• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMungo

So serious question since trump is supposed to start getting security briefings soon is there anything that can be done to temporarily stop those briefings from taking place? Or is it more likely that Obama will just give him bare bone info? Also how does that play with Clinton? Aren't they supposed to get the same information?

Yeah, and Obama should include in his statements "Until we can figure out whats going on"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That series of tweets by David Frum that somebody posted in the other thread is amazing.

Borrowed from other thread:

CoYpnqlXgAAxfVu.jpg

I think this is going to be another "Judge Curiel" moment for Trump. I remember that right after the comments on the judge, Hillary's lead widened a lot.

This is another moment where:

- Every news organization finds the comments reprehensible
- GOP members are forced to condemn what Trump said, even if they refuse to reverse their endorsement
- There is no Hillary news to undermine this coverage, because the DNC hack, while bad news, immediately ties to Trump's comments

I'm expecting Hillary to get back to around a 6-8 point lead in the polls.

I wonder if Paul Ryan is sobbing on his cot in his office right now.

"He's a racist, treasonous buffoon, but he's OUR racist, treasonous buffoon."

If handled properly and with the vigor that the GOP would if this was a Dem making that kind of statement, this should be the end of his fucking campaign.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If handled properly and with the vigor that the GOP would if this was a Dem making that kind of statement, this should be the end of his fucking campaign.

Exactly. If the democrats were anywhere near as skilled as republicans in this area, Hillary would be up 10 points by the end of August.

I think this is going to be another "Judge Curiel" moment for Trump. I remember that right after the comments on the judge, Hillary's lead widened a lot.

This is another moment where:

- Every news organization finds the comments reprehensible
- GOP members are forced to condemn what Trump said, even if they refuse to reverse their endorsement
- There is no Hillary news to undermine this coverage, because the DNC hack, while bad news, immediately ties to Trump's comments

I'm expecting Hillary to get back to around a 6-8 point lead in the polls.

Although I think this will be a bigger deal to many Republicans than the Judge Curiel comments. We all know that Republicans can wave away or minimize racist comments made by a fellow Republican, but this and the NATO comments are extreme national security concerns.

Bowdz

Posted it on the last page: https://twitter.com/MareikeAden/status/758325768900476928

He's also apparently open to lifting sanctions against Russia.

Edit: Hm, tweet got deleted. Let me look around.

Bleh, nm I copied it wrong. Works now.

Holy fucking shit. If Republicans don't at the very least denounce this shit forcefully, they will be unequivocal hypocrites. They shat all over Obama for not storming in to Crimea and battle the Ruskies. Fuck this shit. I'm fucking speechless at how far Trump has gone in fondling Putin's balls:
- Will recognize Crimea as Russian and will lift sanctions
- Invites Russia to hack Clinton's server
- Praises Putin
- Won't criticize Putin when asked about him
- Won't even denounce the act of a foreign government hacking an American political party
- His campaign manager was Yanukovich's Chief of staff and helped multiple oligarchs in Russia
- His finance team has multiple people who have extensive Russian ties
- He has multiple investments in Russia

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK ARE WE DOING PEOPLE?!?!?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Hisnow cast is not as accurate as his polls plus. Nates even tweeted about it. I'm going to see if I can track it down.
Edit: Found it.

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 Jul 25
@fierman: Polls-plus is the most accurate, historically. But the now-cast is fun if you like to panic!

Yep.

Not really, Hillary is still ahead in most polls done recently, but he adds some random +6 Trump house effect to every poll Hillary is ahead on

Random +6 Trump House effect = actually a 2-4 point boost for Trump, and that's because the state polls were done before the RNC as well as the FBI dump in many cases, and the national polls have shown a strong shift towards Trump in that time frame. Ergo; it is logical to assume that polls taken before these events are probably more Dem leaning than the current situation.

Once the DNC happens, you will see a shift back towards Clinton, and once the first set of state polls that are taken in August come out, you'll see that same model that makes no sense start to make sense most likely. But that's the point of the model. Also - this election is way closer than everyone thinks. Even after the expected DNC bump.

remist

I'm really not seeing the treason angle. It's just a poorly thought out joke to try and deflect critisism of his ties to Russia onto Hillary's incompetence with email. Sure it reflects poor judgement, but claiming it was an actual call for Russian spying is an overreach.

thefro

I'm really not seeing the treason angle. It's just a poorly thought out joke to try and deflect critisism of his ties to Russia onto Hillary's incompetence with email. Sure it reflects poor judgement, but claiming it was an actual call for Russian spying is an overreach.

It hurts him even if he says it was just a joke since his conspiracy-theory-believing base would want him to do anything to get those "secret" emails out there.

He'd also have to "back down" on something, which would make him look weak.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you are trying to convince people on the fence I would avoid the word "treason." That's the kind of hyperbole that makes people stop listening to you.

Bowdz

Words have meaning, especially when you're running for president. You don't get to say "lol just kidding guys". Remember when Hillary said, with regards to wiping her server, "what, like with a cloth?" and Republicans hit her for it? It is he same deal hear.

Also, he tweeted the same sentiments after already making the statement.

Technically it's sedition. He doubled down on twitter, he is not joking.

He actually called on Russia to spy on Clinton. He has done it twice.

He said it out loud, likely had time to be reminded by his staff that it was a bad idea to joke about it, tweeted the same thing some time afterward.

Again, I see two explanations: he's being dangerously, willfully malicious at worst, or at best just dangerously stupid. Both of which are a grave risk to have in the Oval Office.

Brinbe

The speech to watch tonight will be Uncle Joe. He will tear into Trump like Kaine/Obama can't and he has a great ability to speak to those rural/suburban PA/rustbelt voters that may be wary of Clinton. Don't sleep on it.

But even IF it was a joke, it's the kind of joke a presidential candidate should never make.

This would be like if Trump "joked" about wanting his rally people assaulting protesters.

Yep.

Random +6 Trump House effect = actually a 2-4 point boost for Trump, and that's because the state polls were done before the RNC as well as the FBI dump in many cases, and the national polls have shown a strong shift towards Trump in that time frame. Ergo; it is logical to assume that polls taken before these events are probably more Dem leaning than the current situation.

Once the DNC happens, you will see a shift back towards Clinton, and once the first set of state polls that are taken in August come out, you'll see that same model that makes no sense start to make sense most likely. But that's the point of the model. Also - this election is way closer than everyone thinks. Even after the expected DNC bump.
I still think there are some issues with his model this year. Look at NC. Trump has a greater than 60% chance of winning the state, even though there hasnt been a poll of him leading the state since May. He is weighting a poll from MARCH more heavily than polls from May and June. It's weird.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yep.

I'm not sure we'd be seeing that Trump boost in the state polls, if there were any, though. Looking at the GA poll from the other day, and it might just be one poll, but it doesn't seem to be affected by the boost Trump's supposedly getting.

Zeke

Can we drop this "it was a joke" bullshit. This isn't joke the is a presidential candidate for a major party asking a foreign government to commit espionage against a political opponent. Enough is enough this shit isn't a joke and it's not funny.

How the hell did this guy get a convention bump? That LATimes poll is such BULLSHIT, it's brand new and using a totally experimental methodology.

I think asking people that question is part of the problem. Some people may be swayed but not want to admit to being swayed (or may not even be conscious of it).

Ohh but it gets worse than that. Cubans are starting to lean more democratic now, but wait theres more. Cubans are 31% of the hispanic population, but Puerto Ricans are now 27%. Puerto Ricans lean dem. The demographics are there for the dems to start to take control of Florida not just in this election, but for years to come.

Good point as well. I know it doesn't quiet feel like that long ago, but it's been 12 years since the GOP won Florida, and the demographics have changed a lot since then. Growing Puerto Rican population should definitely be a factor. Locking down Florida long term would be massive going forward.

Think we should probably spend more money in Florida than any other state. Trump has to pull off a lot of electoral gymnastics to make up for it.

Which is why it was also incredibly smart of Hillary to pick Kaine as VP to help solidify the Virginia. It was a great chess move to take that off the table. the GOP having to work around losing Florida, Virginia and Colorado is an incredibly tough game.

Bowdz

I agree that the Dems should avoid the word treason like the plague when talking about this. The GOP has used it so much with Hillary that it'll instantly turn off voters who think Clinton got off on treason is now just hurling the same insult at her opponent. Even if it fits, it is hyperbolic.

Dangerous ties to Russian, cheerleading Putin, scary admiration for our adversaries are all much safer.

remist

The tweet wasnt calling for hacking just release of the emails. I mean this is clearly a stupid thing to say, no need to exagerate to critisize Trump here.

Plinko

She's likable enough.

Right. Enough for a win.

remist said:
The tweet wasnt calling for hacking just release of the emails. I mean this is clearly a stupid thing to say, no need to exagerate to critisize Trump here.

Paul Manafort, ladies and gentlemen.

Diablos

Yo fam, isn't this treason?

He can't get away with this. He's advocating for a foreign nation to hack the US/expose info from prior hacks.

This makes him look bad but I don't appreciate it eating into our super awesome unified convention coverage.

Fuck the GOP. They are responsible for this shitshow and did not have a care in the world to do anything about it.

Yo fam, isn't this treason?

He can't get away with this. He's advocating for a foreign nation to hack the US/expose info from prior hacks.

This makes him look bad but I don't appreciate it eating into our super awesome unified convention coverage.

Fuck the GOP.
Technically at best it's sedition. But we don't need to throw those words around.

TheFatOne

Good point as well. I know it doesn't quiet feel like that long ago, but it's been 12 years since the GOP won Florida, and the demographics have changed a lot since then. Growing Puerto Rican population should definitely be a factor. Locking down Florida long term would be massive going forward.

Think we should probably spend more money in Florida than any other state. Trump has to pull off a lot of electoral gymnastics to make up for it.

Which is why it was also incredibly smart of Hillary to pick Kaine as VP to help solidify the Virginia. It was a great chess move to take that off the table. the GOP having to work around losing Florida, Virginia and Colorado is an incredibly tough game.

Good news about Florida. Although, I would need to track down these stories, but there were reports a month or two ago that the Clinton camps strategy was to essentially lock Florida down. Kaine is going to be very good in this regard. A Hispanic VP would have been better, but this is almost as good. She is going to park his ass at Univisions head quarters for the next couple of months. They know how important Florida is just not in this election, but in the years to come. I feel like I'm sounding like a broken record, but the game in the next few months is to pin Trump as the Republican party. By that I mean that they need to show that it's not just Trump that is anti Hispanic, but the entire Republican party. It won't be the hardest thing to do either since it's the truth. If they can be successful especially in Florida I don't see how Republicans as they are now ever win another presidency moving forward.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

We're not talking about the tweet, we're talking about what he said in the press conference.

TheFatOne

This is the exact quote from his press conference.
Trump said:
“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Are we exaggerating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom