• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see who this is a good thing. Even if they don't focus on some of the other events or speakers, this just looks embarrassing for the campaign, GOP, RNC, the convention, and the Trumps. I don't know why they would intentionally do that.

Some reports say that Trump is angry and his wife might be too. It doesn't look like the intentionally did it, or if they did it looks like it backfired so badly.

I don't think it's a good thing, just found it interesting that this is the way that at least some RNC delegates view the whole speech thing.

Not making this up:

There's a norovirus outbreak reported among RNC staffers/attendees at the convention.

https://www.statnews.com/2016/07/19/norovirus-republican-convention-cleveland/

We need boils and frogs next.

KDJf1nv.jpg

It's almost a victory for republicans that the plagiarism is the center story instead of the rampant racism and xenophobia from yesterday, especially Steve King's comments. Not to mention the mini revolt against Trump.

It's almost a victory for republicans that the plagiarism is the center story instead of the rampant racism and xenophobia from yesterday, especially Steve King's comments. Not to mention the mini revolt against Trump.

Well, based off the end of night coverage I think today would have been the press focusing on Melania's speech helping humanize Trump as that was the intended narrative. I am guessing those issues will get just as much play as they would have otherwise (very little).

It's interesting: I don't know if racism and xenophobia really hurts him as much as this story does. Steve King isn't saying anything that everyone doesn't already realize GOP officials believe. I believe that it wouldn't really sway undecided voters, who at this point are making peace with Trump's (and the GOP's) racism simply by considering a vote for him.

On the other hand, this plagiarism thing is making Trump's management skills look bush league with his response, which I think actually does have a chance of getting through to some of these voters who were ready to accept the racism, sexism, and xenophobia from the Trump campaign in order to vote for someone they perceive as a businessman and thus an management expert.

Slacker

That's not a victory. Racism and xenophobia are two of their main selling points this year. If those messages didn't make it to the people than maybe yesterday really was a failure.

Trump's supporters are the saddest people in the world. This is their response on Twitter to Melania's theft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2veRFA_cuf4

"I'm not asking you to take a chance on me."

"I'm not just asking you to take a chance on me."

These have literally opposite meanings.

*Shows woman reciting famous quote*
*Show Obama reciting same famous quote*

I'm fucking cackling.

I think the plagiarism stuff hurts more because it runs against his brand. My working theory is that Trump doesn't mind being seen as a racist or hate monger as long as he is seen as a strong racist or a strong hate monger. Even the fact that he brutally put down dissenters works for his brand. He wants to project strength and confidence at all costs.

Stealing ideas from Michelle Obama makes him look pathetic. That sticks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump's supporters are the saddest people in the world. This is their response on Twitter to Melania's theft:

I'm fucking cackling.

I mean, nobody is dumb enough to fall for this, right?

Nate Cohn retweeted this:

David CataneseVerified account
‏@davecatanese
Larry Kudlow: "I spoke to John McLaughlin this morning -- the great pollster(!) -- and the overnights from NBC show New York State EVEN."

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm fucking cackling.
If you're explaining you're losing. Its a shitty political adage but its true.

I mean they're all on TV going literally insane quoting My Little Pony and shit so I don't know how much of a victory this is.

I think the plagiarism stuff hurts more because it runs against his brand. My working theory is that Trump doesn't mind being seen as a racist or hate monger as long as he is seen as a strong racist or a strong hate monger. Even the fact that he brutally put down dissenters works for his brand. He wants to project strength and confidence at all costs.

I agree 100%. Once Trump is defined as a joke by 60% of voters, there's nothing he can do to recover. Plus not being taken seriously is the thing he hates the most, if you believe the profiles.

HylianTom

Banned
Not-quite-random thought:

Y'know how Hillary is pretty often polling well among college-educated voters? I wonder if there's a difference in response to this plagiarism incident between college-educated voters and non-college-educated voters.

Everyone who went to college has heard the whole "plagiarism is the devil" lecture a gazillion times before they've graduated, so I wish a pollster would measure if there's a relationship between these factors..

ampere

I need to know what is happening in this photo.

Obama and Biden endorsed Harris.

our future queen

I love her.

Y'know how Hillary is pretty often polling well among college-educated voters? I wonder if there's a difference in response to this plagiarism incident between college-educated voters and non-college-educated voters.

Everyone who went to college has heard the whole "plagiarism is the devil" lecture a gazillion times before they've graduated, so I wish a pollster would measure if there's a relationship between these factors..

Could be interesting. I think the biggest negative thing with all this is the response though. Melania being blamed and nobody taking responsibility is pathetic

I don't know how it is every where but we were at the very least failed immediately in a class If not suspended from school for plagiarism in high school.

The internet pretty much changed high school plagiarism checks because it's so easy to put papers through websites now

At the least it's showing Trump's crisis management skills and he's failing. He wants to barrell through the controversy by blaming the usual suspects (political correctness, media, etc) but it seems he's not able to break through this time.

Gonna guess Kaine for VP

anyone know how a successor is chosen for Virginia senate seat? Governor pick?
Governor pick until next election. With a caveat:

"If the vacancy occurs before a specified date preceding the regular primary (HI: 60 days; MN: 6 weeks; NJ: 30 days; NY: 59 days; VA: 12 days), the election is held in the following November; if the vacancy occurs within the specified period preceding the regular primary, the vacancy election is held at the second November election after the vacancy occurs."

Governor pick until next election. With a caveat:

"If the vacancy occurs before a specified date preceding the regular primary (HI: 60 days; MN: 6 weeks; NJ: 30 days; NY: 59 days; VA: 12 days), the election is held in the following November; if the vacancy occurs within the specified period preceding the regular primary, the vacancy election is held at the second November election after the vacancy occurs."
So it would be a McAuliffe appointment until Nov 2017.

I dunno about you guys but I would feel better about holding Warren's seat in a special election in April 2017 than Kaine's in November 2017.

I think Hillary is going to win by double-digits and doesn't really have to worry about making a flashy or strategic VP pick, so I wish that she'd avoid choosing a senator and instead choose a Democratic governor from a solidly-blue state at the state level. This way, you don't lose a Democratic governor in a swing state, and you don't lose a senator who you'll need to confirm, say, Goodwin Liu when you try to get him past the Senate and into The Notorious R.B.G.'s seat.

kirblar

I think Hillary is going to win by double-digits and doesn't really have to worry about making a flashy or strategic VP pick, so I wish that she'd avoid choosing a senator and instead choose a Democratic governor from a solidly-blue state at the state level. This way, you don't lose a Democratic governor in a swing state, and you don't lose a senator who you'll need to confirm, say, Goodwin Liu when you try to get him past the Senate and into The Notorious R.B.G.'s seat.
This is the rationale that gets you a Hickenlooper pick.

At the least it's showing Trump's crisis management skills and he's failing. He wants to barrell through the controversy by blaming the usual suspects (political correctness, media, etc) but it seems he's not able to break through this time.

Each time he tries it, it gets a little harder. He is losing momentum and momentum is all he really has. It's why he won't stop talking about his Primary victories.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I go the exact opposite. The race is tight and Hillary's unfavorables aren't dropping. She needs a non-vanilla VP that can help bring in more voters.

Grief.exe

Sounds like Hickenlooper.

This is the rationale that gets you a Hickenlooper pick.

Which I'd actually be perfectly fine with, but CO is still maybe too much of a risk to vote for a Republican governor due to Co. Springs and some other, redder areas in the state. I was thinking that you'd want to make a pick like that from a deep blue state like WA, OR, HI.

No one gives a shit about the VP in most elections, and in this election, everyone already knows who they're voting for; the undecideds are just not declaring that they'll vote for Clinton or Trump. The binary choice in this election is staggeringly obvious, even moreso than in 2008.

In this environment, Clinton should pick in a way that does no harm to the Senate majority that she'll need to get a few things done in her first hundred days.

There's no way Hillary picks someone named Hickenlooper. I know nothing about the guy, he could be great and all, but that ticket just sounds ridiculous.

Why do you guys all hate HA Goodman so much? I don't know anything about him but noticed my Bernie Bro friend just posted one of his articles.

I'd love to explain why Goodman is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom