• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

Holy cow. Some republican stooge on NPR's forum this morning literally said "David Duke is a racist. Steve King is a racist. But we need to accept them into the party anyway."

"David Duke is dead. Steve King is dead. I'm dead."

True, but I think some of us are a bit nervous due to how close 2012 (and 2000...) was and the Trump "factor".

She wins Florida and IMO it's over.

The question is really how big the Florida margin is. If it's huge the election will be called so damn early.

Saw this in a Boston Globe article I just read, and it's kind of an interesting theory from a RNC delegate (the entire article is here http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...elania-trump-speech-snafu-not-unintentional):

Boston Globe said:
Jim Rappaport, a Kasich delegate, former state party chairman, and longtime Massachusetts political player said, “The Trumps don’t do a lot by accident.”​

Asked directly if he thinks the campaign put the similarities in the Melania Trump speech on purpose, Rappaport, who said Trump has not yet earned his support, smiled slightly.

“I believe,” he said, searching for words for a moment, “it was not unintentional.”

“This also fits totally into the Trump narrative,” said Rappaport, who was the GOP nominee for US Senate against John Kerry in the 1990. “Because the press is going to jump all over this — they’re not going to talk about [former New York City mayor and Monday night convention speaker Rudy] Giuliani ... they’re not going to talk about four parents who lost children murdered by illegal immigrants, they’re going to talk about this. And he’s going to basically do the narrative that the media is unfair.”

Slacker

(Good Morning America) @LauraSGoldman: #melaniatrump is so pissed off over speech debacle she might not come back for the rest of #RNCinCLE She wants to bring back @CLewandowski_

With how they handled this, the campaign pretty much has to keep Melania away from reporters for the rest of the convention, and maybe weeks after. This really is an amazing meltdown over a relatively minor thing.

"David Duke is dead. Steve King is dead. I'm dead."

The question is really how big the Florida margin is. If it's huge the election will be called so damn early.

Networks will be a bit cautious to call Florida early.

Ben SmithVerified account
‏@BuzzFeedBen
Ran into Newt, who says the Melania mess is "entirely made up by the news media"

You twat, VP dream is over.

Saw this in a Boston Globe article I just read, and it's kind of an interesting theory from a RNC delegate (the entire article is here http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...elania-trump-speech-snafu-not-unintentional):

I do not think this is even 2 dimensional chess. It's checkers, and Trump just suffered a double jump.

Yes, he'll say the media is unfair. But this undermined the Law and Order angle where he might have gained a little ground on Clinton.

so basically we have direct sources saying trump and melania are freaking pissed but their talking heads are runign around saying it was either:

1) intentional and supposed to screw with the media
2) not a big deal b/c michelle stole it too
3) an amazing speech

Holmes

I had a dream where I was in a public restroom stall and Castro came in the restroom, so I pretended to be Obama to get him to spill who Clinton's running mate will be.

teiresias

My Facebook feed is going ham over the Melania speech memes. It's really fairly impressive.

X7jPHCF.jpg

I had a dream where I was in a public restroom stall and Castro came in the restroom, so I pretended to be Obama to get him to spill who Clinton's running mate will be.

Sure, girl. That's what you dreamed about. With you and Castro in a bathroom. Uh-huh. I believe you.

tumblr_nl07mkTehR1rb35s0o1_250.gif

I fail to see who this is a good thing. Even if they don't focus on some of the other events or speakers, this just looks embarrassing for the campaign, GOP, RNC, the convention, and the Trumps. I don't know why they would intentionally do that.

Some reports say that Trump is angry and his wife might be too. It doesn't look like the intentionally did it, or if they did it looks like it backfired so badly.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
One RNC speech from yesterday that I missed until I saw some highlights was the retired Navy Seal, Luttrell, who said

"The world outside of our borders is a dark and scary place. America is the light."

As a foreigner living in a foreign country I find that both insulting and a demonstration of how close minded the American Right can be about other countries and what they have to offer.

Has this guy literally only traveled to Afghanistan in order to form such an opinion?

The plagiarism thing is a non story to me, but the response to it is becoming one. Jesus.
I think the response is a large part of what's making it blow up so much. If they had come out and admitted that one of the writing staff had screwed up (intentionally or otherwise), it's at least an attempt to put it behind you. By continually denying the similarities, they're just making things look worse. This isn't something that's up to interpretation, it's a clear copy-and-paste made all the more damning by the side-by-side comparison.

Trump's team seems to have this chronic issue where they have to double down on everything they do rather than admit they made a mistake. Much like that tweet where they insisted everyone was being "too politically correct" over an image that was obviously anti-semitic in origin.

One RNC speech from yesterday that I missed until I saw some highlights was the retired Navy Seal, Luttrell, who said

"The world outside of our borders is a dark and scary place. America is the light."

As a foreigner living in a foreign country I find that both insulting and a demonstration of how close minded the American Right can be about other countries and what they have to offer.

Has this guy literally only traveled to Afghanistan in order to form such an opinion?

The guy has been through a lot, I'd give him a pass

this is from the daily mail twitter so take it with a grain of salt:

Sources say Rick Gates is responsible for Melania’s convention speech dailym.ai/2a9pRRC

Named: Donald Trump aide who let Melania speak Michelle Obama's words – campaign chairman's former lobbying partner faces calls to be sacked as Republican's camp is plunged into civil war
-Multiple sources say Rick Gates was responsible for approving Melania Trump's Monday night speech but he tells CNN it's 'absolutely not' true
-Trump official was formerly a lobbying firm partner of campaign chairman Paul Manafort
-Online sleuths quickly found a half-dozen lines that appeared cribbed from Michelle Obama's 2008 Democratic National Convention address
-Republican Party chairman and Manafort himself say they would fire someone who plagiarized portions of a political speech
-Axed rival Corey Lewandowski said he would expect to see Manafort quit, but it appears there may be no heads rolling
-Insiders said there's 'zero chance' Melania recognized Michelle's words in her own speech: 'Somebody failed her and no one is defending her now

From Manafort comments to Steve King comments to RNC convention mess to the Melania Speech to Megyn Kelly backing up Roger Ailes Harassment (and his impending firing), this week has been beyond a dumpster file for the Conservative movement. This is literally a break down of order and unity in the party.

I found out what people are talking about when they accused Michelle of also plagiarizing.

Breitbart said:
In 2008, the aspiring First Lady was accused by bloggers of lifting lines for her DNC speech from Saul Alinsky. Alinsky wrote, in Rules for Radicals (emphasis added): “The standards of judgment must be rooted in the whys and wherefores of life as it is lived, the world as it is, not our wished-for fantasy of the world as it should be.” Michelle Obama said: “And Barack stood up that day, and he spoke words that have stayed with me ever since. He talked about ‘the world as it is‘ and ‘the world as it should be.'”

It's fucking nothing!

Do your fucking job Wolf Blitzer
Come on. Everyone knows that one day, CNN drug Wolf Blitzer out of an abandoned locked chest in the studio's basement and said "for the rest of your life, you'll cover airplane crashes and celebrity news".

Most of our pundits are such cowards, letting people say absolute nonsense with very little push back.

Funny that CNN.com is just hammering Trump Campaign with headlines like "Plagiarized" "Stolen Words" and now "Campaign: Nothing to See Here..."

Why the pundits won't risk this aggressiveness that the main staff will, I don't know...

Wolf Blitzer has absolutely no balls

The media at these conventions are basically just relation arms for the party, they don't want to lose their precious access revoked. They are just there to analyze the speeches, mostly positively I may add, and parrot whatever the RNC tells them. The DNC will be about the same in all likelihood.

It's all just phrases man! PHRASES.

Also her meaningless phrases that everyone says is phenomenal and we should applaud her more.

Yeah I can just push back with saying: it's not just about the common phrases, it's about the order of the words and the cadence and the overall point she was trying to make...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom