• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

I probably need to take a break from most of the OT threads so that I don't get banned for calling everybody Nazis.

I mean when some of the discourse is "I might vote Trump for the lols" and "but Hillary is dumb and lied and emails" there's not much sense in typing out paragraphs of rebuttals. It's a good effort, but people have to want to debate and not just shitpost

mo60

It's just that there are so many things up in the air right now. 2016 has been such a disaster of a year on so many fronts -- nationally and internationally.

She survived indictment, but not without the FBI investigation taking a considerable toll on her. It was a political indictment for sure.

The DNC email stuff is just bad optics and could possibly get worse. Hillary had enough damage done due to her emails; we don't need ANOTHER negative email story being associated with her and the party at convention time.

National security is potentially coming back in a way we haven't seen since 2004. Perhaps not as strong but that can help Republicans. Not to mention some crazy asshole could go shoot something up and credit ISIS for inspiration a couple weeks before Election Day.

Trump is nuts and really fueling the mood of the anti establishment movement.

Everything just seems so delicate right now politically and socially speaking. Like anything can change the dynamic of this race on a whim.

People within the republican party and outside of it(people that have connections to russia or organizations like wikileaks for example) will be doing anything they can to stop hilary clinton from winning this election. If she and her team show a really positive message and get enough voters to trust them she will win by a significant margin. Nothing these people do will prevent her from winning this election just like the conservatives last year tried throwing anything they could at the liberals to prevent them from winning last year's election in Canada.

Effect

Good thing you weren't politically active during Bush v. Gore.

Same. I wasn't old enough to vote when that happen and only remember some of it personally and have just read about it. Bush/Kerry was the first presidential election I could vote in. While I didn't really follow it as closely as I do things now I never came anywhere close to feeling what I'm feeling now. That changed with McCain and Romney and again them winning didn't terrify me. I was concerned Obama would lose, like that first debate against Romney but that's as far as it went. What Trump could end up doing really does scare the shit out of me.

Relax, people. Have some faith in the campaign that they know what they're doing.

It's outside forces that concern me the most. Yes it's up to the campaign to deal with whatever comes up but still. I'm going to try my best to stay away from things like twitter. Things are out of my control but when I know this shit can end up personally affecting myself and family it gets to me in a strong way.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I still maintain that McCain wouldn't have been a terrible president. He'd have enabled some stuff I really disagree with, but I would put money on him being single term and Clinton taking 2012

Romney was the first time where I started to get really worried and that was more because I had 0 faith in him to stand up to the tea party or the rest of the fringe at that point

Eh, I know I'm not PoliGAF, but while I'm not worried I like working myself up into a frenzy over nothing. It encourages me to get out, discuss and debate with people online, friends, and colleagues. I was very complacent in 08/12.

It's kinda fun. Kinda.

Twitch DNC stream this week is going to be hilarious.

pigeon

Banned
Also, I changed my avatar, but since last time I did this there was a lot of discussion, a brief explanation, though I doubt anybody cares that much!

Originally I chose John Boehner as my avatar (God, so many years ago now) because it was the first funny political picture I saw. But as I continued to observe the (basically thankless and terrible) job he did, I started to develop a lot of respect for him. Boehner had to deal with a more difficult situation than any Speaker of the House for many years, being the leader of a party that was heavily infiltrated by crazy people, and he managed to keep his party relatively sound, pass the necessary legislation to keep the government functioning, and even advance his legislative priorities through two hostile chambers. To be honest, Boehner is the first time I respected a politician whose party I disagreed with, and watching his moves helped me understand how the system finds a way to actually work even when the odds are heavily stacked against it.

Paul Ryan may have been his successor as Speaker, but to be frank, he is by no means his successor as a politician. For somebody talked about as a potential Republican candidate (by me, even), every time he's had a difficult choice to make, he's taken the easy way out. More than any other politician in America, Paul Ryan had the chance to stand up and say "I lead the Republican Party and Donald Trump is not welcome in it." He chose not to do so. We're all dealing with the consequences.

If Paul Ryan is remembered by history at all, it will be as a man who, for purely quotidian political reasons, enabled fascism to come to America.

So now it's Ted Cruz. Cruz is an advocate for basically evil policies and probably a sociopath, as well as not really a nice person to hang out with apparently. But, first, he took a stand against Donald Trump, if for his own reasons, and secondly, he's pretty good at his job.

Diablos

People within the republican party and outside of it(people that have connections to russia or organizations like wikileaks for example) will be doing anything they can to stop hilary clinton from winning this election. If she and her team show a really positive message and get enough voters to trust them she will win by a significant margin. Nothing these people do will prevent her from winning this election just like the conservatives last year tried throwing anything they could at the liberals to prevent them from winning last year's election in Canada.
But these are outside factors we are taking about as Effect said. We have zero control over a new damaging leak or mass shooting, terror attack etc. There's so much crazy shit happening this year and we have a Republican nominee who taps into people's fear and hatred much like Obama tapped into their hopes and dreams. It's scary.

Normally outside factors aren't that big of a deal but so much shit has been happening lately that it's hard to keep up with

Boke1879

Eh, I know I'm not PoliGAF, but while I'm not worried I like working myself up into a frenzy over nothing. It encourages me to get out, discuss and debate with people online, friends, and colleagues. I was very complacent in 08/12.

It's kinda fun. Kinda.

Twitch DNC stream this week is going to be hilarious.

I've echoed this. I'm glad the polls are showing a closer race. Can't have people or the Clinton campaign being complacent. EVERYTHING. Needs to be an effort to register new voters and get everyone out to vote.

jmood88

Relax, people. Have some faith in the campaign that they know what they're doing.
The one thing I do have faith in is them doing stupid shit at the worst possible time. I hope I'm wrong but they've done nothing to convince me that they can't stop falling over themselves to make this closer than it needs to be. This election should be a cakewalk but we have to constantly be on guard for yet another stupid thing to come out.

Now I have friends texting me diablosing about Assange sending Clinton to jail *sigh*

It's amazing though if Clinton made one of the mistakes Trump makes at least 2x a week this campaign would be over.

Boke1879

Now I have friends texting me diablosing about Assange sending Clinton to jail *sigh*

It's amazing though if Clinton made one of the mistakes Trump makes at least 2x a week this campaign would be over.

If Clinton made those NATO comments she'd be done. Hell democrats would have offered her ass up.

The one thing I do have faith in is them doing stupid shit at the worst possible time. I hope I'm wrong but they've done nothing to convince me that they can't stop falling over themselves to make this closer than it needs to be. This election should be a cakewalk but we have to constantly be on guard for yet another stupid thing to come out.

While I'm nervous, I'm sure as hell not nervous about her campaign. They have played this very, very well. The Veep rollout was handled perfectly. Her campaign navigated the primaries nearly flawlessly. The campaign itself has been damn near perfect.

Iolo

https://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/bernie-sanders-private-plane?utm_term=.pg9kpwQG3#.viWY0p2L8

How do you just leave a memo like this behind in a hotel? And even if you do, how does it just happen to wind up in the hands of someone with a connection to buzzfeed?

Interesting how they actually recognized how they were losing leverage and were planning for the concession even before California. As expected, but fascinating to see the difference between internal and external statements.

We have a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

While the american left fucks up plenty, (and dear gods, does it have a track record of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, a la Gore) that is mostly "grass is greener" stuff. See: republicans controlling errything BUT the presidency and getting jack and shit done in any tangible, concrete way. Besides obstructionism, obv, but then, from their pov, dems are the obstructionists.

Thus trump, because those establishment losers like low energy jeb and failed mitt couldn't get shit done.

Diablos

Bernie's learned to like those private flights. I don't blame him.

I refuse to travel commercial like a poor.

I dont travel :(
I'm one of those people who hates planes. Well, I hate taking off. And turbulence makes me feel like I'm going to rip into 20 pieces.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It's just that there are so many things up in the air right now. 2016 has been such a disaster of a year on so many fronts -- nationally and internationally.

She survived indictment, but not without the FBI investigation taking a considerable toll on her. It was a political indictment for sure.

The DNC email stuff is just bad optics and could possibly get worse. Hillary had enough damage done due to her emails; we don't need ANOTHER negative email story being associated with her and the party at convention time.

The far left is hard to please. They get offended easily and these latest emails could really hurt party unity.

National security is potentially coming back in a way we haven't seen since 2004. Perhaps not as strong but that can help Republicans. Not to mention some crazy asshole could go shoot something up and credit ISIS for inspiration a couple weeks before Election Day.

Trump is nuts and really fueling the mood of the anti establishment movement.

Everything just seems so delicate right now politically and socially speaking. Like anything can change the dynamic of this race on a whim.
This is true, what you said. There's still lots of time, for shit to get fucked. I still think that it's pretty much in the bag. I'm still voting for Hillary and trying to convince people to vote her too.
its not going well at all

Edit: just traveled today for the first time on a plane in like seven years and it was cramped as fuck.

watershed

Banned
Every election Hillary Clinton has run in someone somewhere has promised a September Surprise or an October Bombshell that would completely crush her campaign but it's never happened. Funny how the right is so predictable with their empty threats.

Bowdz

Unless Assange has some Foundation emails explicitly linking Hillary Clinton to political favors for donations, there is nothing to worry about. The media will cover any email leaks throughout the weekdays and by the evenings they'll gush about the convention speeches. They'll probably cover the Bernie or Bust protests and play up the disunity angle, but I doubt it'll have much effect. The bottom line is I doubt we'll see Hillary get a massive convention bump and honestly, that's okay.

After the convention, campaigning in swing states will begin in earnest and the dream team we've been waiting for will finally come into play. That'll probably move the swing state polls more than anything else. The debates will seal the deal. As for foreign events, we haven't seen any polls tightening directly because of shootings or terror attacks. Additionally, it is up to team Clinton to make the fundamental argument that Trump is dangerous in these scenarios (and it is an argument they started to make quite effectively on 60 Minutes).

The ultimate failsafe is demographics and turnout, both of which heavily favor Clinton. As long as she keeps her margins high with Hispanics, African Americans, and women, she'll win. Her ground game will be among the best we've seen and if you're still freaked out, volunteer and make it better.

As Plouffe said, this is all white noise. Keep your head down and focus on fundamentals.

Grexeno

Every election Hillary Clinton has run in someone somewhere has promised a September Surprise or an October Bombshell that would completely crush her campaign but it's never happened. Funny how the right is so predictable with their empty threats.
But surely THIS time........

While I'm nervous, I'm sure as hell not nervous about her campaign. They have played this very, very well. The Veep rollout was handled perfectly. Her campaign navigated the primaries nearly flawlessly. The campaign itself has been damn near perfect.

The Clinton campaign was very slow to get ahead of the email issue. If they had been more willing to engage with the media a lot of damage could have been avoided. Being on point, except for when bad things break out, isn't of much value.

The Clinton campaign was very slow to get ahead of the email issue. If they had been more willing to engage with the media a lot of damage could have been avoided. Being on point, except for when bad things break out, isn't of much value.

I mean, I don't really know how much better you can deal with something like that. She admitted, from the very beginning, it was a mistake. She owned it. She never tried to cover it up or argue that it wasn't anything but a mistake. She apologized. They cooperated with the FBI and the investigation.

I'm not sure what else you do in this type of situation.

Diablos

They've been a bit indecisive today. Granted it was a huge shit sandwich just dropped on their doorstep out of nowhere, but they gotta get out ahead of this in a timely fashion.

They've been a bit indecisive today. Granted it was a huge shit sandwich just dropped on their doorstep out of nowhere, but they gotta get out ahead of this in a timely fashion.

From the reporting it sounds as if was a joint thing by team Clinton and Sanders. So it wasn't only her team working in this.

ampere

Also, I changed my avatar, but since last time I did this there was a lot of discussion, a brief explanation, though I doubt anybody cares that much!

Originally I chose John Boehner as my avatar (God, so many years ago now) because it was the first funny political picture I saw. But as I continued to observe the (basically thankless and terrible) job he did, I started to develop a lot of respect for him. Boehner had to deal with a more difficult situation than any Speaker of the House for many years, being the leader of a party that was heavily infiltrated by crazy people, and he managed to keep his party relatively sound, pass the necessary legislation to keep the government functioning, and even advance his legislative priorities through two hostile chambers. To be honest, Boehner is the first time I respected a politician whose party I disagreed with, and watching his moves helped me understand how the system finds a way to actually work even when the odds are heavily stacked against it.

Paul Ryan may have been his successor as Speaker, but to be frank, he is by no means his successor as a politician. For somebody talked about as a potential Republican candidate (by me, even), every time he's had a difficult choice to make, he's taken the easy way out. More than any other politician in America, Paul Ryan had the chance to stand up and say "I lead the Republican Party and Donald Trump is not welcome in it." He chose not to do so. We're all dealing with the consequences.

If Paul Ryan is remembered by history at all, it will be as a man who, for purely quotidian political reasons, enabled fascism to come to America.

So now it's Ted Cruz. Cruz is an advocate for basically evil policies and probably a sociopath, as well as not really a nice person to hang out with apparently. But, first, he took a stand against Donald Trump, if for his own reasons, and secondly, he's pretty good at his job.

But do u really want to look at Cruz's face that often

I mean, I don't really know how much better you can deal with something like that. She admitted, from the very beginning, it was a mistake. She owned it. She never tried to cover it up or argue that it wasn't anything but a mistake. She apologized. They cooperated with the FBI and the investigation.

I'm not sure what else you do in this type of situation.

My main problem is that Clinton is almost never willing to go beyond giving statements and actually engage with the media through interviews or a press conference. It makes her look defensive and guilty. She may be able to beat Trump hiding behind this defensive shell but its clear that this strategy has been very damaging to her popularity.

My main problem is that Clinton is almost never willing to go beyond giving statements and actually engage with the media through interviews or a press conference. It makes her look defensive and guilty. She may be able to beat Trump hiding behind this defensive shell but its clear that this strategy has been very damaging to her popularity.

She did a press conference after it came to light, I think. I vaguely remember Andrea Mitchell asking her about it. I mean, Ig et what you're saying, but her answering questions about it for months wasn't going to help anything. It gives you the chance to say something innocuous that can be taken really, really badly. (ie "What difference does it make?!")

I think it's cruel that Milo Yiannopoulos is hot.

Ugh, this is one where I totally wouldn't. So not my type.

Who is your type, then?

220px-Representative_Brian_Sims_(D-Philadelphia).jpg

(See also Stephen Amell, John Richardson, my bf, Tom Ellis....I can keep going....)

She did a press conference after it came to light, I think. I vaguely remember Andrea Mitchell asking her about it. I mean, Ig et what you're saying, but her answering questions about it for months wasn't going to help anything. It gives you the chance to say something innocuous that can be taken really, really badly. (ie "What difference does it make?!")

If ignoring the issue had worked that would be fine, but it didn't to the point that Clinton is the second most disliked candidate in modern history. Its like if you get acid on your hand. If washing it with water doesn't work and wrapping it up and hoping it stops burning doesn't work you keep trying stuff. Don't just let the acid burn away your entire hand.

If ignoring the issue had worked that would be fine, but it didn't to the point that Clinton is the second most disliked candidate in modern history. Its like if you get acid on your hand. If washing it with water doesn't work and wrapping it up and hoping it stops burning does work you keep trying stuff. Don't just let the acid burn away your entire hand.

You're equating the emails one to one with her approval rating. I don't think we can do that. Her approval ratings have ALWAYS taken a hit while she's running for office. They're slightly lower than at her previously low point, but not by that much. (In 94, she was at 35% approval during the fight for health care).

I think there are a lot of reasons for this, not least of which her gender! The emails didn't help with her ratings, of course, but to pretend that they are the sole rationale is rather simplistic. She's had shit thrown at her for 25 years. She's had Bernie and his campaign throwing shit at her from the left for a year. And, ya, the email thing, sure.

But here's the thing? No number of press conferences is going to make the big of a difference on this issue. What are you going to say new or different? She has spoken clearly on this issue. She did so again on 60 Minutes. Certain things aren't entirely "fixable." You have to ride them out. Prior to the FBI releasing their final decision, it would have been risky to go out there and give too many statements.

I don't believe they just pretended it wasn't an issue. They did what they could with a shit sandwich.

Yeah, Adams into bears. Congressional bears.

You're not wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom