• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

She does have strong favorables from minorities. It's just that it's terrible among white voters.

Even considering that, she's polling better with some white demographics than Obama. So the favorability thing might be irrelevant since Trump is the opponent. It could have been a problem against a likable GoP candidate (whoever that could have been idk)

While I'm not sure I would say she had a a majority of millennials while Sanders was still in the running, I do think people severely underestimated the support she had among the younger demographics. Just as an anecdotal story, one of my friends thought I supported Sanders until I told him I'd been for Clinton even during the primaries.

Now that Sanders is out of the running though I easily think she has the majority of support among them, and will continue to grow once people's wounds begin to heal from Sander's loss during the upcoming months.

(Also, hey guys. I've actually been lurking in this thread for around the last six months, but I figured I would finally take the time to come by and post once in a while.)

It's true that there was a natural assumption a lot of people were making than progressing + young = Bernie supporter, but it wasn't always the case. At the end of the day most young progressives will vote Democrat in November, even the ones that are grumpy about Bernie losing the primary.

Welcome btw

I just had a thought.

What if Hillary won the election but Trump won the popular vote. I mean, it's not going to happen, but how would Trump react to such a situation?

Or the GOP?

Holy shit would it be something interesting to see. I don't want it to happen but I'd like to take a peek into the alternate universe where it does.

Maledict

Sarah Palin basically just memorized a page of attack lines and sound bites. She didn't do well but survived.

Sorry, but this isn't true. As much as I dislike the woman, she knocked it out of the park with her speech at the RNC - yes, it was all attack lines and sound bites. That's what people want to hear, and remember, from a speech. Lipstick and pitbulls sticks in the mind more than Obama's amazing speech on race, for example.

Sad but her speech was exactly what McCain and crew wanted, and it really helped boost his campaign and support amongst the base. It was only afterwards that the wheels completely fell off the wagon.

Teggy

Some fire from the TX decision:

Cn1PDWTVYAAfBlj.jpg

Ted Cruz is totally giving a 2020 election speech ala Christie in 2012, isn't he?

It would be hilarious if he basically tore Trump down during the speech to speak himself up.

Ted Cruz is totally giving a 2020 election speech ala Christie in 2012, isn't he?

It would be hilarious if he basically tore Trump down during the speech to speak himself up.

If he mentions Donald Trump I'll be shocked. I think he'll just talk up why we need a real conservative in the White House, how conservative values are our only hope, etc.

CBC is removing their statement that Crist is under consideration, they misread a report that says Crist is going to Hillary's rally in Florida (which he is) as a VP rumor.

So it's still only Kaine, Vilsack, Stavridis, and Perez rumored.

I hope Ted Cruz is the future of the Republican Party. He is one of the few people I would be in confident in 2020 against

Trump but not a clear idiot and disgusting pig is the future of the GOP.

Speaking of Feingold

http://www.nbc15.com/content/news/C...-have-canceled-ads-for-Johnson-387670991.html

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A conservative group backing Republican Sen. Ron Johnson appears to have canceled $2.2 million worth of ads it had planned to run to help the incumbent in August and September.

The super PAC Freedom Partners Action Fund had previously run about $2 million worth of ads attacking Democrat Russ Feingold back in May. A Democratic media tracker said Wednesday that Freedom Partners had canceled $2.2 million worth of reserved time for television ads in August and September.

Phone and email messages left with Freedom Partners, as well as Johnson's campaign, were not immediately returned. Freedom Partners is funded by billionaire conservatives Charles and David Koch.

The news comes a day after the National Republican Senatorial Committee delayed $1.3 million in ads it had planned to run in the race.
Now we just need Ann Kirkpatrick to win, and she and Feingold can write the Kirkpatrick-Feingold Partisan Campaign Reform Act.

Mark Takai died :-(

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/u-s-congressman-mark-takai-hawaii-dies-n613511

U.S. Congressman Mark Takai, who served as the representative for Hawaii's first district, has died, NBC News has confirmed.

Takai, 49, announced in May he would not seek re-election after recently learning that his pancreatic cancer has spread. Takai had planned to serve the rest of his term, which would have ended in January 2017.

On Wednesday, his office confirmed his death in a statement:

"Today, Congressman Mark Takai passed away at home, surrounded by family. Takai represented Hawaii's 1st District in the U.S. House of Representatives during the 114th Congress and spent 20 years serving in the Hawaii State House of Representatives. In Congress Takai served as the Ranking Member of the Committee on Small Business's Subcommittee on Contracting and the Workforce in addition to being a member of the House Committee on Armed Services."

The Takai family thanks the people of Hawaii for their support during this difficult time. Information regarding a service will be available at a later time. The Takai family politely asks for the continued respect of their family's privacy."

Kid Heart

I suspect something along the lines of spending 95% of his time bashing the Dems with the last 5% being a sentence near the end saying, "oh yeah and vote Trump or something come this November." It's what pretty much everyone else is doing so I don't expect much variation from him.

It's true that there was a natural assumption a lot of people were making than progressing + young = Bernie supporter, but it wasn't always the case. At the end of the day most young progressives will vote Democrat in November, even the ones that are grumpy about Bernie losing the primary.

Welcome btw

Thanks, happy to be here. :)

Teggy

I expect Rubio and Cruz will not mention Trump. Rubio maybe once. Rubio will be a Hillary and Obama bashing speech.

Slacker

Fuck it I'm guessing its going to be Warren

I'm not sold that Warren does the most good for her demographics-wise, but man o man I would love to see her eviscerate Pence in a VP debate.

I expect Rubio and Cruz will not mention Trump. Rubio maybe once. Rubio will be a Hillary and Obama bashing speech.
Yep Rubio will say Clinton is "disqualified" over and over. Cruz will plead for the good old days. Have your nausea bags handy, folks.

Lord Fagan

I'm not sold that Warren does the most good for her demographics-wise, but man o man I would love to see her eviscerate Pence in a VP debate.

Hillary doesn't need much shoring up demographics-wise, she needs a sharp attack dog unafraid of a schoolyard bully so she can focus on talking about solving problems.

Ryan Lizza ‏@RyanLizza 50m50 minutes ago
Just talked to GOP congressman who said most under-covered story of convention is how Trump aides changed GOP platform to be more pro-Putin.

Ryan Lizza ‏@RyanLizza 34m34 minutes ago
I just asked Sam Clovis, top policy adviser to Trump, about platform language on Russia. "I can't talk about," he said and walked away.

Putin's a leader!

Wow that was fast. 2 days into the Republican Convention and /r/politics has a widely up voted post calling for party unity. The great Cleveland dumpster fire of 2016 has delivered folks!

thebloo

CBC is removing their statement that Crist is under consideration, they misread a report that says Crist is going to Hillary's rally in Florida (which he is) as a VP rumor.

They also misspelled his name.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hope Ted Cruz is the future of the Republican Party. He is one of the few people I would be in confident in 2020 against

Hillary can't even pull away from literally the worst presidential nominee in decades.

A competent person like Cruz could run a solid campaign and win.

Grexeno

Hillary can't even pull away from literally the worst presidential nominee in decades.

She can't pull away because candidate quality means fuck all in a hyperpolarized political climate.

It was embarrassing to see people give any semblanceof credibility to the CBC as having campaign sources.

Cruz would also lose.

The problem is the country is too partisan and there's "my team" and "your team" in politics to the nth degree.

There's a very good chance Hillary would have lost to another candidate but Cruz isn't one of them. Neither is Carson or Huckabee or many of the other morons and ultra conservatives.

thebloo

Cruz is much much worse. At least Trump can be funny and some people actually like him. Cruz is barely liked (at leat that's the impression) by his family.

Also, Obama couldn't "pull away" in 2008 even if he was super charismatic and was facing a hates Republican Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom