• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
That's possible. But no matter how much money you have...coming essentially off the street and ending up at this point in the campaign with let's say an estimated 20% probability of becoming POTUS is damn good. Time will tell what happens next.

In any event, I think it's very impressive and suggests skill at this line of work. Donald is a pretty good businessman. He certainly hasn't squandered all the opportunities he's been given like so many fortunate people do. His biggest negative IMO is that he's taken advantage of too many bankruptcies. I think politics is his calling tbh.

He certainly has a political future in Russia.

jevity

How so? One candidate who is skilled at building relationships with elites and would be a historic milestone (if elected) stands between Donald and him becoming POTUS. He's excellent at politics for the most part.

He is not excellent at politics.

He is a tragic laughing stock on stupid.

Joeytj

Banned
Also, unrelated to politics but NBC is the fucking worst.

Olympics? I'm watching it live online here in Mexico, where billionaire Carlos Slim bought the rights just to mess with the major two networks and his business rivals, despite the fact that he doesn't own a traditional media network, only online media.

TheFatOne

This new Trump is adorable. All that shit talking about prompters and he has to keep looking down at his prepared talking points to stay on message. Sad.

That's possible. But no matter how much money you have...coming essentially off the street and ending up at this point in the campaign with let's say an estimated 20% probability of becoming POTUS is damn good. Time will tell what happens next.

In any event, I think it's very impressive and suggests skill at this line of work. Donald is a pretty good businessman. He certainly hasn't squandered all the opportunities he's been given like so many fortunate people do. His biggest negative IMO is that he's taken advantage of too many bankruptcies. I think politics is his calling tbh.

Trump has performed below the market average as a real estate developer in the NY area over his career.

TheFatOne

Of course this new Trump comes across as insincere to me, but I am biased. Wonder how this plays out to the regular folk the next few weeks. Although, I doubt he has it in him to stay on message.

Edit: Ohh that is a new one. Haven't heard Trump talk about the House and Senate. Seems like a first for his rallies.

Of course this new Trump comes across as insincere to me, but I am biased. Wonder how this plays out to the regular folk the next few weeks. Although, I doubt he has it in him to stay on message.

I think he's done far too much permanent damage to his campaign to ever recover. He might gain, like, 2-3 points, but it won't matter at all.

Christ, Trump reading from notes is almost as bad as a teleprompter.

And lolno, the GOP is not the Big Tent party anymore.
This feels like it's set up to be Trump's first GE ad:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/761711856457125888
This is a bad ad. It's not outright awful, but it's just dull.

Awful optics, with the headline of the start being "FBI not recommending charges against Clinton," and later "FBI Chief: No evidence Clinton lied to FBI." This is completely against the whole damn point of the ad. It says, "hey, boy she sure is crooked but she's not charged with anything so obviously it wasn't THAT bad!"

And +1 for screw NBC. I'll find a way to watch this later uninterrupted.
That voter ID bullshit. HERE WE GO!
At least he's talking about it in a state that's actually been impacted by a court decision! Though this might just be a coincidence.

Ryan boooooooooooooooooooooo. That was awkward! Staring at a paper saying it and all...

TopDreg

Trump is trying so hard to get that Bernie crowd.

Him reading off his booklet is so... blatant and hilariously ironic. He can hardly keep his eyes at the crowd! He comes off as a broken man, bent more and more by the criticism from all angles.

TheFatOne

LOLs I'm pretty sure Trump is seething on the inside on the way he had to endorse Ryan. Wanted to show dominance early this week, and it completely backfired on him. These endorsements lol. I think endorsement in NH will actually hurt her lol. Free advertising.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I support (looks at paper ) and I endorse..(let me look at the paper) our speaker of the house (looks at paper) paul ryan

pigeon

Banned
I don't want to brainchild up this thread so I am going to limit my posts on this topic, since clearly I am not in the majority. I'm disappointed in the lack of solidarity though :p

Cmon. He is at least not Heulen, which means there is some self-awareness ergo he's not an alien.

That doesn't make it better, that makes it worse. Huelen is like the one poster I wouldn't call a racist for supporting Trump because there is no way to be sure they even understand the decision they're supposed to be making. That's like yelling at a 6-year-old. Most posters get more credit than that and thus they get more responsibility for their choices.

Poligaf cannot become insulated echo chamber.

This argument is about 9 months too late because that's when this thread got taken over by a bunch of hardline Hillary supporters who spent that period giving shit to every Bernie Sanders supporter that wandered by. That would have been a good opportunity to worry about us becoming an echo chamber, but those days are done.

The position of "we should be relentlessly aggressive towards Sanders supporters but we have to be nice to people voting for the Nazi" seems absolutely deranged to me, and yet that seems to be the position of a bunch of people in this thread. Rethink this.

I don't think that's clear at all. Sounds to me like he is new to politics and maybe naive/gullible to how things really work.

He has avoided or dodged every poster asking him for any information about Trump's positions or why he supports them, not just me. He is not that different from qwerty.

A) Don't be so sure about the "founded on racism" bit - it was founded on oppression, but not just of slaves.

The point is that America was explicitly built, when founded, to give rich whites the right to enslave people because of their race, and people fought a civil war to try to protect that right when they felt it was in danger, so it doesn't require much effort to understand why there are Americans today who are racists. This stuff is deep in American blood and it's frankly frustrating to see people pretend that racism was just invented when we started losing manufacturing jobs. Get real.

As for "pivoting towards whiteness"; I'm not even sure what that really means,

A while ago back in another chat you mentioned that you expected Hillary to come out of the primary and immediately start moving away from her racial justice campaigning towards positions that would be more effective at siphoning white support from Trump. I disagreed with you at the time but clearly you were right. That's all I was referencing when I assigned that to you :)

Yes, but it may not be a priority issue for them.

That's not acceptable. This is literally a serious version of the joke poster saying "well yeah Trump is a racist but I really want lower taxes." If you genuinely think that potentially electing a white nationalist is not the top priority issue for you than your priority structure is immoral and you should be shamed by your peers so that it's clear to you that that's the case.

This conversation is really disappointing to me because it shows that Trump has already succeeded. The crazy racists at the RNC are right -- they have successfully normalized overt racism in the political discourse. It's okay to be a white nationalist in America again. Progressives will sit down at the table with you and try to find common ground. I am deeply disheartened. It took one year to go from 2015 to 1964.

Like I said, I can buy that large-scale shaming can be very effective. To use gay rights again - increasingly progress here is made just because nobody is willing to be the next Maggie Gallagher. It's hard to transmit this stuff to other people or to organize a movement because everyone will call you a bigot. Large companies will do things like boycott states that pass bad laws because everyone knows that being anti-gay is just not a good look. But as the gay rights example suggests, I'm not sure that this works very well when people don't perceive that the shaming is coming from just about everywhere.

This is actually my argument. That is why it's so important to set a clear example of solidarity and reject and shame racism wherever it appears. That is why that's what I expect from people, and why I'm disappointed. It doesn't take many people saying "well, sure, that's racist, but let's try to get along anyway" to make the social pressure to not be racist disappear.

Syncytia

He has to read off the paper.

I support (reads paper)

I mean, this is essentially him losing, right... besides all the bad media against him since the conventions, not endorsing Ryan kind of blew up. Endorsing all three of them is really just a concession by him to the establishment.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
If any one is queen of corruption, it's kev. Get it right trump.

I mean, this is essentially him losing, right... besides all the bad media against him since the conventions, not endorsing Ryan kind of blew up. Endorsing all three of them is really just a concession by him to the establishment.

So, he compromised. Did he win the deal or lose the deal? Was it the best deal of all time? Did he win so much that he got tired of winning?

NeoXChaos

CpH8MmdWEAQEqcZ.jpg

TheFatOne

He had no choice. He quickly found out his bullshit in the primaries just doesn't work in the general. You can't hop from one controversy to the next, and expect to court voters. That stuff plays to your base and your base only. Once those new poll numbers came out specifically the NH, and PA that's when shit got real for Republicans. It showed two things. One he's going to have a damn hard time winning the general. Two that Trump on the top of the ticket can actually hurt them. Now he has to try and walk back all his shit over the last few months. What Republicans should be worrying about now is if it's already too late to do so. Is he just a zombie nominee right now.

TheFatOne

Also I hope Sanders is really starting to regret that unqualified comment now. Shit was such an obvious slam dunk comment to snatch for Republicans.

Gruco

Banned
I think he's done far too much permanent damage to his campaign to ever recover. He might gain, like, 2-3 points, but it won't matter at all.
Yeah, there is no recovering from this last week. He has bled too much public support and gone too far to walk back. This isn't something he can etch a sketch. He has demonstrated himself to be unfit for the presidency. And not for the first time. The public sees him and knows him for what he is at this point.

Maybe he can keep up tele Trump for a while. I mean, I doubt it. But maybe! That won't help. He can't be boring while being this far behind. He needs a way to shake up the race while also not being insane. If there's a play to make that happen, I certainly don't see what it is.

But let's be real. He'll be boring for a few days, get upset about not being energetic enough, see an ad or surrogate or tweet attack him, and lose his shit all over again. This week alone can fill attack ads for the whole campaign.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Trump moving to the SCOTUS argument makes me nervous. I think that will really, really get traction with Republicans who don't like him.

jbug617

Banned
I thought Colorado was out of play for Trump. Why is he buying ads there?

Does confirm that Arizona and Georgia are in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom