• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

I want this week to be over and I'm ready for next week. Let's get some positivity and happiness.

The rhetoric being spouted at the RNC has been really disgusting in the last two days.That statement by that trump adviser just adds to it. At this point I don't think trump will get much of a convention bump and I do think hilary will benefit significantly from the DNC.I am still going to watch the RNC today and tommorrow, but I expect those days to be as awful as monday and tuesday.

Gingrich pushing Trump to issue hundreds of executive orders on first day

CLEVELAND — Newt Gingrich, who is expected to serve as a senior policy adviser in Donald Trump’s administration if the GOP nominee is elected, says he would urge a newly elected President Trump to sign as many as 300 executive orders on his first day in office.

Gingrich, who while serving as Speaker of the House in the 1990s struck deals with former President Bill Clinton to reform welfare and balance the budget, says Trump will have to build excitement in Congress to break the legislative gridlock that has defined most of President Obama’s administration.
“You’ve got an extraordinary opening day where you sign two or three hundred executive orders,” Gingrich told a gathering at The Union Club Tuesday evening.

Gingrich said one thing Trump might do right off the bat is to move the U.S. embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, something Trump pledged to do earlier this year. The move would please many pro-Israeli Jewish voters and Christians, who want Jerusalem to serve as the country’s undivided capital.

Gingrich also highlighted an executive order authorizing construction of the Keystone XL pipeline as another item on the Day One agenda.

“You have a whole bunch of stuff you can do on Day One that gives you a sense of excitement,” he said at the event in downtown Cleveland hosted by the law firm Dentons.

Executive orders from Trump could do much to unwind actions taken by President Obama, who has relied on executive actions extensively to move forward with his agenda.

Gingrigh said Trump should start preparing for his first hundred days as soon as September by meeting with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to pick five or six legislative items to pass in the first four months of 2017.

“In September, early October you try to find with McConnell and Paul Ryan five or ten big things,” he said.

Gingrich thinks Trump should unveil a list of policy proposals similar to the Contract with America, which Gingrich famously designed in 1994, to give voters a rationale for giving Republicans control of the House after 40 years of Democratic rule.

“Sometime in the next 60 days, they need to outline just a handful of big things and they need to accomplish them by April 30th, which is the hundred days, and that will build a momentum of achievement,” he said.

But Gingrich acknowledged it will be important to bring Democrats on board. Otherwise, Trump’s legislative agenda is likely to get hung up by filibusters in the Senate and other obstructionist tactics.

“They ought to get as many Democrats as they can,” he said.

Gingrich and Trump sat down for a two-and-a-half hour meeting recently in Indianapolis where they discussed the possibility of Gingrich serving as Trump’s running mate.

When it became apparent that Gingrich would likely not get the nod, Trump asked him what role he would like to serve in the administration. Gingrich asked to be given a special position akin to a tsar in charge of reviewing the federal bureaucracy.

“He said, ‘Look if you don’t get the vice presidency, what do you want?’ " Gingrich recounted. “I said I want to be the senior planner for the entire federal government and I want a letter from you that says Newt Gingrich is authorized to go to any program in any department, examine it and report directly to the president.”

He said he wanted to serve in the job without pay to have “absolute ability to say what I think.”

But Gingrich, who was one of the most divisive figure in politics when he served as Speaker — he played a central role in the 1995-1996 government shutdown and oversaw impeachment proceedings against Clinton — acknowledged that soliciting Democratic cooperation will be essential.

He said Trump is well suited to strike bipartisan deals because of his professional experience working with Democratic politicians in New York and other cities on major real estate projects.

Gingrich said that, if elected, Trump should use his deal-making skill to put together a massive infrastructure bill that would be paid for with royalties from opening federal lands to oil and gas drilling, mining and other development.

He said giving energy and mining companies access to federal lands could generate up to $1 trillion for infrastructure projects.

Fuck this.

P.S.: CNN should be embarassed for covering this landing.

jmood88

The rhetoric being spouted at the RNC has been really disgusting in the last two days.That statement by that trump adviser just adds to it. At this point I don't think trump will get much of a convention bump and I do think hilary will benefit significantly from the DNC.I am still going to watch the RNC today and tommorrow, but I expect those days tyo be as awful as monday and tuesday.
And what's irritating is that reporters refuse to say anything about it besides labeling it red meat and how great it is strategically.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gingrich pushing Trump to issue hundreds of executive orders on first day

Fuck this.

P.S.: CNN should be embarassed for covering this landing.
Gingrich said that, if elected, Trump should use his deal-making skill to put together a massive infrastructure bill that would be paid for with royalties from opening federal lands to oil and gas drilling, mining and other development.

He said giving energy and mining companies access to federal lands could generate up to $1 trillion for infrastructure projects.

Not this crap again.

gcubed

PoliGAF, what do the economists say about how to slow down health care premium increases? Pidgeon, are you well versed in this?

you have to control costs at the hospital / doctor level in order to save money. Or have a gigantic pool of insured to leverage prices.

but ultimately, costs for procedures, tests, medicine, doctors, etc are the main drivers... but this is a top to bottom change from medical school on out

Falling in line:

Vaughn Hillyard ‏@VaughnHillyard 1m1 minute ago
Jeff Roe, Cruz's campaign manager, on whether Cruz will endorse Trump tonight: "Who knows? There’s like six hours left.”

No Melania.

Mac_Lane

Falling in line:

Well, not sure about that :

In remarks to his supporters in Cleveland as Donald Trump’s plane touched down across town, Texas senator Ted Cruz confessed to his now-lost delegates that he cried after losing the Indiana primary.

“I wasn’t gonna let those SOBs turn ‘Lyin’ Ted’ into ‘Cryin’ Ted,’” Cruz said, of the nickname bestowed upon him by Trump during the divisive Republican presidential primary.

The anecdote is another nail in the coffin of the idea that Cruz, who has refused to endorse Trump after dropping out of the race on May 3, will throw his support behind the Republican nominee at tonight’s primetime speech at the Republican National Convention.

From The Guardian live.

NeoXChaos

It takes more than one crazy person to do that now. Which is why specifically attempting to incite former military, including special forces guys, is disgusting and should be roundly rejected.

The basic message of the RNC is that Hillary killed four people at Benghazi and is guilty of treason. How do you go from that to negotiating tax code legislation with her in a year? It's impossible. As with Obama, they have rendered her illegitimate and have no interest in working with her.

So what Democrats do they consider "legitimate"?

Maledict

He's not going to speak at the convention at not endorse. He wouldn't be given a slot if he wasn't going to endorse. This is all just part of the build up so that when he does back Trump, he can say how hard it was but Hillary is THAT evil it must be done.

He's not going to speak at the convention at not endorse. He wouldn't be given a slot if he wasn't going to endorse. This is all just part of the build up so that when he does back Trump, he can say how hard it was but Hillary is THAT evil it must be done.

Yep it will be a tepid endorsement but there will definitely be one.

Mac_Lane

Hope that sinks that fucker for good :

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/20/donald-trump-sexual-assault-allegations-jill-harth-interview

A woman at the centre of sexual assault allegations against Donald Trump has spoken for the first time in detail about her personal experience with the billionaire tycoon who this week became the Republican nominee for president.

Jill Harth, a makeup artist, has stayed quiet for almost 20 years about the way Trump pursued her, and – according to a lawsuit she instigated – cornered her and groped her in his daughter’s bedroom.

Universal or Single-Payer. Otherwise it's going to keep going up because insurance companies have no interest in controling costs.
Okay, well, we have universal coverage in this country by individual mandate already and it hasn't worked yet. The left told me to wait a few years for it to get started and healthcare cost growth has not receded enough to call it a success. I need more details and more solutions.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay, well, we have universal coverage in this country by individual mandate already and it hasn't worked yet. The left told me to wait a few years for it to get started and healthcare cost growth has not receded enough to call it a success. I need more details and more solutions.

Not really, the law got kneecapped by the courts.

pigeon

Banned
PoliGAF, what do the economists say about how to slow down health care premium increases? Pidgeon, are you well versed in this?

The whole story is stupid and inaccurately framed. Take a look at this:

http://www.chcf.org/publications/2015/11/individual-premiums-growth-california

Is the 13% increase this year three times higher than 2015 or 2014? Yes, it is. Because those two years were EXTREMELY LOW. If you go out just one more year, it's actually LESS than the 2013 increase and right on trendline for the last 5 years.

Universal or Single-Payer. Otherwise it's going to keep going up because insurance companies have no interest in controling costs.

Actually, they do. It's manufacturers and hospitals that have no interest in controlling costs.

Health Insurance companies are evil in their own way, but this is not one of them.

pigeon

Banned

Actually, it has. You are conflating two different metrics.

092215_CEAHealthCare-Chart3.png

Health care cost growth has dropped significantly since the ACA and it's remained low. Premium increases and health care cost growth are not directly related.

edit: Another good graph on this can be found in this report on page 12, and another on page 13: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/de..._aca_economic_impacts_5th_anniversary_cap.pdf

Individual Mandate just dictates everyone needs to have coverage, it doesn't provide it. The ACA was a stepping stone, not a final solution. The amount of cost overhead when it comes to medical care is insane, and there's nothing in the ACA that controls that.

Jeels

It takes more than one crazy person to do that now. Which is why specifically attempting to incite former military, including special forces guys, is disgusting and should be roundly rejected.

The basic message of the RNC is that Hillary killed four people at Benghazi and is guilty of treason. How do you go from that to negotiating tax code legislation with her in a year? It's impossible. As with Obama, they have rendered her illegitimate and have no interest in working with her.

Yup, thats my thing as well. At least Republicans worked with Bill. I'm afraid were going to get another 8 years where unless democrats win the house and senate, nothing will get done.

I'm not trying to be all weird or anything, but do we know if Meredith McIver
is a real person? Her only writing credits are all tied to Trump books. She has no Twitter. No LinkedIN page. She's a former ballet dancer who majored in English in college (from what we've been told). The last supposed writing credit she has was from eight years ago. I know it's not completely out of the ordinary for a ghost writer, but it seems a bit weird.

I'm not trying to be all weird or anything, but do we know if Meredith McIver
is a real person? Her only writing credits are all tied to Trump books. She has no Twitter. No LinkedIN page. She's a former ballet dancer who majored in English in college (from what we've been told). The last supposed writing credit she has was from eight years ago. I know it's not completely out of the ordinary for a ghost writer, but it seems a bit weird.

This is her on the left.

meredith2.jpg

The whole story is stupid and inaccurately framed. Take a look at this:

http://www.chcf.org/publications/2015/11/individual-premiums-growth-california

Is the 13% increase this year three times higher than 2015 or 2014? Yes, it is. Because those two years were EXTREMELY LOW. If you go out just one more year, it's actually LESS than the 2013 increase and right on trendline for the last 5 years.
Right, the 2014 and 2015 numbers were fantastic and I thought they were here to stay. If we're back to 13% then that's still untenable for the average person. But as the article noted, most people won't feel it so much because of subsidies.

Actually, it has. You are conflating two different metrics.

[graphic]

Health care cost growth has dropped significantly since the ACA and it's remained low. Premium increases and health care cost growth are not directly related.

edit: Another good graph on this can be found in this report on page 12, and another on page 13: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/de..._aca_economic_impacts_5th_anniversary_cap.pdf
I knew they were different but I didn't know they weren't correlated. I think really, to the public, the only meaningful metric is the premium, and one only talks about healthcare costs in general because high costs imply high premiums (even if low costs do not imply low premiums). In any case, the reason for the premium increases is probably due to the increase in coverage, right? If that's the case, is the loss of federal subsidy really the biggest factor here? Should I hate Republicans even more?

To nobody's surprise, she is crushing with the Latino community. Her numbers with African Americans has to have an even wider spread. Is Trump really doing that well with white people that we are seeing a close race? I thought numbers were showing Hillary doing better in some sub-groups (white women, college-educated) than Obama did plus the overall decreasing size of the electorate that is white. Can someone explain what I am missing?

I'm wondering what I should do with two Trump shirts that I have. Mind you I bought these shirts before he launched his campaign. They are made in china but they're comfy.

Holmes

To nobody's surprise, she is crushing with the Latino community. Her numbers with African Americans has to have an even wider spread. Is Trump really doing that well with white people that we are seeing a close race? I thought numbers were showing Hillary doing better in some sub-groups (white women, college-educated) than Obama did plus the overall decreasing size of the electorate that is white. Can someone explain what I am missing?
All pollsters have different voter screens. Some say the electorate will be more white than 2012, some say more conservative/Republican... so long as she improves on Obama's numbers among latinos, college educated voters and white women, I wouldn't stress, even if the polls show the race tightening in the aftermath of the last week. The DNC's coming up either way.

pigeon

Banned

Most of the polls where Trump is doing well show him getting surprisingly high Latino votes or show fewer Latino voters.

Is this the law requiring Texans to have photo ID to vote?

YUP.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/07/19/court-under-deadline-for-texas-voter-id-ruling.htm

Passed by the Republican-controlled Texas Legislature in 2011, Senate Bill 14 requires all Texas voters to come to the polls with photo identification.

The full Fifth Circuit heard arguments in May — two years after U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos blocked the law with an injunction, finding that it "will disproportionately impact low-income Texans."

Though a three-judge panel of the Fifth Circuit unanimously agreed with Ramos last year about SB 14's discriminatory effect, a stay meant to avoid voter confusion has kept the law in place for the past two years.

Back in 2014, Judge Ramos said SB 14 creates a discriminatory impact on minority voter turnout because black and Latino voters are less likely to have one of seven acceptable forms of photo ID.

The Fifth Circuit's panel ruling last year agreed with Ramos about SB 14's discriminatory effect on minority voters, but disagreed with her contention that Texas lawmakers intentionally crafted the law to disenfranchise left-leaning voters.

Crawford v. Marion County Election Board, a 2008 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that upheld an Indiana voter ID law, had been a deciding factor for the panel.

With 12 permitted forms of ID compared with Texas' seven, though, Indiana's law is less stringent than Texas' version.

Undersampled latino voters.

I'm wondering what I should do with two Trump shirts that I have. Mind you I bought these shirts before he launched his campaign. They are made in china but they're comfy.

Donate whatever you paid for them to Queen or another Democrat, and continue to wear them?

ALSO

HOLY SHIT

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/trump-university-lawsuit-documents-220181#ixzz4EyLklrni

This Meredith McIver has ties to the Trump U shit that was also heavily criticized for being plagiarized. If someone can find an A-to-B trail and tie her to this....PLEASE. .

Sianos

It sure was a bold move for the Republicans to host an entire convention dedicated to the uncoordinated and often contradictory defense of Melania Trump's plagairism. That's true unity right there!

Essentially you need to have the smoking gun in order for the court to conclude that it was done intentionally. You can have all the statistical evidence you want showing there's no other interpretation to explain it, but all they have to do is make sure they say it's for whatever pretextual reason (voter fraud) and there's basically nothing you can do unless they were stupid enough to admit it in emails or something.

So, I understand why in the context of US elections, the goal of these laws is to disenfranchise low income voters who tend to vote Democrat... However, the idea of presenting photo ID to vote is completely innocuous in a vacuum, and coming from a country where it's required to present ID, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Why is it that in one of the richest countries on Earth, presenting photo ID is this big bothersome thing?

All pollsters have different voter screens. Some say the electorate will be more white than 2012, some say more conservative/Republican... so long as she improves on Obama's numbers among latinos, college educated voters and white women, I wouldn't stress, even if the polls show the race tightening in the aftermath of the last week. The DNC's coming up either way.

Most of the polls where Trump is doing well show him getting surprisingly high Latino votes or show fewer Latino voters.

Undersampled latino voters.
Makes sense, thanks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If the GOP marketing machine has succeeded at anything, its turning that false equivalence that Clinton and Trump are equivalently abhorrent into a virtual meme. I can't even count how many times I've heard mouth-breathing idiots on Facebook and at random parties/etc. explain how they hate both Trump and Hillary as though whatever crackpot reasons people hate Hillary today are just as bad as the reasons people hate Trump, and also as though the two are somehow equivalent in their qualifications to be President of the United States.

False equivalence is the standard go-to for morons who aren't brave enough to say he doesn't actually know what any of the candidates positions are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom