• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Ailes being out has liberated some Fox people to deviate from the script a little.

Kelly's contract with Fox is nearly up. She could have been there to draw attention to the negotiation. If not, as the most visible woman at a company whose boss was forced out for serial sexual harassment she's pretty much bullet proof at this point.

I've been wondering what Trump would need to do or say for the likes of Paul Ryan and other reluctant Trump endorsers to pull their support. At this point, I can't imagine anything short of a Michael Richard style racist tirade would push those spineless turds over the edge. The recent NATO, Russian espionage encouragement and remarks about Crimea are dangerous things for high profile elected officials to indirectly support. I guess they can just keep endorsing him while condemning all of the proposed policies he vomits out of his mouth.

KingK

Convention seemed to go pretty well. Both of the Obamas had the two best speeches by far. Cory Booker was probably third, then a drop off to Clinton and Biden, then the rest. I don't really have any strong feelings about Tim Kaine, but the dude was not a good speaker. At times he was just being, others he seemed really awkward and cringe. He got better by the end though.

I'm optimistic about the Senate, still pessimistic about the House. I'm also hoping the left heeds the words of Obama and Bernie, and stays engaged after the election to force democrats to actually try to enact the platform.

I've been wondering what Trump would need to do or say for the likes of Paul Ryan and other reluctant Trump endorsers to pull their support. At this point, I can't imagine anything short of a Michael Richard style racist tirade would push those spineless turds over the edge. The recent NATO, Russian espionage encouragement and remarks about Crimea are dangerous things for high profile elected officials to indirectly support. I guess they can just keep endorsing him while condemning all of the proposed policies he vomits out of his mouth.

The only thing that's going to get major endorsers to jump ship now is for Trump to start losing badly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My Rank of DNC Speeches That I Can Remember

1. Michelle Obama: the salve that healed the burn. Michelle Obama is a national treasure. The speech was strong and direct in its support of unity and Hillary Clinton, and the message about leaving behind something better for our children resonates as not uniquely American but uniquely human. Her delivery was impeccable. Simply divine.
2. Barack Obama: not much to say that hasn’t been said. A generational politician. How he manages to continue to appeal to our better natures despite constantly being subjected to the worst of our country is what makes him truly great.
3. Joe Biden: this was a barnburner if there ever was one. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to shout “YEAH! AMERICA!” more than I did listening to this speech. It’s amazing how Biden has helped the Democratic party retake patriotism.
4. Hillary Clinton: undoubtedly the best speech of Hillary Clinton’s career. Still uncomfortable talking about herself, but incredibly in command of policy and really effective at tearing down Trump. There can be no question now that Hillary is the most progressive presidential nominee running on the most progressive platform in history.
5. Reverend William Barber: uplifting. Just incredibly memorable. This was a religious speech in the true sense of the term— “religion” in the sense that he sought to find the commonality that connects us and binds us all together. The authenticity of this guy was simply infectious. I am a moral defibrillator. I love that this can only happen on the DNC stage.
6. Khizr Khan: this was really unexpected, but unbelievably powerful. “You have sacrificed nothing” and “Have you even read the constitution?” are top 10 burns of the convention. Watching his wife stand there silently and solemnly was one of the more difficult things to endure.
7. Bill Clinton: humanized Hillary in all the right ways. The end of his speech contrasting the “real Hillary” with the “cartoon Hillary” was classic Bill Clinton. His relatively low rank on the rank here says nothing of what I thought of the speech…it was just an incredible week. The best parts of Bill’s speech, again, were off the cuff. Bill Clinton is a storyteller unlike any other.
8. Cory Booker: what a crescendo! Really built as the turd children quieted down, but he was basically screaming for the first half of the speech. The message was excellent and I think he launched himself into the national conversation. “We will rise” is great and sounds like “Yes we can” 2.0.
9. Bernie Sanders: absolutely did what he needed to do. If you don’t vote Hillary following his endorsement, you’re not a Bernie supporter. I’m subconsciously docking him because of how crap his campaign was in selecting delegates at the end but I’m also subconsciously boosting him because of how he handled the nomination.
10. Tim Kaine: Tim was hampered by his extremely slow start, but after having heard all the other VP speakers speak, I give him some credit. This didn’t connect as well as his Miami speech; obviously Tim has never presented to 10,000+ people. I do think he connects with suburbanites and Twitter absolutely loves the guy. Hard to complain about something that successful.
11. Elizabeth Warren: I still believe she is not really a great public speaker. Her message remains great but she comes across as breathless. I don’t think her speeches have a strong natural cadence or rhythm to them. She’s super effective at attacking Trump though so she can continue to do that.
12. Jennifer Granholm: gets a mention just because I think this woman is hilarious.

Tendo

Question for you guys. Hillary rally today and the doors open at 630. What time do you think I should get there to ensure a seat? It's been since 08 since my last rally. I rsvpd on her site but not sure if that is enough.

Slayven

Megyn Kelly showed up at a CNN party unexpectedly last night. Hilarious.

My favorite part of the convention was the democrats effectively and repeatedly grasping the "We are America" theme that Republicans think they own. Khan's speech brought it home. That has to be infuriating to Priebus et al.

Word on the street is Kelly is looking to jump to CNN

Wilsongt

Another cop was shot last night, so that was Fox's main story while I was listening. It was Obama's fault, didn't focus on cops at the DNC, cops leave behind wives and children, vote Hillary for more cop killing, etc.

Judge Jeannie is such a string of bad words I can't use in polite company.

DEM-2016-Convention_HILLARY2.jpg

DEM-2016-Convention_HILLARY3.jpg
The ridiculous flags, giant letters, weird imperial setting of the Trump Convention. Completely with the shadowy secret servicemen at either side.
Contrast with the bright and cheerful DNC.

Maybe commented on before, but the relationship between Clinton and Kaine, and the genuine affinity is also a major contrast.

Brinbe

Watching Kaine get interviewed on CNN. I don't think there's any doubt he can be suitably tough to take down Trump/Pence when required.

Gruco

Banned
Honestly, I can't believe it seems like a serious possibility Hillary "she-devil of the left" Clinton will realistically be picking up ANY Republican votes.

What a brave new world we have entered into...
Trump's toxicity is real, especially on grads and postgraduate.

Anecdotal, but I can tell you my lifelong Republican father and stepmother are voting for Hillary. They don't like it but they also 100% know it is the right thing to do. Two of my friends are lifelong apathetics registering to vote against Trump, and will be proud if this is the only election they ever vote in.

The cross the spectrum intellectual hatred of Trump is a huge opportunity. And Democrats managed to appeal to own their base and to the people abandoned by Republicans in the best possible way. Obviously this group isn't a majority of the GOP. But it also knows the right thing to do this election, even if they don't like it. Hope we see this tip after that convention. Because, seriously.

What a fucking convention.

My Definite Ranking of Speeches at DNC

1. Khizr Khan - for shaming Donald Trump and everybody who supports him.
2. Barack Obama - For framing the election was between democracy vs. fascism, between decency and indecency.
3. Michelle Obama - For eloquently framing the election about our sons and daughters
4. Hillary Clinton - for mixing policy with Trump attacks in a mostly effective way.
5. Joe Biden/Tim Kaine - For telling White Middle Class Americans the way it is
6. Bill Clinton - For being able to take a back seat and concentrating on showing the human side of his wife
7. Bernie Sanders - For endorsing HC in prime time in a forceful manner

Hillary is not a wave this big theme together kind of speaker unlike Obama or Bill, but she was able to I think to an extent talk about her policy goals and skewer Trump. The part about "70 odd" and then following of with "I really mean odd" was delivered very well. The part about telling Donald that he doesn't know more than the generals was classic. The whole "Join Us" riff was excellent. I do believe if the Bernie or Bust fuckers were not heckling the whole speech would have been much better.

No love for "We Will Rise" from Booker?

Glorious.

John HarwoodVerified account
‏@JohnJHarwood
Trump to NYT after Democratic convention w/higher ratings, production values: "I didn’t produce our show. I just showed up for final speech"

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Crooked Hillary Clinton made up facts about me, and "forgot" to mention the many problems of our country, in her very average scream!

Trump, Clinton in virtual tie in Missouri
MO WH'16 poll (Mason-Dixon): Clinton 41, Trump 40, Johnson 9, Stein 1

Iolo

o_O

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are in a virtual tie in Missouri, according to a new Post-Dispatch poll.

A survey of 625 likely voters conducted last weekend shows the Democrat Clinton with 41 percent to the Republican Trump’s 40 percent, with Libertarian Gary Johnson at 9 percent. The telephone poll, conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_ecbca03a-ea36-5bef-bf8c-fcb817cc7c31.html

dramatis

The ridiculous flags, giant letters, weird imperial setting of the Trump Convention. Completely with the shadowy secret servicemen at either side.
Contrast with the bright and cheerful DNC.

Maybe commented on before, but the relationship between Clinton and Kaine, and the genuine affinity is also a major contrast.
What can you expect? $6 million budget shortfall means they couldn't even afford China-made props for the stage or the audience lol

Kos put up a fun short piece about the audience signage
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...ratic-stagecraft-kicks-Republicans-in-the-ass

HylianTom

Banned
Glorious.

Trump, Clinton in virtual tie in Missouri
MO WH'16 poll (Mason-Dixon): Clinton 41, Trump 40, Johnson 9, Stein 1

A bit surprising. There was another recent poll showing him up comfortably, so I'd guess the truth is somewhere in-between. It'd be nice if Team Hillary had another state where Trump is forced to spread himself even thinner.

And that "I just showed-up, it's not my fault" line from Trump seems perfect for what we'll hear out of him on November 9th.

Well the Trump campaign released their official statement on Hillary's speech last night.

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/posts/10157391345450725

TRUMP CAMPAIGN STATEMENT ON CLINTON'S ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

Hillary Clinton’s speech was an insulting collection of clichés and recycled rhetoric. She spent the evening talking down to the American people she’s looked down on her whole life.

Hillary Clinton talks about unity, about E Pluribus Unum, but her globalist agenda denies American citizens the protections to which they are all entitled – tearing us apart. Her radical amnesty plan will take jobs, resources and benefits from the most vulnerable citizens of the United States and give them to the citizens of other countries. Her refusal to even say the words ‘Radical Islam’, or to mention her disaster in Libya, or her corrupt email scheme, all show how little she cares about the safety of the American people.

It’s a speech delivered from a fantasy universe, not the reality we live in today.

Hillary Clinton says America is stronger together. But in Hillary Clinton’s America, millions of people are left out in the cold. She only stands together with the donors and special interests who’ve bankrolled her entire life. Excluded from Hillary Clinton’s America are the suffering people living in our inner cities, or the victims of open borders and drug cartels, or the people who’ve lost their jobs because of the Clintons’ trade deals, or any hardworking person who doesn’t have enough money to get a seat at Hillary Clinton’s table.

Edit: if someone already posted this I apologize

Vestal

is this good or bad for clinton

If this tendency holds and Republicans need to play defense in FUCKING MISSOURI and UTAH of all places, its over.

I know it sounds overly dramatic, but when you look at the electoral college and how the paths to 270 are set, losing either state for the Rs is the kiss of death.

DrMungo

If this tendency holds and Republicans need to play defense in FUCKING MISSOURI and UTAH of all places, its over.

I know it sounds overly dramatic, but when you look at the electoral college and how the paths to 270 are set, losing either state for the Rs is the kiss of death.

They are also probably scrambling for cash

19.9 overnight rating for night 4 of the DNC and HRC's acceptance speech. -4% lower than the 20.8 for night 4 of the RNC.

The four nights of the DNC averaged an 18.6 in the major markets, +11% better than the 16.7 for the four nights of the RNC

Top markets for Hillary's acceptance:

West Palm
Richmond
New York
Hartford
Philadelphia
Ft. Myers
Washington
Nashville
Albuquerque
Vegas

Source
https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/759014736373493760
https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/759015129992179713
https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/759015778876219397

dramatis

Too bad about the ratings. Still a good show overall.

We're healing. Sandy Hook School Opens To Public, 4 Years After Massacre Of 26 [TPM].
The new school, funded by a state grant, has safety features such as impact-resistant windows and state-of-the-art video monitoring. Its ground floor is elevated, making it harder to see inside classrooms from the outside. It has been landscaped to ensure anyone approaching the school is visible to those inside and can enter via one of three pedestrian bridges that cross the landscaping.

It has been built to invoke nature, with treehouses and courtyards.

Teggy

Hehehe Reid enjoyed trolling Romney about his taxes, so why not do it for Trump:

“First of all, Donald Trump, I’m sure he has some money, but he’s not in the class of really rich people,” Reid said. “He’s a leverage guy. If he’d taken the money his dad gave him, which was millions, and just put it in the bank, he’d be rich now. But he’s wasted all that money.”

ampere

He'll make up for it with New York, duhhhh

I'm still dreaming we can make Georgia blue. I'm so hopeful that decency will overwhelming defeat hate

Lol this Trump surrogate is doubling down on Russia hacking.

"He's not saying he wants people to hack he's saying people already hacked and we want them release them"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom