• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Think about it; some have trashed Hillary like she was the devil incarnate, in front of their own friends, families, and colleagues or classmates, and looked at Bernie as a savoir. Turning around isn't possible for many of them, they would actually feel shame to say they will vote for Hillary, like being mocked. They feel like they can't follow him where he is going even if they want to.

It's a sort of religious guilt. Something like feeling betrayed when Jesus praised the son who returned rather than the one who stayed by him all along. Those people will have a lot of trouble accepting that they were mistaken in their convictions; not of supporting Sanders, but of having gone to the deep end in doing so.

And they'll vote in secret like many did for Bams in 08.

So, my take. It started rough as fuck. I give the whips credit (on both sides) for getting people to mostly stop being rude and gross. But, I would be moving the California delegation if it hasn't already been moved. I would also get someone to fix the freaking microphones. Also, the four or five guys who wouldn't stop need to have their credentials revoked (by Bernie's campaign) and seat alternates.

Obviously, Michelle was amazing. As was the disability rights activist, and the young girl and her mom. (I have a soft spot for kids, so I cried like a baby at that brave girl and her mom!)

I think Warren illustrated one of the reasons she wasn't picked for Veep. I lose interest as she talks. I love Forma, but she's not a presence. (Ironically, Id have said the same thing about Kaine, and I was wrong, so maybe it's an expectations game?)

Booker was amazing. Seriously great. He will go far in the party. If he'd had a few more years in the Senate, he'd have been the perfect Veep choice.

Bernie was....not talking to me, so I don't know how to judge it. It sounded like his Unity speech to me, and obviously he and his supporters are very passionate. Which is fine. So, I guess he did well. Like I said, it wasn't for my benefit, so I don't know how to judge it.

I also think there's a systemic failure on the part of the DNC if we're not educating delegates better. Typically that falls to the campaign, I believe, but we need to be making sure these people are educated on what the should be doing...because that's something we need to be doing for all candidates.

Also cougars are great, right straight guys?

Valhelm

contribute something
So I've been sleeping since noon and I see CNN declaring a "Chaotic First Day".

I know some Bernie stans made a ruckus, but I assume this is just cable news being sensationalist?

TheFatOne

Al Franken had that shit eating grin when Sarah Silverman called out Bernie or Bust supporters. Other than the speeches that was my favorite moment of the night.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I fully expect him to get a position in the (presumed) Clinton Administration. Which sets him up for a 2024 run.

I imagine he'll stay in the Senate to tell the truth. Christie is still in-charge of NJ and would appoint his replacement until the special election in November, and really all Booker is missing at this point is some more experience and a nice achievement in the Senate. If he can nail the next 8 years in the Senate he's going to be our guy in 2024.

Obligatory note that Bernie and now the Democratic Party are wrong on Glass-Steagall and probably wrong on the TPP.

I support TPP as an imperfect way to limit Chinese power in the region, but why are they wrong on Glass-Steagall? That's a legit question that I'd like to read your answer to. Why would limiting the interaction between commercial and investment banks be more bad than good?

EDIT: Shit, nevermind, now I see your response about this to someone else.

Sibylus

Banned
Bernie did well. Thank you for talking about continuing engagement past the election, the dangers of sitting out, SC justices, and midterms.

I know some Bernie stans made a ruckus, but I assume this is just cable news being sensationalist?

There were a bunch of assholes booing every mention of Hillary and trying to start discouraging chants, but it wasn't that chaotic really. They were generally drowned out and by the end of the day it's clear Hillary is the parties pick. Very strong speeches from Michelle Obama and Corey Booker--Elizabeth Warren gets an honorable mention--and some of the lesser characters, can't remember their names but this 8 year old girl gave an amazing speech as did somebody on behalf of those with disabilities.

I imagine he'll stay in the Senate to tell the truth. Christie is still in-charge of NJ and would appoint his replacement until the special election in November, and really all Booker is missing at this point is some more experience and a nice achievement in the Senate. If he can nail the next 8 years in the Senate he's going to be our guy in 2024.

That's also a possibility. Any chance he could run for Gov in 2017 or 2021?

If you watched nothing but the first two hours, this is 100% accurate.

The Bernie or Bust people boo'd every time someone mentioned Hillarys name. They would randomly start chanting Bernie when people were trying to talk. While Elijah Cummings was talking about racism and his father, they started chanting NO TPP.

Then, Marcia Fudge told them to sit the fuck down and show respect. The whips from both campaigns worked together to get them to stop. And it mostly did, except for a few vocal supporters from California. (Made worse by the horrible sound design.)

But, once we hit 8 or so, it was smooth sailing, except for the same few people who wouldn't stop being rude. I doubt they will be on the floor tomorrow.

This is the network that is paying Jeffrey Lord and Corey Lewandowski being the network that is paying Jeffrey Lord and Corey Lewandowski.

pigeon

Banned
I think the anti-TPP question, at a high level, is how do we build a economic/political structure that maintains the US Asia-Pacific sphere of influence without it? I don't think letting the Philippines and Australia, for example, become Chinese colonies is really on the table:

Edit: man without Kristoffer who will make the pro-Chinese colonies case

Bowdz

I think the anti-TPP question, at a high level, is how do we build a economic/political structure that maintains the US Asia-Pacific sphere of influence without it? I don't think letting the Philippines and Australia, for example, become Chinese colonies is really on the table:

ON FUCKING POINT YET AGAIN SON.

Vox has the inside track on he California issue -- apparently Bernie literally had trouble finding delegates with political experience because they were afraid of Hillary. So there are a bunch of protest-culture radicals in his vanguard.

THE DEAD HAND OF VINCE FOSTER STRIKES AGAIN

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/26/12274472/democratic-convention-sanders-clinton-party-unity

Then they need to find part people who will bite the bullet and act as a Bernie delegate. Or whatever. I'm sure they're working on that as we speak.

Valhelm

contribute something
It's her daughter. Who else is supposed to introduce her?

You can slip a relative in, but I don't think it's good for unelected family members to be so prominent. This seems like just a reaction aganst the Trump kids. But I guess her campaign knows what she's doing.

You can slip a relative in, but I don't think it's good for unelected family members to be so prominent. This seems like just a reaction aganst the Trump kids. But I guess her campaign knows what she's doing.

Kinda cross posting, but really?

You don't kinda get the historical significance of a daughter introducing her mother as the first nominee of a major political party?

Chichikov

Australia will become a Chinese colony with the TPP?
Come on, that's ridiculous.

pigeon

Banned
Australia will become a Chinese colony with the TPP?
Come on, that's ridiculous.

Australia might have been a little too extreme, but they would definitely be strongly influenced by Chinese policy since all their nearby trade partners would be Finlandized.

I will definitely say that the Philippines would be vulnerable to Chinese control without American protection, and the TPP is a big part of binding it into a network of countries that can get that protection.

Obviously once the network has been created the hope is that they can work together to more or less counterbalance Chinese influence with low American investment.

Valhelm

contribute something
Kinda cross posting, but really?

You don't kinda get the historical significance of a daughter introducing her mother as the first nominee of a major political party?

You're right here. I shouldn't discount that. I'm mostly just being catty because of Chelsea's career decisions.

Build it up through smaller country by country deals that basically are small tpps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom