• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shem935

Banned
Yes, I may have jumped the gun a bit lol. We shall see.

Eh we are all anxious to just rip off the bandaid lol. Tired of the relentless negativity in the news. Hoping for some positives next week.

vv also yeah. Still she has a campaign event for it. Not sure if she can push it off.

I don't think they will announce until Saturday (maybe even push it to Sunday) at this point. No reason to cut short the news cycles that replay this shitshow.

Cruz sent out a fundraising email tonight

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

amy walterVerified account
‏@amyewalter
For anyone unclear on whether Cruz's speech was a set up for 2020, here's the fundraising email he sent out tonite

jiggle

After tonight
There's no reason to leak anything to steal trump's thunder
Everyone will only be talking about Et Tu Crute anyway

The funny thing is that this is probably going to hurt Cruz come 2020. The guy is not built to survive in the " early frontrunner hated by everyone" role. The guy was already a candidate with pretty narrow appeal within the Republican party and he's just expanding the base of people who will loathe him.

The funny thing is that this is probably going to hurt Cruz come 2020. The guy is not built to survive in the " early frontrunner hated by everyone" role.
This depends a lot on how much Trump is humiliated. If it's a brutal, ruthless defeat, being any single person who refused to submit is a big plus. Through the primaries he's screamed about how disastrous Trump being the nominee would be. If it's close or there's any linger resentment of a Hillary steal or other bullshit, then yeah I'd agree. Also, I'd totally consider Cruz to be someone that tried to primary a Trump in power. That'd be awesome, assuming we survived until 2019.

...I'm getting way too much of a schadenfreude buzz off this tonight, wow. Plus, this would perpetuate the cycle of "we didn't nominate a TRUE conservative!" yet another 4 years and practically assure another Democratic win.

Holmes

I don't think they will announce until Saturday (maybe even push it to Sunday) at this point. No reason to cut short the news cycles that replay this shitshow.
They'll replay it regardless, but with Clinton and her running mate also in the news, they'd be seen as the alternative.

Advocates for Mr. Kaine are guardedly optimistic about his prospects, although Mr. Clinton has expressed some hesitation about the Virginia senator because of the risk of losing Mr. Kaine’s Senate seat to a Republican, according to two Democrats briefed on the deliberations.

Choosing Mr. Kaine could alter the balance of power in Congress should Democrats retake the Senate this year but gain a one-seat majority. While Gov. Terry McAuliffe of Virginia could appoint a Democrat to succeed Mr. Kaine next year, the seat would be up for grabs in a special election that would coincide with the state’s governor contest in November 2017.

With Republicans typically faring better in such “off-off year” elections, when turnout dips, Democrats could lose what was Mr. Kaine’s Senate seat just a year after Mrs. Clinton is sworn in, a political risk both the Clintons have been acutely aware of as they weighed the pros and cons of vice-presidential candidates.

There's still time!

(It's Kaine)

Woah woah woah, wait, the Ingraham photo isn't a photoshop? Why does it have a big Getty images thing on it then? The giant monitor actually displayed that?

Woah woah woah, wait, the Ingraham photo isn't a photoshop? Why does it have a big Getty images thing on it then? The giant monitor actually displayed that?

I believe that's a watermark that isn't removed until your purchase the image.

getty sells images to news orgs

edit: Why am I watching CNN at 2:30 am?

I believe that's a watermark that isn't removed until your purchase the image.

getty sells images to news orgs

Oh okay so people are just hot-linking to Getty's watermarked image, gotcha. I mistakenly assumed a clean copy would have got out there by now, so I just thought someone took a Getty watermarked image of Trump and shopped it in on the monitor.

Wow, that's so crazy now that I know it's actually real.

I'm obviously not thinking at peak capacity because I just realized that if someone was going to photoshop something like that they would have removed the Getty images thing right off the bat ><

Farmboy

Yeah, Cruz is betting big on buyers' remorse. Not a bad gamble, especially since he ends up looking principled rather than the calculating little weasel he actually is. Gotta respect the play. And thoroughly enjoy yet another ruined night/narrative for team Trump, of course.

I've made my peace with Kaine. Good do-no-harm pick. Solid. Qualified to be president (which is pretty important). Doesn't look like we need anything more.

This Cruz thing is going to be all anything talks about til Trump speaks.

What a disaster this has been. Remember earlier today I spoke about the important speeches and well, I'll be honest, I never imagined the other possible important one.

The one that undermines the nominee and basically tells them not to vote for them.

hahaha. Oh my god I can't believe this is going on.

watershed

Banned
Well, he speaks Spanish.

Maybe it's a personal problem of mine. I appreciate the history Hillary has the chance to make if she wins the presidency. But I'm not comforted by the idea of 4 old white people roaming the country for the next several months telling us about the future of the US. Politics is overwhelmingly white as it is and that is a huge problem. I feel like the tickets will extenuate the problem.

Yeah, Cruz is betting big on buyers' remorse. Not a bad gamble, especially since he ends up looking principled rather than the calculating little weasel he actually is. Gotta respect the play. And thoroughly enjoy yet another ruined night/narrative for team Trump, of course.

I've made my peace with Kaine. Good do-no-harm pick. Solid. Qualified to be president (which is pretty important). Doesn't look like we need anything more.

I'm still hoping for Becerra or Warren. I'll take Kaine over Vilsack though.

Ophelion

Pretty much. Seems like we're only complaining about Kaine because there's nothing left to complain about. VP's a boring ass job. Kaine will be perfect for it. Senator is an important job. Warren is perfect where she is. Queen will be president. Racist Orange's campaign will die as it lived: televised live like the bullshit mockery-of-American-values reality TV show it's always been.

All we have to put up with now is genius armchair pundits going, "Republican primary candidates underestimated Trump, look what happened to them!" and "You saying you think you'll win is exactly why you'll lose. You've jinxed it for all Democrats. Even admitting you might win gives Trump All The Power!!!!"

Whatever. I don't even know if she has to keep hitting him for him to lose at this point. She can and will and should anyway. He certainly deserves it. And the wider we can make her winning margin, the better. But he seems...really done. And the RNC aint even over yet.

There's still time!

(It's Kaine)
Virginias senate seat is less safe over a year from now than MA's seat would be in a couple months. Less solid blue, less options to run, better opposition. Kaine is more valuable in the senate than Warren in that regard.

We have a fucking Kennedy! just pick Warren and run him! Son of a bitch ffs

Virginias senate seat is less safe over a year from now than MA's seat would be in a couple months. Less solid blue, less options to run, better opposition. Kaine is more valuable in the senate than Warren in that regard.

We have a fucking Kennedy! just pick Warren and run him! Son of a bitch ffs

But with Tim Kaine, we can get a guy that moves the needle not at all in his home state which is already safely blue if Hillary is going to win the election.

I hope Kaine does support abortion now for real because his comments when he was governor or running for it were really bad.

Parental consent; ban partial birth; informed consent

While saying that he supports Roe and that he does not want to criminalize abortion, Kaine voiced support for three abortion restrictions.
He backs a parental consent law in Virginia which has a judicial bypass. He supports a ban on "partial birth abortions so long as there is an exception for the life and health of the mother". He also favors an "informed consent provision" in Virginia which requires abortion providers to "give women information about a whole series of things, the health consequences, et cetera, and information about adoption."

"Those, I have supported," said Kaine. "But I don't think ultimately we ought to be criminalizing abortion."

Source: ABC News: Politics Blog , Jul 31, 2008

Promote abstinence; ban partial-birth abortion

I will reduce abortion in Virginia by enforcing current Virginia restrictions, passing an enforceable ban on partial-birth abortion, ensuring women&#8217;s access to health care (including legal contraception), and promoting abstinence-focused education and adoption. We should reduce abortion in this manner, rather than by criminalizing women and doctors.
Source: 2005 Gubernatorial campaign website kaine2005.org, &#8220;Issues&#8221; , Nov 8, 2005

But with Tim Kaine, we can get a guy that moves the needle not at all in his home state which is already safely blue if Hillary is going to win the election.

That's why I don't get the Kaine pick. He doesn't add anything to the ticket. If you're gonna go with an older white dude, at least make sure he has Military Experience, or something.

I hope Kaine does support abortion now for real because his comments when he was governor or running for it were really bad.

You don't even have to go back that far. He just said the other week basically "I think abortion is wrong because my religion says it is, but oh well whatever"

pigeon

Banned
I think "vote your conscience" is going to be the next Sherman pledge, in that people will still reference that particular phrasing as coded political language in a hundred years.

watershed

Banned
Kaine is just the wrong pick. And Vilsack and other guy whose name I can't spell off-hand don't seem much better. It's unfortunate to me that Hillary feels she has progressives locked up and is more interested in making a pick to appeal to white male voters who don't support Trump.

fauxtrot

Banned
Kaine, ugh.

He is not the future of the of party... and if he is, lots of young people aren't going to want to be a part of it. I'm really hoping Hillary sets up a future candidate that has a chance in 2024 and/or uses the VP pick to help bridge the gap with those that think she is not "liberal enough".

pigeon

Banned
Kaine is just the wrong pick. And Vilsack and other guy whose name I can't spell off-hand don't seem much better. It's unfortunate to me that Hillary feels she has progressives locked up and is more interested in making a pick to appeal to white male voters who don't support Trump.

I don't think that's quite right. Hillary loves the prevent defense, and as discussed constantly in this thread, VPs are all about not screwing up. Hillary wouldn't be trying to appeal to white male voters, she would just be trying to make a pick that nobody can be that mad about.

I still prefer Warren now but whatever. Ultimately it really doesn't matter.

I still prefer Warren now but whatever. Ultimately it really doesn't matter.

Everyone does. It's universally a better pick. There is nothing to be gained out of picking Kaine for VP. We're already on pace to have the first woman President, are they afraid having 2 women on the ticket will scare voters away or something?

Sibylus

Banned
A pick that isn't a woman or a minority person I feel is a profound missed opportunity. There won't be a better fuckup than Trump to make the country "ready".

A pick that isn't a woman or a minority person I feel is a profound missed opportunity. There won't be a better fuckup than Trump to make the country "ready".

Exactly. I think this is the time for Liberals to go all in, and picking an old white dude from Virginia is like the tap water of candidates.

fauxtrot

Banned
A lot of people in both parties have looked at a Hillary presidency as an inevitability for the last decade or more, so it almost feels like a dual woman ticket or a not-all-white ticket is needed to make it feel as historic/progressive as it really should... and that makes me kind of sad, actually.

Mhmm. I'll be really disappointed if such a boring, uninspired choice like Kaine is made. Especially when he is older and seems to be less liberal than Hillary on certain issues. I want a non-white and/or female VP who, eight years from now, could be prepped to be a Democrat darling.

Plus, the whole issue with losing Virginia in the midterms; I'd rather see someone like Warren, who if she were VP, would most likely not see her previous position controlled by a Republican. Maybe someone like Castro, who not only could accelerate blue Texas, but also is young enough that we would have a younger President who can safely avoid any issues of people questioning his age.

mo60

No one knows if her VP pick is Kaine for sure. The clinton camp has mostly been quiet about their VP process and have not really given much hints yet. All we know so far is that kaine is one of her VP finalists and that bill favours him. Anyway I wonder what controversy will help define the RNC tommorrow.

Also some unknown FM of a NATO country told a reporter that the election of trump is the end of the west.
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/755962430304428033

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom