• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some great behind the scenes photos of the after party for the Hillary team.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/29/politics/cnnphotos-behind-the-scenes-hillary-clinton-dnc/index.html

160729045540-22-hrc-dnc-shell-restricted-super-169.jpg

Geg

Since I don't know much about New York, was Bloomberg considered a good/popular mayor? I know I saw some people in the OT thread who weren't happy to see him

edit: Ooh, and I just noticed what the current thread title is, that's good

Since I don't know much about New York, was Bloomberg considered a good/popular mayor? I know I saw some people in the OT thread who weren't happy to see him

He was popular but he basically helped orchestrate stop and frisk. And suggested that minorities should've been stop and frisked more (racially profiled).

Bloomberg managed the city very well and could have gotten re-elected in a cake walk. He also sanctioned policies like stop and frisk that disproportionately impacted minorities.

dramatis

That feeling when you think you might have seen Huma's dress on Empire before

Bloomberg did some good things, but also some fairly bad things, like stop and frisk. He's a very mixed bag.

pigeon

Banned
Just do everything through whatsapp or whatever encrypted messaging service can't get hacked. Or have a email server not connected to the internet and only an intranet or something. Also: DON'T CLICK ON EMAIL LINKS

But this is the new normal.

We need to find new ways to secure digital data.

The story of this election is that IT professionals work hard to convince you not to just use Google Apps because if you do they have no job.

You should fire them and use Google Apps.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Trump finally got control of his phone back. Getting into it with a Bloomberg and a retired four star general can only help him. The Clinton's should make an ad with her line about baiting him in twitter then a screen cap of this:

CoicXioW8AEQLfu.jpg

I guess we've seen the extent of Trump's vocabulary. Now he's recycling nicknames.

Crooked, lyin', little. The best words.

Well, he is their voice.

The voice of crazy, hateful and fucking racist bigotry.
I read a WSJ article about how Hillary is awful (nothing unusual for WSJ) but the writer did make a point.
Mr. Trump’s poll numbers also bear this out. He is currently leading in the Real Clear Politics average despite no real ground game, little real fundraising, little policy message, a divided conservative electorate, and one of the messiest conventions on record. As of June 30, Mrs. Clinton and her allies had raised a stunning $600 million, which is already being spent to trash Mr. Trump. Yet to little or no effect. Mr. Trump is hardly a potted plant, but even if he were . . .
There is something either fundamentally wrong with polling or half of America is hateful and support an open racist. I cant no longer brush this aside as "uninformed electorate". Its either of the two. Yes Obama trounced his opponent twice. But I dont know what to make of that. Maybe the racists are coming out of the woodwork and that scares me.

I read a WSJ article about how Hillary is awful (nothing unusual for WSJ) but the writer did make a point.

There is something either fundamentally wrong with polling or half of America is hateful and support an open racist. I cant no longer brush this aside as "uninformed electorate". Its either of the two. Yes Obama trounced his opponent twice. But I dont know what to make of that. Maybe the racists are coming out of the woodwork and that scares me.

Well this is a result mainly of the bipartisan divide in the country, there isn't a lot of fluidity between bases right now. I think the real important place to invest funds is in efforts to get voters registered and out to vote, infrastructure in which Trump will be severely lacking in the run up to the election. I think that gives Hillary the edge she needs if it ends up being close in the end. It is what could swing some of the swing states and give her an electoral victory.

Well this is a result mainly of the bipartisan divide in the country, there isn't a lot of fluidity between bases right now. I think the real important place to invest funds is in efforts to get voters registered and out to vote, infrastructure in which Trump will be severely lacking in the run up to the election. I think that gives Hillary the edge she needs if it ends up being close in the end. It is what could swing some of the swing states and give her an electoral victory.
What screen do you think we need in order to capture the voters actually moving their butts to the polling station? Shouldn't a LV screen take care of this particular point?

What screen do you think we need in order to capture the voters actually moving their butts to the polling station? Shouldn't a LV screen take care of this particular point?

I'm not well versed in polling. I want to say that Hillary's entire coalition isn't being reached by the traditional national polling methods we have, but that is a hard thing to assert with any confidence and I think it would be mildly naive to fully believe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bloomberg did some good things, but also some fairly bad things, like stop and frisk. He's a very mixed bag.

Pretty much. There was a lot of negative (stop and frisk, he didn't do enough to control housing costs, subverting term limits), but he also did some good and generally had the city running like a Swiss watch by the time he left. For every good thing he did there was a bad thing he did.

I'm imagining Bill creeping Katy Perry in every one of those pics of him.

LOL

studyguy

That "It's a big deal, and it should be a big deal to your President too" line about issues that affect your children and family sounds like it's getting a shitload of play on radio and the podcasts I'm listening to now. Really loved that line.

pigeon

Banned
That "It's a big deal, and it should be a big deal to your President too" line about issues that affect your children and family sounds like it's getting a shitload of play on radio and the podcasts I'm listening to now. Really loved that line.

I really liked that line and in some ways I'm surprised it took so long.

Good for Hillary for finally making the positive case for knowing stuff. It's been a long time, America.

gcubed

Its July where a typical convention is end of August. LV models aren't being used everywhere either.

I love that all of Trumps advocates on TV are feckless idiots. Between Jeffrey Lord, Boris E and the other woman who makes the rounds.

Like, when they speak the air goes out of the room from people shocked at how stupid someone can be

I really wished that someone would have followed up with Nicole Wallace about what she meant when she talked about Hillary needing to include parts in her speech to appeal more to conservatives.

Like.. What does that even mean anymore at this point? I feel like conservatism right now minus the racism, sexism, and delusion is just some vague talking point about balancing the budget.

Its July where a typical convention is end of August. LV models aren't being used everywhere either.

I love that all of Trumps advocates on TV are feckless idiots. Between Jeffrey Lord, Boris E and the other woman who makes the rounds.

Like, when they speak the air goes out of the room from people shocked at how stupid someone can be

you can almost see everyone roll their eyes when Lord speaks on CNN. Loved the bit about the fence around the DNC and then I think it was Paul that said "and the RNC didn't let in open carry firearms" (or maybe it was Van Jones)

Boke1879

I really wished that someone would have followed up with Nicole Wallace about what she meant when she talked about Hillary needing to include parts in her speech to appeal more to conservatives.

Like.. What does that even mean anymore at this point? I feel like conservatism right now minus the racism, sexism, and delusion is just some vague talking point about balancing the budget.

Yea. If you're American I don't see how you don't find some sort of appeal in her speech. What could she have said that would "appeal" to conservatives more?

Holmes

Hillary's speech and maaaany of the speakers before her that night were explicitly courting soft/right-leaning Republicans and Indies.

you can almost see everyone roll their eyes when Lord speaks on CNN. Loved the bit about the fence around the DNC and then I think it was Paul that said "and the RNC didn't let in open carry firearms" (or maybe it was Van Jones)
90% of the time its Anderson Cooper who shuts Lord's silly mouth up. About that fence thing, he immediately told Lord "We already do have a border fence with Mexico"

Teggy

When asked about Trump being called a demagogue, Mike Pence seriously, seriously said this:

Jeffrey GoldbergVerified account
‏@JeffreyGoldberg
Mike Pence says he doesn't think that "name calling has any place in public life."

Paskil

Trump finally got control of his phone back. Getting into it with a Bloomberg and a retired four star general can only help him. The Clinton's should make an ad with her line about baiting him in twitter then a screen cap of this:

CoicXioW8AEQLfu.jpg

Skin so thin, you can use it as tracing paper.

Farmboy

CoicXioW8AEQLfu.jpg

LOL, I was saying the other day how his 'I want to hit them but won't' shtick would probably last less than 24 hours. I love how both Kaine's 'Believe me' and Hillary's tweet line will keep paying dividends for months. He just can't help himself.

Ranking (note: haven't seen a few big ones, including Booker, Kahn, Bloomberg, Warren... even Bernie. So I really have no business making a list. But I will anyway. Mess.)

1. Michelle Obama: just note perfect, changed the narrative completely from Dems in Disarray to Great First Night.

2. Bill Clinton: y'all are underestimating this one. Perfect opening line, tricky balacing act from start to finish. His Muslim line was a bit reductive, but otherwise flawless. Also so different from his wonky 2012 speech... Dat range.

3. Hillary Clinton: great buildup, culminating in the moment of acceptance, then keeps building form there. Hits all the necessary notes, and there were a lot, and has a lot of nice attack lines that can be reused effectively on the stump. Bonus points for Chelsea's introduction speech and especially the Freeman narrated movie; they should totally just run an edited version of that as an ad.

4. TIE: Tim Kaine and Joe Biden: two sincere blue collar warriors making the case that Dems are still the workers' party. No frills, plain spoken, effective.

5. Barack Obama: still an excellent speech and very smart; it's getting rave reviews from Republicans -- and hey, why not seize the opportunity to get love of country, police/armed forces et cetera in the (dumpster) fire sale that was the RNC? Reaganesque in the best possible way, but I don't like Reagan a whole lot. Still far better than anything the RNC had.

90% of the time its Anderson Cooper who shuts Lord's silly mouth up. About that fence thing, he immediately told Lord "We already do have a border fence with Mexico"

Yep, its a completely false argument to begin with (since you know, there are numerous heads of state there like the president, former president, etc etc).

Just thought the counter about the guns was a better comeback, cause it shows how stupid of a argument that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom