with black communities, able to do real work on spanish media, style, demeanor and values that play in the midwest and southern swing states, soft personality to balance out Hills, well recognized policy chops, able to take office on day one, doesn't represent a serious threat of losing a senate seat. I lived in VA while he was gov, and STILL had no idea he was this tier.

7) Seriously Trump is being pushed by Putin and already showing his commitment to giving him everything he wants. I feel like more republicans should be concerned about this.

8) Not actually that worried about #Bernitdown people at the DNC. There are always weirdos but the speakers will be rock solid, which is more than the RNC can say. And whatever other problems I have with Bernie, the dude GETS the seriousness of Trump. Hoping to see him and Warren light 'em up.

9) I wonder if there's any chance to see Ben Cardin retire in 2018 to open a seat for lil' loco...but I guess he would have to fight Edwards for it anyway.

Y2Kev

Why do they call Jeff Weaver Sanders' campaign manager? There's no campaign. He should be called by what he currently is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom