• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Adam had no alcohol tonight because he wanted to remember this. :)

Bernie Sanders ‏@BernieSanders 3h3 hours ago
I congratulate @HillaryClinton on this historic achievement. We are stronger together.

Thank you Bernie.

he looked pretty sour during her speech though. i wonder if he was embarrassed or pissed.

Ophelion

he looked pretty sour during her speech though. i wonder if he was embarrassed or pissed.

Bernie's a hard dude to read sometimes. Hopefully he was just tired and ready to go home. He's done a lot of good things and I know this can't be the outcome he was hoping for, but his actions 100% ended up pushing our country toward a better place.

I actually think he was embarrassed. The whole thing got away from him and he had no clue how to fix it. (Because he never had control over it to begin with). He basically just picked every fringe leftie along the way, and they, somehow, managed to take over his delegation. Well, his California delegation.

Once change I do hope we see in the DNC is a better educational program on how a fucking convention works for first time delegates. We need better training. And better mics.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
NJ9XTao.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
California was a mistake. California is a mess.
Nonsense. California is great. Only the sore loser Bernie delegates were a mistake. That's on his campaign, not the state. We did the right thing and Hillary won the state.

CCS

Banned
"Have you ever been to Arlington Cemetery? Go look at the graves of the brave patriots who died defending America -- you will see all faiths, genders and ethnicities," he said. "You have sacrificed nothing and no one."

Wow. Just catching up now, that was a fantastic speech.

I just watched Gen Allen be interviewed by Megyn Kelly and he basically bit his tongue so hard to not call Trump a clown and a disaster for the military. Defended Hilary big time and how he has already worked with her and the troops will follow her.

Kelly even straight up asked him his thoughts on Trump and he said he'd rather not get into that so she pivoted to asking about his foreign policies and he basically trashed them. Especially the NATO position.

lol.

Also weird to hear on Fox...someone mentioned that even though the rank and file soldiers are supporting Trump 2:1 that among officers, strategists, and intelligence (current and former) people are supporting Hillary and consider Trump dangerous.

Yikes.

I suspect Megyn Kelly is trying to get people to shit on Trump as much as possible. The tweets she sent out during the DNC tonight implied she supported Hillary more than Trump regardless of party ideology. I'm sure it doesn't help that Trump has treated her like dog shit for years now, but I have a hard time believing all the traditionally Republican voters and pundits support Trump or even take him seriously.

Piecake

The interesting this is I don't feel like the Democratic party is really sliding to the center so much that the "norm" is slowly sliding to the left. They still have a decidedly progressive platform (at least for this country) and it was a pretty progressive speech. I think it's pretty genius to shoot for a "hey look we're the 'normal' party now and they're the radicals" portrayal of the party.

I think what the Trump nomination is showing us is that many Republican voters don't really give a shit about conservative small government thinking. They voted Republican because of social values and white identity politics/white nationalism. Trump is the candidate that hit those two crucial buttons, but also went the demagogic populist route of elites fucking over the little guy. That's a very different pitch than usual Republican platforms, and a pitch that turned out to be popular with Republicans.

I suspect Megyn Kelly is trying to get people to shit on Trump as much as possible. The tweets she sent out during the DNC tonight implied she supported Hillary more than Trump regardless of party ideology. I'm sure it doesn't help that Trump has treated her like dog shit for years now, but I have a hard time believing all the traditionally Republican voters and pundits support Trump or even take him seriously.

I'm fairly certain the Republican Intelligence Brass is going to actually vote Hillary in the booth. I think they all don't want Hillary to win but they feel that they can at least trust her in foreign policy and then be able to fight her in domestic policy.

On the flip side, they are scared of Trump's foreign policy...like really scared. And domestically don't trust him. Plus they know he's a buffoon.

Guys like McCain and Graham have "endorsed" trump but i actually think they'll punch in Hillary or at worst a 3rd party/fake vote. they're simply thinking about their own elections and such (though I wish they showed more of a spine).

And the non-well known people. Beltway insiders. 100% hillary.

I think what the Trump nomination is showing us is that many Republican voters don't really give a shit about conservative small government thinking. They voted Republican because of social values and white identity politics/white nationalism. Trump is the candidate that hit those two crucial buttons, but also went the demagogic populist route of elites fucking over the little guy. That's a very different pitch than usual Republican platforms, and a pitch that turned out to be popular with Republicans.

100% true.

I think a lot of GOPers thought they could feed this beast until they won back their elections. But Obama destroyed them and they couldn't overcome him and suddenly one of these dolts took over the party and they weren't ready for it.

You know, sort of like how they never really had a post-Iraq plan. Short term thinking.

smurfx

get some go again
Probably only 10% of republicans will be voting for Hilary. Maybe 15 or 20 percent if she's really lucky on election day.
doubt that many will cross over. best case scenario is that many republicans stay home and democrats show up and vote in hillary and many democrats into office.

Piecake

I bet some Republicans are thinking that they will hold the house for a while so any domestic policy will be obstructed while Hilary is president, and that Hilary is far far more preferable to Trump in terms of foreign affairs where Trump can do some real and lasting damage.

Not to mention that if this clown gets elected he will make a far more long lasting imprint on the party than if he loses, which would be quite bad for the future of the Republican party.

mo60

doubt that many will cross over. best case scenario is that many republicans stay home and democrats show up and vote in hillary and many democrats into office.

Yeah. The last few elections had under 10% of republicans voting for the democratic candidate.If she got around 8% or 9% of them it will be great.Johnson may also steal some of them

ampere

The Khan family was such an amazing moment. It's up on CNN's frontpage and trending on twitter. Powerful stuff, excellent work getting them to speak.

"You sacrificed nothing" that's the brown people equivalent of getting called by your full name. Soul burning.

It was incredible. You can feel the heartbreak that their family had, but also how proud they are of their son's courage. And then you think about how much of a shitheel the GoP's garbage is

fuckin a wrinkle in time was the best book

the BEST

It was such a mindfuck when I was young. I remember something about the Gettysburg address and it being a weapon when said to someone... and wormholes.

Ophelion

Yeah. The last few elections had under 10% of republicans voting for the democratic candidate.If she get around 8% or 9% of them it will be great.Johnson may also steal some of them

Honestly, I can't believe it seems like a serious possibility Hillary "she-devil of the left" Clinton will realistically be picking up ANY Republican votes.

What a brave new world we have entered into...

My Definite Ranking of Speeches at DNC

1. Khizr Khan - for shaming Donald Trump and everybody who supports him.
2. Barack Obama - For framing the election was between democracy vs. fascism, between decency and indecency.
3. Michelle Obama - For eloquently framing the election about our sons and daughters
4. Hillary Clinton - for mixing policy with Trump attacks in a mostly effective way.
5. Joe Biden/Tim Kaine - For telling White Middle Class Americans the way it is
6. Bill Clinton - For being able to take a back seat and concentrating on showing the human side of his wife
7. Bernie Sanders - For endorsing HC in prime time in a forceful manner

Hillary is not a wave this big theme together kind of speaker unlike Obama or Bill, but she was able to I think to an extent talk about her policy goals and skewer Trump. The part about "70 odd" and then following of with "I really mean odd" was delivered very well. The part about telling Donald that he doesn't know more than the generals was classic. The whole "Join Us" riff was excellent. I do believe if the Bernie or Bust fuckers were not heckling the whole speech would have been much better.

thebloo

Man, I just watched Rev. William Barber. I know many will disagree, but this is the best speech of the convention. Absolutely fantastic! And the heart part is perfect.

Pro-Bernie supporters on /r/politics accusing the DNC of setting up "white noise machines" around noisy delegations full of BoBers. The machines they're talking about are fucking Wi-Fi Hotspots....

jiggle

Ho strange
Why aren't they selling the new campaign theme song?

Pro-Bernie supporters on /r/politics accusing the DNC of setting up "white noise machines" around noisy delegations full of BoBers. The machines they're talking about are fucking Wi-Fi Hotspots....
At least their green screen shirts totally worked
Such genius

Or mirrors.

I'm reading some of them were actually speakers that had been there the whole time as well. Not an astute bunch over there...

EDIT: Also, this.

After Trump painted America as a downcast country in need of a billionaire savior, night after night of all-star DNC speakers preached a sermon of American exceptionalism, with values that unify us all – talking points once exclusively owned by Republicans.

There's something about the Republicans not being able to say shit about the people chanting at veterans because their candidate literally shamed a POW for being caught.

This is hilarious. I mean there's nothing left to do but laugh. The funny thing is I don't think anyone sees these people and thinks it reflects poorly on Hillary Clinton at all.

Piecake

http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/07/jeremy-corbyn-and-paranoid-style

Brutal

This summer, Corbyn is fighting another leadership election. The main focus of his campaign so far has been an attempt to paint his rival Owen Smith as a “Big Pharma shill”, while Corbyn’s most influential supporter, Unite’s Len McCluskey, has claimed that MI5 are waging a dirty tricks campaign against the Leader of the Opposition. On stage Corbyn has attacked national media for failing to cover a parish council by-election.

----

Hofstadter’s 1964 essay was inspired by McCarthyism, but the Paranoid Style as a political and psychological phenomenon has been with us for as long as modern politics. Of course conspiracies and misdeeds can happen, but the Paranoid Style builds up an apocalyptic vision of a future driven entirely by dark conspiracies. The NHS won’t just be a bit worse; it will be destroyed in 24 hours. Opponents aren’t simply wrong, but evil incarnate; near-omnipotent super-villains control the media, the banks, even history itself. Through most of history, movements like this have remained at the fringes of politics; and when they move into the mainstream bad things tend to happen.

To pick one example among many, science broadcaster Marcus Chown’s Twitter feed is full of statements that fall apart at the slightest touch. We learn that billionaires control 80 per cent of the media – they don’t. We learn that the BBC were “playing down” the Panama Papers story, tweeted on a day when it led the TV news bulletins and was the number one story on their news site. We learn that the Tories are lying when they say they’ve increased spending on the NHS. As FullFact report, the Tories have increased NHS spending in both absolute and real terms. We learn via a retweet that Labour were ahead of the Conservatives in polling before a leadership challenge; they weren’t.

----

Bewildered and infuriated by the BBC’s refusal to run hard-left soundbites as headlines, the paranoid left assume Auntie is involved in some sort of right-wing establishment plot. Public figures such as Laura Kuenssberg, the Corporation’s political editor, have been subjected to a campaign of near-permanent abuse from the left, much of it reeking of misogyny. By asking Labour figures questions as tough as those she routinely puts to Conservative politicians, she has exposed her true role as a “Tory propagandist whore”, a “fucking cunt bag”, or a “Murdoch puppet”.

This was the context in which Corbyn’s leadership campaign was fought, and with his own dislike of the media and love of a good conspiracy theorist, he swiftly became a figurehead for the paranoid left. Suddenly, the cranks and conspiracy theorists had a home in his Labour party; and they flocked to it in their tens of thousands. Of course most Corbynistas aren’t cranks, but an intense and vocal minority are, and they have formed a poisonous core at the heart of the cause.

The result is a Truther-style movement that exists in almost complete denial of reality. Polls showing double-digit leads for the Conservatives are routinely decried as the fabrications of sinister mainstream media figures. The local elections in May, which saw Corbyn’s Labour perform worse than most opposition leaders in recent history, triggered a series of memes insisting that results were just fine. Most bewildering of all is a conspiracy theory which insists that Labour MPs who quit the shadow cabinet and declared ‘no confidence’ in Corbyn were somehow orchestrated by the PR firm, Portland Communications.

Posting this from the Corbyn thread since it reminded me a lot of Sanders campaign at the end and a some of his supporters throughout. Not to mention that it is just an interesting article.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's morning in America! Let's get our bump and blow these fuckers the fuck away!

edit: I thought it could have used more Benghazi though.

Waking up feeling good about this election. We gon be alright.

At the very least, the case has been made, and made well. There's nothing to second guess about it. There's no hiding from or missing who the candidates really are or what they represent. It's up to voters. Like I said before, we'll get the President we deserve.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Megyn Kelly showed up at a CNN party unexpectedly last night. Hilarious.

My favorite part of the convention was the democrats effectively and repeatedly grasping the "We are America" theme that Republicans think they own. Khan's speech brought it home. That has to be infuriating to Priebus et al.

I wonder if Ailes being out has liberated some Fox people to deviate from the script a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom