• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

Is this image on the Huffington Post front page photoshopped?
G2jrFjF.jpg

I mean...either it's photoshopped or that is a smaller person's hand pointing, right?

I mean, I heard the jokes and always assumed it was people just being petty but this picture was really the first time where it stuck out to me. That hand is much too small for the person wielding it. It's down the point where it looks photoshopped to me and I'm not even kidding about it.

]

PM3YYGRh.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's not legal. If it is TECHNICALLY legal, then it's just skeezy and wrong as fuck.

From an FEC perspective, it's legal. I'm not sure about like...consumer protection laws. It's gross as fuck.

I just got a phone call from Strickland's people asking me to donate. I sent a bit there way, but it's a damn waste. Fuck.

I'm not that surprised at the big lead Clinton has in the polls, as I expected her to at least semi-dominate from the convention onward. It's just the fact that Trump pulled ahead at all briefly, and now she's leading by even more than I expected.

If it weren't for her dip and his bounce, I probably wouldn't be all that surprised. But such a huge swing in so short a time! My only latent Diablosing is that if the polls could swing this fast, that they could swing back. But I don't think so. I think there's a reverse-bandwagon effect going on and it won't be all that close again, even after a correction.

Aceun

Speaking of diablosing, I'm kinda sad that it's not a convention week. I miss the daily coverage and podcasts. Who knew I liked unconventional conventions. I guess the trumpster fire is engaging enough.

Balphon

HEH. If you're going to flip Oregon, you're not going to do it by hanging out in fucking Portland. Again, there's good folk in Portland. He should spend a lot of money. I'm sure we'd all be more than happy to inject some of that fabulous Trump cash into our economies. We're not going to do anything for him for that money. But we'll happily take it off his hands. That's what we call the art of the deal, right?

Oh I know, I live in Portland.

It looks like Trump's whole west coast swing is for fundraising and limited to $5000/plate rubber chicken dinners.

Though I am serious in saying that the first west coast state to flip would be OR, if such a thing were going to happen. The electorate is incredibly white compared to CA and HI and skews lower income than WA last I checked.

Oh I know, I live in Portland.

It looks like Trump's whole west coast swing is for fundraising and limited to $5000/plate rubber chicken dinners.

Though I am serious in saying that the first west coast state to flip would be OR, if such a thing were going to happen.

"and that's why Oregon is just the worst"-cdyhybrid

:p

TopDreg

I live in Portland as well. The one thing that could flip this state red is if enough former Bernie bros decided to not vote for Hillary. We have a remarkable echo-chamber around here pushing political ignorance on the far-left. It's in the state's culture to be 'different'.

I doubt that'll happen though. Trump scares people here all the same.

Valhelm

contribute something
Assuming Trump loses in November (which is becoming a safer and safer bet to make), what kind of legacy will he have among the GOP?

I wonder if they're gonna see him as some kind of shyster who tricked the base into nominating him, but he might be their Savanarola, a fanatic who they regretfully agreed to follow in desperate times.

KMS

Also live in Portland and before the conventions was a little worried it would go red a few weeks ago. The Bernie love and Hillary hate ratio is a higher in this state and thought if Trump could get a good chunk of Bernie supporters would make it possible for him to win the state.

Of course he didn't just fail to flip the switch at the convention to a general election candidate but even created a trumpster dumpster fire making his entire campaign too hot to handle for even staunch Republican loyalists.

I don't think there was any chance of Oregon going red. Portland is a lot more than white millennials (though there are a ton of white people in Portland). Bernie or Bust just isn't that big of a movement.

Assuming Trump loses in November (which is becoming a safer and safer bet to make), what kind of legacy will he have among the GOP?

I wonder if they're gonna see him as some kind of shyster who tricked the base into nominating him, but he might be their Savanarola, a fanatic who they regretfully agreed to follow in desperate times.

The first one. Shyster is a lawyer though. "Fraud" is the word you are looking for.

Piecake

I think his legacy is that the GOP will recognize that they are very susceptible to a social conservative and populist white nationalist, since populist white nationalism is what a good portion of their base truly identifies with.

A GOP candidate who dog whistles the white nationalist message, but keeps the social conservative and populist views would have a very good chance of winning the nomination. The GOP obviously wants to figure out how to stop that because what they truly care about is fiscal conservativism, and Trump has shown that the GOP base doesn't really give two shits about fiscal conservatism.

So yea, I think he is more of a Savanarola, but a Savanarola that laid bare key differences in the conservative coalition that a more competent politician could take advantage of and maybe ride into the presidency.

I don't know if the GOP party is going to identify with because they have been denying that their base is largely made up of white nationalists for a long time now.

itschris

Washington Post: Did Paul Ryan just predict that Clinton will win in a landslide?

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) sent an urgent fundraising appeal on Thursday evening that warned: “If we fail to protect our majority in Congress, we could be handing President Hillary Clinton a blank check.”

Whether or not it was intentional, the phrase “blank check” has a political echo — one that suggests a deep fear by congressional Republicans that a sinking presidential candidate could take their majorities in the House and Senate with him, and that they are getting ready to desert him.

It goes back 20 years, to an infamous chapter in internecine Republican politics. In the weeks before the 1996 presidential election, as it became clearer and clearer the GOP nominee Bob Dole would not defeat incumbent president Bill Clinton, Republican operatives began urging their struggling congressional candidates to begin making the argument: “Let’s not give Clinton a blank check.”

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

2020's GOP Nominee will run on the platform of "Least I'm not Trump".

Though, given his ego, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries again, and his base is dumb enough to vote him in again.

mo60

2020's GOP Nominee will run on the platform of "Least I'm not Trump".

Though, given his ego, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries again, and his base is dumb enough to vote him in again.

Trump is not dumb enough to try to get the GOP nomination again. If he won the republican nomination in 2020 also he will get crushed worse in the 2020 general than in this election.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is such a non story, but I love to laugh at Paul Ryan.

Not really. I've seen a few people here on GAF predicting that there's a point where the GOP totally abandons Trump, give up on the White House and totally focus on saving their control of Congress.

Okay, uh, is this real?

And did it get posted?

tl;dr: Gov. of Missouri got called to serve in court as a public defender in response to his increasingly severe budget cuts to the PD's office.

2016 is the Year of Fuckery.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not really. I've seen a few people here on GAF predicting that there's a point where the GOP totally abandons Trump, give up on the White House and totally focus on saving their control of Congress.

Pretty much, but that won't be for another month if it does happen. It's part of why I wish he was doing all this in October when it's too late for them to do anything.

mo60

Okay, uh, is this real?

And did it get posted?

tl;dr: Gov. of Missouri got called to serve in court as a public defender in response to his increasingly severe budget cuts to the PD's office.

2016 is the Year of Fuckery.

The Gop can't catch a break this year.

has this one been posted?

Latest poll: Hillary Clinton is up 40 points in the Philly suburbs

http://billypenn.com/2016/08/04/latest-poll-hillary-clinton-is-up-40-points-in-the-philly-suburbs/

Philadelphia is won and lost in the four counties outside Philadelphia — Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Bucks. A third of the state’s 8.2 million registered voters are in Philly and its suburbs. Those four counties have fluctuated in voter registration over the last several years, but still have a relatively balanced party registration compared to, say, Philadelphia, where Democrats hold an 8-to-1 advantage.

I'm hoping this year will be the last of the "PA is a swing state!" nonsense...but I know it won't be.

Would ditching Trump and focusing on down-ballot actually change much given the increase in straight-ticket voting? Also considering how his supporters would totally turn on the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom