• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

If Hillary ends up nominating three Supreme Court justices, it's going to be so easy to run against Cruz as the guy who stabbed everybody he knew in the back. Dude is going to filibuster every goddam thing in a Clinton presidency guaranteed.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Holy shit, Manafort is saying NYT has misquoted Trump on NATO

This is SURREAL

Edit: NYT is saying they're going to release the transcript

Gentle reminder that Manafort advised Putin's govt on how to suppress Ukrainians during the uprisings a couple years ago.

Those suppressed by the tactics Manafort advised would love to tell about it, but they're dead.

Bowdz

This NYT interview is insane, how is this lunatic getting a pass from his party? Our allies don't trust us and our enemies don't fear us but Putin, if you like the Baltics let's talk.

It blows my mind. The GOP is always harping on Obama and Clinton for bowing to our enemies and not "standing up for America". Meanwhile, Trump is actually advocating for policies that cede our interests to Russia and has even praised Putin ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS. WTF?!?!?

HylianTom

Banned
SNL and specifically Weekend Update is still so hit and miss. It started pretty good and now it's kinda eh.

Yeah, I think I get to watch it maybe 1/3rd of the time. If anything's good, I watch the clip online later on. Sad, because I watched the shit out of SNL up until about 10 years ago. If Comedy Central had a marathon on (especially their Christmas Merrython), I basically spent all of my winter break in front of the TV watching.

Separate note:
Chris Matthews just quickly asked his panel (including Michael Steele, David Corn, and Robert Costa), and they all sound confident that Clinton's VP pick will be leaked tomorrow.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Done! My 8 followers will surely be impressed! Sorry, can't offer anything more than that.
You've got to be fucking kidding me. And Trump allowed this after his ghostwriter shat on him this past weekend? This is a Napoleon-level display of ego. (Drunken disclaimer: Napoleon eventually failed after he outsmarted himself by giving enemies too much time to think over his tactics because he thought he was invincible. TLDR; Napoleon was early 1800s Trump)

Massively late edit: I take that back. Napoleon was one of history's greatest military minds. Let's just stick with ego and belief that he was above the law and could set laws.
Seems I picked the correct night to get entirely plastered, phew.

Not the guy who actually wrote Art of the Deal, the guy who "wrote" it i.e. Trump.

As in, trump, the guy who "wrote the book" on negotiating got pwned, again, at his own show.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You have to wonder how much shit the press has been sitting on until Trump officially got the nomination.

Eh, I doubt the press would sit on anything. The question is; how much shit will suddenly appear in the inbox of those in the press.

itschris

It's just crazy that Pence was saying Trump would "stand by our allies" at the same time an interview came out where Trump said he wouldn't necessarily defend the Baltic countries from a Russian attack.

Effect

Yeah, I think I get to watch it maybe 1/3rd of the time. If anything's good, I watch the clip online later on. Sad, because I watched the shit out of SNL up until about 10 years ago. If Comedy Central had a marathon on (especially their Christmas Merrython), I basically spent all of my winter break in front of the TV watching.

Separate note:
Chris Matthews just quickly asked his panel (including Michael Steele, David Corn, and Robert Costa), and they all sound confident that Clinton's VP pick will be leaked tomorrow.

He also asked about the potential backlash with women to the convention in regard to how they were attacking Hillary Clinton with no actual policies being presented.

Owzers

It's just crazy that Pence was saying Trump would "stand by our allies" at the same time an interview came out where Trump said he wouldn't necessarily defend the Baltic countries from a Russian attack.
Maybe Pence meant the countries we stand by are our allies.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Here is Christie watching Pence accept the VP nomination

Cn26W4gWYAERT5K.jpg

Collecting my self and sobering up.. Cruz is going to run all the footage of republicans trashing him tonight as positive campaign material in 4 years.

Smart son of a bitch. He knows damn well that after Trump loses, the base will turn on him, and Ryan, and Mitch, and all them shit talking him will make him look like a god running next cycle. He is punting like any conservative with a brain should have.

HylianTom

Banned
NYT: Bill Clinton Said to Back Virginia’s Tim Kaine for Vice President
As Hillary Clinton prepares to make her choice for a vice-presidential candidate, Bill Clinton has privately expressed his support for Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia, according to three Democrats briefed on the conversations with the former president this week.

Mr. Clinton believes that Mr. Kaine, 58, a former governor and member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has the domestic and national security résumé that both appeals to voters and makes him prepared for the presidency. ...

People close to Mr. Clinton, who could discuss private conversations only without attribution, said that the former president had left the decision entirely to his wife and that he also has close relationships with Mr. Vilsack and Mr. Perez. ...

Democrats in contact with Mr. Kaine and his associates say their tone has shifted in recent days. After weeks of playing down their prospects of joining the Democratic ticket, the senator and his loyalists are becoming far more circumspect.

Between Trump possibly putting a fetid cherry atop this shit sundae of a convention and Hillary finally leaking a VP pick, I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight.

The spin of Trump "allowing" Cruz to speak is a complete lie, given Cruz went offscript for 13 bonus minutes. He did approve the 9-minute of the speech, though, true.

I'm going to be beyond depressed if the DNC ends up this way next week, though after Sanders' official endorsement I'm less concerned. He got almost everything he wanted on the platform, too. Some floor delegates might still be dicks. The door couldn't possibly be more open for a November win. Don't fuck this up.
Hey PoliGAFers. I heard there was fuckery about. I came to point and laugh.
Pointing and laughing is about 80% of what we do (the other 20% being gay memes in one form or another), so feel free to drop by any time!
No freaking way. No way has Manafort been the Clinton operative the whole time.

Clinton/Kaine sounds good at least. I hope the bribing story doesn't become a thing.

Also hope Kaine doesn't try to teach Spanish again on Friday in Florida.

After Trump's NATO comments, I've changed my mind on pushing foreign policy with Stavridis. Get the former supreme commander of NATO on stage and talking about this. He could effectively push how dangerous this is.

I'm fine with either Kaine or Stavridis. They both have upsides. Don't know enough about Vilsack to say.

watershed

Banned

Between Trump possibly putting a fetid cherry atop this shit sundae of a convention and Hillary finally leaking a VP pick, I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight.

I assume I'm not the right demo, but there is nothing appealing about Tim Kaine. He's generic democrat A as far as I am concerned. A not particularly young, not particularly liberal, white male democrat from Virginia. Nothing about this pick represents the future of our country.

hawk2025

I still wanted Warren. Bleh.

Ok, ok.

Someone explain the Cruz thing to me, from Trump's incentives.

Was it pure hubris? Did he somehow think that he would come out of that looking better, and so he let the speech through? Or did he think that he had brought Cruz to heel, and expected a different... tone from the speech?

Nothing makes sense to me. Cruz's incentives make sense, of course, but Trump? The campaign in general?

I can't believe the party of neocons is really nominating a man who loves Saddam and Putin.

Rubio and Cotton are fucking neocons, get some backbone and defend your ideology instead of endorsing Trump.

I can't believe the party of neocons is really nominating a man who loves Saddam and Putin.

Rubio and Cotton are fucking neocons, get some backbone and defend your ideology instead of endorsing Trump.
Cruz has a massive leg-up on them in terms of grabbing the base in 2020, as a result. "I was the only guy who wouldn't submit to Donald Trump" is a big freaking deal. After watching Cruz I'm curious if Rubio or Walker would like to walk things back a bit. Even Gingrich. He was smart enough to adapt his speech on the fly (legitimately not easy under the pressure) and he had to know what was going on.

pigeon

Banned
I still wanted Warren. Bleh.

Ok, ok.

Someone explain the Cruz thing to me, from Trump's incentives.

Was it pure hubris? Did he somehow think that he would come out of that looking better, and so he let the speech through? Or did he think that he had brought Cruz to heel, and expected a different... tone from the speech?

Nothing makes sense to me. Cruz's incentives make sense, of course, but Trump? The campaign in general?

Trump is stupid and incompetent.

Cruz gave up the opportunity to have his name placed into nomination. I suspect the deal there was to get the speaking slot without endorsing.

The most likely theory from my perspective is that Trump just didn't bother to have anybody else to read the speech carefully. He thought he could humiliate Cruz by having him booed and that would be sufficient punishment for not endorsing.

Remember, Trump just doesn't think in terms of rational strategies for accomplishing goals. He thinks in terms of dominance and threats.

Zeke

So that Laura Ingraham debacle is fun. I wonder if the media will pick it up in the morning. That picture is perfect representation of the current gop

Iolo

So that Laura Ingraham debacle is fun. I wonder if the media will pick it up in the morning. That picture is perfect representation of the current gop

I'd rather them hit the NATO thing hard. There are so many controversies, so little time.

itschris

I think between the NATO comments and Trump's praise for dictators, the Clinton campaign should be able to effectively portray voting for Trump as an unacceptable risk - a danger to the country and the world. Now, obviously there's going to be ~40% that will vote for him no matter what, but I can definitely see this message keeping Hillary comfortably ahead if they can get it out there well enough.

User1608

Banned
Okay but no little dinosaurs or dried fruit. You get oatmeal and a teaspoon of Splenda.
Aww.;.;

I'm just glad we got a relatively liberal and progressive nominee in Hillary. So while a bit disappointing, it's nothing to be bummed out about. I'm sure Kaine will be do just fine.

PD had this theory that there was some kind of deal made that Tom Perriello would get a senate seat out of thisif he didn't run for Gov in 2013, making way for McAuliffe. I'm kinda starting to believe it if Kane is the pick

sphagnum

Banned
I assume I'm not the right demo, but there is nothing appealing about Tim Kaine. He's generic democrat A as far as I am concerned. A not particularly young, not particularly liberal, white male democrat from Virginia. Nothing about this pick represents the future of our country.

Well, he speaks Spanish.

Vahagn

Except they're not Neo-Cons. The party is about 4 things:

White supremacy
Christian supremacy
Male supremacy
Heterosexual supremacy.

95% of what the party does filters through that prism. They were neo-cons when we were killing Muslims. They don't give a shit what Russians or Germans do or don't do.

It's like how they filter the constitution through white/male/heterosexual/supremacy. Separation of church and state doesn't apply to christianity. No religious test doesn't apply to Muslims. 5th ammendment protections don't apply to women or minorities. On down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom