• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangi

South Carolina back to red on the Now Cast. Hillary is doomed.

giphy.gif

Irrelevant. They're claiming America was great because of how great white people were and how most everyone else knew their place, not because of it's tax brackets.

Exactly. A significant portion of these people think their take home pay goes then when they enter a higher tax bracket...

gcubed

He'll be fine once the Trump movement is defeated bigly.

yup, Cruz will be untouchable with the "i told all you assholes" when Trump posts the worst pop vote beating in a GE in a LONG time.

If other politicians can't see this outcome right now, they deserve to stay behind him

Link

The Autumn Wind
Irrelevant. They're claiming America was great because of how great white people were and how most everyone else knew their place, not because of it's tax brackets.
Don't get me wrong, I know exactly what "Make America Great Again" means, but Trump and Republicans (specifically baby boomers) are always harping on the fact about how much better the country was economically back in the day.

What I'm saying is you can look no further than Reagan's tax cuts. And while Democrats are always hammering Trickle Down Economics as being ineffective, I never hear anyone bring up what tax rates used to be when this country arguable had its biggest booms and became a global superpower.

yup, Cruz will be untouchable with the "i told all you assholes" when Trump posts the worst pop vote beating in a GE in a LONG time.

If other politicians can't see this outcome right now, they deserve to stay behind him

If by untouchable you mean that he will be a regional candidate hated by everyone other than evangelicals or movement conservatives, then sure. Cruz alienating the Trump base is a death knell to him ever winning a Presidential primary, not that he had a particularly good chance before.

]It is out of her control if it pass the lame duck[/B]. Some anti-TPP will pressure Hillary to get rid of it or lessen it's influence if she is president. I doubt she will focus much on that. I don't think it'll effect the mid-terms unless republicans does a 180 on their own policies and campaign against it.

She needed to be sort of against it because fully supporting it will leave fractures in the Democratic Party and wants the party to seem unified. She does not need the party to look like it is fighting against each other now.

People won't care if it's out of her control. She has positioned her self to be against it. If it passes it will be a broken campaign promise before she even gets in office. Very few people believe her opposition to it is genuine. It's like campaigning on bringing down gas prices and then claiming unforseen factors were at play when it doesn't go down. Don't campaign on something if you really can't influence it.

And when your biggest issue with the voters is your trustworthyness and this notion that you will "do and say whatever it takes to get elected", giving lip service to anti-TPP sentiments just to give the face of party unity is arguably worse than being upfront about it now. And if it won't be a factor in 2018 and I'm exaggerating how it will come into play two years from now then not opposing it shouldn't be the type of party fracturing issue this election, which it already arguably is because the current sitting democratic president supports it.

gcubed

If by untouchable you mean that he will be a regional candidate hated by everyone other than evangelicals or movement conservatives, then sure. Cruz alienating the Trump base is a death knell to him ever winning a Presidential primary, not that he had a particularly good chance before.

The Trump base will be completely marginalized by an embarrassing destruction in the GE. He won't have a chance in 2020 anyway as I assume more sane people will be on the ballot, but the Trump base will not pick another winner, so they are inconsequential

The Trump base will be completely marginalized by an embarrassing destruction in the GE. He won't have a chance in 2020 anyway as I assume more sane people will be on the ballot, but the Trump base will not pick another winner, so they are inconsequential

40% of the Republican base that votes in primaries isn't disappearing in 4 years. Another Trump won't win in 2020, but that voting bloc will be there.

Gruco

Banned
website is expanding quickly: https://www.evanmcmullin.com/issues

he supports a strong america that creates good jobs and has a smartly run government and has no abortion on demand and replacing the failed obamacare
Sounds like the type of bold leadership this country has been looking for.

Cruz's stunt was amusing, but it was hardly good politics for someone wanting to be win a future Republican Presidential primary.
It's bad politics if trying to win a GOP Congressional primary this year, but the payoff to winning a future presidential presidential primary is uncertain. I don't think anyone can make any hard predictions about the future of Trumpism. In four years Trump could easily be remembered as the idiot loser who RUINED EVERYTHING with a name as toxic as GW Bush.

I think it'll just pass in the lame duck and nobody will even remember it by 2018.
I really want this to be true, and I do think that it will pass in the lame duck, but I don't share your optimism that it will be forgotten. People are still bitching about NAFTA.

It's bad politics if trying to win a GOP Congressional primary this year, but the payoff to winning a future presidential presidential primary is uncertain. I don't think anyone can make any hard predictions about the future of Trumpism. In four years Trump could easily be remembered as the idiot loser who RUINED EVERYTHING with a name as toxic as GW Bush.

It depends on who the candidate is really. A more mainstream Republican could benefit from denouncing Trump, but Cruz has such a narrow path that already relies on dominating deep red states where Trump is popular that I don't see putting himself out there as an obstructionist to Trump as a smart move.

But really I'm mostly reacting to the idea that some have about how Cruz is some political genius because of the convention. He's not a favorite in 2020.

Well, I doubt there will be much of an attempt to reach across the aisle this time around if the Dems gain control of Congress. Big mistake for Obama. If he would have only known what was in store for him from the Legislative branch.

If Hillary gets a D senate and D house, the filibuster dies.

We had a chance to kill it before and didn't, right? Not sure why we would now. Seems like both sides like to keep it as a check for when a party has control of all three.

What are the chances of a House swap anyway? I know the Senate is the much better chance.

We had a chance to kill it before and didn't, right? Not sure why we would now. Seems like both sides like to keep it as a check for when a party has control of all three.
The Republicans would scrap it the moment they controlled the Presidency and Congress. The check won't work.
What are the chances of a House swap anyway? I know the Senate is the much better chance.
Basically the Democrats need to win the overall vote by a large enough margin to overcome the gerrymander and Trump is making that a possibility.

Bowdz

Well, I doubt there will be much of an attempt to reach across the aisle this time around if the Dems gain control of Congress. Big mistake for Obama. If he would have only known what was in store for him from the Legislative branch.

If the Dems take the Senate and House, they better just ram through everything they can at a breakneck speed. The GOP made gains is the midterms by saying nothing has gotten done and everything sucks despite the policies of the Dems being blocked at every turn.

They need to push through everything they can to at least ensure that the country will feel the effects of their policies and so that they can campaign on them in the midterms.

Rubenov

You guys laugh, but I bet you Wolf Blitzer utters the words 'dead heat' between now and November. Likely more than once.

If Hillary gets a D senate and D house, the filibuster dies.

Can you imagine exactly this happening?

1) Tim Kaine, as presiding officer of the senate, moves that the Senate declares the senate rule that rule changes can be filibustered is unconstitutional.
2) The senate passes the motion by simple majority.
3) The senate changes the filibuster rule by simple majority.
4) Republican tears.

Bowdz

You guys laugh, but I bet you Wolf Blitzer utters the words 'dead heat' between now and November. Likely more than once.

"Stand by for our Key Race Alert in just a moment. WOW look at how close it is in Texas. It is far to early to tell. LOOK it just changed again, still VERY close."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Getting rid of the filibuster is probably not a good idea until 2020 when redistricting happens. The Democrats don't want to abolish the filibuster then get stuck on the wrong side of it.

the 2020 House elections are so important to do well in. IMO they'll define America's direction politically for decades.

Emarv

Seriously, the Democratic sit-in was a noble thing, but they best prepare themselves for silly Republican demonstrations like that if they lose the House.

Ted Cruz is gonna live on that floor like the temper tantrum baby he is.

kirblar

Because Obama was naive and thought he could work with the GOP with an overwhelming mandate.

Hillary was right about this approach in '08 and got vindicated. She won't make the same mistake.
The Republicans would scrap it the moment they controlled the Presidency and Congress. The check won't work.
Bingo. It almost died under Bush.

Getting rid of the filibuster is probably not a good idea until 2020 when redistricting happens. The Democrats don't want to abolish the filibuster then get stuck on the wrong side of it.

the 2020 House elections are so important to do well in. IMO they'll define America's direction politically for decades.

Which is why the Supreme Court is so important. They can check and balance the House, and redistricting rules themselves.

• Michael Bennet, Colorado
• Maria Cantwell, Washington
• Tom Carper, Delaware
• Chris Coons, Delaware
• Dianne Feinstein, California
• Heidi Heitkamp, North Dakota
• Tim Kaine, Virginia
• Claire McCaskill, Missouri
• Patty Murray, Washington
• Bill Nelson, Florida
• Jeanne Shaheen, New Hampshire
• Mark Warner, Virginia
• Ron Wyden, Oregon

Does anyone know if we can still count on these senate democrats to vote for TPP when the time comes and/or if Tim Kaine's replacement will be for it?

It kills me that Boxer isn't supporting it, especially since it's a bill which you couldn't argue hurts California and is very likely to greatly help it.

Emarv

This is why I'm pessimistic the filibuster will ever leave. There's always something on the horizon that's too important to give it up for.

Thanks for that Graph. I know I've seen it in here, but for some reason I thought that only applied to the senate and that the house was generally considered out of reach. Having control of all three could be huge for those first two years.

And yes ... I'm a pessimist regarding getting rid of the Filibusterer.

kirblar

Does anyone know if we can still count on these senate democrats to vote for TPP when the time comes and/or if Tim Kaine's replacement will be for it?

It kills me that Boxer isn't supporting it, especially since it's a bill which you couldn't argue hurts California and is very likely to greatly help it.
Kaine hasn't resigned.

Seriously, the Democratic sit-in was a noble thing, but they best prepare themselves for silly Republican demonstrations like that if they lose the House.

Ted Cruz is gonna live on that floor like the temper tantrum baby he is.

They would have done it anyway, as we've already seen. We can't not do something out of fear of Republican retaliation, because as we've seen, they don't need legitimate precedents or reasons for doing anything. They'll jump the gun and imagine scenarios where what they are doing is a response to.

I guess I'm not too sure how I'd feel about axing the filibuster. In principle I'm all for it, but I think there is something noble about demanding a broader consensus for significant reform legislation. It only falters when there are bad actors in the minority party as there are now.

As it is, it's hard to pass something like ACA. But once it's law, it's even harder to get rid of it. It can be frustrating but it might actually just be a good thing.

I guess I'm not too sure how I'd feel about axing the filibuster. In principle I'm all for it, but I think there is something noble about demanding a broader consensus for significant reform legislation. It only falters when there are bad actors in the minority party as there are now.

As it is, it's hard to pass something like ACA. But once it's law, it's even harder to get rid of it. It can be frustrating but it might actually just be a good thing.

Obstruction has hurt this country so badly that I can't really think the filibuster is a great tool for democracy.

hawk2025

If someone believes the proportion needed to pass something should be higher, by all means, shoot for changing that.

The filibuster is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom