• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is fair to say that Trump appears to sympathize with Putin, a foreign dictator, more than he does with Hillary Clinton. And now he is publicly asking for that foreign dictator's help to win an election. I agree that to call that treason or sedition is an exaggeration; but in terms of raw feeling, he has crossed a line that is very unusual and disturbing for a presidential candidate, whatever your views.

Anyone who watches that video can understand the context is a joke. He absolutely crosses the line on all kinds of acceptable behavior, but I can malign everything he's done perfectly well without needing to make it into something it's not. It is unbecoming of a candidate for any elected office, let alone the presidency, to even contemplate such a joke. But making such a joke is not the same as treason/sedition and it cheapens our political discourse to treat it as such. This is like the 2000s when people were saying Bush should have been arrested for treason; Bush/Trump did plenty of awful things that we can criticize without having to resort to that.

If people want to make a moral argument that we should fight Trump with any and all means possible, well, go right ahead, that's your prerogative. Personally I don't see that as being necessary or beneficial. The founding fathers predicted people like Trump would exist and designed our political system to intentionally thwart their ability to wreck unconditional havoc; our system is stronger than any one president and would survive a Trump presidency (as many other countries have survived their 'Trump' equivalents).

VRMN

AP Planner ‏@AP_Planner 1h1 hour ago
Tomorrow: Supporters of Bernie Sanders plan to hold a 'fart-in' at the Democratic National Convention to protest the party's primary process

GOOD NEWS!

It's still on.
Even a couple hundred people farting in a large convention hall is going to go generally unnoticed. Not enclosed enough, ceiling is too high.

It's dumb in principle, but it doesn't even make sense if you grant the idea being sensible. The idea is clearly to make people hold their nose as a symbol of their "support," but...that's not how smell works in a large open area.

Iolo

Even a couple hundred people farting in a large convention hall is going to go generally unnoticed. Not enclosed enough, ceiling is too high.

It's dumb in principle, but it doesn't even make sense if you grant the idea being sensible. The idea is clearly to make people hold their nose as a symbol of their "support," but...that's not how smell works in a large open area.

They're not going for the smell. They're going to sit next to the mics.

;)

You're giving these people way, way too much credit.

These are giant children who are throwing a tantrum because their fee-fees got hurt. There is no rationale thought or plan behind this. They're just sad, sad little people.

VRMN

They're not going for the smell. They're going to sit next to the mics.

;)
...and they're announcing this? Those seats will be blocked off like they were yesterday. Dumbasses.

You're giving these people way, way too much credit.

These are giant children who are throwing a tantrum because their fee-fees got hurt. There is no rationale thought or plan behind this. They're just sad, sad little people.
Fair enough. Petulent children will be petulent.

Can those numbers actually get any lower? It seems like he's got 0% support as is.

Retroactive Momentum!

Also, anecdotal anecdote:

My mom has a super good friend who is a Republican. She's not a bigot or a racist or a homophobe. She's religious, and doesn't support abortion. She and my mom are great friends, they just don't discuss politics.

They were talking today when the news about Trump appealing to Russia came on. It was like someone did a 180 on her. First thing she said was Ronald Reagan would be livid. Second thing she said was she was livid because her child was adopted from Russia. Third thing she asked was "Tell me more about Hillary."

And she's now voting for Hillary.

Crocodile

Man I just saw that MSNBC interview with Ben Jealous. The interviewer was trying so hard to get Ben to stay that the Russians hacking the DNC was a good/justified thing because it got DWS fired and he was having none of that. Some MSNBC people are really trying to go in on the "Democrats in Dissary!" narrative. Pretty disappointing :(

Zona

A generic R would probably be solidly ahead of Hillary right now, in 4 years that isn't going to change. Demographics are only insurmountable if you assume that no Democrat could be trailing nationally.

Shimmering Immaculate Republican Candidate Appears Before GOP Officials

700.jpg

Anyone who watches that video can understand the context is a joke. He absolutely crosses the line on all kinds of acceptable behavior, but I can malign everything he's done perfectly well without needing to make it into something it's not. It is unbecoming of a candidate for any elected office, let alone the presidency, to even contemplate such a joke. But making such a joke is not the same as treason/sedition and it cheapens our political discourse to treat it as such. This is like the 2000s when people were saying Bush should have been arrested for treason; Bush/Trump did plenty of awful things that we can criticize without having to resort to that.

I agree, it isn't sedition or treason. But I also agree with Mike Pence and Paul Ryan that Russia shouldn't attempt to influence our elections, something Donald Trump has disagreed with in both his purported joking remarks and again on Twitter. And the reason there is a split that's opened up between the speaker and the VP against the nominee of their party is that it is completely insane for a presidential candidate to ask a foreign dictator to help meddle in an election. People are calling it treason because it is so unprecedented. While it may be technically wrong, it does point to the emotionally shocking nature of what he's said.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Retroactive Momentum!

Also, anecdotal anecdote:

My mom has a super good friend who is a Republican. She's not a bigot or a racist or a homophobe. She's religious, and doesn't support abortion. She and my mom are great friends, they just don't discuss politics.

They were talking today when the news about Trump appealing to Russia came on. It was like someone did a 180 on her. First thing she said was Ronald Reagan would be livid. Second thing she said was she was livid because her child was adopted from Russia. Third thing she asked was "Tell me more about Hillary."

And she's now voting for Hillary.

Your mom's life sounds amazing.

pigeon

Banned
Anyone who watches that video can understand the context is a joke.

I'll say it again, the argument that "it is obviously a joke" simply does not hold water. You need to mount a better argument than "duh" to be convincing here. It did not seem like a joke to me or several major media outlets or the former CIA director.

pigeon

Banned
Sarcastically?

Appreciate this post!

I was definitely in earnest when I said that people who are refusing to vote for Hillary are acting in service of white nationalism. The only reason I'm not saying it more is because I was getting too emotional, not because it wasn't 100% accurate.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason Donald Trump seemingly gets away with essentially every possible political gaffe is because this election has exposed the fact that there are people who will vote for any warm body so long as the correct letter is in the parenthesis next to their name. Given that fact, he has correctly deduced it doesn't actually matter what he says as long as his name is in the news.

Sometimes I feel like Hillary must be ranting and raving in her personal space.

The entire time I'd be thinking (if I was her)

"I am the most experienced, knowledged, person in this race...one of the most accomplished to ever run for President. My opponent is a Clown with a capital C and this is actually a race. Excuse me while I break shit."

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to handle it at the debate. Trump would end up saying something so utterly stupid I'd go off on a rant, I think. Thankfully, Hillary is better than me.

The reason Donald Trump seemingly gets away with essentially every possible political gaffe is because this election has exposed the fact that there are people who will vote for any warm body so long as the correct letter is in the parenthesis next to their name. Given that fact, he has correctly deduced it doesn't actually matter what he says as long as his name is in the news.

Clearly though such people by themselves aren't a large enough group to guarantee a GOP win in November. We'll have a better picture in a few weeks anyways, once the convention bounces wear off where things actually stand.

Pretty much everything about Trump is predictable.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Sometimes I feel like Hillary must be ranting and raving in her personal space.

The entire time I'd be thinking (if I was her)

"I am the most experienced, knowledged, person in this race...one of the most accomplished to ever run for President. My opponent is a Clown with a capital C and this is actually a race. Excuse me while I break shit."

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to handle it at the debate. Trump would end up saying something so utterly stupid I'd go off on a rant, I think. Thankfully, Hillary is better than me.

tell me you saw this: https://medium.com/@shitHRCcantsay/let-me-remind-you-fuckers-who-i-am-e6e8b297fe47#.snocmhxbo

Let Me Remind You Fuckers Who I Am

by Hillary Clinton

What the fuck is your problem, America??

I’m Hillary goddamn Clinton. I’m a political prodigy, have been since I was 16. I have an insane network of powerful friends. I’m willing to spend the next eight years catching shit on all sides, all so I can fix this fucking country for you. And all you little bitches need to do is get off your asses one goddamn day in November.

“Oh but what about your eeeemaaaaillls???” Shut the fuck up. Seriously, shut the fuck up and listen for one fucking second.

Here’s all you need to know about me:

It's so fucking good.

Skatterd

“Her running mate Tim Kaine, who by the way did a terrible job in New Jersey — first act he did in New Jersey was ask for a $4 billion tax increase and he was not very popular in New Jersey and he still isn’t,” Trump told a press conference in Doral, Fla.

You can't make this shit up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Clearly though such people by themselves aren't a large enough group to guarantee a GOP win in November. We'll have a better picture in a few weeks anyways, once the convention bounces wear off where things actually stand.

Pretty much everything about Trump is predictable.

He was losing before and I expect him to still be losing a month from now.

Trump is going to lose but he's going to diablos the absolute fuck out of PoliGAF in the process.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
“Her running mate Tim Kaine, who by the way did a terrible job in New Jersey — first act he did in New Jersey was ask for a $4 billion tax increase and he was not very popular in New Jersey and he still isn’t,” Trump told a press conference in Doral, Fla.

Kaine was governor of Virginia...

ampere

He responded to my good intentioned post with the accusation that I was a concern troll and his post history is filled with sarcastically calling people nazi and white nationalist supporters. He may normaly act in good faith. Just my experience.

If someone supports Trump they are a white nationalist supporter

Do you have a good argument against this? Trump wants to stop immigration and deport people with darker skin tones

Calling for hacking is illegal via 373(a), it's considered physical force.

It seems unlikely that he'd actually be tried for this, but he's pushing the boundaries by engaging in non-protected speech

Did no one think "Hmm...let's fucking delete a bunch of tweets since this guy is going to be the nominee."

Fuck. If I was the nominee, I'd be shredding speeches I wrote in second fucking grade just in case I accidentally pledged allegiance to ISIS or some shit.

Fuck.

Dierce

Orange turd said it before: "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters." This imbecile a fucking disgrace, people wake the fuck up and don't let this menace to the human race win. At this point my only thought about those who will vote for this monster is that they are masochists because even if you are a white person who isn't directly targeted by his rhetoric, that very rhetoric only leads to chaos and pain for everyone because it incites retribution and violence.

Tendo

After this morning 3 central pa friends I have who have never voted will be voting for Hillary. He sure is an inspiring guy.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
My one concern about this, is that it's keeping the email thing in the news.

My concern is it is keeping Trump's tax returns off the news.

In my dreams, Obama will call a halt to the IRS audit of Trump's returns in the interests of democratic transparency. And, checkmate.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It also doesn't help that all these cable news stations always have Trump surrogates on as "analysts" that do nothing but spout talking points and straight up lies without being called out on them. It's awful television and borderline unethical.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

What. Did this really happen?

Angry Grimace

Orange turd said it before: "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters." This imbecile a fucking disgrace, people wake the fuck up and don't let this menace to the human race win. At this point my only thought about those who will vote for this monster is that they are masochists because even if you are a white person who isn't directly targeted by his rhetoric, that very rhetoric only leads to chaos and pain for everyone because it incites retribution and violence.

It doesn't really matter what he says as long as it vaguely reflects what the kind of people who vote for the GOP are thinking.

If there's actually a thing Trump can say that will doom him, its going to be a "47%" video where he doesn't have a meaningful option to double-down on it. Do I think there's going to be a tape of Trump calling Obama an N-word that conveniently leaks in October? Yes, probably. Whether he specifically says that or something equally as offensive, I don't know, but you have to remember this all started with the unfounded and demonstrably incorrect accusation that the President of the United States was an African imposter.

Trump's refusal to publicly distance himself from Vladimir Putin has nothing to do with anything other than keeping his name on the banner headlines.

Wilsongt

Jill Stein showed up at the DNC yesterday. No wonder there were some deviant people.

She must be feeling pretty good. I don't think she has ever gotten this much attention before.

What did she say?

Freddie Gray killed himself, it's all black people's fault, blah blah blah.

Trump's already basically at zero percent with us anyway. At this point, I hear so much racist shit about folks like Freddie Gray that it doesn't even faze me. I'm like, throw another one on the pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom