• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very good point, Trump had all the leverage, he didn't need Cruz. Why let him do this?
I can't fault Trump for assuming that Cruz would have no testicles. Surely he assumed it would go like the Walker speech, and the prepared remarks distributed were pretty harmless. Cruz rickrolled him hard, and it's freaking awesome. (Disclaimer: Nothing will beat the literal rickrolling from Monday night)

User1608

Banned
Secretary of the Status Quo is #10 globally, with about 50% of tweets some variant of "that's cool!" and the other 50% mocking it as a sad insult.Wednesdays are for tequila. Duh. (Disclaimer: This was only true in college. 15 years ago. In my dorm specifically.)
Lol I'm shocked I wanted to drink for even a moment. It's been such a beautiful mess for the GOP the last few days.
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 56s56 seconds ago

Wow, Ted Cruz got booed off the stage, didn't honor the pledge! I saw his speech two hours early but let him speak anyway. No big deal!

IT STARTS
MESS

I love how MSNBC is framing the Cruz thing as an inability for Trump to negotiate properly.

It's not a bad critique. Cruz is also a far-right nutjob, so if Trump can't even get people like that on board, he really can't negotiate with normal people.

This RNC has been a total shitshow. I legitimately don't know if one more day can save this thing for the GOP; the headlines will be horrendous for them. And after seeing this shit, there's a real chance that the media's been baited to look for plagiarism and dissent from speakers. Since the DNC knows that, they won't let either happen (speeches will be vetted early for both issues).

Pastry

Banned
Oh my god this group of people on CNN lmao

"How many of y'all would vote for Cruz if he was a candidate in 2020?"

"0%, that is 0%."

Grief.exe

Wait I thought that was a 'shop.......That is the actual, in our universe, photo?!?

gif version

giphy.gif

Teggy

Person on Twitter made an interesting point. If Trump had not gotten people to boo (as is being reported), would we really be talking about this right now? It was the scene that made it notable.

Arrggghhh I shared this on my facebook wall and one of the women I work with reacted with a shocked face and I don't know enough Spanish to even begin to explain the joke. Oh well. Still hilarious. Taken from Aaron in the OT thread.

13692608_10210220637571123_4946178800492339736_n.jpg

pigeon

Banned
Person on Twitter made an interesting point. If Trump had not gotten people to boo (as is being reported), would we really be talking about this right now? It was the scene that made it notable.

Nah, to quote myself from another thread:

This is a huge, huge issue for Trump. Ted Cruz just went on national television on prime time at the Republican National Convention and told every Republican who was doubting whether it was a good idea to vote for Donald Trump that they shouldn't do it.

This is literally the worst case scenario for Trump's convention that doesn't involve a giant meteor.

Nah, to quote myself from another thread:

Yep, it's been discussed before but I'm actually starting to think Trump will lose points in the polls from this week. Basically, all the democrats have to do is put on a relatively safe convention which they will far exceed because they have freaking Biden, Obama, and Clinton giving primetime speeches

Teggy

I can't post at the moment, but have you seen the photo of the Trump family watching Cruz? Don Jr's head looks like it is about to explode.

pigeon

Banned
Ted Cruz' speech is hardly the worst thing that could possibly happen especially when his wife was caught plagiarizing Michelle Obama.

I mean, I admit that convention is really presenting a lot of competition for "worst thing that could happen."

But I think that extremely visible party disunity for a candidate that already has trouble unifying Republican voters is worse than embarrassing and incredibly obvious incompetence.

Reasonable minds might differ!

Really doesn't matter what Trump says tomorrow

The story of the 2016 RNC is written. What people will talk about are Melania's plagiarism (which is still hilarious) and Ted Cruz.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I'm a hardcore #NeverTrump OG and I think my favorite part of tonight is that no one, absolutely no one, interprets "vote your conscience" as voting for Donald J Trump.

Holy shit, Manafort is saying NYT has misquoted Trump on NATO

This is SURREAL

Edit: NYT is saying they're going to release the transcript

itschris

New York Magazine: Republicans in Chaos Must Decide Whether to Elect a Madman

When he took the stage in Cleveland, Ted Cruz had no way of knowing that Donald Trump had given a New York Times interview repudiating America’s right even to disapprove of authoritarianism and backing away from its commitment to defend NATO allies against a Russian invasion. (“I don’t think we have a right to lecture,” Trump said of the crackdown in Turkey. “Look at what is happening in our country,” he said. “How are we going to lecture when people are shooting policemen in cold blood?”) It is not even certain that Cruz was thinking in moral terms at all. But the interview retroactively justified Cruz’s extraordinary decision to take the stage in prime time and decline to endorse his party’s nominee, even as boos rained down.

Trump’s foreign policy comments symbolize the reason a significant number of Republican intellectuals have refused to endorse him. He is ignorant and has dangerous views completely outside the normal range. He does not merely repeat bizarre conspiracy theories that some Republicans believe (Barack Obama may have faked his birth certificate) or that most Republicans believe (scientists are faking global warming). He has own own set of strange beliefs. He admires dictators and may well be heavily influenced by one. Trump’s web of ties to Putin, who has a record of attempting to manipulate foreign elections, looks even more dangerous considering his green light to Russia to annex the Baltic NATO states.

In light of the risks presented by Trump, who might break the rule of law and the democratic form of government, his party has offered a strange message. Rather than tamp down the fears of what he would do, they have inflamed them. This message came through in the warmup speakers. Former Trump business associate Phil Ruffin declared, “a tsunami is coming and his name is Donald Trump.” Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi warned, “November 8th is going to be a day of reckoning.” Mike Pence’s speech accepting the vice-presidential nomination promised, “when Donald Trump is president, the change will be huge.” He sneered at Hillary Clinton as “the secretary of the status quo.”

The status quo does not sound so bad as an alternative to the election of a madman.

Everyone share this on your social media I wanna be internet famous
Done! My 8 followers will surely be impressed! Sorry, can't offer anything more than that.
The art of the deal guy helped cruz with his speech.He's talking about trump.
https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/755981212506664960
You've got to be fucking kidding me. And Trump allowed this after his ghostwriter shat on him this past weekend? This is a Napoleon-level display of ego. (Drunken disclaimer: Napoleon eventually failed after he outsmarted himself by giving enemies too much time to think over his tactics because he thought he was invincible. TLDR; Napoleon was early 1800s Trump)

Massively late edit: I take that back. Napoleon was one of history's greatest military minds. Let's just stick with ego and belief that he was above the law and could set laws.
Seems I picked the correct night to get entirely plastered, phew.

Bowdz

I mean, I admit that convention is really presenting a lot of competition for "worst thing that could happen."

But I think that extremely visible party disunity for a candidate that already has trouble unifying Republican voters is worse than embarrassing and incredibly obvious incompetence.

Reasonable minds might differ!

I agree wholeheartedly.

Party unity has been the singular push from the GOP since the primaries ended and, at least on the surface, they did a decent job. Cruz just exposed all of their work as being a facade. The divide is still very real and Cruz just gave every Republican on the fence about Trump the go ahead to vote against him or abstain. That is the single biggest story of the convention because it cuts to the current state of the GOP.

Owzers

This NYT interview is insane, how is this lunatic getting a pass from his party? Our allies don't trust us and our enemies don't fear us but Putin, if you like the Baltics let's talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom