• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrow

Plagiarism-gate is fun and all but I wish people were more focused on the blatant White supremacy and the encouragement of putting Hillary through a kangaroo court.

You're assuming they would even talk about that. Instead they'd be praising how Melania humanized Donald Trump and that this is the pivot everyone has been asking for.

Goodstyle

I'm beginning to worry about her getting assassinated the same way I worried when Obama was gonna be president. The way they talked about her in the convention, the blatant lying by Christie and the "Guilty/NotGuilty" thing. It's actually pretty frightening.

Secret Service better be working double time for her, I swear to God.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Geezus. I would *hope* that any moderates paying attention are gonna be put off by this language. It's getting scary and ridiculous. It's almost like they are unloading the more extreme stuff that they wanted to hurl at Obama but couldn't because they didn't wanna sound racist.

Sexism is more OK in America than racism, so yeah.

Plagiarism-gate is fun and all but I wish people were more focused on the blatant White supremacy and the encouragement of putting Hillary through a kangaroo court.
I agree but unfortunately I think that would just be treated as the norm at this point.

The media has to pretend that both sides have some level of validity, even if one of them has completely gone off the deep end. The plagiarism scandal might hit closer to home for journalists.

Jake Tapper ‏@jaketapper 2m2 minutes ago
.@MaeveReston: Trump in-house staffer Meredith McIver accepts responsibility for plagiarism in Melania Trump speech, offers resignation.

So, will they move on?

Cn0mVmEXEAASgcK.jpg:large

The plagiarism thing probably would have blown over by now--at least outside of more liberal news sources--if the Trump PR people weren't dogshit. That statement they released accomplished literally nothing.

If they didn't try and do Obama in they won't try and do it to her. I'm not overly worried about it, in 2008 it actually scared me but now I feel like it's not a big fear.

On the other hand the hatred that has been building for all these years with people like Trump inflaming it further, I felt like the GOP last night hates Clinton even more than they hate Obama.

DrMungo

I agree but unfortunately I think that would just be treated as the norm at this point.

The media has to pretend that both sides have some level of validity, even if one of them has completely gone off the deep end. The plagiarism scandal might hit closer to home for journalists.

Unfortunately, it has been no surprise that the tone has taken this direction. This was the tone since Trump had his first announcement regarding Mexicans. The media unfortunately will also put forward a false equivalency no matter how crazy the platform.

The plagiarism thing sticks because it is 1) lowest common denominator stuff; 2) a concrete and visible example of dishonesty 3) they cribbed from someone they have been bashing for 8 years. If this was lifted from ie, Nancy Reagan, it would not be that big of a deal.

Where's Bernie? Isn't he supposed to be out there doing everything he can? Come on bro.

I wonder what his DNC speech will be like.

His job right now is to rest and work on his DNC speech. You are going to have plenty of opportunities to criticize Sanders over the next 5 months, don't reach on this one. He is doing exactly what he should be right now.

It's weird that Jerry Ford was one of the few presidents with multiple assassination attempts. Jerry Ford is a pretty uninspiring (either for love or hate) figure other than his pardoning of Richard Nixon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
On the other hand the hatred that has been building for all these years with people like Trump inflaming it further, I felt like the GOP last night hates Clinton even more than they hate Obama.

Well yea, but if they didn't try and kill her so far I doubt they'll try when she's in office.

I feel like they waited too long for this sacrifice to diffuse things. Especially since the convention has provided almost nothing to work with in terms of news. It's just a Clinton-hatefest.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So it wasn't plagiarism, but then they release a statement from the person saying they plagiarized.

Ok.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
People already knew Steve King was a piece of shit and Chris Christie was a nutter. The biggest theme they have on Clinton is that she's seen as dishonest. They sent the would-be First Lady out there and handed her a PLAGIARIZED speech, that she said she wrote. That's a huge blow to the 1 card they had. They can't win on policy, so they basically shot themselves in the foot on day 1.

You're assuming they would even talk about that. Instead they'd be praising how Melania humanized Donald Trump and that this is the pivot everyone has been asking for.

Unfortunately, it has been no surprise that the tone has taken this direction. This was the tone since Trump had his first announcement regarding Mexicans. The media unfortunately will also put forward a false equivalency no matter how crazy the platform.

The plagiarism thing sticks because it is 1) lowest common denominator stuff; 2) a concrete and visible example of dishonesty 3) they cribbed from someone they have been bashing for 8 years. If this was lifted from ie, Nancy Reagan, it would not be that big of a deal.

Hmm, good points, actually.

pigeon

Banned
Even that explanation still casts blame on Melania. It shows that she absolutely knew that the speech contained plagiarism.

Lol, good catch. I didn't even spot that.

1. Melania reads a passage over the phone to Meredith.
2. Meredith puts that passage verbatim in speech.
3. Melania...doesn't notice that the passage she just read out loud over the phone is now in the speech?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lol, good catch. I didn't even spot that.

1. Melania reads a passage over the phone to Meredith.
2. Meredith puts that passage verbatim in speech.
3. Melania...doesn't notice that the passage she just read out loud over the phone is now in the speech?

I did a double take while reading through it. It's pretty obvious that at the very least she never bothered to give it a read before reciting it.

Mike Pence even claimed that the Anthrax attacks were from Saddam:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pence-anthrax-20160717-20160715-snap-story.html

This guy wanted war with Iraq so badly.

Holy crap, Trump just kneecapped himself so hard.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The level of hate and rage from the right at this point is beyond worrying. It's frightening.

I honestly would love to see a poll asking people what is a greater reason for them voting republican: Love of Trump's policies, or hatred of Hillary.

I'd bet hatred of Hillary would be higher.

Well done Trump campaign.

You managed to bring in a person who is basically outside the campaign. You managed to go against your original messaging and internal memo. You managed to throw the potential next First Lady under the bus. You decided not to fire anyone over this. You went against the narrative your campaign manager and surrogates were using.

A FOR EFFORT! 10/10. GOLD STAR.

Hindl

The level of hate and rage from the right at this point is beyond worrying. It's frightening.

I honestly would love to see a poll asking people what is a greater reason for them voting republican: Love of Trump's policies, or hatred of Hillary.

I agree with your overall point, but I bet if you asked the same question about voting Democrat, hatred/fear of Trump would probably be higher too. Though the Hillary hatred is much more deranged and primal

HylianTom

Banned
your just having a field day of fun with this.
I really am. This week was one of Trump's few chances to change the trajectory of this race, and it's being frittered away. The media will now spend the next day or two meshing this statement with the various campaign figures' prior statements on the issue, pointing-out inconsistencies and incompetence. It's delicious!

So he knew that it was plagiarized yesterday but they were going around yesterday saying that she didn't plagiarizer anything.

Either they were lying or this is a bullshit explanation.

Nothing they did yesterday showed that they were offered this resignation.

I just had a scary thought... well a few scary thoughts :

• If they're willing to attempt to cover up something as small and obvious as this plagiarism thing... what will they not try to cover up?
• If all goes well, I should become a US Citizen in 3 years... I do NOT want my naturalization papers signed by Donald Trump :(

I gotta say, CNN has a news boner a mile long for this story. I'm really surprised.

You can only shit on the media so long before they're fed up, I guess.

I gotta say, CNN has a news boner a mile long for this story. I'm really surprised.

It's insanely popular on social media right now and gets them views. They are basically a clickbait news channel especially for political stories like this so it's not a shock. The lack of policy from the republicans makes for bad tv.

studyguy

I want off this wild ride, how does that speech not pass through a couple more heads or at least through a bit more scrutiny than one writer?

Owzers

It does bother me, if you want Obama to be sent back to Africa and Hillary to be thrown in jail ( probably without a trial because she's guilty as hell) then you can't fake tears and complain about the country being so divided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom