• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wished that someone would have followed up with Nicole Wallace about what she meant when she talked about Hillary needing to include parts in her speech to appeal more to conservatives.

Like.. What does that even mean anymore at this point? I feel like conservatism right now minus the racism, sexism, and delusion is just some vague talking point about balancing the budget.

She wanted Hillary to propose conservative policies.

In other words, she was going to bash the speech no matter what, as many here predicted.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Klocker

My Rank of DNC Speeches That I Can Remember

1. Michelle Obama: the salve that healed the burn. Michelle Obama is a national treasure. The speech was strong and direct in its support of unity and Hillary Clinton, and the message about leaving behind something better for our children resonates as not uniquely American but uniquely human. Her delivery was impeccable. Simply divine.
2. Barack Obama: not much to say that hasn’t been said. A generational politician. How he manages to continue to appeal to our better natures despite constantly being subjected to the worst of our country is what makes him truly great.
3. Joe Biden: this was a barnburner if there ever was one. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to shout “YEAH! AMERICA!” more than I did listening to this speech. It’s amazing how Biden has helped the Democratic party retake patriotism.
4. Hillary Clinton: undoubtedly the best speech of Hillary Clinton’s career. Still uncomfortable talking about herself, but incredibly in command of policy and really effective at tearing down Trump. There can be no question now that Hillary is the most progressive presidential nominee running on the most progressive platform in history.
5. Reverend William Barber: uplifting. Just incredibly memorable. This was a religious speech in the true sense of the term— “religion” in the sense that he sought to find the commonality that connects us and binds us all together. The authenticity of this guy was simply infectious. I am a moral defibrillator. I love that this can only happen on the DNC stage.
6. Khizr Khan: this was really unexpected, but unbelievably powerful. “You have sacrificed nothing” and “Have you even read the constitution?” are top 10 burns of the convention. Watching his wife stand there silently and solemnly was one of the more difficult things to endure.
7. Bill Clinton: humanized Hillary in all the right ways. The end of his speech contrasting the “real Hillary” with the “cartoon Hillary” was classic Bill Clinton. His relatively low rank on the rank here says nothing of what I thought of the speech…it was just an incredible week. The best parts of Bill’s speech, again, were off the cuff. Bill Clinton is a storyteller unlike any other.
8. Cory Booker: what a crescendo! Really built as the turd children quieted down, but he was basically screaming for the first half of the speech. The message was excellent and I think he launched himself into the national conversation. “We will rise” is great and sounds like “Yes we can” 2.0.
9. Bernie Sanders: absolutely did what he needed to do. If you don’t vote Hillary following his endorsement, you’re not a Bernie supporter. I’m subconsciously docking him because of how crap his campaign was in selecting delegates at the end but I’m also subconsciously boosting him because of how he handled the nomination.
10. Tim Kaine: Tim was hampered by his extremely slow start, but after having heard all the other VP speakers speak, I give him some credit. This didn’t connect as well as his Miami speech; obviously Tim has never presented to 10,000+ people. I do think he connects with suburbanites and Twitter absolutely loves the guy. Hard to complain about something that successful.
11. Elizabeth Warren: I still believe she is not really a great public speaker. Her message remains great but she comes across as breathless. I don’t think her speeches have a strong natural cadence or rhythm to them. She’s super effective at attacking Trump though so she can continue to do that.
12. Jennifer Granholm: gets a mention just because I think this woman is hilarious.
Damn near perfect analysis

It was a great week, whole event was choreographed impeccably

Slacker

When asked about Trump being called a demagogue, Mike Pence seriously, seriously said this:

Jeffrey GoldbergVerified account
‏@JeffreyGoldberg
Mike Pence says he doesn't think that "name calling has any place in public life."

The more I see this kind of thing the more I think this is all some master plan. Donnie will get more and more ridiculous until about a month before the election when suddenly he'll find God and leave the campaign to live as a monk in the mountains of eastern Europe. Then Mike Pence will step in and he'll seem incredibly sane and competent by comparison. Everyone will be so relieved they'll sweep Pence into office and we'll have stumbled ass-backwards into the most hardcore conservative executive branch we've ever had.

The more I see this kind of thing the more I think this is all some master plan. Donnie will get more and more ridiculous until about a month before the election when suddenly he'll find God and leave the campaign to live as a monk in the mountains of eastern Europe. Then Mike Pence will step in and he'll seem incredibly sane and competent by comparison. Everyone will be so relieved they'll sweep Pence into office and we'll have stumbled ass-backwards into the most hardcore conservative executive branch we've ever had.

It's not a master plan, Pence's calculation is that he can run in 2020 and get both Trump's supporters for being his VP and supporting him in 2016. And carry the conservative vote too for being a right wing conservative.

Gonna be canvassing for the Clinton campaign before hitting up the rally in Cbus on Sunday

I am HYPED

gMfjR0w.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My Rank of DNC Speeches That I Can Remember

1. Michelle Obama: the salve that healed the burn. Michelle Obama is a national treasure. The speech was strong and direct in its support of unity and Hillary Clinton, and the message about leaving behind something better for our children resonates as not uniquely American but uniquely human. Her delivery was impeccable. Simply divine.
2. Barack Obama: not much to say that hasn’t been said. A generational politician. How he manages to continue to appeal to our better natures despite constantly being subjected to the worst of our country is what makes him truly great.
3. Joe Biden: this was a barnburner if there ever was one. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to shout “YEAH! AMERICA!” more than I did listening to this speech. It’s amazing how Biden has helped the Democratic party retake patriotism.
4. Hillary Clinton: undoubtedly the best speech of Hillary Clinton’s career. Still uncomfortable talking about herself, but incredibly in command of policy and really effective at tearing down Trump. There can be no question now that Hillary is the most progressive presidential nominee running on the most progressive platform in history.
5. Reverend William Barber: uplifting. Just incredibly memorable. This was a religious speech in the true sense of the term— “religion” in the sense that he sought to find the commonality that connects us and binds us all together. The authenticity of this guy was simply infectious. I am a moral defibrillator. I love that this can only happen on the DNC stage.
6. Khizr Khan: this was really unexpected, but unbelievably powerful. “You have sacrificed nothing” and “Have you even read the constitution?” are top 10 burns of the convention. Watching his wife stand there silently and solemnly was one of the more difficult things to endure.
7. Bill Clinton: humanized Hillary in all the right ways. The end of his speech contrasting the “real Hillary” with the “cartoon Hillary” was classic Bill Clinton. His relatively low rank on the rank here says nothing of what I thought of the speech…it was just an incredible week. The best parts of Bill’s speech, again, were off the cuff. Bill Clinton is a storyteller unlike any other.
8. Cory Booker: what a crescendo! Really built as the turd children quieted down, but he was basically screaming for the first half of the speech. The message was excellent and I think he launched himself into the national conversation. “We will rise” is great and sounds like “Yes we can” 2.0.
9. Bernie Sanders: absolutely did what he needed to do. If you don’t vote Hillary following his endorsement, you’re not a Bernie supporter. I’m subconsciously docking him because of how crap his campaign was in selecting delegates at the end but I’m also subconsciously boosting him because of how he handled the nomination.
10. Tim Kaine: Tim was hampered by his extremely slow start, but after having heard all the other VP speakers speak, I give him some credit. This didn’t connect as well as his Miami speech; obviously Tim has never presented to 10,000+ people. I do think he connects with suburbanites and Twitter absolutely loves the guy. Hard to complain about something that successful.
11. Elizabeth Warren: I still believe she is not really a great public speaker. Her message remains great but she comes across as breathless. I don’t think her speeches have a strong natural cadence or rhythm to them. She’s super effective at attacking Trump though so she can continue to do that.
12. Jennifer Granholm: gets a mention just because I think this woman is hilarious.

I'd actually put Barack and Biden over Michelle. And that is not in any way to say Michelle's wasn't excellent.

Barack and Biden were both in top form. Obama explaining why Clinton is a good choice, and Biden demolishing Trump.

Klocker

Oh shit

Not saying it is a plan but it is not out of the realm of possibility that Trump bails if it's evident he is getting trounced

I'd actually put Barack and Biden over Michelle. And that is not in any way to say Michelle's wasn't excellent.

Barack and Biden were both in top form. Obama explaining why Clinton is a good choice, and Biden demolishing Trump.
No way was Biden's speech better than Michelle's.

Oh shit

Not saying it is a plan but it is not out of the realm of possibility that Trump bails if it's evident he is getting trounced

I have often wondered about the mechanics of this. Isn't there a point where it's too late to change the ballots? Wouldn't the only solution be a massive write-in campaign, which alone would cost them points due to basic confusion?

Klocker

I have often wondered about the mechanics of this. Isn't there a point where it's too late to change the ballots? Wouldn't the only solution be a massive write-in campaign, which alone would cost them points due to basic confusion?

I'm not sure of the mechanics if that were to happen maybe someone here knows, I'll need to look that up

So voter ID laws from Wisconsin, Texas and North Carolina are now thrown out?

Yup.

I was worried about Wisconsin, especially after reports of disenfranchisement during the primaries. It was the one thing that could have tilted Wisconsin to the right during the general election. Same with NC.

teiresias

Next stop would be the Supreme Court where a 4-4 ruling would affirm this decision.

I wonder how many of these cases have to land back at the SCOTUS for them to realize that striking down the requirement for prior Federal approval has done nothing but increase the number of these obviously racially-targetted laws have to crowd up their docket every session? Yet another moronic decision by Kennedy because he completely misreads the state of the country and the consequences of the ruling - just like Citizens United.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
NC is really big news. I think we can take it now. The bs in Arizona is why I don't think we have a shot there.

Set up a recurring donation to Hillary. Go vanquish the orange bastard pls.

Just donated myself. Now that it's all official like.

As a permanent resident (for now) it's what I am legally allowed to do. As I've said on here before, I hope to be able to vote for Clinton in 2020, but if she doesn't win, I'm not naturalizing to become part of Trump's America. No way no how.

Paskil

So voter ID laws from Wisconsin, Texas and North Carolina are now thrown out?
Yup.

I was worried about Wisconsin, especially after reports of disenfranchisement during the primaries. It was the one thing that could have tilted Wisconsin to the right during the general election. Same with NC.

Um, what news is causing you to lump Wisconsin into the Voter ID news from Texas/North Carolina? I am aware of no movement on that since it was settled by the 7th Circuit and SCOTUS has not invalidated that.

I work as a chief election inspector and we have received no notice from the Madison Clerk that anything has changed for the upcoming August 9 partisan primary.

gcubed

Um, what news is causing you to lump Wisconsin into the Voter ID news from Texas/North Carolina? I am aware of no movement on that since it was settled by the 7th Circuit and SCOTUS has not invalidated that.

I work as a chief election inspector and we have received no notice from the Madison Clerk that anything has changed for the upcoming August 9 partisan primary.

it wasn't settled by the 7th circuit, its on appeal to the 7th circuit after the federal district court granted an injunction on requiring an ID

The district court granted plaintiffs’ request for a preliminary injunction, requiring Wisconsin to offer voters who do not possess an ID and cannot obtain one with reasonable effort the option of receiving a ballot by signing an affidavit. The order requires Wisconsin to implement this affidavit option in time for the November 2016 general election and, while this case is pending, helps to ensure that Wisconsin voters have an opportunity to make their voices heard in the election.

The convention was good. I've never been the type to spend a lot of time inside the convention so I wasn't there much on the first day thankfully. The obstruction and dumb shit I did see from Sanders delegates in the little time I was there was more than enough. The second day was a lot better. I hung out with the Guam delegates who traveled through like 6 timezones to get to Philly. Met with some old friends and got on television a couple times while I chilled with the Illinois delegation.

I spent more time inside during the third day. Got to see the VP and his wife. Briefly saw the president and gave him a hug. Didn't get to talk with Kaine. I did get to meet and speak with some Hillary campaign folks, mainly those who had worked on the Obama campaign. Obviously polls look meh but nothing has really changed on the ground where it matters. Hillary still has a commanding lead in terms of GOTV, grassroots infrastructure, and just about every other measurable campaign metric.

Speech wise I thought the third day was really great. Biden gave a commanding performance and showed how you're supposed to use a microphone. I thought Kaine was very down to earth and likely scored well with audiences. He's just a man of great decency and kindness.

Obama's speech felt like a full circle moment to me, a feeling I've had a handful of times over the last year and a half. I couldn't help but be taken back to 2007. I knew of him at the time, and had briefly spoken to him before since I'm a Chicago machine guy, but going into that campaign I honestly didn't expect much. I thought he was too nice to do what was necessary to defeat the Clintons. I didn't know anything about his experience heading a campaign. I did know he was surrounded by a lot of aides who didn't have much experience. But I signed on anyway. And I watched how he went town to town, how voters slowly or quickly responded to his message, and the way he won people over as a man before winning them over as a politician.

The entire speech demonstrated his qualities, the same qualities that won Iowa and sparked an actual political revolution. I've never met someone in politics at that level (senator/governor/president/etc) who is as genuine and focused. The contrast between how he carries himself and how Trump acts is glaring, and I'd hope Americans will begin to think about that as we get closer to Labor Day. I could go on but ultimately Obama came into office, did a whole lot of what he said he was going to do, and is going to leave office without being changed.

The last day saw a return of Sanders support nonsense, especially outside the convention. Inside a lot of officials were on edge, wondering what was going to happen. They didn't go completely overboard but once again their behavior was pathetic. Thankfully I won't be spending anymore time thinking about them. Hillary handled it pretty well.

To briefly go back to the third day, one of the coolest things I saw was simply Obama and Hillary interacting. There's an interesting warmness there. They aren't the best of friends and both sides have allies who aren't big fans of the other (including myself)...but I think they've bonded from a mutual experience of facing unrelenting hatred and opposition. It's rare to meet someone who has gone through something like that. In Hillary's case she's gone through it for decades. So I think they both understand how important it is to lift each other up. I could tell Hillary wasn't happy about some of the protests that happened, but Bill and Obama were constantly there sharing stories or memories or discussing family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom