• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Guys, Trump doesn't need to prepare for debates. He can just lie and make things up like he has till now. Debate moderators hardly challenge things.

i hate this bullshit line of reasoning that ignores presidential debates and uses recent primary debates with 47 people on stage as a basis for the view

Farmboy

Hilarious unforced error. Again.

Still, the media should start to focus more on the hateful rhetoric of the convention. From the opening prayers naming Hillary 'the enemy' to the Christie mob justice spectacle, from the jail talk to (now) the new line that she should be shot, this is offensive and worrisome.

Now watch the GOP throw a fit next week over some DNC speaker going 'too far' in a speech.

Contempt for the government was at an all time high. Even though he was boring himself, he took the heat for all of Nixon's BS, especially after he pardoned him.

There's a reason why we elected a peanut farmer. I'd argue Jimmy Carter is the only true outsider candidate in modern history to actually win.

Carter is certainly a cautionary tale about electing an outsider candidate. One of the reasons he was an ineffective president was his difficulty in working with Congress.

The 1976 election is interesting to me for all the conflicting factors at play. You had the collapse of the Democratic New Deal coalition up against a Republican Party rocked by the Watergate scandal and a sluggish economy. Carter was a weak candidate and he squandered a huge lead in the polls, but in the end managed to stitch together enough states to get to 270. The map of that election is kind of bizarre. Carter won most states that were east of or bordering the Mississippi, but the only other states he won were Texas and Hawaii. There's a very stark east-west divide (the 1960 map is somewhat similar, but not quite as dramatic).

Jeels

Still, the media should start to focus more on the hateful rhetoric of the convention. From the opening prayers naming Hillary 'the enemy' to the Christie mob justice spectacle, from the jail talk to (now) the new line that she should be shot, this is offensive and worrisome.

Now watch the GOP throw a fit next week over some DNC speaker going 'too far' in a speech.

Yup, this is the type of shit that needs to be called out now before you end up with a BREXIT type situation and everyone is shocked.

Slacker

I love that the plagiarism explanation is so shitty that Melania will still be bombarded with questions the moment she shows her face somewhere. The handling of this situation pretty much guarantees she'll be locked away from public eyes until after the election.

It's because she left him for Huma, and especially after seeing Weiner, my wife and I were both okay with saying that we'd leave each other for Huma.

Bill's just crying because he didn't hook up with Huma, who as we all know is too good for him, for her actual husband, and really, for most people in life.
Poor Huma. Wiener was, like, a rising star in politics, too. That man could have been a top Democrat.

Did you catch the movie? I haven't, yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Poor Huma. Wiener was, like, a rising star in politics, too. That man could have been a top Democrat.

If he hadn't fucked up that second time he could potentially have been our mayor right now. If feel like he was starting to win back that trust when Carlos Danger came knocking. The damn fool.

I don't think Don Jr is dumb enough to promise "domestic and foreign policy" authority to anyone.

I think he's exactly that dumb.

gcubed

I don't think Don Jr is dumb enough to promise "domestic and foreign policy" authority to anyone.

you think trump has any policy whatsoever?

He's going to make speeches full of bombast and someone else will handle all the actual thinking part.

pigeon

Banned
Obama's going to have to revoke the pick because otherwise if republicans lose the senate they will vote him in knowing he is the best they will get. I feel awful for Garland though he seems like he was so proud to have gotten this. I think Obama should just let it go. Garland will shift the court to the left although not as left as we would want. I don't know if Citizens United could be overturned with him on the bench though

People are wildly misreading Obama on this. Obama understands how communication modeling works. He never, ever bluffs. He is not going to withdraw his nomination out of some tactical maneuver. He made the nomination because he wants Garland to be confirmed and become a justice, and he probably will.

Frankly I think people are jumping to a lot of conclusions on this. Judges aren't legislators. It is much, much more difficult to judge their tendencies and opinions and I think people are attempting to derive inferences without enough knowledge. Garland is going to be a pretty progressive justice.

If anything stuff like the plagiarism story throws Trump off balance more than calling him a hateful bigot. Stuff that makes him and his campaign look pathetic is the type of stuff that sends them scrambling for several days to find a coherent response and dredges up all manner of infighting in his team.

Somehow, Trump's campaign is relatively unembarrassed by being called out on their embrace of hate speech, but definitely is embarrassed by being sad sacks.

sphagnum

Banned
I think the funniest part of that story is actually how they specify that when Corker declined the VP job Trump just squinted at him for a few seconds and said "OK."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That press release makes Manafort look like a complete dunce. Even though we already knew, it is now 100% confirmed to the public that he was lying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People are wildly misreading Obama on this. Obama understands how communication modeling works. He never, ever bluffs. He is not going to withdraw his nomination out of some tactical maneuver. He made the nomination because he wants Garland to be confirmed and become a justice, and he probably will.

Frankly I think people are jumping to a lot of conclusions on this. Judges aren't legislators. It is much, much more difficult to judge their tendencies and opinions and I think people are attempting to derive inferences without enough knowledge. Garland is going to be a pretty progressive justice.

Exactly. Plus, by all accounts, he's brilliant and the sort of dude that should be on the bench. He's been on Obama's shortlist for a while now.

Someone pointed-out on Twitter: look at the letterhead of the letter.

Is he using corporate workers/resources for his campaign?

Holy crap, I thought that looked odd. I think this thing just opened a new can of beans.

Valhelm

contribute something
I think he's exactly that dumb.
you think trump has any policy whatsoever?

He's going to make speeches full of bombast and someone else will handle all the actual thinking part.
But Trump's only policy is build a wall. That's literally it.

Right, but this is the man with a notorious track record of unsuccessful micromanagement and reluctance to follow his advisers.

Someone pointed-out on Twitter: look at the letterhead of the letter.

Is he using corporate workers/resources for his campaign?

I mean, if he paid her for the time she spent writing the speech from campaign funds, wouldn't it technically be okay? I'm not sure on that. It definitely looks like a violation. I'm sure there are loop holes though.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Donald has said in the past he would want to be like a CEO/leader who makes decisions and speeches and then leaves the details and the day to day work to be worked out by the VPs. So it would actually work similarly where he would set the general direction but let the VP largely do the grunt work.

gcubed

so what are the rules on using staff writers from your private organization for your public campaign, and how you pay them.

I mean, she even says she is a staff writer for the trump organization, and did a campaign speech

Donald has said in the past he would want to be like a CEO/leader who makes decisions and speeches and then leaves the details and the day to day work to be worked out by the VPs. So it would actually work similarly where he would set the general direction but let the VP largely do the grunt work.

It's like Trump wants to delegate all the most important parts of actually being president to literally everyone else, but within his campaign he's been notoriously bad at not delegating the things he should be delegating to others, like his Twitter account, campaign management, message control, etc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
so what are the rules on using staff writers from your private organization for your public campaign, and how you pay them.

I mean, she even says she is a staff writer for the trump organization, and did a campaign speech

I can't imagine it's legal.

ampere

The only travesty about Garland is that he's already in his 60s. Kinda sucks to not have someone younger, but I totally understand Obama's reasoning in picking someone near the end of their career because of the risk of GoP obstruction

I love the Kasich story but it seems way too outrageous to be true

That story is exactly what I guessed Trump envisioned his day-to-day duties entailing months ago. It's the only thing that squares Trump's desire to be President with... Trump.

He wants the title and he wants to schmooze, and maybe fire off a few gutty yes/no decisions every morning after glancing at a bullet-pointed memo.

tmarg

There have to be people in the Trump campaign who are starting to realize he can't actually do the job. I don't think it's unbelievable that they have started looking for a ghost president. If they somehow won, they'd have to find one eventually.

Yeah, I saw it a couple weeks ago, and it's really great. Huma is just so cool and competent and smart, and her husband is a passionate guy who unfortunately is also a nerdy dude who thinks it's great that chicks dig him now that he's a star and has no self-control whatsoever.

The final scene is amazing.
Anthony Weiner disbelievingly watches video of his own post-election meltdown on TV while Huma knowingly eats cold pizza and ignores him on a couch in the background.
Seriously, that tableau was pretty much a perfect representation of them and their relationship as far as I could tell via the film.

It's like Trump wants to delegate all the most important parts of actually being president to literally everyone else, but within his campaign he's been notoriously bad at not delegating the things he should be delegating to others, like his Twitter account, campaign management, message control, etc.

He's all glory, no guts.

DrMungo

The biggest part will be being told he's wrong. Serious debate prep often means being told you're wrong, multiple times, and I wonder how much of that someone with Trump's ego would tolerate before bolting from the meetings.

Sarah Palin basically just memorized a page of attack lines and sound bites. She didn't do well but survived.

I wondering if Trump will do the same. When pressed by moderators, he'll just respond "I don't care" and sane people will pause with disbelief and in that split second, he will just keep rambling and bulldoze his way through.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sarah Palin basically just memorized a page of attack lines and sound bites. She didn't do well but survived.

I wondering if Trump will do the same. When pressed by moderators, he'll just respond "I don't care" and sane people will pause with disbelief and in that split second, he will just keep rambling and bulldoze his way through.

She survived because Biden had to go easy on her or look like a bully. Clinton will have no such constraint.

jmood88

Yeah, I saw it a couple weeks ago, and it's really great. Huma is just so cool and competent and smart, and her husband is a passionate guy who unfortunately is also a nerdy dude who thinks it's great that chicks dig him now that he's a star and has no self-control whatsoever.

The final scene is amazing.
Anthony Weiner disbelievingly watches video of his own post-election meltdown on TV while Huma knowingly eats cold pizza and ignores him on a couch in the background.
Seriously, that tableau was pretty much a perfect representation of them and their relationship as far as I could tell via the film.
Huma looked like she wanted to beat the shit out of him whenever they were in the same room together. I also never realized how strange it is to do remote interviews. When he was in the studio yelling with no one else around, he looked insane (he would've looked slightly crazy if he was in the same room with Lawrence O'Donnell but it looked even worse in an empty room).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Huma looked like she wanted to beat the shit out of him whenever they were in the same room together. I also never realized how strange it is to do remote interviews. When he was in the studio yelling with no one else around, he looked insane (he would've looked slightly crazy if he was in the same room with Lawrence O'Donnell but it looked even worse in an empty room).

Considering what he put her through (AGAIN!) I don't blame her. I wanted to beat the shit out of him by the end of his campaign.

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 1h1 hour ago
I'm told by a Trump adviser that McIver is considered "golden" inside TrumpLand--a discreet loyalist who has ghostwritten for years

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 59m59 minutes ago
That partly explains why Trump and family moved into protect-mode following plagiarism issue. McIver has lots of personal capital w/ them.

Robert Costa ‏@costareports 29m29 minutes ago
Per sources, Trump spent much of Tues relaxed, off Twitter & praising Melania's TV ratings. Encouraged by Manafort, he dismissed coverage.

Bizarre.

Joe Biden went easy in that debate. Leading up to the debate there was this feeling that if Biden came on too strong he'd look like a bully for picking on a relative political novice like Sarah Palin. While that alone should have been a red flag that Palin had no business being second in the line of succession to the presidency, it gave her an easy enough debate. She didn't win, but it kept her from being humiliated.

Someone as egotistical and brash as Donald Trump? I don't think Hillary will feel any need to hold back. Some may try to paint her as a "shrill bitch" if she hammers Trump's paper thin policy proposals and lack of substance, but there are those who will do that to Hillary on any given day of the week.

She survived because Biden had to go easy on her or look like a bully. Clinton will have no such constraint.

Also, it was a VP debate. Even the moderators kind of don't give a shit.

Dan Quayle held the biggest L in the history of vice presidential debates and he still wound up a heartbeat away from the Presidency for four years.

gcubed

Wow, if she's done a lot of writing like this I can't imagine how she messed up this bad.

i mean, if you follow the story and think its all true, sounds like she did a favor and didn't put much thought into it, just threw the thoughts together for her

edit... but the best part is publishing an apology for a campaign on a private organization letterhead saying that the private employee did work on the campaign. Honestly, they can't do anything right

It's Day 3 (OF 4!) of the RNC and we're still talking about the fucking plagiarism. Amazing.

Also, a Trump delegate (WHO IS A MEMBER OF THE NH STATE HOUSE) said WE SHOULD SHOOT HILLARY CLINTON.

Holmes

It's Day 3 (OF 4!) of the RNC and we're still talking about the fucking plagiarism. Amazing.

Also, a Trump delegate (WHO IS A MEMBER OF THE NH STATE HOUSE) said WE SHOULD SHOOT HILLARY CLINTON.
I want this week to be over and I'm ready for next week. Let's get some positivity and happiness.

It's unfortunate, but all it takes is one crazy person.

It takes more than one crazy person to do that now. Which is why specifically attempting to incite former military, including special forces guys, is disgusting and should be roundly rejected.

The basic message of the RNC is that Hillary killed four people at Benghazi and is guilty of treason. How do you go from that to negotiating tax code legislation with her in a year? It's impossible. As with Obama, they have rendered her illegitimate and have no interest in working with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom