• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
So, ultimately dealing with the Buster babies crying during the convention seemed like a much better option than the alternative. Because at the RNC they weren't crying over their powerlessness, they were fucking running shit. I know this doesn't need to be a dichotomy or anything, just looking at it half full. But between "powerless fringe making a fuss" and "party captured with all members living in constant fear of insane authoritarian white nationalists", Democrats come out of the night smelling like roses.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That's a nice intergovernmental military alliance you have there, it would be a shame if anything... happened to it.

Valhelm

contribute something
Unrelated, but does anyone else have the horrible feeling that Ted Cruz will be around as a senator for twenty or thirty more years?

After 2016, he's poised to be the last gasp of far-right evangelicals.

Gruco

Banned
That's a nice intergovernmental military alliance you have there, it would be a shame if anything... happened to it.
Too subtle. Try:

NATO thinks that can get our millatary for cheap? Sad! America deserves a better deal! Many say Russia would make much better ally.

I imagine he'll stay in the Senate to tell the truth. Christie is still in-charge of NJ and would appoint his replacement until the special election in November, and really all Booker is missing at this point is some more experience and a nice achievement in the Senate. If he can nail the next 8 years in the Senate he's going to be our guy in 2024.

The guy also has the governor's seat waiting if he wants it. He could be in the middle of a 2nd term as governor by 2024.

I hope the ratings were pretty good. I think the Dems largely came-off really well tonight.
Hopefully. Can't speak for network ratings yet, but on Twitch (where I watched) the peak viewers were around 28k when Donald Trump spoke. Tonight, the peak was when Sanders spoke, where they hit around 45k, with this of course just being the first night compared to the headliner of the other convention. Not sure if that actually will mean anything or not, but it's definitely a very good sign and was nice to see.

sphagnum

Banned
Unrelated, but does anyone else have the horrible feeling that Ted Cruz will be around as a senator for twenty or thirty more years?

Depends on how his constituents view him after his refusal to endorse Trump, I guess. I think he's definitely playing the long game though under the assumption that Trump will fail and he'll be vindicated as a hero who stood up to him.

shem935

Banned

Probably. Not sure he will last that long with still no friends in Washington and probably even less after he sold the rest of them up the river on trumps crazy canoe.

What I'm more interested in now is what the narative looks like for a conservative candidate going forward. I feel like its ripe for more "If only we nominate a true conservative" with all the inter-party stuff breaking against trump through the whole process.

Valhelm

contribute something
Hopefully. Can't speak for network ratings yet, but on Twitch (where I watched) the peak viewers were around 28k when Donald Trump spoke. Tonight, the peak was when Sanders spoke, where they hit around 45k, with this of course just being the first night compared to the headliner of the other convention. Not sure if that actually will mean anything or not, but it's definitely a very good sign and was nice to see.

I think that really only speaks about who's watching Twitch.

pigeon

Banned
There are a a bunch of Vox stories now, including something like four takes on Michelle Obama's speech (not even joking), but one major theme, which I think is going to resonate in the future, is that for the first time in a long time the Democrats are the party of American greatness and family values.

Since Trump's convention was basically just a pile of reactionary hate, the space was wide open for Dems to seize the political high ground, and they did so.

If this holds true it basically wipes the slate clean of GOP reasons to govern. They've lost foreign policy, economy, and competence, but they've always had patriotism and family values. Without those there's really nothing left except personal benefit or racism. They've lost the ability to advance a positive narrative.

Just another brick in the wall that kept Democrats marginalized for forty years, now being built for the Grand Old Party.

royalan

I really like this Symone Sanders girl. She's been very effective these last few days.

I hope Hillary brings her into her campaign, because she really knows how to talk.

I think that really only speaks about who's watching Twitch.
Well, yes. It's not surprising to me that there would be a lot more left-leaning individuals and Sanders supporters on Twitch than Trump supporters (ignoring the chaos that is Twitch chat which may make one think otherwise at first glance). The significant thing there I guess is that Sanders fans definitely tuned in to hear him speak tonight. Whether it resonates or not is a different story, but they definitely seemed to have tuned in to hear it, so hopefully it does.

Valhelm

contribute something
Well, yes. It's not surprising to me that there would be a lot more left-leaning individuals and Sanders supporters on Twitch than Trump supporters. The significant thing there I guess is that Sanders fans definitely tuned in to hear him speak tonight. Whether it resonates or not is a different story, but they definitely seemed to have tuned in to hear it, so hopefully it does.

Every time Bernie says something pro-HIllary, several hundred busters move into her camp. This can only help.

Thankfully the mood in here has improved since this mornings bedwetting.

Like, I'm a bit worried about the roll call but I think the campaigns are going to sort this thing out. (Revoking credentials and whatever else is needed).

I'll be interested to see how Kaine is treated. I'm not full on panic, but I am a bit worried.

Bowdz

I really like this Symone Sanders girl. She's been very effective these last few days.

I hope Hillary brings her into her campaign, because she really knows how to talk.

Yeah, I always found her to be extremely impressive during the primaries. She's a great spokesperson and, as much as love him, much better than Brian Fallon. She should definitely be brought on in some capacity.

Also, it was pretty cool that Michelle's speechwriter tonight was the some one who wrote Clinton's "million cracks" speech in 08.

Chichikov

Australia might have been a little too extreme, but they would definitely be strongly influenced by Chinese policy since all their nearby trade partners would be Finlandized.

I will definitely say that the Philippines would be vulnerable to Chinese control without American protection, and the TPP is a big part of binding it into a network of countries that can get that protection.

Obviously once the network has been created the hope is that they can work together to more or less counterbalance Chinese influence with low American investment.
I don't know man, China don't really give a fuck about what countries do inside their own borders.
Now sure, a relatively small country like the Philippines can negotiate better trade deals if they do it as part of a group, but I think at most what we're looking it here are worse trade deals, which is not great for the Philippines, but hardly anything close to being a Chinese colony. And even then, China can only go so far before trade with them become so economically unfavorable that the trade will slow down (such things can only really work when you have a situation like Russia, which doesn't have a lot of other options a the moment).

p.s.
If anything, trade deals like the TPP influence internal affairs of countries way more than any trade deal China has ever done. You can argue those changes are for the best, and I'm not totally disagreeing, but I think it's a distorted view of reality to say that the west is just want to trade and China is using its economic muscles to affect political change in its trade partners.

Piecake

I don't know man, China don't really give a fuck about what countries do inside their own borders.
Now sure, a relatively small country like the Philippines can negotiate better trade deals if they do it as part of a group, but I think at most what we're looking it here are worse trade deals, which is not great for the Philippines, but hardly anything close to being a Chinese colony. And even then, China can only go so far before trade with them become so economically unfavorable that the trade will slow down (such things can only really work when you have a situation like Russia, which doesn't have a lot of other options a the moment).

p.s.
If anything, trade deals like the TPP influence internal affairs of countries way more than any trade deal China has ever done. You can argue those changes are for the best, and I'm not totally disagreeing, but I think it's a distorted view of reality to say that the west is just want to trade and China is using its economic muscles to affect political change in its trade partners.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/21/how-to-explain-xi-jinpings-mounting-foreign-policy-failures/

I thought this was a pretty good article about how China is trying to throw its muscle around in the international arena, and makes the case that these failures by Xi Jinping have really tarnished a lot of the groundwork of china's 'peaceful rise' before him.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/21/how-to-explain-xi-jinpings-mounting-foreign-policy-failures/

I thought this was a pretty good article about how China is trying to throw its muscle around in the international arena, and makes the case that these failures by Xi Jinping have really tarnished a lot of the groundwork of china's 'peaceful rise' before him.

Kudos to Mr. Obama for taking advantage of the various situations.

One other thing to note, it's concerning that China does not seem to have much influence over N. Korea anymore, or at the very least is not willing to withhold support to change behavior.

Like, obviously no love lost between me and /s4p BUT

Leave it up for the roll call vote at least. Come one. Some of the people there did work hard for the Bernie campaign. I think that's the least they could do.

Link

The Autumn Wind

pigeon

Banned
Like, obviously no love lost between me and /s4p BUT

Leave it up for the roll call vote at least. Come one. Some of the people there did work hard for the Bernie campaign. I think that's the least they could do.

The entire page is just trolling now, apparently the mods are sick of it.

sphagnum

Banned
That lead me to this amazing tweet:

I mean, what alternate universe are these people living in?

This is something I hear constantly on right wing AM radio, the idea that the GOP are utter cowards who kowtow to everything Obama wants, they never criticize him, they never block any of his proposals, they never offer any resistance. If they really wanted to stop Obamacare they'd have done it by now - the fact that it's still around means that the GOP leadership is in cahoots with the Democrats!

Somehow this fairy tale has been drilled into the base's heads despite all evidence to the contrary, which is why they hate their leadership so much.

Imagine being a truly historical figure. Elected President of the United States. Twice. And as a black man, the first ever! Millions and millions of supporters all over the country and the world. You will get your own monuments. You are the most consequential person on a planet of over 7 billion.

Imagine all that. Now imagine going home, looking at your wife, and feeling wholly inadequate.

Michelle is a goddess.

Piecake

Some good history of other times that Russia has tried to subvert the elections of other governments through hacking.

Ever since Russian hackers attempted in May 2014 to corrupt the results of the Ukrainian presidential election, there has been growing concern among western intelligence agencies over the Kremlin’s apparent “gloves off” approach when it comes to political subversion.

Those fears were compounded just one month later in June that year, when tapes of sensitive — and expletive laden — conversations between senior Polish politicians were leaked, sinking the hopes of Radoslaw Sikorski, the hawkish former foreign minister, for a senior EU role.

In January this year, according to the intelligence official, emails hacked from the prime minister of the Czech Republic were released to public embarrassment in an operation that had the fingerprints of Russian agents.

And in May, the head of Germany’s domestic intelligence agency, the BfV, said APT 28 was responsible for a “massive” attack on the German parliament as well as a sustained espionage operation against the CDU — the ruling party of Angela Merkel.

“The really big departure here is that this is a very direct involvement in US domestic politics of a kind that even under the KGB was only ever contemplated on the margins,” says Jonathan Eyal, international director at the think-tank Rusi.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6e0b9a84-5278-11e6-befd-2fc0c26b3c60.html#axzz4FUbgHeNO

pigeon

Banned
Years from now people will start threads saying "Is Barack Obama the best orator of the modern era?"

I will take pleasure in posting in those threads "Barack Obama isn't even the best orator in the Obama family."

This is something I hear constantly on right wing AM radio, the idea that the GOP are utter cowards who kowtow to everything Obama wants, they never criticize him, they never block any of his proposals, they never offer any resistance. If they really wanted to stop Obamacare they'd have done it by now - the fact that it's still around means that the GOP leadership is in cahoots with the Democrats!

Somehow this fairy tale has been drilled into the base's heads despite all evidence to the contrary, which is why they hate their leadership so much.

Eh, both parties think the other side has won massive victories and that their party has capitulated on core issues that have led to the destruction of the country.

Unfortunately, it's kinda true in a 'squint your eyes' kinda way - the GOP didn't kill off the Sexual Revolution and the DNC hasn't brought back the New Deal, so we're going to keep on trading with China and we're going to keep on allow gay people to marry and brown people immigrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom