• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

Obama, save Hillary from the TPP political nightmare.

Get that shit passed ASAP

If I wasn't in favor of it, I'd almost feel bad about it, but it has to be done in the lame duck. There can be no reason given for Dems to sit at home before the election. Bams needs to be talking to Ryan and McConnell and get it ready to ram through in the weeks after the election.

I'm okay with it even if it's hardly perfect, because the goal is reducing Chinese influence in the region. As Obama said, if we don't help write these rules, China will make worse ones that benefit their continues growth at American expense.

Is there studies that says the TPP would do such a thing? I mean like what would it be like without the TPP?

It's a massive document that I haven't been able to digest... but it seems like it gives too much power to media corporations... and we've already done that time and time again.

Seems pretty bad to give up a lot of things just so we can compete with China.

I am. Chinese interests in the area cannot get stronger and more secure for them, and free trade helps elevate thousands (if not more) out of poverty.

Isolationism is just a weird nostalgia without logic. It's silly for the same reason we all poke fun at "Make America Great Again" since there's no clear time that people can argue it was great before (or that "it" was great but "it" is a fictitious version of the past that no longer exists or ever existed).

Modern nations are never going to be full of giant factories and tons of workers. Automation isn't as bad as people think for a lot of careers, but it's definitely the end for manufacturing. We're actually bringing factories back now for cost reasons, but with only like 1/50th of the employees.

The genie isn't going back in the bottle (nor should it).

I think that's a fair point... I just don't think we have to take THIS deal to get us there.

Grief.exe

1st day of The DNC>>>>>>the whole RNC.

The first day of RNC legitimately scarred me, and I am constantly embroiled in right wing politics for fun.

At the end of the first day of the DNC, you leave feeling literally uplifted. Excellent speeches and ended the night with Bernie bringing the party together.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
I put in over a couple hundred bucks into Bernie's campaign. I encourage my friends to go out into to polls in jersey to vote Bernie (despite getting his ass kicked). Most importantly I gave him my vote. And he does this shit to us fuck this I want my money back I feel like I just got out of a one night stand and never getting a call for seconds.

Girl on MSNBC "If bernie told me something I'd trust him."

Uh, Bernie said she's the best choice. Do you not trust him?

Then she also said Hillary needs to come to her side more...

like, uh...Hillary and Bernie aren't even far apart...

Grief.exe

I put in over a couple hundred bucks into Bernie's campaign. I encourage my friends to go out into to polls in jersey to vote Bernie (despite getting his ass kicked). Most importantly I gave him my vote. And he does this shit to us fuck this I want my money back I feel like I just got out of a one night stand and never getting a call for seconds.

Was that a youtube comment?

He lost cleanly and backed the best candidate remaining. What else was there for him to do? Throw away everything he worked for out of spite?

Effect

Let them say "Green Party" right now. As long as they aren't acting stupid in the convention. There is still time to work on them or to run up turn out in other demographics and it's likely only the hardcore of the hardcore that are thinking this way and being unreasonable.

Tell this black woman that Bernie spent his political career in fucking white ass Vermont and never had to court the black vote. Fucking clown ass shit.

Zona

So why is everyone against it? What are the arguments. Sorry haven't kept up with it

It has some provisions that are probably kinder to corporations then I'd like in an ideal world that people have blown out of proportion. On top of that you get a lot of anti free trade sentiments due to the loss of manufacturing jobs in the U.S. But while free trade agreements have accelerated the loss of those jobs here they where on the way out one way or the other. Those same agreements though have generated large amounts of wealth in the American Economy. Our real issue is with the distribution of that wealth, something that really has little to do with free trade.

Someone else will probably be along to give you a much, much more detailed response at some point.

lol

VRMN

Is there studies that says the TPP would do such a thing? I mean like what would it be like without the TPP?

It's a massive document that I haven't been able to digest... but it seems like it gives too much power to media corporations... and we've already done that time and time again.

Seems pretty bad to give up a lot of things just so we can compete with China. I think that's a fair point... I just don't think we have to take THIS deal to get us there.
Media corporations, for what it's worth, export American culture around the world and do have a stake in these things. They want to be able to crack down on bootleg American films, TV shows, and music in Asian markets that pirate rampantly.

I don't see that as a concern personally, and it's probably misguided, but they do have a seat at the table as one of our largest global industries.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I keep getting emails from Fight For the Future (a digital rights nonprofit) claiming that the Tpp could destroy net neutrality. No idea if that's actually true or fear mongering.

The IP stuff is a little worrying, but a lot of the fearmongering about it seems overblown.

Chuck Schumer is so high on life right now

That man's going to hit up an all night diner when he leaves the building.

Aren't you canadian? If Bernie accepting a campaign contribution from a canadian he would need to return it because that's illegal.

omg these young voters are so...stupid.

College aged people are so stupid. I was probably once stupid like them and am glad I'm not.

edit: OMG she is complaining that Bernie went last! LAST IS THE BEST SPOT EACH NIGHT YOU MORON!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bernie Sanders was barely represented on the stage at 10:30

also known as primetime

I guess it's good she's from Vermont.

sangreal

Bernie Sanders was barely represented on the stage at 10:30

also known as primetime

I guess it's good she's from Vermont.

these people are making my head hurt. good grief

I can't watch MSNBC, what's going on? Do they have a big lineup of Bernie-or-bust people they found somewhere?

yes, the last one was upset that they didn't get to hear Bernie until 10:30 (aka the headliner) and that we need to remember they haven't officially nominated hillary yet

Media corporations, for what it's worth, export American culture around the world and do have a stake in these things. They want to be able to crack down on bootleg American films, movies, and music in Asian markets that pirate rampantly.

I don't see that as a concern personally, and it's probably misguided, but they do have a seat at the table as one of our largest global industries.

I mean that seems to be the intent... but like a lot of things... you give them a finger and they'll want the arm. I'm sure this will be misused more and more as we get further and further away from the day it is signed. Just like the Telecommunications act, I think it will centralize power and money even more instead of spreading it.

Also it appears they make plenty of money already across seas... as they are already pushing films for a world market without the TPP.

Teggy

OMG, I felt so lucky to get a sign or whatever she said.

Can they please interview someone who could vote in the last election?

Seems pretty bad to give up a lot of things just so we can compete with China.

I think that's a fair point... I just don't think we have to take THIS deal to get us there.

The media thing isn't exactly what I'd like, but a big problem with these deals if you don't put similar language in there is that a lot of these nations are sketchy on legal protections, and to facilitate legitimate trade you need to be able to trust that, for example, your inventory kept within those borders isn't going to get seized without good reason.

We as a people have hangups with corporations in the same way we do with lawyers, bankers, etc... Instead of picturing some giant megacorp pulling a giant power-play, remember that there are much smaller, well-staffed, fantastic employers who do in fact take care of their customers and employees, and those companies aren't easily separated from the bad ones.

For the same reasons that I support welfare programs even though some people abuse that system, I support laws that support and sustain good businesses even though bad ones will still benefit.

As to not using this law specifically; trade deals take a really long time to work out. If not now, then we're talking years and years. China would most definitely beat us to the punch in that timeframe. And compromising on some things to get more is how good governance should look in the first place. We are not the obstructionists.

mo60

The first day of the DNC was pretty great besides the booing. It was way better than all of the days of the RNC combined.

pigeon

Banned
clinton is going to oppose it in her speech. Unless it passes purely on GOP votes it's not passing

At this point I'm not sure the TPP is going to happen. It's crazy to me to imagine that it would get dumpstered after all the work that's happened on it but there are so many Democrats against it at this convention.

Best case scenario, it has to wait til Hillary's in office and then they do some edits and Sanders declares it acceptable.

yeah but as you say white nationalism is way worse.

I don't see how either of these while I disagree (I don't know whats bad aboutGlass stegall, just unnecessary) are really gonna change much. Where kinda selling out some poor asian nations for not having a dictator which might blow up those nations

Yeah, I mean, obviously it's fine, I'm just sad that we have allowed our progressive goals to be lost in the service of dumb populism.

Glass-Steagall is probably more unnecessary than bad, but I think that incorrect finreg is often worse than no finreg because of knock-on effects.

I would also probably argue that, with Glass-Steagall, commercial banks have to pay for their deposits with only loans, without the ability to lay off risk. That is probably somewhat more dangerous for them since loans are, you know, risky. That's part of why people wanted to be able to lay off risk in the first place!

This is from 2012:

nyt said:
When I called Ms. Warren and pressed her about whether she thought the financial crisis or JPMorgan’s losses could have been avoided if Glass-Steagall were in place, she conceded: “The answer is probably ‘No’ to both.”

Still, she said that the repeal of the law “had a powerful impact to let the big get bigger.” She also contended that its repeal, brought about by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, “mattered enormously. It is like holding up a sign to regulators to back up....”

In my conversation with Ms. Warren she told me that one of the reasons she’s been pushing reinstating Glass-Steagall — even if it wouldn’t have prevented the financial crisis — is that it is an easy issue for the public to understand and “you can build public attention behind.”

She added that she considers Glass-Steagall more of a symbol of what needs to happen to regulations than the specifics related to the act itself.

So Glass-Steagall is mainly just something you can easily explain to people so that they can care about bank regulation more, even though it itself is mostly irrelevant.

Except we already got Dodd-Frank, which is a huge and very effective bank regulation bill, and now we still have to go back and pass Glass-Steagall even though even Elizabeth Warren thinks it's a waste of time because we told everybody it would somehow matter to get them to help us pass Dodd-Frank!

Congratulations, Elizabeth Warren. THIS IS THE WORLD YOU HAVE MADE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom