• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best part of that Upshot page is the scenario mapper. Basically if Clinton wins Florida, Trump has to win all nine of the other most competitive states or pull in something off the list like Colorado or Wisconsin.

Yeah FL+PA is the firewall.

But Trump needs a lot of latino support in FL to even stand a chance.
I think the Clinton campaign understands the importance of FL, hence the VP announcement happening there,

What if all of this doesn't matter and Trump still gets 47% of the vote? What if Trump proves that all of the time, money, and effort spent running a campaign just isn't consequential and all that matters is having views that resonate with the base?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Reading Nate godcohn's new model write up (which was not written by him) is interesting. 53shi8 gives Hillary an 8% chance of getting less than 160 electoral votes? Wat?

Yeah FL+PA is the firewall.

But Trump needs a lot of latino support in FL to even stand a chance.
I think the Clinton campaign understands the importance of FL, hence the VP announcement happening there,

Hillary is also a better fit for Florida than Obama was, in my opinion. The Latino numbers are the same, but the ex-northerners in the far south are probably (consciously or otherwise) more trusting of a white woman than a black man.

That's just my cynical read, though.

Boke1879

Again. I'm glad the race looks closer. While I want Clinton to blow Trump out of the water I also don't want anyone to get complacent. She just needs to put in the work, get a good bump from the VP announcement and have a great DNC which she should have.

So, do we all agree that one of the Trump spawnlings was responsible for crafting that speech? I totally think one of his younglings had something to do with it. And, somehow, they're too stupid to just blame someone else in case the person talks.

Teggy

Look who's a tire fire again

Nick CorasanitiVerified account
‏@NYTnickc
Katrina Pierson, Trump camp spokeswoman: "This concept that Michelle Obama invented the English language is absurd."

Slayven

So, do we all agree that one of the Trump spawnlings was responsible for crafting that speech? I totally think one of his younglings had something to do with it. And, somehow, they're too stupid to just blame someone else in case the person talks.

It is the only thing that makes sense

qfi2hgbk9zavk5x1eqvf.jpg

Dude on the right's fly was open.

HAHAHAHA

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
What if all of this doesn't matter and Trump still gets 47% of the vote? What if Trump proves that all of the time, money, and effort spent running a campaign just isn't consequential and all that matters is having views that resonate with the base?

This is a very real polisci inquiry into this election. But not for nothing -- "views that resonate with the base" don't come from nowhere. They're crafted over years, decades. The base is pushed and manipulated over time through numerous channels. Events, feedback, and outcomes do play into this.

So while Trump might dispel some larger myths around presidential politics and minutiae, 'this' all still matters and is a result of decades of racist, bigoted fear-mongering. The candidate still matters, the platform still matters, leadership still matters.

Hillary is also a better fit for Florida than Obama was, in my opinion. The Latino numbers are the same, but the ex-northerners in the far south are probably (consciously or otherwise) more trusting of a white woman than a black man.

That's just my cynical read, though.

Well unless there's a mass white turnout for Trump, he'll need %40+ of the latino vote in Florida. Haven't seen anything in the Florida polls that shows he's even close to that.
So that plus the ex-northerners should push her across the line.

Trump is so fucking stupid and petty when he continues to attack Kasich.

The Melania speech is all over my Facebook now and my feed has typically remained mostly quiet since the primaries ended.

Yep.
I'm just catching up for all of this and it's incredible. Double-down, denials, etc.

popcorn.gif

Given that their strategy of denial is going to drag out Melania's humiliation, and given how amateurish it was, I think it was a Trumpling who did the plagiarizing, probably Kushner. I haven't heard of any other of them getting involved in the speechwriting process.

Chichikov

I need video of Chachi getting roasted
I believe this is it -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZiwmL_1b3M

BTW, if you're wondering, Chachi is right and Obama did in fact say that "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun". Yeah, it's totally out of context, but so was Tamron's Trump quote.
Really, the whole exchange was stupid, fuck, the fact that we're talking to Scott Baio about politics is stupid.
Fuck, the fact that we talk to Scott fucking Baio in 2016 is stupid.

Geg

Well unless there's a mass white turnout for Trump, he'll need %40+ of the latino vote in Florida. Haven't seen anything in the Florida polls that shows he's even close to that.

Think attacking Kasich will hurt him among Ohio voters?

Think attacking Kasich will hurt him among Ohio voters?

Absolutely, in a tight swing state he shouldn't be antagonizing the popular Governor. OTOH, he was the republican candidate that won his state with the biggest difference to Trump (could be wrong, though).
And besides, what's the benefit in trashing Kasich, outside of ego?

Grief.exe

Did CNN and MsNBc order a pair of balls recently?

Maybe watching the speeches at the RNC last night woke them up to just how scary this right wing rhetoric actually is.

The constant fear mongering and lack of accountability last night was legitimately scary to watch.

digdug2k

Holy cow. Some republican stooge on NPR's forum this morning literally said "David Duke is a racist. Steve King is a racist. But we need to accept them into the party anyway."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Except for quin (which Is real) and some partisan pollsters, Hillary has been up comfortably in Florida.

pigeon

Banned

So here's my Kremlinology. Costa has this:

wapo said:
It was not immediately clear who was responsible for helping to craft Melania Trump’s remarks since the Trump campaign speechwriting operation is not like most traditional presidential campaigns with a small staff and a narrow chain of command. Instead, the Trump campaign has one main speechwriter, Stephen Miller, and relies on other Trump associates for input. In recent days, for example, Manafort has consulted with two former Reagan speechwriters, Ben T. Elliott and Peter Robinson, on Trump’s upcoming acceptance speech but that pair is not formally part of the campaign.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?postshare=7551468938299633&tid=ss_tw

So a couple of important takeaways here.

First, Trump can't fire his speechwriter. He literally only has ONE SPEECHWRITER. There's nobody to let go!

Secondly, "relies on other Trump associates for input" is a pretty telling phrase, especially with what we know about how Trump works -- that he takes statements that have been drafted and punches them up with adjectives himself.

I suspect that Miller does speeches, circulates them, and then EVERYBODY IN THE TRUMP CIRCLE puts in their edits and suggestions and he pretty much has to just incorporate them. If you've ever worked at a dysfunctional startup, too much input from everybody is a classic problem that destroys effectiveness, because although theoretically "everybody has a voice" in practice it just multiplies the number of executives you have to listen to even though they don't know what they're talking about.

So Miller did a speech. A bunch of people mailed in edits, probably all the Trump kids and friends and whatever. He put them in. One of those edits was probably these Michelle lines. Oops! Committee speechwriting at its finest.

HylianTom

Banned
Just think: if this plagiarism incident hadn't popped-up, how do you think the media would've covered Day 1 today? I'd bet any amount of money that they'd gloss-over the nastier moments.

Slayven

Just think: if this plagiarism incident hadn't popped-up, how do you think the media would've covered Day 1 today? I'd bet any amount of money that they'd gloss-over the nastier moments.

Probably a mild circle jerk, sprinkled with the never trump shit show.

Except for quin (which Is real) and some partisan pollsters, Hillary has been up comfortably in Florida.

True, but I think some of us are a bit nervous due to how close 2012 (and 2000...) was and the Trump "factor".

She wins Florida and IMO it's over.

Not making this up:

There's a norovirus outbreak reported among RNC staffers/attendees at the convention.

https://www.statnews.com/2016/07/19/norovirus-republican-convention-cleveland/

We need boils and frogs next.

Obviously I'm not going to wish sickness on anyone simply for being a member of the GOP, but what are the chances of this causing the more bigoted speakers to cancel their speeches due to sickness. I assume even if a speaker got affected, they would cancel before risking vomiting on stage.

Obviously I'm not going to wish sickness on anyone simply for being a member of the GOP, but what are the chances of this causing the more bigoted speakers to cancel their speeches due to sickness. I assume even if a speaker got affected, they would cancel before risking vomiting on stage.

Didn't you watch last night? A lot of people took a massive shit on that stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom