• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This election really is Leslie Knope vs. Bobby Newport. And just like that election, this one won't result in the absolute best choice winning by 80%.
Fuck me if it ends up as close as that one, though

So they're not adjusting for party identity - it's literally just a bunch of people who watched.

Correct. So, it's not meant to be representative of anyone other than people who watched and that's always going to skew towards the party who watched. So, the RNC is going to draw Republicans, DNC will draw Democrats.

I just had a random two hour later cry fest.

MY QUEEEEENNNNNNN

jiggle

CogNOHhUsAAdM7V.jpg

YAS! Slap me with ur giant ball!

very nice photo

mo60

This election really is Leslie Knope vs. Bobby Newport. And just like that election, this one won't result in the absolute best choice winning by 80%.

I would probably expect a result similar to either 1980,1996 or 2008 in terms of the popular vote in this election.

Correct. So, it's not meant to be representative of anyone other than people who watched and that's always going to skew towards the party who watched. So, the RNC is going to draw Republicans, DNC will draw Democrats.

I just had a random two hour later cry fest.

MY QUEEEEENNNNNNN
I just had myself a little cry too. Thought it would happen during the speech, not an hour or so later.

Ophelion

But Bobby was disarmingly nice. He just happened to be rich, dispassionate, and kind of an idiot.

Leslie Knope was definitely inspired by Hillary though. Both in-universe and in her inception, I imagine.

Joe Scarborough saying there is a political realignment happening right before our eyes.

@JoeNBC

Marine generals, evangelical preachers, Reagan staffers, police officers. The final night of the DNC has been politically vertiginous.

Slacker

Question: Was tonight Hilary Clinton's best speech, or if not, what was her best speech?

EDIT: Also...

CogOoTjUEAA5S_y.jpg

Was this the same person who was incensed that the DNC put Bernie on last when he spoke, when clearly the speeches are delivered in order of importance, so why wasn't Bernie first at 4:00 PM?

Sibylus

Banned
Chinese media outlets are so hard on Chinese-American women that are considered beautiful by American standards, lol.

Chinese media are dumping on Miss Michigan so hard as the context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtvJ7IpwW0c

(And they hate on Zuckerberg's wife all the time too, it's weird).

So much running eyeliner
cm-vi1.gif

... I totally thought Miss Michigan was gonna lock lips at the end there. #thirsty #gaygirltrash

Trouble

Banned
Question: Was tonight Hilary Clinton's best speech, or if not, what was her best speech?

EDIT: Also...

CogOoTjUEAA5S_y.jpg

Hillary Clinton has never apologized for being Hillary Clinton. The gall.

Give it 1 week and PoliGAF will be hyperventilating over something.

For me, getting past the DNC on a positive note without any major disasters or shenanigans is a huge relief. In the end, it all went better than I felt like it was going to at the beginning of this week.

Slacker

Joe Scarborough saying there is a political realignment happening right before our eyes.

The interesting this is I don't feel like the Democratic party is really sliding to the center so much that the "norm" is slowly sliding to the left. They still have a decidedly progressive platform (at least for this country) and it was a pretty progressive speech. I think it's pretty genius to shoot for a "hey look we're the 'normal' party now and they're the radicals" portrayal of the party.

I could never find anything but a poor quality clip, but the Bernie people remind of the scene in the movie The Last King of Scotsman:

Idi Amin I want you to tell me what to do!
Garrigan You want ME to tell YOU what to do?
Amin Yes, you are my advisor. You are the only one I can trust in here. You should have told me not to throw the Asians out, in the first place!
Garrigan I DID!
Amin But you did not persuade me, Nicholas. You did not persuade me!

sphagnum

Banned

Depends on if the GOP keeps putting up Trump types, but it shouldn't really be surprising. The Dems are still a liberal establishment (no meme intended) party after all, and the GOP is just spiraling off into a reactionary crazy party.

Trouble

Banned
California was a mistake. California is a mess.

Ugh. Fuck those people and fuck the campaign staff that sent them there.

I hope they leave the party and go register green or some shit. I don't want them around any more trying to inject their ridiculous purity tests and actively trying to undermine the party from within.

I cannot believe Hillary talked about trade in her speech. I actually gasped. Not because I don't disagree, just because I never thought she'd go that far.

..... Does Joe not realize that there are a lot of religious black people and Hispanics?

Yes, I think a lot of religious people will speak out against a white nationalist since a lot of religious people will probably be targeted by said white nationalist.

White evangelicals are backing Trump at a higher rate than they've backed any candidate in American history.

Maengun1

Eh, I loathe them but I think in a way they'll be a net benefit because they confirmed the stuff everyone thought about them. And they managed to piss off some Bernie supporters too.

Yep, I'm seeing this as well. Only one of my friends (more of an acquaintance really...) was fervently Bernie-or-Bust and I haven't spoken with him since the convention started, but 90% of my friends were HUGE Bernie supporters who had a varying range of opinions on Hillary, and knowing I've been supporting her all along they were all texting me this week like "damn these people really are crazy O_O"

Checkmate y'all

OgwboCH.gif

Donna ain't going anywhere. Also, I agree 100%.

She said she will see our DWS remaining term but doesn't want to be chair IIRC.

Also would be a good break from the previous hierarchy. Install someone new. Especially if HC wins, the backbone of her primary wins in South were also black women.

Also, idk if this is gendered or not

But Hillary looked stunning tonight. That suit was fabulous. It was beautiful. Her hair was on point, and she just looked amazing.

I'm exhausted, so I didn't earlier realize that the the Drunk CNN panel has been 100% void of Republican for well over an hour. Are ALL of them that demoralized and depressed that not a single one wanted to go on TV to rant and promote themselves? Good lord. Especially considering they've painfully, painfully kept balanced panels the past few weeks even if it meant lowering the quality of the discussion at times, it's quite fascinating.

Democrats have so many good orators, people with charisma and celebrity appeal that it's cheating. This year even more clear than norm. The RNC lineup was godawful, but, really, who could they have put on that would have made it any better?

Oh well. Will wait for the ratings tomorrow and then come back for some polls after the Olympics when we get settled.
There's no way I'll be able to stay away, since Trump will do desperate shit to get attention while the campaigns lay low for the 2 weeks.

As a bit of an aside, I've heard growing complaints that Democrats have entered a checklist mode. Went out of their way to bring in specific racial groups for specific things, went out of their way to put in a transgender woman, showed off an LGBT caucus, have had the party organized since inauguration day 2009 to set up a woman to be President immediately after putting a black guy there, a VP that speaks fluent Spanish, a point of making at least 50% of speakers women, etc etc etc. And, you know, much of that is probably deliberate, but right now I don't care. They're the Big Tent Party now, brought back by Obama 2008, taking the mantle Republicans had held since Reagan, and it's important to show just how many people they can make feel at home.

It's deliberate optics, but they're damn effective, and they barely even need to force it. This is the new normal for Democrats. Any given person could fit into any given place, no qualifiers needed, just qualifications. Contrast to the RNC where they barely even tried to put in a few token minorities. That's not an evolving party looking forward. If Democrats would fucking vote in midterms we'd already have been sliding toward expected single-party rule of all 3 branches of government. It's going to be at least 2022 for that, unfortunately. 2010 screwed with so much on both the state and national levels it set Democrats back an entire decade. Or perhaps you could say delayed, if the GOP still absolutely refuses to change, and I'm not even sure how they could change to be more appealing right now.

Ophelion

Also, idk if this is gendered or not

But Hillary looked stunning tonight. That suit was fabulous. It was beautiful. Her hair was on point, and she just looked amazing.

Nah, she looked great.

Also, I haven't seen Chelsea in motion probably since the Clintons left the White House the last time. She reminds me SO much of her mom. Even the way she talks reminds me of Hillary. And she is crazy beautiful.

I'm pretty sure everyone on CNN is drunker than adam at this point.

Adam had no alcohol tonight because he wanted to remember this. :)

Bernie Sanders ‏@BernieSanders 3h3 hours ago
I congratulate @HillaryClinton on this historic achievement. We are stronger together.

Thank you Bernie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom