• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMS

What annoys me about news shows when people are defending Trump saying he was attacked no one comes back with how it was the Khans who were offended in the first place.

ampere

I missed this earlier:

"No one—no one—has given more for our freedom and security than our Gold Star families." —@POTUS

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/760196156617920512

The best orator of our generation. Things are just so powerful when he says them

Trump delegated his LGBT attacking to Pence. That's what a business man does, delegates.

Yup. And considering Pence may as well be in charge of all that stuff if Trump got elected, Trump is effectively just as bad or worse for LGBT people than Cruz or Rubio.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ummm.... what???

CozMIN-WAAA4OXp.jpg

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/760206941230620673

What in the name of flying fuck is he on about?

I read that there are no set rules on who can be a Supreme Court Justice but since Khizr Khan is a legal consultant from Harvard and we know he respects and understands the Constitution is it possible for him to be appointed as one?

gcubed

Johnson should trade Utah and Georgia with Hillary.

Also, Ana Navarro just laid the smack on Trump & Katrina Pierson. So Good.

it was such a weak ass argument though.

"All these republicans are standing against trump during these attacks".... but are still supporting him as the nominee and working to get him elected

Its a weak ass argument for weak ass people

VRMN

I read that there are no set rules on who can be a Supreme Court Justice but since Khizr Khan is a legal consultant from Harvard and we know he respects and understands the Constitution is it possible for him to be appointed as one?

Sure, but he won't be. In modern times you promote from within the judiciary.

it was such a weak ass argument though.

"All these republicans are standing against trump during these attacks".... but are still supporting him as the nominee and working to get him elected

Its a weak ass argument for weak ass people

That part yes. But I don't think many people are talking about how disgusting are all the new excuses for why Trump's comments are ok. The surrogates saying really gross stuff

sangreal

Let's not turn this guy into Joe the Plumber. Who knows what he thinks on any issue other than Trump being a piece of shit

They have little to lose at this point. It won't upset their base, and they still dominate every section of government except for the executive. Trump is a dumpster fire, but if he was not in the equation, a GOP win this year would be quite likely.

I remember being very happy with the election and inauguration of Obama in 2008/2009, only to see the pushback and obstructionism destroy the image of his campaign, and very nearly his reelection chances.

So if Hillary wins this November, I'm sure many will celebrate and breathe a sigh of relief. But I really warn you guys to expect the worst in the next four years, both on the domestic and international fronts. Along with rampant obstructionism, expect rampant skepticism about anything Hillary does, even from those on the left. See, half the reason the people overlook Obama's policy faults is because he is very likable and charismatic, arguably far more so than Hillary. His image kills cynicism and skepticism far more than anything else, especially overseas, and I say this as someone who is not American.

Unless victory in November is a total landslide, like 350EV+, expect a very tired and uphill battle for Hillary, all in preparation for the inevitable challenge in 2020. In four years a lot can happen that is outside of Clinton's control; another recession, EU breaking apart, more "scandals" and so on.

The GOP could run a campaign simply based on the notion that "12 years of Democratic presidents have not helped, it's time for a change", and that may resonate very well, especially as people get tired of the political process. At some point people start ignoring policies and start voting for change for the sake of change; usually when governments have been in power for more than two terms.

There's a real danger that the anti-establishment strain we are seeing now will only become more powerful over time, and Hillary is literally the embodiment of the establishment at this point. Trumpism may die in 2016, or it may not, but the anti-establishment sentiment will remain.

That being said, the biggest obstacle to a GOP victory in 2020 is very much their own voter base. If they keep nominating more extreme candidates they will not make it pass the line, and even if the candidate is fairly moderate like Romney it is problematic. Romney had to pivot from the primaries to the general and it did not work for him.

You could also argue that it's pointless to look so far ahead considering how unpredictable this year has been. Very true, I don't think anyone saw Trump coming.

BUT, I do remember reading posts on another forum in 2012 predicting the ingredients for the 2016 election perfectly. The poster stated how the demographic changes, the extremism of the Tea Party, faux outrage, made up scandals and "truthiness" was going to create a "monster" in 2016, which would then be outside of the party's control, and potentially fracture it.

The flip side to all this is that Obama's difficulties were extra demoralizing due to expectations.

At this point I expect a massive spike in job approval for Hillary if all she manages to do is not reveal her lizard face for four years.

gcubed

That part yes. But I don't think many people are talking about how disgusting are all the new excuses for why Trump's comments are ok. The surrogates saying really gross stuff

yes, but hey, i'm sure they make good money for selling their soul..;

the argument of "he's just defending himself" is a terrible argument, and if thats the best you can come up with, you are screwed

Random17

The flip side to all this is that Obama's difficulties were extra demoralizing due to expectations.

At this point I expect a massive spike in job approval for Hillary if all she manages to do is not reveal her lizard face for four years.

Nah, she's a very easy target, and without House control, the Democrats are screwed in terms of policy, while still bearing the responsibility for the direction of the country.

In the long term it is only inevitable that a GOP president will return for this reason alone. GOP is trying their damned hardest to make sure it's long term, though lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't care if Queen wins GA (she won't), but I will enjoy the fact that Trump has to actually defend it.

What surrogate do you even send to GA? Obama?

Uh, ya. I think. But, maybe not. Hmmm...

If we're going to fight for it, she should go, I think. But, Obama in Atlanta, ya. I think the benefit of fighting for it is forcing Trump to not be able to stay in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Bowdz

I posted it yesterday, but McAuliffe should appoint Khan as Kaine's Senate replacement in VA. The more I hear from Khan, the more impressed I become.

Kangi

Honestly, I'd make Trump play defense in Georgia but otherwise put the southern focus on Florida and North Carolina.

That said a blue Georgia would make this whole election cycle worth it.

I don't think going after Georgia really matters, but what does matter is that it's trending blue, and maybe we can use the 2016 election the same way we used the 2008 election for VA and NC to jumpstart their eventual trends.

We'll need it if PA and OH continue to drift redder.

I don't care if Queen wins GA (she won't), but I will enjoy the fact that Trump has to actually defend it.

I don't think Trump defends Georgia. If you lose GA on what planet do you win NC? If you lose NC you certainly lose VA. If you lose VA and NC you can't win.

At some point with the Trump campaign's resources you start to make assumptions on how you win.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Blue Georgia would make the GOP go "soul searching" again

That turned out great the last time

I don't think Trump defends Georgia. If you lose GA on what planet do you win NC? If you lose NC you certainly lose VA. If you lose VA and NC you can't win.

At some point with the Trump campaign's resources you start to make assumptions on how you win.

VA is a lost cause at this point.

But, you have to defend it because you can't afford to lose it. Like, if you let Hillary run unchecked...and she manages it...but you successfully defend NC, you're still fucked. Obviously, I don't think Trump has the resources to defend it, but you can't just look at state that's a lot closer than it should be and shrug and hope for the best.

I mean, I agree, in a world in which he loses Georgia, the race is called at 11:00pm, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom