• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Hannity interviewed Trump for DNC analysis!

Ahaha...

WOW...Hannity is accusing the convention as antisemitic and racist? What the fuck....

They gotta say some bullshit to placate their base.

Yall lets just move on and stop worrying about the fringe group of Bernie Supporters who are never going to vote for Clinton. After tonight. That segment is done and really we shouldn't hear their boos anymore for the remainder of this convention.

Lets focus on how good this night was especially after the rocky start.

Nice to see some positivity in this thread again

feels like 7-8 hours ago everyone (including myself) was in emergency panic mode

Here's some good news for you!

House_generic_history.jpg

Dem's back under likely control threshold of the House! :p

VRMN

I mean that seems to be the intent... but like a lot of things... you give them a finger and they'll want the arm. I'm sure this will be misused more and more as we get further and further away from the day it is signed. Just like the Telecommunications act, I think it will centralize power and money even more instead of spreading it.

Also it appears they make plenty of money already across seas... as they are already pushing films for a world market without the TPP.

I won't say that I'm not somewhat concerned about centralized media power, but this really does nothing to affect that increased centralization here at home. Slippery slopes are considered a fallacy for a reason. Just because we give them what's in the TPP doesn't mean we approve something we'd consider an actual encroachment. Now, if you consider what's in TPP past the line by itself, that's fine. But if it's short of the line, or we're already past your line, then for me that's not a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater, as long as I'm using cliches.

The media thing isn't exactly what I'd like, but a big problem with these deals if you don't put similar language in there is that a lot of these nations are sketchy on legal protections, and to facilitate legitimate trade you need to be able to trust that, for example, your inventory kept within those borders isn't going to get seized without good reason.

We as a people have hangups with corporations in the same way we do with lawyers, bankers, etc... Instead of picturing some giant megacorp pulling a giant power-play, remember that there are much smaller, well-staffed, fantastic employers who do in fact take care of their customers and employees, and those companies aren't easily separated from the bad ones.

For the same reasons that I support welfare programs even though some people abuse that system, I support laws that support and sustain good businesses even though bad ones will still benefit.

As to not using this law specifically; trade deals take a really long time to work out. If not now, then we're talking years and years. China would most definitely beat us to the punch in that timeframe. And compromising on some things to get more is how good governance should look in the first place. We are not the obstructionists.

All good points. But what small businesses that are media companies suffer due to piracy over seas?

Also who says China will over take us? Certainly at their current rate but things are slowing in China. http://www.wsj.com/articles/china-economic-growth-slows-to-6-9-on-year-in-2015-1453169398. Certainly they can't keep it up forever.

But our jobs and things are already on the way out and it's not due to China. It's due to the advancement of technology and the eventually automation of tons of jobs.

I won't say that I'm not somewhat concerned about centralized media power, but this really does nothing to effect that increased centralization here at home. Slippery slopes are considered a fallacy for a reason. Just because we give them what's in the TPP doesn't mean we approve something we'd consider an actual encroachment. Now, if you consider what's in TPP past the line by itself, that's fine. But if it's short of the line, or we're already past your line, then for me that's not a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater, as long as I'm using cliches.

I wouldn't say it's a slippery slope as in the past they have always done things to centralize their wealth and power which I linked they took and ran with it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hannity interviewed Trump for DNC analysis!

Ahaha...

WOW...Hannity is accusing the convention as antisemitic and racist? What the fuck....

The new GOP tactic to divert attention away from their blatant racism is now, "No, YOU are the racist ones!"

Seriously.

omg these young voters are so...stupid.

College aged people are so stupid. I was probably once stupid like them and am glad I'm not.

edit: OMG she is complaining that Bernie went last! LAST IS THE BEST SPOT EACH NIGHT YOU MORON!

Only in echo chamber-y states where they can mitigate President Trump. I've met zero Bernie or Bust people at the University of Mississippi; people here know how far this shit can go.

I mean that seems to be the intent... but like a lot of things... you give them a finger and they'll want the arm. I'm sure this will be misused more and more as we get further and further away from the day it is signed. Just like the Telecommunications act, I think it will centralize power and money even more instead of spreading it.

Also it appears they make plenty of money already across seas... as they are already pushing films for a world market without the TPP.

As for that last point, those companies do lose more money overseas than they do domestic. It's why we mention their domestic box office instead of the total one; studios get more of the take on domestic whereas they lose more of it overseas. There's also much less of a secondary market since DVDs and whatnot are popular here while piracy is substantial in some countries.

Edit:
All good points. But what small businesses that are media companies suffer due to piracy over seas?

Also who says China will over take us? Certainly at their current rate but things are slowing in China. http://www.wsj.com/articles/china-economic-growth-slows-to-6-9-on-year-in-2015-1453169398. Certainly they can't keep it up forever.

But our jobs and things are already on the way out and it's not due to China. It's due to the advancement of technology and the eventually automation of tons of jobs.

For the smaller businesses, I was mostly on the topic of businesses suing nations, which isn't really something to talk about for media companies. I wasn't clear.

For China, it's less about overtaking us directly and more about reducing their influence. Economic influence is a huge method of gaining political influence; in a purely competitive lens, we as a nation would rather that as few states as possible would choose China over the US in any choice. Reducing their influence across several metrics is the goal there. I completely agree that China won't be overtaking us outright; I generally think that's a bit of fearmongering.

And yes, the jobs thing (with regard to China taking jobs) is technological. But think of it like this; I'm here in Mississippi and I've got this cactus in my yard. Now, it's been going well for awhile, but it's honestly just not the right climate for it to survive long-term. I do know someone in AZ though who's got a blackberry bush that would be great in this climate. Clearly the better move is to exchange our plants.

The issue for Dems is explaining this to people who really liked my cactus, and turning them in blackberry fans. Dems (for political expedience) will never state outright that some fields are just obsolete, with no clear replacement (this isn't a telgraph -> telephone thing). We need massive programs that will get manufacturing workers the skills to get the new careers that we'll be bringing over after increased trade.

Diablos

I think that was probably as good as you could hope for from Bernie, probably the only realistic improvement would be him getting more specific in terms of calling for his supporters to join him in working for Hillary.
I wish he would have talked more directly to the Bernie or Bust crowd.

Vestal

Honestly, Hillary should be kissing Michelles feet right now. She slayed it tonight and brought the convention back on track.

I wish he would have talked more directly to the Bernie or Bust crowd.

After seeing those interviews on MSNBC I'm honestly not sure there is anything that Bernie could say that would get them to come around. I know it's stereotyping but they all looked very young and this is probably their first major election; they likely came of age during the Obama years and have no real memory of the Bush presidency or the 2000 election or who Ralph Nader was.

Geg

As great as things turned out tonight... I still can't completely relax. Still worried about future wikileaks stuff.

As for that last point, those companies do lose more money overseas than they do domestic. It's why we mention their domestic box office instead of the total one; studios get more of the take on domestic whereas they lose more of it overseas. There's also much less of a secondary market since DVDs and whatnot are popular here while piracy is substantial in some countries.

Fair enough, there is a secondary piracy market.

But losing money over seas on their ticket sales because they didn't negotiate a better percentage than they do in the US? They don't need to be a part of the TPP for that.

Hopfrog

After seeing those interviews on MSNBC I'm honestly not sure there is anything that Bernie could say that would get them to come around. I know it's stereotyping but they all looked very young and this is probably their first major election they've been involved with. They likely came of age during the Obama years and have no real memory of the Bush presidency or the 2000 election or who Ralph Nader was.

"Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,
But to be young was very heaven!"

Hazmat

Michelle Obama was undeniably the star of the night, followed by Booker. Sanders did an important job, but his speeches always leave something to be desired. Great first night for the DNC.

Fair enough, there is a secondary piracy market.

But losing money over seas on their ticket sales because they didn't negotiate a better percentage than they do in the US? They don't need to be a part of the TPP for that.

I have no clue how those revenue losses look, so I can't comment on the need for TPP in these discussions. To my knowledge, it's not strictly a single negotiation that leads to that decrease (i.e. I don't believe they just talk to a distributor and get 35% instead of 40% in such clear terms). But yes, I generally agree that I can't make that argument for straight revenue on the box office.

Boke1879

Good first night. Bernie or Bust people are naive. They have to figure themselves out.

I think for a lot of them. It's their first time paying attention and being in the political process. So I guess I can't blame them for being passionate. We should applaud that honestly.

But they can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. It seems a lot of them idolize the man and not his policies which they fought tooth and nail to get into the dem platform.

Of tonight Booker's "We will rise" and Michelle's "I wake up everyday in house built by slaves" are going to stick for a long time. Definitely the most impact.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Think about it; some have trashed Hillary like she was the devil incarnate, in front of their own friends, families, and colleagues or classmates, and looked at Bernie as a savoir. Turning around isn't possible for many of them, they would actually feel shame to say they will vote for Hillary, like being mocked. They feel like they can't follow him where he is going even if they want to.

It's a sort of religious guilt. Something like feeling betrayed when Jesus praised the son who returned rather than the one who stayed by him all along. Those people will have a lot of trouble accepting that they were mistaken in their convictions; not of supporting Sanders, but of having gone to the deep end in doing so.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Bernie Sanders was barely represented on the stage at 10:30

also known as primetime

I guess it's good she's from Vermont.

Uhhh...

Until Bernie finally came out in primetime.

That. :p

If Michelle's ever held any bad feelings towards her, you would've never known. I think the Obamas truly admire Hillary now.

Some mutual respect and also an understanding that Candidate Clinton and Employee Clinton are two very different people.

As great as things turned out tonight... I still can't completely relax. Still worried about future wikileaks stuff.
I still don't know why tactical it makes sense to release anything like her server emails in October rather than during the primary or convention.

And they'd have to have had it for 3+ years

Could be wrong but these moves look like only Clinton foundation emails are the only scary possibility but I don't think they're bad

Teggy

Mark Murray
23m
Mark Murray‏ @mmurraypolitics
Steve Schmidt on Michelle Obama's speech on @msnbc: "It was a speech for the ages. Perhaps we'll see it at the next Republican convention

Heheheh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom