• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bunch of people trying to make themselves fart is going to result in some people shitting their pants

I've eaten a lot of bean-heavy meals as an adult. Spent an awful large amount of time passing gas because of it. Can't recall ever shitting myself. I think that's a pretty bold prediction for a group of (physically, if not intellectually) grown men and women.

How did a "fart-in" become a thing? That seriously sounds like something out of the wacky world of early 19th century politics where you had the occasional duel and whatnot.

Teggy

I've eaten a lot of bean-heavy meals as an adult. Spent an awful large amount of time passing gas because of it. Can't recall ever shitting myself. I think that's a pretty bold prediction for a group of (physically, if not intellectually) grown men and women.

Did you try to hold the gas in for several hours and then release it a pre-determined time?

TheFatOne

How quickly things changes. For years the GOP has used Russia as the big bad boogeyman, and now their candidate is openly trying to be friendly with them. Soo good.

gcubed

Did you try to hold the gas in for several hours and then release it a pre-determined time?

did you feel the peer pressure of needing to fart at a specific time so you thought pushing was a good idea?

These are things adults think about... remember this key fact. Adults.

mo60

Jake Tapper scaring me that PA might go Trump. Said that the people he met in So. Philly seem to be leaning Trump. Then you have Scranton where Trump is resonating with the folks there.

Trump's going to get destroyed in the Philly suburbs and Philly which is were a lot of the population lives in that state if I recall.

Jake Tapper scaring me that PA might go Trump. Said that the people he met in So. Philly seem to be leaning Trump. Then you have Scranton where Trump is resonating with the folks there.

I find this kind of reporting to be a bit lazy, though I expect that PA will be a relatively close election and I'm glad that Clinton is taking PA seriously. "I spoke to people, it's close!"

I could find you people in Wyoming who voting for Hillary. WHO KNOWS?!

Man, just thinking about the idea of not just Trump winning, but beating a woman (by making sexist comments), replacing a black man (who he said was not born in this country), by getting any portion of hispanic voters (who he will basically make open prejudice okay against), and being helped by a foreign nation (Russia).

That thought alone makes me want to fucking kill myself.

gcubed

I find this kind of reporting to be a bit lazy, though I expect that PA will be a relatively close election and I'm glad that Clinton is taking PA seriously. "I spoke to people, it's close!"

the south philly guys he is talking to are the guys that have signs on their restaurants saying english only.

Basically Trumps bread and butter, but these same people never voted for a democrat anyway.

Boke1879

It's good that they are taking this seriously.

Yup. I'm glad to see that. I think Clinton spoke at VFW just before the first night of the DNC. Then you have her doing this bus tour with her VP. Shows they are serious.

Aside from a town hall has Trump done anything with Pence since the VP announcement?

thcsquad

A random thought I just had on Bernie or Busters:

Ignoring all of the other reasons why their antics are irrational, isn't this going to sour regular people on the movement and Bernie's revolution in general? Like, they need to eventually convince people that their preferred platform is a good idea. And this just makes everyone watching think that the revolution is a bunch of angry, privileged children like Occupy.

Bernie has to be thinking right now that regardless of the direct effect on this particular election, that these antics are hurting his push for progressive change long-term.

Zona

If only you could read all the other posts on the subject I made on the page. Immaculate candidates like Romney and Rubio...

I did read all your posts. I always read every post in this thread, except when I wake up to 80 pages of YASSS, then I skim.

Nah. If you believe this, then figure out how to fix Romney's demographic problem. Because he got record votes from white people and lost by over 100+ EVs. There's your generic R.

Until another Dubya comes along that can chip into minority support, the GOP has a very serious wall to climb. And honestly, such a Republican is going to have it hard since the current GOP is turning Hispanic voters into black voters, and that really sews up the White House.

Basically this. On top of that I also agree with the other posters saying that even if a Generic R could win the GE they can't win the Republican primary.

Man, just thinking about the idea of not just Trump winning, but beating a woman (by making sexist comments), replacing a black man (who he said was not born in this country), by getting any portion of hispanic voters (who he will basically make open prejudice okay against), and being helped by a foreign nation (Russia).

That thought alone makes me want to fucking kill myself.
Get out of my head.

pigeon

Banned
On the tom Kean thing, I have a question that his Wikipedia doesn't clarify. Did Tom Kean pass a four billion dollar tax increase in new Jersey?

Because I can get subconsciously misspeaking the name of the state, especially since trump has a lot of NJ experience and is probably familiar with kean. It sounds like trump is giving an accurate description of Tom Kean and therefore truly believes that he is the vice presidential nominee.

No.

However, the governor of New Jersey immediately AFTER Tom Kean did.

Trump didn't just confuse Tim Kaine with Tom Kean, he also confused Tom Kean with another governor at the same time.

PA has been fools gold for Republicans for god knows how long. I highly doubt it's going to be close. Sure its losing jobs and sees people leaving, but the big population centers will save it.

Ophelion

A random thought I just had on Bernie or Busters:

Ignoring all of the other reasons why their antics are irrational, isn't this going to sour regular people on the movement and Bernie's revolution in general? Like, they need to eventually convince people that their preferred platform is a good idea. And this just makes everyone watching think that the revolution is a bunch of angry, privileged children like Occupy.

Bernie has to be thinking right now that regardless of the direct effect on this particular election, that these antics are hurting his push for progressive change long-term.

You're imagining it from too much of a political dimension. Busters abhor politics. They seem to understand "politics" to be all about the single minded pushing of your own agenda to the exclusion of all else. So, compromise is out, inclusion of other points of view is out. Considering how your preferred actions today might hurt you tomorrow? O-U-T. It's all circle jerk, all the time.

If they were considering any of that stuff, they would be standing with the rest of Bernie's folks already, prepared to do the work.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
looooooooots of people in here getting lost in cross tabs. that's exactly how people kept not believing brexit was going to happen. it's scary but you should believe what the polls say.

looooooooots of people in here getting lost in cross tabs. that's exactly how people kept not believing brexit was going to happen. it's scary but you should believe what the polls say.

I mean, no. Not every poll is created equal. 538 knows this, and most people who deal with polls tell you think as well. If you start unskewing credible polls, then yes, that is problematic. But bad science averaged with better science does not make best science, and when a poll vehemently disagrees with the norm, that's worth pointing out.

And can we please retire any version of "people didn't see Brexit was going to happen"?

: sigh :

This is not the same thing.

If there were ten polls that said "People from Devon support Brexit 77-16"and then one poll comes out saying "People from Devon support Brexit 50-30" intellectual consistency would require that you look skeptically at it! You don't have to unskew or anything like that. But looking at crosstabs is kind of a big deal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

This is interesting. We still have yet to see any actual demographic expectations for Hispanic voters, either. I'm really curious as to actual expectations.

pigeon

Banned
One important thing 538 has consistently been right about is understanding poll bias vs. accuracy. Diablosing about the LA Times poll is silly when it has been significantly more pro-Trump than most other polls since its inception. It has literally only shown Hillary ahead ONCE since 7/10. Compare with all other polls in that period. Don't need to look at the crosstabs for that!

You can read the polls for trend, and average them into the aggregate, but 538 would correct this poll towards the Dems by a decent amount.

This is interesting. We still have yet to see any actual demographic expectations for Hispanic voters, either. I'm really curious as to actual expectations.

Well, all expectations done by Latino polling firms have Trump doing significantly worse than Romney, so probably that.

Also, this is the most useless time in the world to panic about polling. You cannot get a sense of shit in a rainstorm during both conventions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, all expectations done by Latino polling firms have Trump doing significantly worse than Romney, so probably that.

No, not that. How MANY Hispanic voters are scheduled to turnout, and how many new compared to 2012.

No, not that. How MANY Hispanic voters are scheduled to turnout, and how many new compared to 2012.

PH_Election-2016_Chap1-Chart-08.png

Imagine that lower graph keeps going up at the same rate.

Also, this is the most useless time in the world to panic about polling. You cannot get a sense of shit in a rainstorm during both conventions.

Indeed. Polls are measurably not predictive during the conventions. Panic (if it indeed turns out to be needed) should be held for three or four weeks from now if polls still look similar then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom