• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

Here's to hoping that the Kansas poll is not an aberration and that Texas shows something similar or closer. After today's comments, I want the big prize this year. I hope Hilldawg snatches the GOP's soul and turns Texas blue to give the biggest fuck you to Trump as possible.

Uhh.... so this guy just won a GoP primary today

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/763226014826782720

edit: beaten, but this deserves a lot of attention
That does not appear to be condoning slavery, per se. Instead I see it as a very poorly worded argument that attempts to draw parallels between the justification in banning slavery and outlawing SSM. Here, Lewis is trying to sell the idea that "If it doesn't affect you, why does it matter" is not a valid defense of gay marriage. He ignores that marriage is between consenting adults, of course, and inadvertently reveals how completely irrelevant black people are to him by forgetting to think of the slaves in his comparison.

So actually, yeah, fuck him.

Vahagn

That does not appear to be condoning slavery, per se. Instead I see it as a very poorly worded argument that attempts to draw parallels between the justification in banning slavery and outlawing SSM. Here, Lewis is trying to sell the idea that "If it doesn't affect you, why does it matter" is not a valid defense of gay marriage. He ignores that marriage is between consenting adults, of course, and inadvertently reveals how completely irrelevant black people are to him by forgetting to think of the slaves in his comparison.

So actually, yeah, fuck him.

That's not it. He's defending slavery, he's asking why slavery was abolished if that argument can be applied to other things.

Zereta

Guys, in light on this 2A bullshit, explain something to me:

Isn't the democrats' position on guns:

1. Folks on terror watchlists should not be sold guns
2. Gun licenses need to be checked even at gun shows

?

Now, I'm a Democrat-leaning liberal, progressive whatever else the right wing would label me as (I'm also a non-American potential immigrant so the right wing REALLY hate me)

BUT

What exactly is wrong with that? All those regulations would do is ensure the wrong people don't get access to guns and everyone else just has to go through a basic check that is what should be done anyway in the first place?

It seems to me the Republicans are exploding the issue into something that doesn't even exist and the people cheering this on are just ignorant and uneducated.

Am I right? Tell me I'm wrong because this is disgusting. Talk about lying to the American people when you yourselves are doing the exact same thing.

?

Now, I'm a Democrat-leaning liberal, progressive whatever else the right wing would label me as (I'm also a non-American potential immigrant so the right wing REALLY hate me)

BUT

What exactly is wrong with that? All those regulations would do is ensure the wrong people don't get access to guns and everyone else just has to go through a basic check that is what should be done anyway in the first place?

It seems to me the Republicans are exploding the issue into something that doesn't even exist and the people cheering this on are just ignorant and uneducated.

Am I right? Tell me I'm wrong because this is disgusting. Talk about lying to the American people when you yourselves are doing the exact same thing.
These are two of the main positions, and the vast majority of Americans, including republicans support them. The problem is the NRA does not. They control the republican voting bloq as well as moderate democrats.

BUT

The Right to Bear Arms is in the Constitution, and the Right likes to pride themselves on being traditionalists, and following the Constitution implicitly. Any barrier between people and their ability to purchase or own guns is therefore and affront to the Constitution. I'm not saying any of this makes sense, but that is their logic.

Vahagn

?

BUT

There are some liberals who think we should ban all guns. They don't represent the majority. But conservatives and the NRA, always prone to absurd conspiracy theory and hyperbole, think any law is meant to destroy the American ability to withstand a Nazi level holocaust against white real Americans. They're right wing nut jobs.

Bowdz

?

BUT

Sadly, you are right and it is disgusting. The far right has been told that ANY gun regulation is just going to be a stepping stone to the eventual removal of their guns despite Obama and Clinton emphatically stating that that is not their end goal. To make matters worse, the NRA pushes this bullshit narrative because they are part of, and are fully funded by, gun manufacturers who have seen their bottom lines rise because of the atmosphere of fear that many gun owners live in. It is one of the most blatantly corrupt and disgusting portions of American political life and has, as a result of these terribly lax gun laws, directly caused the needless deaths of hundreds of Americans in the form of mass shootings and tens of thousands of Americans due to gun violence in urban cities.

Grief.exe

Just to explain further as this point can be confusing as it's called the 'gun show loophole,' but there the problem actually goes much further than that. It's actually a private sale loophole, where sales between people online, at gunshows, or in person are not tracked at all for background checks. It's a huge problem.

?

BUT

Nothing wrong with the second. The first can be debated due to the lack of due process with the list. (The hypocrisy, of course, is you don't hear the same people demanding changes to the list.)

It doesn't matter, though. The NRA doesn't want regulation, and therefore we will not have it. It's strictly business, and there's money to be made with guns flowing freely.

aliengmr

?

BUT

This will explain it

Just to explain further as this point can be confusing as it's called the 'gun show loophole,' but there the problem actually goes much further than that. It's actually a private sale loophole, where sales between people online, at gunshows, or in person are not tracked at all for background checks. It's a huge problem.

That's not entirely true. It may be a state-by-state thing or something specific to the sites my room mate uses and frequents, but a lot of sites now require you ship it to a registered arms dealer and go through the standard wait through them.

I can live with Paulsen getting re-elected. At least he seems like a normal republican in the Boehner mold.

Lewis? Fuck that. That would be an even bigger embarrassment that Bachmann. Dude is a fucking pro-slavery white nationalist!
That's just it though. Boehner Republicans suck. I don't think they deserve brownie points for sucking less than other Republicans.

Paulsen voted the same way as Bachmann on almost every major issue. This is a district that went for Obama twice, we can do better than a Republican who's willing to kind-of-maybe support passing a budget every once in a while.

That has to be the most polarizing race I've ever seen. A white supremacist loving Republican who thinks outlawing slavery is a Government overreach, against a Democrat who is both a successful businesswomen and a Lesbian with a family of 4. That is going to be an interesting one to keep an eye on, and I hope she wins.
The future of America versus the past.

typist

?

BUT

Yeah the Republicans are just creating straw men. They accuse the Democrats of wanting to take away everyone's guns when pretty much no Democrats actually suggest that.

Grief.exe

That's not entirely true. It may be a state-by-state thing or something specific to the sites my room mate uses and frequents, but a lot of sites now require you ship it to a registered arms dealer and go through the standard wait through them.

Gun laws very massively state by state, or even in specific cities, but generally if you are purchasing a used gun from a person there is no background check. What your roommate may be doing is purchasing a new or used weapon from a dealer, which would require an FFA.

It is possible your states laws have taken into account from this loophole, but this needs to be pushed forward federally.

Zereta

Thanks for all the replies guys! Yea, I know about how the NRA is pulling the strings behind the scenes. Fucking disgusting. Trump, the man "against the establishment" fighting for a "cause" that half the establishment is fighting for because their pockets are being lined with money.

Stay classy, Republicans.

Gun laws very massively state by state, or even in specific cities, but generally if you are purchasing a used gun from a person there is no background check. What your roommate may be doing is purchasing a new weapon from a dealer, which would require an FFA.

It is possible your states laws have taken into account from this loophole, but this needs to be pushed forward federally.

I live in VT so I highly doubt it. Pretty sure I can open carry around a school if I so choose...

Bowdz

Republicans are SCRUBS

FUCKING SCRUBLETS

Also, has anyone else pointed out how the cornerstone of the GOP's foreign policy strategy in 2012 was claiming that the President's remark that Benghazi was a "act of terror" was not the same thing as saying it was a "terrorist attack" and yet now, they are saying "no man, it's all good. Donny just misspoke, he's not an English major, he didn't mean that". The party that makes fucking MOUNTAINS out of the smallest of verbal molehills is trying to say that Trump's words really don't matter. It is infuriating that they haven't been called out by this.

The biggest problems facing white people right now are the struggles of poor white women in the South.

The issues of poor white women in the South are: Poverty, drug addiction, mental illness, obesity, self-esteem.

Trump's comments on these issues:

Poverty: "Eliminate the estate tax."
Drug addiction: "Kill Mexicans."
Mental illness: "Depression isn't real, autism is caused by vaccines."
Obesity and self esteem: "Fat women are disgusting losers. Women that get sexually harassed at work are losers. Punish women who get abortions."

Finally, a man looking out for white people.

edit: I know autism isn't comparable to depression, I just included that example to show bad Trump's understanding of the human brain is to show that he would probably also be a bad mental health president.

The biggest problems facing white people right now are the struggles of poor white women in the South.

The issues of poor white women in the South are: Poverty, drug addiction, mental illness, obesity, self-esteem.

Trump's comments on these issues:

Poverty: "Eliminate the estate tax."
Drug addiction: "Kill Mexicans."
Mental illness: "Depression isn't real, autism is caused by vaccines."
Obesity and self esteem: "Fat women are disgusting losers. Women that get sexually harassed at work are losers. Punish women who get abortions."

Finally, a man looking out for white people.

Yet, exclusively White people support him. It's almost like the Electorate has stockholm syndrome or something...

Yet, exclusively White people support him. It's almost like the Electorate has stockholm syndrome or something...

The white people voting for him just hate black people and Muslims as their main issues.

I just get irritated when pundits say that Trump is looking out for white people and that Dems need to start doing that. If you're a poor white woman in the South who is not racist, Trump is offering you the opportunity to make your health insurance more expensive while he belittles you for being fat and ugly. That's it.

The white people voting for him just hate black people and Muslims as their main issues.

I just get irritated when pundits say that Trump is looking out for white people and that Dems need to start doing that. If you're a poor white woman in the South who is not racist, Trump is offering you the opportunity to make your health insurance more expensive while he belittles you for being fat and ugly. That's it.

Honestly they hate everyone that isn't them, they would hate the racist next to them the minute they found out they make more than them of have a nicer car or home etc.

Vahagn

I called his supporters white supremacists in that other forum and got banned. Glad u agree with me.

I called his supporters white supremacists in that other forum and got banned. Glad u agree with me.

I think there's like 25% of Trump's supporters that aren't fans of him but think Hillary is the devil because she's a woman who supports abortion and thus are voting for Trump.

The other 75% I'm okay with describing that certain way.

I'm just saying that for white people who aren't rich and aren't racist and don't think abortion is murder, Trump is offering absolutely nothing and this shouldn't be debated anymore.

I want to do a satire piece about anti-PC writers, is this good or bad at mocking the people who want statues of John C. Calhoun and Robert E. Lee up and say any other opinion is "censoring history" (TW: Rape and child molestation).

Leading libertarian thought leaders argue against Penn State censoring history by removing Joe Paterno Statue.

Leading libertarian thought leaders have finally found an issue of importance to deal with: Penn State’s erasure of history.

Penn State recently removed the statue of child rape advocate Joe Paterno. Joe Paterno was originally honored with a statue for being a good football coach, but the statue was removed after Paterno’s decades of encouragement of child rape was discovered.

“It [removing the statue] was kind of a no-brainer after we discovered that Paterno’s sum total of achievement in life was enabling dozens of children to be raped just to win football games,” an anonymous Penn State staffer, still fearing for his safety, told us. “I mean, he was good at coaching football, but it’s just a game and he let those kids get raped.”

Libertarians have taken another point of view.

“This is erasing history,” said a libertarian man who doesn’t seem to realize that Joe Paterno will only be remembered for allowing children to get raped and will probably be remembered for decades.

“Without this statue for his disturbing fans to worship, people will forget all about what Joe Paterno did,” offered another libertarian man who seemed unaware of the fact that the statue has no reference whatsoever to child rape and wouldn’t seem to help inform future students about Paterno’s willingness to let children be raped.

“I’m glad we finally have people on our side nationally regarding the Joe Paterno statue,” said one Penn State donor. “Let’s just all get back and remember how good Joe Pa was at helping young men grow.”

“I’m totally in favor of restoring the statue,” said a Penn State student who keeps his four year old daughter locked in a dungeon where he rapes her each day. “PC culture has just gone way too far.”

CpeGAjrWIAA5LvI.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/763226014826782720

He's running against a lesbian!!

Sianos

I want to do a satire piece about anti-PC writers, is this good or bad at mocking the people who want statues of John C. Calhoun and Robert E. Lee up and say any other opinion is "censoring history" (TW: Rape and child molestation).

The last line is a little bit on the nose and quite the abrupt escalation in tone, but other than that I like it.

I think the "helping young men grow" line is that more subtle kind of stinger that would be perfect to end with. Has a bit more impact to it because people would let their guard down at first, then realize the implications.

LOCK

So I was arguing with a Trump supporter on periscope and he was using longroom to say Trump was going to win in a landslide.

Oh and Putin isn't so bad cause he's a great business man worth 300 billion.

I gave up.

atr0cious

If you want to be a little more subtle, maybe take out libertarian, and just have one of them say something to the effect of "Let the free market decide what he's known for." Good write up otherwise.

Farmboy

I don't like the average Trump supporter any more than you do, but they are a diverse group. Some great pieces have been written about this in the past months. Dave Eggers in the Guardian for one. Many of them are just really, really low-information voters, is the impression that I get.

There was another good article that I can't find right now but will link later.

Diablos

Wow. All the shouting. CNN is slowly turning into Fox.

Don is right though. These CNN anchors need to keep calling them out.

Guys, predictit has a question 'Will Trump drop out by August 31st'. Lol.
It's definitely possible. He might just completely lose it and go off the rails and his family will have an intervention of sorts with him. I'm not saying it will happen but it's possible.

So...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/u...n-foundation-and-state-dept-overlap.html?_r=0

Is this new e-mail thing that lol Morning Joe was talking about a big deal or a nothing burger and more or less stuff we already knew about? I think upon giving it a quick scan-over it's probably nothing that the Trump campaign will desperately try to make something, but will just blur into all the other e-mail stuff surrounding Clinton and nobody will really care regardless, but I'm not sure. Either way, thank God for Donald Trump's 2nd Amendment comments and his inability to not constantly be putting his foot in his mouth to drown this nonsense out.

So...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/u...n-foundation-and-state-dept-overlap.html?_r=0

Is this new e-mail thing that lol Morning Joe was talking about a big deal or a nothing burger and more or less stuff we already knew about? I think upon giving it a quick scan-over it's probably nothing that the Trump campaign will desperately try to make something, but will just blur into all the other e-mail stuff surrounding Clinton and nobody will really care regardless, but I'm not sure. Either way, thank God for Donald Trump's 2nd Amendment comments and his inability to not constantly be putting his foot in his mouth to drown this nonsense out.

Reading the quotes it sure sounds like a nothing burger. Vague enough that her enemies will be like... there could be something here... but vague enough that the denial is all completely plausible.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it's pretty bad because it speaks to everything people dislike about her. But like for context the article was published yesterday! Trump's craziness completely buried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom