• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
http://www.democracycorps.com/National-Surveys/

Same polling company that gave Clinton +5 in Florida last week.

This more or less matches what's been said in this thread. Trump's not gaining significantly, Clinton is losing votes. Those are people who were clearly willing to vote for Clinton, so they can be won. It's just a question of convincing them to get back.

Trump has a much smaller pool of people who are clearly willing to vote for Trump but haven't yet committed to doing so. That's his ceiling.

So the campaign brought in two writers for the speech. The speech she delivered had nothing in common with the speech that she delivered. It was totes the Trump spawn who did this. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Yep.

Dan Balz ‏@danbalz 18m18 minutes ago
Trump campaign asked Matt Scully, John McConnell to draft Melania speech. They did. Speech Monday bore almost no resemblance to the draft.

Ophelion

Republicans tend to repeat themselves and use buzzwords.

Everyone does that. It's just message control.

See: Bernie Sanders for most recent strong example on the left.

Edit: or is this a "that's the joke" moment? Maybe I'm just stupid. Always have to leave room for that option.

Geg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahChgL85VF8

Colbert had a great opener song last night.

This week you will see
You and me
We will witness history
As the RNC crowns its orange manatee

We'll see wacky hats, crazy ties, worn by thousands white guys.
And an entire airplane hanger filled with Donald Trump's ex-wives.
We'll see Newt Ron and Rand (and maybe members of the Klan)
But no Muslims or Latinos because I think they've all been banned!

There's only one bit near the end I couldn't totally understand, *someone* in the bathroom yelling why?

I mean the FBI Director literally came out and said "OH MY GOD BISH IS CARELESS" and yet....she's still winning. I feel like that was her low point. We have no where to go but up. Plus, I don't think Johnson is going to get more than 5% nationally. (I'd actually peg it at 2%).

Plus I'm not completely sold the national race won't appear a lot tighter than the Electoral College.

CCS

Banned

This week you will see
You and me
We will witness history

This is amazing.

21st Century Fox said that reports on Tuesday that Roger Ailes was out at Fox News were premature.
Roger is at work. The review is ongoing. The only agreement that is in place is his existing employment agreement," a statement from the company said.
On Tuesday afternoon, The Drudge Report reported that Ailes was leaving Fox News with a reported $40 million golden parachute, according to a copy of a separation agreement. That report was subsequently confirmed by a handful of news outlets. Fox initially confirmed the departure to The Daily Beast, but subsequently walked back the confirmation, and now Fox says it is not accurate.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/07/roger-ailes-to-leave-fox-news-225824#ixzz4EtLo13w6
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

lolz. Republicans anywhere can't keep up one single cohesive position.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I think Melania just tried writing the speech herself.

That's my guess too.

I suspect given English isn't her first language she leaned on looking at other relevant speeches and catch phrases she might have heard or looked up, lifted a few passages, made a few changes and assumed nobody would notice. If you aren't used to public speaking especially in this context then it might be easy to assume whatever you say isn't going to be subject to much scrutiny, especially if your husband has been able to say pretty much whatever he wanted for the last year without apparent negative repercussions.

Would be interesting to see if it is revealed anything else from the speech is plagiarized beyond Michelle Obama and Rick Astley.

pigeon

Banned
That's so weird. So Johnson is more of a spoiler for Clinton than Trump?

There are more people who will say "I prefer some third option right now, but if it came down to it, I'd go with Clinton."

Trump is a crazy incompetent racist. There just aren't a bunch of people who are like "well, I guess if I really had to, I'd vote for Idiot Hitler." Most of the people who say anybody but Trump really mean it.

Tarkus

Shit, I'll take this.

No Shepard Smith, though. Deal?
No deal. Shepard Smith is the greatest news anchor of our time. This guy is going to be huge one day. He's also gay.

I want a skewering, but more fact-based show with queen Megyn at 8, and hard news with Shep at 9. I'd watch every night. Greta and Brett are fine. Get Gutfeld for 10.

That's so weird. So Johnson is more of a spoiler for Clinton than Trump?

It's probably just because people have no clue who the hell Johnson is, but if they're 100% not Trump, and only meh towards Hillary, any port in a storm.

Typically, they read the options

If the election were being held today, and the candidates were Hillary Clinton, the Democrat, and Donald Trump, the Republican, for whom would you vote?

It just shows she has a higher ceiling than Trump does.

sangreal

So the campaign brought in two writers for the speech. The speech she delivered had nothing in common with the speech that they delivered. It was totes the Trump spawn who did this. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Explains why they won't hold anyone accountable

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Just fire Manafort and forge forward alone Donny. You don't need anyone!
Just shitpost to November.

#ShitpostToNovember2016

This week you will see
You and me
We will witness history

That's a fantastic opener.

I think Melania just tried writing the speech herself.

I don't buy this, both because I've never seen anything from Melania that suggests she could write a ticket order at a restaurant, let alone a speech, and because of all the reports of how Melania's speech was considered to be so very important by Trump.

My guess is that somebody, maybe one of his kids, butted in and wrote a speech, pulled the lines from the Michelle Obama speech that they intended to rephrase because they liked the idea of talking about down-home values since Melania is perceived as an airhead trophy wife, then just forgot to do so. Either that, or they watched the Michelle Obama speech for inspiration, got the phrasing stuck in their subconscious (as someone who writes, it does happen), then unthinkingly regurgitated it when they were writing Melania's speech.

Geg

I don't buy this, both because I've never seen anything from Melania that suggests she could write a ticket order at a restaurant, let alone a speech, and because of all the reports of how Melania's speech was considered to be so very important by Trump.

My guess is that somebody, maybe one of his kids, butted in and wrote a speech, pulled the lines from the Michelle Obama speech that they intended to rephrase, then just forgot to do so. Either that, or they watched the Michelle Obama speech for inspiration, got the phrasing stuck in their subconscious (as someone who writes, it does happen), then unthinkingly regurgitated it when they were writing Melania's speech.
That feels way too specific to have just been accidentally regurgitated. Plus a lot of it was rephrased, just poorly and lazily.

That feels way too specific to have just been accidentally regurgitated. Plus a lot of it was rephrased, just poorly and lazily.

The similarity was like 22/26 words, with a few words elided, and a few others rearranged, which is not so absurdly large that it couldn't be called upon accidentally. I guess it could have been maliciously plagiarized, with the person who did it just too stupid to know how to change something to prevent people from noticing it was originally something else, but man, there's stupid, and there's STUPID, and even for Donald Trump's campaign, that would be stupid, especially since it wasn't even a particularly good bit of writing they were stealing.

CnwiZJqWIAAP75T.jpg:large

lol

The similarity was like 22/26 words, with a few words elided, and a few others rearranged, which is not so absurdly large that it couldn't be called upon accidentally. I guess it could have been maliciously plagiarized, with the person who did it just too stupid to know how to change something to prevent people from noticing it was originally something else, but man, there's stupid, and there's STUPID, and even for Donald Trump's campaign, that would be stupid, especially since it wasn't even a particularly good bit of writing they were stealing.

Turn It In said the chances of it being accident were 1 in a trillion.

itschris

Jamelle Bouie
‏@jbouie

Another tweet from my fav series of the RNC, "Republicans predict November."

qsv5zeQ.jpg

Here's another one! Folks really think Trump will win New York.

MMyutw9.jpg

You can't tell from the photo, but in this one NH and VT are R.

zAfVJFl.jpg

Hehe.

Turn It In said the chances of it being accident were 1 in a trillion.

An accident in the sense of having used the exact same phrasing by chance, sure. An accident in the sense of "I just watched the Michelle Obama speech and wanted to include this section similar to what she did but don't realize that her phrasing is in my head" is not something you can really put a likelihood on, though. My money's on the "included the passage, started to edit it, then moved on to other shit and forgot to come back to it" hypothesis, myself, but I'm just saying, people acting like it's SO impossible that it could have been a genuine lapse are being silly. Of course, why nobody at the campaign thought to put the speech through a Turn It In or some other kind of check, first, is beyond me.

OK, so we are staying at the other *other* hotel-with-water-park this year. But we stayed at that one the last couple of years.

wait, *which* hotel-with-water-park in Sandusky are we talking about here

(because I'm pretty sure I've literally stayed in all of them at this point thanks to that convention in June)

e: okay I'm surprised it was *that* one in particular that had the norovirus outbreak, usually it's the one on the other side of route 2 that's a big, fat mess

wait, *which* hotel-with-water-park in Sandusky are we talking about here

(because I'm pretty sure I've literally stayed in all of them at this point thanks to that convention in June)

e: okay I'm surprised it was *that* one in particular that had the norovirus outbreak, usually it's the one on the other side of route 2 that's a big, fat mess

Great Wolf Lodge?

I was only thinking of that one and Kalahari, I've stayed at both.

Iolo

An accident in the sense of having used the exact same phrasing by chance, sure. An accident in the sense of "I just watched the Michelle Obama speech and wanted to include this section similar to what she did but don't realize that her phrasing is in my head" is not something you can really put a likelihood on, though.

That simply beggars belief; the writer would need an absolutely exceptional memory to get all those words right in order without conscious repetition.

The My Little Pony stuff really demonstrates a problem with the new GOP. As Republican campaigns become more connected to the alt-right, you're going to fucking weirder and weirder comparisons because, along with being NeoNazis, the alt-right is weird as fuck so you end up with people on TV deciding that talking about MLP is a good idea because they're weird people.

Trump's campaign is going to probably reference something regarding "best girl" by November.

That simply beggars belief; the writer would need an absolutely exceptional memory to get all those words right in order without conscious repetition.

Maybe, as an actor who often has lines memorized by the first or second rehearsal, my perspective is different, but 22 words, especially when they have a rhetorical pattern, are not impossibly many to stick in your head, for this or that stupid reason. Again, I'm not saying that's the likeliest option, just that it's another possibility, and I'd be inclined to believe that over "they plagiarized it all on purpose".

The My Little Pony stuff really demonstrates a problem with the new GOP. As Republican campaigns become more connected to the alt-right, you're going to fucking weirder and weirder comparisons because, along with being NeoNazis, the alt-right is weird as fuck so you end up with people on TV deciding that talking about MLP is a good idea because they're weird people.

Trump's campaign is going to probably reference something regarding "best girl" by November.
Waifus? And if that is brought up.. I might die.

Farmboy

Maybe, as an actor who often has lines memorized by the first or second rehearsal, my perspective is different, but 22 words, especially when they have a rhetorical pattern, are not impossibly many to stick in your head, for this or that stupid reason. Again, I'm not saying that's the likeliest option, just that it's another possibility, and I'd be inclined to believe that over "they plagiarized it all on purpose".

I agree that most scenarios are more likely than 'they did it on purpose', except of course 'it's not plagiarism, it's a coincidence HEY LOOK A MAGICAL PONY'.

But I do think it's more likely that it started out being a direct copy/paste job that they meant to rewrite and, for some reason or other, a non-rewritten version ended up on the prompter. Either because they actually forgot to rewrite it, or they sent the wrong version to the prompter.

I think that's more likely than them having the 2008 speech in their head and accidentally writing it down near-verbatim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom